HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

It's the end of August and there are eight teams outside the cap

Old
08-26-2008, 11:20 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Actually there is a difference. If a player makes $5 million/year for example and is replaced by a player making only $3 million then the $3 million replacement counts as a $5 million against the cap (the cap figure of the injured player). So there is a $2 million difference between the two scenarios.
And, if a team is below the cap and replacement player(s) do not cause them to exceed the Upper Limit, they get ZERO cap relief from LTIR.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Atlanta will go above the floor once Bogosian is signed.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:04 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
I don't think Hatcher counts for Philly's cap
I think Hatcher counts...Rathje may not though

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
For shame, Darth ... relying on a source that states up front that it's not very accurate. I figured you would have learned this long ago.

Phoenix is over $40.7 million, no problem - and they still have 1-2 roster spots to fill [which will likely be done from within].
IB, what is the penality if a team does not meet the floor?

08-27-2008, 01:28 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

The Sundin saga is handcuffing the NHL. As soon as that plays out we'll see a lot of action.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 01:31 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Actually there is a difference. If a player makes $5 million/year for example and is replaced by a player making only $3 million then the $3 million replacement counts as a $5 million against the cap (the cap figure of the injured player). So there is a $2 million difference between the two scenarios.
Yeah but you can use that $2 to sign other players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
And, if a team is below the cap and replacement player(s) do not cause them to exceed the Upper Limit, they get ZERO cap relief from LTIR.
I don't see a difference. Why would cap relief matter if you're not exceeding the cap?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:12 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

What happens if you don't get under/over the ceiling/floor?

Does the team forfeit draft picks? Or?

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:17 AM
deanosaur

Season doesn't start for another month...
I'll bring this topic up if this problem is still there a week before game day.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
When Dean Lombardi gets up off his ass, the Kings might actually be able to ice a team. There is no excuse Patrick O'Sullivan has yet to agree to a contract unless he is holding out for a trade.

The teams over the cap are fine, they just have some roster moves to make. Those numbers have moved around all offseason. People just want to see things happen because it's August and there's nothing to talk about.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:17 AM
matt trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
they have to sign Alexei Semenov to a $10 million contract.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Hatcher and Rathje both count right now, but once the season starts the Flyers will declare both players LTIR and the Flyers will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 under the cap.
Hatcher says he wants to play but its doubtfull he passes his physical.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 05:05 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I can bet that Montreal and Edmonton are each going to make one big move and take on a big salary (both were trying do so on July 1st with Sundin and Hossa/Jagr respectively). I doubt both teams go into the season with 5+ million in cap space.

I think Montreal will go after either Nylander, Lang or Schneider, but it's anyone's guess who Edmonton will go after (maybe Havlat? He's no Hossa or Jagr, but still productive when healthy), or perhaps a goalie since they're carrying three right now.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 07:16 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
For shame, Darth ... relying on a source that states up front that it's not very accurate. I figured you would have learned this long ago.
Update your UFA and RFA lists. Close to half of the UFA list have signed in Europe or the AHL already, and there are several RFAs that have re-signed or signed in Europe.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I think Hatcher counts...Rathje may not though
They both count until the start of training camp. Then they will probably be LTIR.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:15 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
They both count until the start of training camp. Then they will probably be LTIR.
exactly. Same deal with pothier in washington.

there is only one team actually in trouble, and they cant just hide someone in the minors because of internal salary budget as well: The Anaheim (formerly Mighty) Ducks, and they have plenty of time to deal with that.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:46 AM
marc1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
He counts until he doesn't pass the physical. Is the physical before or after the date the NHL says teams have to be under?
On RDS Carbonneau told the media that there was a rule change and now every team needs to do the physical on sept. 19th...

marc1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
well Bob Gainey has publicely admitted that plan B after Sundin is to go after an offensive center from a team that's over the cap
Uh, no. What he publically admitted was that there were some teams over the cap and "maybe we'll discuss things with those teams".

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Funny, but a few years ago this whole forum was in an uproar when the Devils were over the cap. Now, that it's about 5 or 6 teams over and a few under, it's ho-hum.

And who declares Hatcher unable to play? I guess it's the same doctors who examined Mogilny.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Funny, but a few years ago this whole forum was in an uproar when the Devils were over the cap. Now, that it's about 5 or 6 teams over and a few under, it's ho-hum.

And who declares Hatcher unable to play? I guess it's the same doctors who examined Mogilny.
and malakov

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:24 AM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
The Sundin saga is handcuffing the NHL. As soon as that plays out we'll see a lot of action.
This I completely agree with.
See, I think teams are still holding out for Sundin so they can show they're committed to him, and want him - but need to have that $7.5-$10M to fit him in.
After he makes his decision, I feel the floodgates will open and there will be lots of movement.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Yeah but you can use that $2 to sign other players.
No....you cannot. If the injured player is a $5 million cap hit and the player taking his spot is a $3 million cap hit then the $3 million players salary does not count....so he is essentially now a $5 million player. A team does not get to "bank" the unused portion of the cap relief.

Quote:
I don't see a difference. Why would cap relief matter if you're not exceeding the cap?
The team only gets cap relief if the player designated to replace the injured player causes the team to go over the cap. If not then both the injured player and his replacement will count towards the cap.

Let's say a team is $7 million under the cap and they have a $4 million player going on the long term IR. His replacement only makes $3 million. So both players together ($7 million combined) would take the team to the cap ceiling (but not over). The team is essentially at the cap limit. They could acquire someone making $4 million or less to be the "new replacement player" and that person's salary would not count......but the injured player's salary would always be accumulating against the cap (before and after the acquisition). Cap relief is not retro-active.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post

I think it is just as imperative now as it was back then.....if not more so. Because with so many teams close to (or over) the cap there are not nearly as many teams to pawn a salary dump off to. There is always a way for teams to waive players and try to hide them in the AHL. But many owners are already complaining they cannot make a profit. How is having a couple $1 million+ players on your minor league team going to help with that situation?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
I think it is just as imperative now as it was back then.....if not more so. Because with so many teams close to (or over) the cap there are not nearly as many teams to pawn a salary dump off to. There is always a way for teams to waive players and try to hide them in the AHL. But many owners are already complaining they cannot make a profit. How is having a couple $1 million+ players on your minor league team going to help with that situation?
I agree with you. I just brought up the fact because a few years ago many on this board wondered that Lomariello was unable to operate in a capped NHL, while hardly a mention of the current GM's who seem to be in cap trouble 3 years into a cap system league.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:13 PM
mapes

Everyone's waiting for Sundins decision

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Oh no - duck and cover.

Quote:
If a team is below the cap early in the season, the LTIR player (and replacements) still irreversibly consume cap space that could be used later in the season - ie pick up a high salary players at the deadline. If the LTIR player truly did not count against the cap, the team could bank a significant cap surplus that would allow them to ice a team whose salaries exceeded the cap later in the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
and malakov

Vlad was never declared medically unfit. He just unofficially retired to Florida and refused to report. Lou suspended him, but his salary still counted against the cap due to the 35+ yo rule. Genius Lou had to throw away a 1st rounder in order for the Sharks to take Vlad's cap hit off his hands.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote