HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick shafts

Old
08-26-2008, 07:20 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Stick shafts

I recently bought a bunch of blades (wood), they don't make the style I like anymore so when I found some on a shelf at sportcheck I cleared them out, but now I need to buy a shaft. I took a quick look at my skate shop today while getting my skates sharpened, they had a few models ranging from $100-150, but couldn't tell much difference between them. Is there anything in particular I should look for or is one model as good as the next, assuming they're equally priced? Also, the shaft is far more durable than our usual one-piece wood or composite right?

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Most of it will be personal preferance. Flex, grip/no grip, shaft shape, weight. Composite shafts are produced the same way as most one piece composite sticks as I understand it (most "one pieces" are tapered shaft+blade cosmetically changed to look like a one piece). So the shaft itself shouldn't be any more/less durable.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Heat McManus

whatever you do, make sure you get a shaft that is compatible with the blades you got. If they're thin hosel you will need a tapered shaft, if not then a regular shaft will do.

Personally I use a Easton Z-Bubble, which is now the S15

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What's your height and weight? Are you particularly strong or weak? Are you using wood sticks right now? Do you have to cut them down at all? Are the blades standard or tapered hosels?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What's your height and weight? Are you particularly strong or weak? Are you using wood sticks right now? Do you have to cut them down at all? Are the blades standard or tapered hosels?
Well, I'm 6' 190lbs. For my size I more though I'm more about lower body strength, I have a fairly quick release but not much strength in my arms. Currently I switch between a wood and cheap composite KOHO stick, as for size I like it an inch above the standard 'chin height' length, so as shafts are generally quite short I'll be putting in a good extension. The blades are standard fibre hosels, KOHO like my sticks. Except I have 6 of these, I really like their Jagr curves . While I'm a beginner I've tried out a good number of curves but thats the only one that's ever felt 'just right'.

And I was also wondering, is flex strength measured in KPS? Because my current composite is rated as 45KPS, I didn't think they went that low. My wristers good with it but my slap or snap shots with it are pathetic.

Old
08-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
And I was also wondering, is flex strength measured in KPS? Because my current composite is rated as 45KPS, I didn't think they went that low. My wristers good with it but my slap or snap shots with it are pathetic.
That's the CCM/RBK way of denoting flex. 45 KP corresponds to 100 flex in Easton/Bauer/Mission etc. The "S" is for standard, as they'll have 40 KP R (regular, ~85 flex), 35 KP M (medium, ~75 flex), 30 KP L (light, ~65 flex).

Last edited by Brodeur: 08-27-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old
08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well you're decent height, I'd check out an 85 flex shaft. Bring one of the blades with when you're looking at the shafts so you can make sure you're getting the right one (standard for thick hosel blades, tapered for thin).

Old
08-27-2008, 05:25 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Well you're decent height, I'd check out an 85 flex shaft. Bring one of the blades with when you're looking at the shafts so you can make sure you're getting the right one (standard for thick hosel blades, tapered for thin).
That's what I was thinking, but if I'm going to add a couple inches with an extension should I maybe try a 100 flex?

Old
08-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Whatever you're comfortable with. Usually adults use sticks that are too stiff, but if you're using a 100 flex and feel it's fairly whippy for your height, stick with it!

Old
08-28-2008, 01:31 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Whatever you're comfortable with. Usually adults use sticks that are too stiff, but if you're using a 100 flex and feel it's fairly whippy for your height, stick with it!
Actually I got it wrong, it's an 80 flex (or 40kps). And it was one of my team mates that I lent it to one game that pointed out it was really whippy, I don't really notice too much except I can't take a snap or slap shot like I can with my stiffer wood stick. But yeah, they say adding an inch takes off about 5 flex from a stick, and I'll be adding about 5 inches so should probably go with a 100.

Old
08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
But yeah, they say adding an inch takes off about 5 flex from a stick, and I'll be adding about 5 inches so should probably go with a 100.
Adding length makes the stick whippier....

Old
08-30-2008, 02:19 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
whatever you do, make sure you get a shaft that is compatible with the blades you got. If they're thin hosel you will need a tapered shaft, if not then a regular shaft will do.

Personally I use a Easton Z-Bubble, which is now the S15
S15 shaft or ops, 'cause the OPS is nothing like the z-bub.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
noobman

You should go with anything from an 85-100, depending on how strong you think you are and what position you play. Defencemen usually have stiffer sticks than forwards.

I personally don't like the feel of anything lower than an 85 flex, despite the fact that I'm not terribly strong, and because I switch between D and forward so much, I use a pretty stiff stick.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 02:11 AM
stoll_16

I can vouch for the S15. I have a 100 flex, non grip one. Easton SC Lami Hybrid blade with Iginla curve. A dream stick.

I'm a smaller guy, at 5'9 and 160, but I really like using a stiff stick. I play centre as well

stoll_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:23 PM
MikeD

Take good care of those extra blades. Sitting on a shelf in the garage through a dry winter can make them very brittle...

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
fourofakindfowl

Easton Z Bubble 100 flex with a Modano/Forsberg wood blade is my favourite stick of all time.

fourofakindfowl is offline   Reply With Quote