HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Checking tips?

Old
08-27-2008, 03:21 PM
flyers74

vCash: 500
Checking tips?

I am looking to get back into ice hockey, and after a few skates, I have noticed that my physical game is quite lacking. Whether that may be improper form, or whatever the problem is, I am flat out terrible at delivering hits. Any of you enforcers out there have any tips on hitting? Thanks alot.

flyers74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 08:10 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers74 View Post
I am looking to get back into ice hockey, and after a few skates, I have noticed that my physical game is quite lacking. Whether that may be improper form, or whatever the problem is, I am flat out terrible at delivering hits. Any of you enforcers out there have any tips on hitting? Thanks alot.
Pick your spots my friend. if your not to good at the balance part of the hit make sure the guy your gonna try and lay out will go down. ive seen many guys just try and run someone over but be so out of position and form on the hit they bounce off them like a ball. also make sure you keep your arms and elbow down. and also know when to finsih your checks. theres a thin line between dirty and legal checks.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

Try to explode through the guy and aim right in the middle of his chest in case he tries to avoid. A good thing to do before the hit is to aim three feet behind the player. This way you are still going when you hit him and continue to try to go right through him at impact, instead of letting up before and possibly getting dangled or falling. Also you have to be a great skater to be a good clean hitter. Can't hit what you can't catch.

Freddie Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:48 AM
frito

It sounds like you should first work on improving your skating than worrying about hitting. If you are weak on your skates or off balance, you will likely be the one going down when you deliver a check. That being said, there are a few things:
- Keep a low, well balanced stance at all times. This will make you strong on your skates by keeing your center of gravity low.
- Pace and time yourself by maintaing a good gap. Gradually close the gap and give the check.
- Pick your spot and determine if the check is the best answer. If you are the lone defender covering a 2 on 1, throwing a check is not the wisest move. If you miss it is now a 2 on none and your goalie will go ape on you. In this case you work out with your goalie if you are going to cover the pass or the shot. Either way, you need to be in position prevent a scoring chance.
- Don't go out of your way to deliver the "Bone crunching check". That is not the purpose.
- And on that note, remember the purpose for throwing a check - to separate the puck from the puck carrier. Nothing more, nothing less.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 10:17 AM
noobman

Speed an balance are important. I remember being a hulking tank back in the day, and still falling just as hard as my target when I threw hits.

Also, don't forget that the primary purpose behind hitting is to knock the player off of the puck and regain possession for your team. It doesn't matter if the guy goes flying 6 feet, or simply loses balance for a split second, as long as the result is the same.

I did have one memorable hit though... two guys in a 3 on 3 league were trying to do some fancy drop-pass play, so I pretty much hit the one guy, who flew backwards and took his buddy off oh his skates. I took a second to admire the awesomeness that was the hit, and then skated in as the late guy on the rush to score a sweet goal =)

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 05:55 PM
bluumax

bent knees, elbows in, explode outwards, aim ur shoulder for ther diagphram and move upwards, knocks the wind straight out of them. then look down and give them some backtalk.
oooh and aim for the biggest guy on the team, then theyre whole team is scared to death of you the rest of the game

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Are we talking open ice?

If you're along the boards, all you need is a little hip.
(If the other guy is dumb enough to try to sneak past you along the boards...)Bend at the knees a little, distribute your weight evenly, and just stick your hip out. You want to go hip on thigh. Don't go for his knees, he could get hurt and you could get a penalty.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Lead with your shoulders, not your elbows.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 09:40 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Open ice hits are tough and opportunistic at best. Aim in front of him and look to go through him. It's very risky, so make sure you can make the hit, because your more than likely taking yourself out of the play slightly to make the hit. Along the boards, cfelix covered it very well.

Remember, hits are there to take the opponent off the puck, not to hurt them.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 07:29 AM
WinCityHypeMachine

Remember you have to finish that check (cleanly) and then take the puck (which is the objective of the hit). May sound obvious, but a lot of kids forget either or both. Will either just go around hitting people with no objective or will hit someone but leave the puck for another Forward to pick up.

Also, don't use your elbows because refs will call elbowing frequently. The other player/team may come to nail you later in the game if you hit with your elbows as well.

WinCityHypeMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 10:10 AM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Open ice hits are tough and opportunistic at best. Aim in front of him and look to go through him. It's very risky, so make sure you can make the hit, because your more than likely taking yourself out of the play slightly to make the hit. Along the boards, cfelix covered it very well.

Remember, hits are there to take the opponent off the puck, not to hurt them.
The key to an open ice hit is anticipation if that is the type of hit. i assume you would play d so if you anticipate a breakout pass coming to your side make sure if you step up and time the hit just right i been on the side of not timing it right the play right and costing the team a goal but if you time it right it should add a little energy to everyone on your team and can lead to a nice penalty from the other team for trying to go after you.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote