HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What brand of skate do you wear and why?

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2004, 09:45 PM
tritone

vCash: 500
What brand of skate do you wear and why?

Just curious , I have always worn CCM Tacks . For the simple reason that they seem to fit my foot perfectly and they're completely broken in after 2 or 3 games.
I recently had to buy a new pair because after 12 years my Tacks finally died on me . I was surprised that after trying pretty much every pair of skates available I ended up with Tacks again. I wore them for 4 games already and I'm in love!
So.....what kind of skates do you wear and is there any specific reason aside from brand loyalty?
While I'm at it...Hockey sticks ? I've always bought the $10.99 sticks at Canadian Tire regardless of the brand . Probably because I play in a league with no slap shots.......Anybody have specific reasons for the stick they use? Or any interesting stories about their skates, sticks ?

Old
06-17-2004, 09:51 PM
freezie

i wear a 2 yr old pair of nike ignites...i wasnt sure when i bought em, but i love them .I had to get the sides punched out and i dont even have wide feet..but after 3 weeks they still hadnt broken in.Since they have been punched out , they have been super comfortable..light too...

Old
06-17-2004, 10:26 PM
Rahan

I've got the cheapest ones I could find. Bauer Chargers, 50-60$ at Canadian Tires. And I'm still a better skater than everyone at the local rink every winter.

Old
06-17-2004, 10:31 PM
EaGLE1

Always CCM Tacks. Why fix what isn't broken? Always been fast & comfortable wearing thoses.

I like using wood sticks or aluminium easton. As long as they have a wide curve

For helmets, anything that is north american is good. I hate JOFA or Euro brands since i don't want to look like Chad Kilger :lol

Last edited by EaGLE1: 06-17-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old
06-17-2004, 10:32 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
I've got the cheapest ones I could find. Bauer Chargers, 50-60$ at Canadian Tires. And I'm still a better skater than everyone at the local rink every winter.

LOL....I had a pair of Bauer Chargers just before I got my first pair of tacks....they had hard plastic from the heel to the ankle and I remember that I had to put little sponges on my ankles because I had bruises from the damn skates.

Old
06-17-2004, 10:33 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
Always CCM Tacks. Why fix what isn't broken? Always been fast & comfortable wearing thoses.
Well said...Glad to see I'm not the only Tacks fan

Old
06-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
I usually buy CCM Tacks because they are wide enough for my feet, or else I'll go with anything that fits at the local sports store.

And my favorite stick is the CCM Vector 40 with the Joe Thornton curve. Good all around stick and it isnt overly expensive. Works well for both street and ice.

Old
06-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1

I like using wood sticks or aluminium easton. As long as they have a wide curve

For helmets, anything that is north american is good. I hate JOFA or Euro brands since i don't want to look like Chad Kilger :lol

CCM TACKS RULE!!!!

Old
06-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Skates: Bauer Vapor SFL V

Positives:
- Light skates
- B-e-a-utiful skates

Negatives:
- A while to break in
- Damn skates don't stay tight on my feet

Stick: Easton Ultra Carbon shaft with a sakic graphite blade(I recomend it, my shot got alot better)

P.S. Anyone know if it is worth investing in a shaft that's about 100 bucks like the rubber grip easton? Or should I stick to my 30 dollar eastons?

Old
06-18-2004, 12:47 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I use the sherwood skates. They has a great deal on them.

For the curve, a heel curves ala Naslund, Lidstrom or Kaberle gives me a wicked wrister. For some reason, I can't rifle a slap shot on ice, but take a straight ice puck and I can slap it fast on roller hockey surfaces.

Old
06-18-2004, 06:48 AM
eddy

I've worn tacks all my life just because i got used to them so i never switched, but now i've gotten to the point where my feet have stopped growing so i'm thinking of buying a really good pair for my last skates, like vapour 20's or a good pair of grafs cause all the people i've played with really seem to like those ones.

Old
06-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Joe Cole

I was always a Bauer supreme guy, but the last 2 pairs I had, the Tuuk chasis that holds the blade cracked then broke right off. I went down to Rousseau and said, "I love the bauer's but I need another blade chasis."

He recommended Tack 952's with Tech-lites. So I bought them. My preference is traditional looking skates. I really do not like skates that have too much white (they look like ladies skates :lol ), they just scream "look at me, the vedette!"

The 952's are unfortunately a bit flashy. They hurt like crazy the first 5 games. I had them molded to my feet, and now, if I wear two pairs of socks they are ok.

Next time, Bauer Supremes or maybe Mission Hi-Flys.

For sticks, I have a trusted Eaton aluminum shaft (x-stiff) and an Easton Carbon blade, Lidstrom pattern. Back up is a Bauer shaft with a Kaberlae blade.

I need a stick that is solid. I get a lot of one timers in a game and need something that doesn't flop around.

Old
06-18-2004, 08:37 AM
JohnnyB11

Skates - CCM Tacks here too.

Stick - I always also bought the 2 for $20 at Canadian Tire but I worked at ice level when the Baby Flames were here and was able to get a couple of freebies - a Synergy stick (Chris Drury reject) and a Franklin (Doug Doull extra). I used the Synergy for 1-1/2 seasons of once a week low-impact hockey and busted it. My skill level is way too low to appreciate the high end sticks so you can bet when the Franklin breaks I still have my Canadian Tire specials to fall back on, and now that the Flames have left I can't see any more high-enders coming my way!

Old
06-18-2004, 08:46 PM
tritone

I'm surprised at the amount of graphite and easton aluminum responses.
Honestly , I got one for christmas a few years ago and the blades break constantly...I tried a few different brans of blade and they all broke too easily.....so I just have my Easton sitting in the closet now and I stick with my Canadian Tire specs

Old
06-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Brisson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
I'm surprised at the amount of graphite and easton aluminum responses.
Honestly , I got one for christmas a few years ago and the blades break constantly...I tried a few different brans of blade and they all broke too easily.....so I just have my Easton sitting in the closet now and I stick with my Canadian Tire specs
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...ml?pcode=EULSB

By reading what it says beside the blade, apparently it is made with kevlar ... I would very much like to see you try and break this blade in a season(without skate blades stomping on them of course )

I bought it at $50 and I'm never going to buy a diff. blade unless I have lots of money to play with

Old
06-18-2004, 09:05 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...ml?pcode=EULSB

By reading what it says beside the blade, apparently it is made with kevlar ... I would very much like to see you try and break this blade in a season(without skate blades stomping on them of course )

I bought it at $50 and I'm never going to buy a diff. blade unless I have lots of money to play with
Well , I guess the 20$ / blade that I was forking out was not enough to get me a KEVLAR. LOL . In any case....I'm using the Canadien Ultra-Lite , paid 9.99 for it and it's lasted 3 years so far. Furthermore, it's made out of WOOD??!!?! Go figure eh? heh. wood rules .

Old
06-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Brisson11

Quote:
Well , I guess the 20$ / blade that I was forking out was not enough to get me a KEVLAR. LOL . In any case....I'm using the Canadien Ultra-Lite , paid 9.99 for it and it's lasted 3 years so far. Furthermore, it's made out of WOOD??!!?! Go figure eh? heh. wood rules .
You know you would love to have kevlar! And don't start with the wood talk, I've heard enough from Maguire and CBC guys on this :mad:

Famous CBC annoucer cliche when someone breaks an aluminum stick: "That's gonna cost someone the series some day!"

Famous Maguire saying when someone breaks an aluminum stick: "Another broken stick, we have got to get rid of these sticks and bring back wooden ones"

lol good times *sniff* I need hockey right now

Old
06-18-2004, 09:27 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
You know you would love to have kevlar! And don't start with the wood talk, I've heard enough from Maguire and CBC guys on this :mad:

Famous CBC annoucer cliche when someone breaks an aluminum stick: "That's gonna cost someone the series some day!"

Famous Maguire saying when someone breaks an aluminum stick: "Another broken stick, we have got to get rid of these sticks and bring back wooden ones"

lol good times *sniff* I need hockey right now
~HANDS YOU A KEVLAR TISSUE~ Here ya go buddy LOL

Old
06-19-2004, 12:18 PM
jacklours

Nothing's better then Graf's skates. They are just simply the best skates I find. SOooooooo much more confortable then anything else on the market. Quality is amazing also. I play with the 705 and they are just amazing.

For sticks, I'm sold on Sher-wood, I just love Sher-woods. I don't know why, but any other type of stick just doesn't feel right in my hand. I like a really light curve. I have hard time finding curves that aren't too curve. Recently I found the exact curve I had been looking for for years, it's an Elias, simply perfect. My slapper from the blue line are only 6inches high, and my passe and right nice where I need them to be and i'm not fightinf the puck cause it's always rolling on my blade. S-W 9950 are the ****.

Old
06-19-2004, 01:25 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
Nothing's better then Graf's skates. They are just simply the best skates I find. SOooooooo much more confortable then anything else on the market. Quality is amazing also. I play with the 705 and they are just amazing.

For sticks, I'm sold on Sher-wood, I just love Sher-woods. I don't know why, but any other type of stick just doesn't feel right in my hand. I like a really light curve. I have hard time finding curves that aren't too curve. Recently I found the exact curve I had been looking for for years, it's an Elias, simply perfect. My slapper from the blue line are only 6inches high, and my passe and right nice where I need them to be and i'm not fightinf the puck cause it's always rolling on my blade. S-W 9950 are the ****.
I've never heard of Graf skates where are they from? How much $$ ? Any special features?
As for Sher-Wood sticks , I've always loved the curves on them too but I just never buy them because they're too expensive and if I look long enough I can usually find a Canadien with a pretty decent curve

Old
06-19-2004, 03:36 PM
jacklours

Quote:
I've never heard of Graf skates where are they from? How much $$ ? Any special features?
As for Sher-Wood sticks , I've always loved the curves on them too but I just never buy them because they're too expensive and if I look long enough I can usually find a Canadien with a pretty decent curve
You've got to have seen graf skates before. Their logo is a G in a bright neon yellow. A lot of people find their skates ugly looking because they are old fashion looking. They don't have much color on them, they're all black most of the time, they have the good old big tongue with a huge white band around it. Usually people who have Graf also have yellow laces on them. Go see www.grafcanada.com . It shows their Canadian products.

As for Sher-wood sticks, I have inside connection for sticks so that's one of the reason why I always bought them, but I still would have anyways. For example I have 4 Eclipse at home now, for 130$ each. And I have 20 Momentum new generation for 90$ each. Also I have 8 dozens of 9950 and 7730 for 20$ each.

Old
06-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Lewis63

Wow, I haven't realized I haven't posted in a while...

I'm a heavy skater (I don't fly over the ice, I grind it) and the owner of the shop I used to go suggested Bauer over CCM Tacks because of this. Best skates ever got by far.

On the other hand, the worst skates I got were Daoust 301. They used to hurt my ankles like heck! but I kept playing and endured them for 2 seasons. Thank god my feet grew cause I would have never gotten my precious Bauers.

The model was Bauer 30-30 wich , at the time, where very good skates. The year?Roughly year 1996, haven't played a lot since 1998: my last hockey season...

And sticks, early to mid 90's the craze was all about Easton Aluminium sticks and I had two I used to get Leetch blades cause it helped me lift the puck with my slapper (12-13 years old) but then that curve sucke with the back hand. When I got bigger and stronger the Leetch blade was really not it for me, a plain no name Victoriaville blade did the trick. And do you beleive I broke two Aluminum shafts in the span of 4 games? The guy at canadian tire couldn't beleive when I took it back, twice!!! The refs where also stunned. Broke them both at the middle of the shaft! hehehe good old memories!

Old
06-19-2004, 06:15 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
You've got to have seen graf skates before. Their logo is a G in a bright neon yellow. A lot of people find their skates ugly looking because they are old fashion looking. They don't have much color on them, they're all black most of the time, they have the good old big tongue with a huge white band around it. Usually people who have Graf also have yellow laces on them. Go see www.grafcanada.com . It shows their Canadian products.

As for Sher-wood sticks, I have inside connection for sticks so that's one of the reason why I always bought them, but I still would have anyways. For example I have 4 Eclipse at home now, for 130$ each. And I have 20 Momentum new generation for 90$ each. Also I have 8 dozens of 9950 and 7730 for 20$ each.
Hmmmm, interesting , I went to the site , and I still don't recall ever seeing those skates, then again I don't usually make a habit of looking at people's feet when I'm playing....I'll probably see someone wearing them tonight at my hockey game though

Closed Thread