HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

It's the end of August and there are eight teams outside the cap

Old
08-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Rumor out of the Ducks media is that most of the teams interested in Schneider are waiting on Sundin first.

So if you're that desperate you should picket on Sundin's lawn.
i think this is wishful thinking by the local media. I can only see 2 teas interested in Schneider - NYI and Columbus. Neither is in the Sundin sweepstakes.

IMO, the Schneider deal is going to look like - Schnieder + a 2nd round pick for future considerations. Burke is going to have to pay to move him.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 01:05 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I was using the Calder as an (incorrect) example. I think my point remains valid, though, as many of the club-paid "B" bonuses for which excess is permitted would not become impossible until after the conclusion of the season..
True - virtually all of the allowable individually negotiated "B" Bonuses cannot become impossible to achieve until the completion of the regular season ("League Performance Bonuses" - top 5 / top10 in stats) or the post season ("League-wide Arwards/Trophies - trophies or All Star selections). The only "B" Bonuses that can become unachievable during the season are those top 5 / top 10 stats which have games played minimums - pts/gm for forwards (min 42 games), pts/gm and avg ice time for dmen (min 42 games), and GAA and sv-% for goalies (min 25 games) - and top 5 in wins for goalies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I would say that probably about $500,000 of the $2 million in potential bonuses are easily obtainable by a top rated prospect. So a "wise" GM would probably factor this in and even if the players "official" cap hit is $3 million the GM should treat it as a $1.5 million cap hit. Whether or not Lombardi will do it this way remains to be seen.
Nope. Patrick Kane did not achieve ANY of his "B" bonuses last season (*).

The only allowable "B" bonuses are:

- Top 5 for Hart, Norris, Vezina, Selke, or Richard trophy
- Win the Jennings trophy
- Be named 1st or 2nd Team All-Star
- Win the Conn Smyth
- For Forwards: Top 10 in goals, assists, points, or points/gm among forwards
- For D-men: Top 10 in goals, assists, points, points/gm, or aggregate or average ice time among defensemen
- For Goalies: Top 5 in Wins, GAA, or SV %-age.

(*) I can only find the 3 finalists for the trophies - but it is very unlikely that Kane finished 4th or 5th for the Hart or Selke

In fact, upon quick glance, it looks like the only ELS players who could have achieved any "B" bonuses last season are: Ovechkin, Malkin, Phaneuf, Crosby (pts/gm), Mike Green (dman goals), Ryan Getzlaf (assists), Nicklas Backstrom (assists), Dan Ellis (save %-age), and MA Fleury (save %-age).

Last edited by kdb209: 08-28-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added Crosby (pts/gm)
kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
i think this is wishful thinking by the local media. I can only see 2 teas interested in Schneider - NYI and Columbus. Neither is in the Sundin sweepstakes.

IMO, the Schneider deal is going to look like - Schnieder + a 2nd round pick for future considerations. Burke is going to have to pay to move him.

The Isles have 8 NHL dmen under contract, just gave a fat contract to a poor man's Schneider (Streit) and are at their internal payroll limit.

I see zero reason to believe they'd want Schenider.

08-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Honestly, I can't begin to speculate on this side of things without knowing more - and the NHL is treating the release of this information as if it's akin to releasing the innermost secrets on the country's nuclear program ... which makes speculation incredibly difficult.

Appreciate your honesty and balance, as always IB.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote