HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Zherdev gone after the season?

Old
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
pzilla3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
yea but jagr was still working hard on the ice, he did not seem lazy. how come hollweg got ice time after boneless offensive zone penalties, why not use greg moore, byers or someone from hartford instead??? it has to go both ways, just because u dont score dont mean u dont work hard. if jagr was scoring but not backchecking or playing defense, his ice time should have gotten cut.
Honestly Jagr was invisible for chunks of last season. But I agree, holly shouldn't have gotten as much time as he did. That experiment to use the HBO line as a shutdown line went on for far too long. I would have liked to have seen one of them get the time instead.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:14 PM
NYR Viper

the rangers have shown they will pay for high quality players....if zherdev deserves it, he will get paid, end of story.........

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzilla3 View Post
So by that theory, why did jagr get his ice time? His production was down last season. Gomez wasn't the issue between the two of them was the point that I was making.
Yeah, if you produce you play.

Jagr had terrible PP slumps and on more than one occasion went goalless in 10 straight games and even pointless in similar stretches.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
good joke.

for a European player, especially one who doesn't llove to play defense, and loves to be offensively creative Renney is probably the worst coach to have. Especially on a new team b/c Renney switches lines every 5 seconds.

see Jagr, Jaromir circa 07-08.
Renney is probably the most patient coach in the league. And he encourages CREATIVITY while being responsible.

The whole locker room is built upon respect between Renney and player.

In Columbus, Zherdev for 90% of his tenure there, was under a regime —that was a defensive system— that had NO patience. When they DID show patience, he began to come out of his shell, in many ways.

He began to play in BOTH ENDS of the ice, and become a better teammate, as has been stated MANY times in many articles that have been posted here before.

The whole new mantra for the Rangers is to have players with more creativity. They want the offense and Power Play especially to be less predictable.

Watch every interview between the end of last season and now. And look how the team is constructed.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 08-27-2008 at 03:16 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:13 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
It's funny how the Blue Jackets headaches are now the Rangers headaches. I think Zherdev is a prime candidate to bolt for the KHL after this season. It's something that I think Howson was afraid of and with his previous hold-out in Russia over his last contract there is good reason to worry. I think he's going to want around $5 million a season.

However, New York is one of the those cities that could sway Z to stay and I would never count the Rangers checkbook either. Should be interesting. What kind of money is he going to want if he out-scores Drury or Gomez or both? Zherdev is and has always been a real roller-coaster ride.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Hell, I'm still worried Avery might leave!

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
It's funny how the Blue Jackets headaches are now the Rangers headaches. I think Zherdev is a prime candidate to bolt for the KHL after this season. It's something that I think Howson was afraid of and with his previous hold-out in Russia over his last contract there is good reason to worry. I think he's going to want around $5 million a season.

However, New York is one of the those cities that could sway Z to stay and I would never count the Rangers checkbook either. Should be interesting. What kind of money is he going to want if he out-scores Drury or Gomez or both? Zherdev is and has always been a real roller-coaster ride.
There is a Salary Cap.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:17 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
There is a Salary Cap.
Really?

Thanks for the update chief. I'm talking about the Rangers ability to give players the money the want. See Gomez and Drury.

Obviously, they would have to make cap space for Zherdev (duh).

Old
08-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Really?

Thanks for the update chief. I'm talking about the Rangers ability to give players the money the want. See Gomez and Drury.

Obviously, they would have to make cap space for Zherdev (duh).
Now See Jagr, and Avery. we didnt give them what they wanted.

Old
08-27-2008, 03:32 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Renney is probably the most patient coach in the league. And he encourages CREATIVITY while being responsible.

The whole locker room is built upon respect between Renney and player.

In Columbus, Zherdev for 90% of his tenure there, was under a regime —that was a defensive system— that had NO patience. When they DID show patience, he began to come out of his shell, in many ways.

He began to play in BOTH ENDS of the ice, and become a better teammate, as has been stated MANY times in many articles that have been posted here before.

The whole new mantra for the Rangers is to have players with more creativity. They want the offense and Power Play especially to be less predictable.

Watch every interview between the end of last season and now. And look how the team is constructed.

Renney is not the most patient coach in the league. how can you say that when he changes the lines on every shift. Even when they appear to work. Every game was different line combos. That isn't patience. And look how he used Shanny for everything, when it was in clutch time or when it was important, instead of a youngster who was playing good. Renney is a defensive mastermind, but is horrible at making offenses and PP's. He was always known as a defensive coach, and probably will be.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Renney is not the most patient coach in the league. how can you say that when he changes the lines on every shift. Even when they appear to work. Every game was different line combos. That isn't patience. And look how he used Shanny for everything, when it was in clutch time or when it was important, instead of a youngster who was playing good. Renney is a defensive mastermind, but is horrible at making offenses and PP's. He was always known as a defensive coach, and probably will be.
You are confusing experimentation with line combinations with impatience.

And you are targeting his ONLY weakness as a coach, which is at times he has bad line combinations. And that also has nothing to do with the conversation.

Renney is patient with his players. He doesn't throw his players under the bus. He sticks up for them and defends them. He is patient with young players. If he ever says anything negative, he uses a "we" connotation.

NO other locker room does the coach individually shake each players hand.

Players have been on the record as saying Renney was one of the MAIN reasons they signed with the Rangers (Gomez, Drury, Redden, Naslund, Mara, Valiquette).

When there is a problem in the locker room, Renney handles it behind closed doors.

Old
08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Celestial Black

Like I said...if we can't get him to sign then the trade was a bust for us. I hope he does sign though.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
You are confusing experimentation with line combinations with impatience.

And you are targeting his ONLY weakness as a coach, which is at times he has bad line combinations. And that also has nothing to do with the conversation.

Renney is patient with his players. He doesn't throw his players under the bus. He sticks up for them and defends them. He is patient with young players. If he ever says anything negative, he uses a "we" connotation.

NO other locker room does the coach individually shake each players hand.

Players have been on the record as saying Renney was one of the MAIN reasons they signed with the Rangers (Gomez, Drury, Redden, Naslund, Mara, Valiquette).

When there is a problem in the locker room, Renney handles it behind closed doors.

Tell Prucha that Renney has patience b/c he has had absolutely none w/ him. While Renney does have some he definately plays favorites, but he isn't the best coach in the world. Especially for offensive minded players. I would not be surprised at all if Zherdev doesn't like him, although I wouldn't be surprised if he did as well b/c Renney is a players coach. But he is a much better coach for players who are good defensively than more offensive minded players which he stifles b/c of his insistence on defense first.

also those first three players i'm sure the reason they signed here was the $, years, and clauses over the coach.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:53 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Quote:
Now See Jagr, and Avery. we didnt give them what they wanted.
Wade Redden much? What the hell does this have to do with Nik Zherdev anyway?

Old
08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Tell Prucha that Renney has patience b/c he has had absolutely none w/ him. While Renney does have some he definately plays favorites, but he isn't the best coach in the world. Especially for offensive minded players. I would not be surprised at all if Zherdev doesn't like him, although I wouldn't be surprised if he did as well b/c Renney is a players coach. But he is a much better coach for players who are good defensively than more offensive minded players which he stifles b/c of his insistence on defense first.

also those first three players i'm sure the reason they signed here was the $, years, and clauses over the coach.
Prucha could help his cause by getting stronger on his skates.

But i will agree that he has not been used properly since his rookie season.

Old
08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Are you afraid that Zherdev could be gone after the season. I mean, in the KHL?

Did you hear anything from him or his agent telling that he wants to stay or leave?

I mean, Rangers has robbed Columbus in this deal. Do you think Columbus traded Zherdev because they know he'll leave in Russia?
I don't think he'll leave the NHL at all. He was snuck out of Russia and he fought a long court battle. I don't think Zherdev has any interest in going back to Russia. I think he's going to be quite comfortable in New York and is going to enjoy the Russian community there.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:19 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think he'll leave the NHL at all. He was snuck out of Russia and he fought a long court battle. I don't think Zherdev has any interest in going back to Russia. I think he's going to be quite comfortable in New York and is going to enjoy the Russian community there.
I don't know anything about Zherdev's departure from Russia. Do you have any specifics or links that you could pass along?

EDIT: All I can find on his Wikipedia page is that he left half way through a season for the NHL but later returned during the lockout and made peace with his team.

Last edited by D713B: 08-27-2008 at 04:24 PM.
D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
pzilla3

Quote:

Honestly, Prucha is a bad example. He got injured and the guys who filled in while he was out did a played well.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Wade Redden much? What the hell does this have to do with Nik Zherdev anyway?
Wade Redden was a need for the Rangers, They had one of the worst PP in the NHL last year and it may have cost them some games in the playoffs.

You said that the rangers pay what the players wanted. Avery wanted 3.5-4 mil, did they give it to him. obviously no, and Jagr wanted 8 mil a year so the rangers moved on. Again when they give out big contracts it was for needs. when we signed Drury/Gomez Matt Cullen was our best centre at the time...

Old
08-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Are you afraid that Zherdev could be gone after the season. I mean, in the KHL?

Did you hear anything from him or his agent telling that he wants to stay or leave?

I mean, Rangers has robbed Columbus in this deal. Do you think Columbus traded Zherdev because they know he'll leave in Russia?
He is gone because of Sathers PISS POOR cap managment and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the rangers have shown they will pay for high quality players....if zherdev deserves it, he will get paid, end of story.........
Ill bite on this one to... with what cap space will he be paid with, BEGINNING OF STORY, hardly the end.

08-27-2008, 04:57 PM
gmanwrx

Zherdev isn't afraid to shoot the puck, and by the way the team is looking, the rangers transition game is going to be faster then previous season. no more yelling shoot the puck or setting up for the perfect shot...

zherdev well all know is extremely crafty- he produces, he will be signed next season.

this season is going to be exciting....

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Wade Redden was a need for the Rangers, They had one of the worst PP in the NHL last year and it may have cost them some games in the playoffs.

You said that the rangers pay what the players wanted. Avery wanted 3.5-4 mil, did they give it to him. obviously no, and Jagr wanted 8 mil a year so the rangers moved on. Again when they give out big contracts it was for needs. when we signed Drury/Gomez Matt Cullen was our best centre at the time...
Not to piss in your cherios or anything but where did you see that Jagr wanted 8 million? I dont ever remember hearing or seeing that reported A N Y WHERE

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 05:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
He is gone because of Sathers PISS POOR cap managment and nothing else.

Ill bite on this one to... with what cap space will he be paid with, BEGINNING OF STORY, hardly the end.
mara, kalinin, betts, shanny's bonuses(1.5 million) plus the fact that some of the RFA's will be replaced by cheaper, younger players means they will have room to sign whoewver they feel they need to

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
gocbj

Zherdev will go to Russia. Radulov is his best friend.

On the ice, he has the skill to be a 50 goal and 90 point guy. Watch ovechkin play a cocky and quick game, and Z tries to be smooth and slick, but it ends up being a slow game. If Z had the self confidence to skate at more than about 80% speed, he would dominate. He is just quiet and shy. If someone would tell him to do everything as fast as possible, he would surprise himself. Watch him on the bench - - he is never dead dog tired because he cruises around and lets natural ability carry him. I think he is a guy that will be another 5 years before he reaches his peak because he is so immature. If you offered him a 5M bonus if he scored 60 goals, he has the skill to do it, and not many players do.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
mara, kalinin, betts, shanny's bonuses(1.5 million) plus the fact that some of the RFA's will be replaced by cheaper, younger players means they will have room to sign whoewver they feel they need to
Also you forget that Dubinsky and Staal will also be due for some hefty raises, not to mention Korpedo AA and Chere will more likely then not be on the club next season with korpedo having a 1 mil contract along with Chere.

Betts will be re-signed still.

Between Mara, kalinin and Shannys bonuses theres a whoppppping total of what 5.5?

So figure Zherdev if he has a good season goes from 2.5 - 5 mil becuase if he has any sort of 70+ point 30+ goal season as were all expecting you know he will get that sort of money.

Dubinsky will prob. get about 2-3 million and Staal about 3ish.

So between Staal Dubi and Zherdev, there current salaries add up to about 5 million. After this year its about 11. So there goes that 5.5 cap room, + an additional 500k.

So theres all your cap room. You figure Dawes is due for a raise if he has any sort of decent year, at least 1.3ish thats a 700k increase.

With that money from Mara and kalinin going to STaal dubi and Zherdev, what the hell are you gonna do, have 4 defenseman?

Say we go with two rookies, Sanguenetti and Sauer. Thats 1.7 million, + Dawes increase thats 2.4 million + Korpedo' Chere, and AA's salaries of around 2.4 ish + the 1.7 means your already 4.1 over the cap.

Sather has CAP ****ed us. The end.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote