HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Chipchura Question

Old
08-28-2008, 11:14 AM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Sounds like you see him as a second line center type. I see him as a 4th, 3rd at the absolute best.
What is your definition of a 3rd line centre vs. a 4th line centre? My impression of todays game is that the players with the best all around game will see the most ice time.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Chipchura will never be an offensive wizard, but at least you can put him between two offensive players and he won't look out of place and will contribute. Lapierre can't do that. He doesn't have the basic skill set to at least support offensive players. As soon as he gets the puck in the offensive zone he'll shoot it, generally from a bad angle and without any imagination. He's a pest that is being misscast as a two-way player. He's future is similar to Begin: he'll keep his spot there as long as he works hard and stay away from injuries.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Chipchura wouldn't put up any better offensive numbers in the nhl then Lapierre. Offense is neither one of their forte's/
In their rookie years, Chipchura put up better numbers (11 in 36 compared to 12 in 46). In fact even if you compare Chipchura's rookie year to Lapierre's sophomore year, Chipchura's PPG was .31 while Lapierre's was .34 - not quite a world of difference.

Granted, Chipchura did play with slightly better players than Lapierre does, but not enough to make a significant difference IMO.

Anyway this isn't a knock on Lapierre - he's not on the team to score goals. But I think Chipchura has better offensive instincts than you're giving him credit for.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
In their rookie years, Chipchura put up better numbers (11 in 36 compared to 12 in 46). In fact even if you compare Chipchura's rookie year to Lapierre's sophomore year, Chipchura's PPG was .31 while Lapierre's was .34 - not quite a world of difference.
Thats what i said. Chips won't put up any better numbers. I think he is insanely overrated by habs fans.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:51 AM
zzoo

Chipchura doesn't skate fast, doesn't have a great shot, doesn't play physical, is bad at face-off... somehow I like this kid. I think he will be a good 3rd C.

He was Captain of Canada Jr team, right ? Anyone know the recent captains of Canada Jr team ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 11:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Thats what i said. Chips won't put up any better numbers. I think he is insanely overrated by habs fans.
So you're saying he's already hit his full offensive potential? After 36 games?

I'm trying to illustrate that Chipchura already eclipsed Lapierre's offensive totals (when you compare their rookie years), and came very close to eclipsing Lapierre's second year as well. So to say he'll never put up better numbers than Lapierre is ridiculous because he already has.

I used to think Chipchura was overrated too but not anymore. He'll never be anything more than a third line center but he'll still be a good one.

Old
08-28-2008, 12:09 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
So you're saying he's already hit his full offensive potential? After 36 games?

I'm trying to illustrate that Chipchura already eclipsed Lapierre's offensive totals (when you compare their rookie years), and came very close to eclipsing Lapierre's second year as well. So to say he'll never put up better numbers than Lapierre is ridiculous because he already has.

I used to think Chipchura was overrated too but not anymore. He'll never be anything more than a third line center but he'll still be a good one.
LOL i can't believe we are talking about these 2 guys offense, they don have any!! Like i said, its not and will never be their forte.

Lapierre has 30 points in 100 games playing an agitator role which is .300 points per game.
Chipchura has 11 in 36. 11/36 = .305 points per game.

Thats not what you call eclipsing, thats what you call a wash. I predict that their total offensive numbers when their career ends will also be a wash.

While Chipchura would get inflated numbers playing with Higgins and Sergei, imo those 2 guys will produce less because of playing with Chips.

Old
08-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

And that's all US sane Hab fans expect from Chip, nothing overly spectacular nor big numbers...we expect him to play sound defensive hockey game...

edit: which is exactly why he was drafted in the first place...its not like Timmons drafted him to be an offensive hockey player.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:16 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
And that's all US sane Hab fans expect from Chip, nothing overly spectacular nor big numbers...we expect him to play sound defensive hockey game...

edit: which is exactly why he was drafted in the first place...its not like Timmons drafted him to be an offensive hockey player.
Agreed.

Old
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
LOL i can't believe we are talking about these 2 guys offense, they don have any!! Like i said, its not and will never be their forte.

Lapierre has 30 points in 100 games playing an agitator role which is .300 points per game.
Chipchura has 11 in 36. 11/36 = .305 points per game.

Thats not what you call eclipsing, thats what you call a wash. I predict that their total offensive numbers when their career ends will also be a wash.

While Chipchura would get inflated numbers playing with Higgins and Sergei, imo those 2 guys will produce less because of playing with Chips.
I think it's a little ridiculous that you've already decided what Chipchura's career offensive output will be based on 36 NHL games. All I'm saying is that if he can better or equal Lapierre's numbers in his first 36 games, why is it illogical to assume he can improve upon that and better them for the rest of his career?

But like you said, it is pretty silly to debate the offensive numbers of two decidedly non-offensive guys.

Old
08-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
I think he is insanely overrated by habs fans.
I think when it comes to the "Habs Overrating Youngsters" chart, Chipchura is much lower than others (complete with verbatim quotes):

1. Carey Price ("Jesus")
2. Max Pacioretty ("Should play second line this season")
3. Ryan O'Byrne ("Top 4 D-man")
4. Josh Gorges ("Top 4 D-Man")
5. Sergei Kostitsyn ("Better than Koivu in his youth")
6. Kyle Chipchura ("Second Line Center Potential")

There we go, 6th. That's not to say I don't love all six, but we all tend to overrate like crazy. At least we're not Kings fans and Dustin Brown. I think they believe he is supposed to be handed the Hart this year...

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
TheCH*

Quote:

But like you said, it is pretty silly to debate the offensive numbers of two decidedly non-offensive guys.
Thank You.

Old
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I think when it comes to the "Habs Overrating Youngsters" chart, Chipchura is much lower than others (complete with verbatim quotes):

1. Carey Price ("Jesus")
2. Max Pacioretty ("Should play second line this season")
3. Ryan O'Byrne ("Top 4 D-man")
4. Josh Gorges ("Top 4 D-Man")
5. Sergei Kostitsyn ("Better than Koivu in his youth")
6. Kyle Chipchura ("Second Line Center Potential")

There we go, 6th. That's not to say I don't love all six, but we all tend to overrate like crazy. At least we're not Kings fans and Dustin Brown. I think they believe he is supposed to be handed the Hart this year...
And don't forget Patrick O'Can'teverbetradedbytheKingsSullivan.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Hence why I think he is insanely underrated by Habs fans. Oh well. You'll see. You'll all see. Go Chipper!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Chipchura - Defensive centremen

Lapierre - Aggitating 4h line centremen

That is my expectations, two contributing members of a hockey team...two very different roles...

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I understand their anger over people thinking Kopitar could be had for cheap offer. Kopitar is developing into one of the best centermen in the West, and eventually might become one of the best in the NHL. I'd hate to see people thinking they could land Kopitar for Khabibulin too.

But Brown and O'Sullivan? The way they act around them is *WORSE* than we act around the Kostitsyn's. And thats pretty spectacular.

Old
08-28-2008, 02:48 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Lapierre could be my favorite player on the team. I love his speed and energy, and the fact he knows his role and plays it as well as anyone and is young.

That said, the way I see it, Chips has superior offensive potential. Chipchura will be a solid 20+g 50+p guy for the majority of his career. I see Lapierre being a 15g 35-40p guy during his prime. Chipchura on a great team will be a third line centerman. Lapierre on a great team is an outstanding 4th liner on a team that rolls 4 lines.

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Pr3Va1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Same can be said now for San Jose, Anaheim, Pittsburgh... and Detroit (you know, the cup winners).

Well maybe not the exact same thing.. they (Detroit) are missing forward depth (despite how much love Cleary gets) and great goaltending, but are considered a legit contender on the strength of 4 players (and past showings).

Are you serious?

Detroit won because of their system!

Give Toronto ONE Lindstrom, ONE Zetterberg and make them play the system Detroit played last year... They will end up in the top 4 of the conference.

Detroit with another coaching staff would be a very normal team, IMO

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:19 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Are you serious?

Detroit won because of their system!

Give Toronto ONE Lindstrom, ONE Zetterberg and make them play the system Detroit played last year... They will end up in the top 4 of the conference.

Detroit with another coaching staff would be a very normal team, IMO
you mean without Scotty Bowman in the organization...

I don't think their coaching staff is that amazing, just Scotty that does the job for the last decade... noticed he was on the ice when they won?

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:23 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I understand their anger over people thinking Kopitar could be had for cheap offer. Kopitar is developing into one of the best centermen in the West, and eventually might become one of the best in the NHL. I'd hate to see people thinking they could land Kopitar for Khabibulin too.

But Brown and O'Sullivan? The way they act around them is *WORSE* than we act around the Kostitsyn's. And thats pretty spectacular.
We'd be lucky for Pacioretty to turn into Brown. He's a great, great player.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
We'd be lucky for Pacioretty to turn into Brown. He's a great, great player.
We'd be lucky for anyone to turn into Brown. I'm speaking more of how Kings fans act about him. Not knocking the guy at all.

Old
08-28-2008, 10:13 PM
cguerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
I hope he is going to get a decent shot this year which someone else then Lats on his wing (not that I do not like Lats but the two of them on the same line is not a good thing as they are both below average skater). I whish MTL would consider what he could bring in a slightly more offensive role say if he was partnered with Higgins and S.Kostsitsyn. I think that this guy can bring a lot more to the table then being a shutdown guy. He has good hockey sense and protects the puck extreemly well along the boards, he is a good passer and has a decent shot. I can't see any reasons why he would not succeed with two linemates that are a little more offense driven ...

I would realy like to see this lineup this year ...
Kostsitsyn, Plekaneks, Kovalev
Tanguay, Koivu, Latendresse
Higgins, Chipchura, S.Kostsitsyn
Begin, Lats, Laraque
I can be more with you on that one. That's my line-up too.

cguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
Sounds like you see him as a second line center type. I see him as a 4th, 3rd at the absolute best.
Where in hell did he mention that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
What is your definition of a 3rd line centre vs. a 4th line centre? My impression of todays game is that the players with the best all around game will see the most ice time.
Seriously, this whole debate about what is a 2nd,3rd and 4th line centre is just plain ridiculous. Hell, apparently on HF a 27 goals scorer is a 3rd liner (Higgins) and will be nothing more than that. Yet, on HF boards Skostitsyn (27 pts) is sure fire 2nd liner while Akost is a first liner already with less goals than Higgins. Furthermore, Lapierre= Chipchura offensively and Chipchura's potential is 30 pts.

God I love these boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You forgot to mention the almighty Kevin Bieksa, or even the untouchable Jordan Staal.

Last edited by Chomsky: 08-29-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:30 PM
newsylalonde100

Chips will be a regular in the nhl very soon. He will be an extremely underated player because of his skating but will be very much appreciated before long. Kyle will be a top notch penatly killer with tremendous leadership and should be able to produce 40 points a year with no power play time. By Christmas I see him centering Sergei Kostitsyn and Max Pacioretty

newsylalonde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
He sucked at face-offs and was lost im 50% of his games, easy decision to send him down...the Habs 3rd line center !! I mean, this is a contender cup team we are talking about !! 4th line center okay, but 3rd ? No way !!

Did anyone realize that this controversial (for want of a better term) poster is as much a Sens fan as a Habs fan? Here's the proof from the Ottawa board.

Quote:
I think the Wild card in this trade is Alexandre Picard... The guy might very well develop into a solid number 3-4 defencemen. The 1st round pick is never bad and Kuba well, brings stability to our defense...

Looks like an okay deal for now...

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote