Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2008, 01:57 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Well, if you are right Backlund is deluding himself. He talked about a lack of ice time with Vasteras, and he spoke of going back to Sweden to help the team make it into the elite league.

You really make Backlund sound like a terrible prospect. Perhaps I do paint too rosy a picture based on his WJC performance, but if he is as terrible a prospect as you make him sound, I wonder why they even invited him to play on that team.
He's not terrible, he's just one of those rare Europeans that can be relied upon at both ends of the ice. He was really valuable to that Swedish team.

The thing is, he dominates against inferior opposition. That remakr about 7 points in 5 games rings loud, as does more than half of his WJC points coming in the 10-0 drubbing of Denmark.

But keep in mind Backlund was the player of the game against tougher opposition too. The kid plays a North American game, it's something I really noticed in the WJC. He scrums along the boards, he checks, he comes back to help on D, and he's got a decent set of hands to boot. He's not a terrible prospect, but he's not as great as Flames fans are making him out to be.

Hell, the same goes for Schremp. Comparisons to Briere and Savard are insane. I'd be happy if he becomes a 60 point player at some point in his career, which isn't out of the ordinary given the fact he's going to be playing a plethora of PP minutes, and some sheltered ES time too.

Old
08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
He's not terrible, he's just one of those rare Europeans that can be relied upon at both ends of the ice. He was really valuable to that Swedish team.

The thing is, he dominates against inferior opposition. That remakr about 7 points in 5 games rings loud, as does more than half of his WJC points coming in the 10-0 drubbing of Denmark.

But keep in mind Backlund was the player of the game against tougher opposition too. The kid plays a North American game, it's something I really noticed in the WJC. He scrums along the boards, he checks, he comes back to help on D, and he's got a decent set of hands to boot. He's not a terrible prospect, but he's not as great as Flames fans are making him out to be.

Hell, the same goes for Schremp. Comparisons to Briere and Savard are insane. I'd be happy if he becomes a 60 point player at some point in his career, which isn't out of the ordinary given the fact he's going to be playing a plethora of PP minutes, and some sheltered ES time too.
I dunno the way you describe Backlund makes him sound pretty great to me lol. If and when Shremp ever learns to play defence he might break an NHL roster but I don't see that for the next while.

Old
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
As for being realistic...are Flames fans not permitted to be excited about a prospect without having you come on THE FLAMES board and piss all over it?
I am not going to comment on who I think is better, as I really dont know anything about Backlund.

You guys are allowed to be excited about a prospect, and I would be too with the lack of top end prospects coming through the system, but when the title essentially reads "Flames VS Oilers" you have to expect some Oiler fans to show up.

In fact it seems like abracanada was wanting them to come in when he made this thread.

Old
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
but he's not as great as Flames fans are making him out to be..
Curious, how great are Flames fans making him out to be in your estimation?

Old
08-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Hyde

Quote:
...are Flames fans not permitted to be excited about a prospect without having you come on THE FLAMES board and piss all over it?

^^^This bears repeating.

Seriously why can’t Flames fans discuss and talk about their own prospects without being bombarded by Oiler Fans? This is the Flames board, not the main board not the prospects board, the Flames Board!!! Yes, I do realise the OP brought by Schremp but this thread has long since derailed. The facts are we don’t need you to run down our prospects (Chucko, Backlund being over rated, or whomever) we do that enough without your involvement. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again for the most part Flames Fan are a self-deprecating bunch and for once the majority of us are excited about a prospect but god forbid we’re not ambushed for being to hopeful.

Old
08-27-2008, 02:18 PM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Well, if you are right Backlund is deluding himself. He talked about a lack of ice time with Vasteras, and he spoke of going back to Sweden to help the team make it into the elite league.

You really make Backlund sound like a terrible prospect. Perhaps I do paint too rosy a picture based on his WJC performance, but if he is as terrible a prospect as you make him sound, I wonder why they even invited him to play on that team.
I never said he was terrible. All I said was he is young, has a long way to go, and needs another year development.

His play this far indicates he is a slightly above average player on a 2nd division team. His expectations this year is that he will be a more developed leader on that same team (without their star player Berglund). He will not help them get to Elitserien, as that is not all that realistic (although i'm sure that remains a dream of the team, of course). He isn't going to say 'i'm going to help my team in Sweden finish middle of the table' is he?

All players start somewhere...for him its in Allsvenskan with Västerås. He is young, and has a few years before he reaches his peak, so its rather normal that he has played at the level he has up to now. However, if he doesn't raise his game this year for Västerås, that is when its time to be concerned.

What I personally am hoping for, is that he is this year what Berglund was last year for Västerås. If this is the case, we will have an excellent prospect who will be ready to play for the Flames next season. If he can raise his game, play a full ice game and pick up the team, lead them to Kvalserien again, he will have all the tools that will make him a very good NHL player.

Remember, in Berglunds first season of Allsvenskan, he scored 4 points in 21 games. Not too different from Backlund (infact Backlund would be ahead at that point in time). Two full seasons later, he dominates the ice and looks like an NHL ready player. That is essentially what Backlund needs, however, I think he could do it in one.

Development takes time...it is rather silly to rush it, as only in a handful of cases a player can live up to their potential in the NHL at such a young age. Its even rarer that that player is European, due to the different style of game. If we want to risk him being another average player who never lives up to the potential, then rush him. If we want to see his potential, wait a season or two, then be patient when he gets to North America. In 4 seasons time, I think 50-60 points in the NHL is a reasonable expectation for Backlund. Hardly a terrible prospect...he just isn't ready at this moment in time

Old
08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
JiriHrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
I am not going to comment on who I think is better, as I really dont know anything about Backlund.

You guys are allowed to be excited about a prospect, and I would be too with the lack of top end prospects coming through the system, .
See it's stuff like that - that just derails things further.

The fact is the Flames have drafted very late for a number of seasons - so we were unable to pick up a guy like Gagner in the top 10. Moreover, many of the prospects aren't sexy ones that get fans all a titter - but guys like Pelech, Negrin, Irving and others are important parts of the future of the team.

Just because the prospects aren't discussed a lot, or given out 8.0C ratings - doesn't mean the Flames lack quality prospects.

Old
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post

You guys are allowed to be excited about a prospect, and I would be too with the lack of top end prospects coming through the system,.
Couldn't help yourself could ya?

Old
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Don't worry, the Oilers will never have a Phaneuf or an Iginla, so that's their loss.

Old
08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Don't worry, the Oilers will never have a Phaneuf or an Iginla, so that's their loss.
Well, we didn't suck enough in 2003 to get a chance at Phaneuf unfortunately...

Old
08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Hyde

Quote:
See it's stuff like that - that just derails things further.

The fact is the Flames have drafted very late for a number of seasons - so we were unable to pick up a guy like Gagner in the top 10. Moreover, many of the prospects aren't sexy ones that get fans all a titter - but guys like Pelech, Negrin, Irving and others are important parts of the future of the team.

Just because the prospects aren't discussed a lot, or given out 8.0C ratings - doesn't mean the Flames lack quality prospects.
Thank you, Jiri that pretty much sums up this thread and it is the perfect way to end it.

Closed Thread