HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Teaching English Overseas

Old
08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Teaching English Overseas

So lately I've been thinking about heading overseas to teach conversational english. I've seen high demand in mainly Asian countries, such as Japan and South Korea, as well as Singapore.

Were I to apply and actually get the job, I'm assuming it would be on a 6 month to 1 year contract, and if I'm lucky enough, travel and accommodations covered.

Does anyone have any experience in this field, any past employment they'd wish to share?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:31 PM
SlowShot

vCash: 500
My friend and his girlfriend did it and said it was a awsome job. Good money, easy work, and a chance to see the world.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

I have only heard good things about it. I know a few people who took breaks during and before University/College to do it. They loved it.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
dogbazinho

With those options, I wouldn't go to Singapore. Thats the only advice I'd give you.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:40 PM
IslesFTW

Do you know how to speak Japanese/Chinese/etc.? If not, I suggest not doing it

IslesFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:44 PM
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes

vCash: 50
I know there are a ew different companies who provide this - and I'm not sure this one was about - but one of the people I know who did this said it was great, but the only bad thing was is that the accomodations are small. I've also heard that it's 12 months of a contract to start and then you can add in half year/6 months increments.

Good Luck.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by defensewins631 View Post
Do you know how to speak Japanese/Chinese/etc.? If not, I suggest not doing it
Actually I'm fluent in both Japanese and Mandarin.

Well.....no, not really. Don't speak/understand a word of it, so there'd obviously be a language barrier going both ways, but that's to be expected, and isn't a pre-requisite for the job.

Obviously I would learn as I went along, hopefully as fast as my students would! lol

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
dogbazinho

In terms of difficulty i'd rank them from easist to ridiculously hard

Korean
Japanese
Chinese (various dialects)

All would be good to know.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

I'd go to Japan if I were you, stunningly hot women and a nice language once you get the grips of it, it is much easier to learn to speak and understand it than reading and writing, so focus on the spoken part.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Masao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
I'd go to Japan if I were you, stunningly hot women and a nice language once you get the grips of it, it is much easier to learn to speak and understand it than reading and writing, so focus on the spoken part.
The economy is bad nowadays. It's almost impossible to get tenure in Japan now, and bosses tend to be picky and unfair and ultra bossy.

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM

Just curious, do they teach American spelling and pronouncation or British?

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Sensfanman

Funny coincidence (sorta) but one of my superiors at work just left for China to teach English. I am not sure what program, but he did get full flight and accommodation coverage. Hopefully you can be as fortunate.

Good luck!

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 07:49 PM
HopefulCoach

My Cousin did this eight years ago. He hasnt come back yet.

He loved the country (South Korea) so much that when his teaching contract was up he bought a bar and now runs it.

HopefulCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 07:53 PM
JoeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
So lately I've been thinking about heading overseas to teach conversational english. I've seen high demand in mainly Asian countries, such as Japan and South Korea, as well as Singapore.

Were I to apply and actually get the job, I'm assuming it would be on a 6 month to 1 year contract, and if I'm lucky enough, travel and accommodations covered.

Does anyone have any experience in this field, any past employment they'd wish to share?
I did it while in Thailand. All you need to do is check craigslist. Find a recruiter. They will hook you up with a school and if it doesn't work out no problem because they'll just send you to a new school the next day.

The school pays the recruiter and then the recruiter pays you, minus whatever they take off the top.

I got $1,000 US to start. WHich is about 35,000 BHT. I ate at the most places a full meal for 20bht-100bht. That kind of money can go along way there.

Bangkok is also fun, at their new yrs the whole city tirns into a week long water fight. It's the best, I'm going back there in Oct.

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
fancy dan*

my wife and i taught english in taiwan for over a year. we had a fantastic experience and would go back and do it again in a second if not for... well.... life.

pm me for details. i'm pretty sure i can answer most any question about most any asian country.

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Nazzy-19

I did it in China. Loved it and would recommend it, as long as you can answer yes to one of the following questions:

Will you enjoy living in the country you're going to? (i.e. culture etc.)

Will you enjoy teaching?

If you can't answer yes to at least one of these questions, don't go. The money is not worth spending a year in a place you don't want to be doing something you don't enjoy doing.

Seriously, I met people like this in China, and that is the last place you want to be if you don't like teaching or the country, because the money in China (while good in country) is peanuts compared to places like South Korea.

Nazzy-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:36 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHockey View Post
I did it while in Thailand. All you need to do is check craigslist. Find a recruiter. They will hook you up with a school and if it doesn't work out no problem because they'll just send you to a new school the next day.

The school pays the recruiter and then the recruiter pays you, minus whatever they take off the top.

I got $1,000 US to start. WHich is about 35,000 BHT. I ate at the most places a full meal for 20bht-100bht. That kind of money can go along way there.

Bangkok is also fun, at their new yrs the whole city tirns into a week long water fight. It's the best, I'm going back there in Oct.
The Canadian government will also give you a few grand and set you up with a job as well, part of the whole "work abroad" thing they've been pushing. http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/living/..._abroad-en.asp

Japan is a bit different, if I recall. They don't work through any sort of Canadian embassy like they do with all the other available destinations, they basically just patch you through to a local place and they help find you a job instead.. or so it was when I was researching it maybe a year ago.

I'm hoping to do the same after my second year, depending on whether or not I can fit any language classes into my course load. The only thing I've heard that would bother me is that out east there are no smoking bans, so the faculty room is generally a cancer box.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:49 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I'm probably your guy. Entered my 5th year on the JET programme in Japan. Absolutely love it. Forget about getting placed in somewhere like Osaka or Tokyo. You wouldn't want to be anyway. They are all easy enough to travel to on a whim anyway. You'll most likely be placed a little more rurally, but it usually doesn't matter here. You can choose 3 "preferences" on the application for where you wanna go. My advice: choose Hyogo-ken if you wanna party regularly in Kobe, Osaka, etc, but want places like Tokyo, Fukuoka, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki to be easily accessible (regular trains, express trains, bullet trains and airports galore here).

JET is probably the best bet for easy work, LOTS of holiday (and complete control over when you wanna use it... I take 3 weeks every winter to travel SE Asia, many days in the summer to golf, and no one says boo), good working conditions (public school instead of a conversation school... honestly that makes a HUGE difference), an actual house instead of a shoe-box to live in, and a place where you can actually get to know the people and the culture.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me. There are only 2 prefectures (out of 47) that I haven't visited over the 4+ years, so I may be more knowledgable than your average Joe poster around here.

edit: Oh, AND they pay for your flight to Japan, and back to your home at the end of your programme (minimum 1 year, which flies by if you get a decent place/school).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 09:53 AM
ForsbergMoDo21

How competitive are the positions? What sort of qualifications will increase your odds of being selected? Can anyone provide links to services they've gone through?

My dad just got back from visiting Japan and suggested it to me, but he didn't have any specific info and all the websites just seem like scams. I hadn't realized so many people had done this (and apparently it worked out for everyone here)

ForsbergMoDo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergMoDo21 View Post
How competitive are the positions? What sort of qualifications will increase your odds of being selected? Can anyone provide links to services they've gone through?

My dad just got back from visiting Japan and suggested it to me, but he didn't have any specific info and all the websites just seem like scams. I hadn't realized so many people had done this (and apparently it worked out for everyone here)
Eikaiwas (conversation schools) like Geos, etc. largely suck and you have pressures like quotas as far as recruiting and class size go. Honestly, the JET programme is your best introduction to Japan. I know (and have met) dozens of people on either side of the fence. The eikaiwa people are all jealous of us (JETs).

You can, however, potentially make more money working at one of those eikaiwas and teaching private lessons if you work hard and are keen. I'd rather have my 35-40K per year, no stress or responsibilities, be able to save money, have plenty of opportunity to travel the country, learn the language and culture, AND spend all winter travelling southeast Asia...

edit: qualifications? Speak at least close to native English and have a university degree in ANYTHING (mine is in Chemistry and Astrophysics.... obviously i like travelling more than the lab!)

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Aaaaaron

hmmmm this quite an interesting topic. i've always heard of people doing this type of thing, but never looked into going to have to know.

Aaaaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Teemu

One of my friends did this in Taiwan. He even brought a girl back with him

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 01:31 AM
tylerbear*

If you were interested in teaching in Eastern Europe, I can help you out.

I don't know too much about Japan.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote