HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What will the powerplay look like?

Old
08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
ok coach...

i think human nature tends to disagree with. how would you feel if your spot went to a 40 year old who looks like a 60 year old skating up and down the ice?
he makes a very good point actually. maybe you just dont like Shanahan, i dont know? But if a player has a hissy fit because a 40-year old(that will probably get more points than the younger player) took his spot than that kid deserves to be in Hartford and needs to mature.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
how is he embaressing himself. his whole entire career he has been skating as if hes in quick sand. you have to be crazy to not respect one of the greatest players to lace up a pair of skates. And you can see in the playoffs in Game 1 that shanny has MUCH, MUCH respect from younger players when him and Dawes were on the 2 on 0 with Marty on the bench, and Dawes passed it to Shanny but Shanny passed it back. But resent him? you cant be serious. im sorry but that is one of the craziest things i've heard.
please..shannys grandstand pass to dawes is so overplayed on these boards.....in reality he should've buried the puck and ended the game...

so your saying if korpikoski gets sent to hartford so shanny can play for the Rangers that won't build any resentment towards grampa shanny? i disagree..

your right about shanny skating in quicksand his entire career but he has gotten slower.....

it's time to move on from old man shanny...he is painful to watch....it's not like this team is dying for leadership or his overrated "intangibles"..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Smashley

Not pass-pass-pass-pass-crossbar-pass-pass-pass, hopefully.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
please..shannys grandstand pass to dawes is so overplayed on these boards.....in reality he should've buried the puck and ended the game...

so your saying if korpikoski gets sent to hartford so shanny can play for the Rangers that won't build any resentment towards grampa shanny? i disagree..

your right about shanny skating in quicksand his entire career but he has gotten slower.....

it's time to move on from old man shanny...he is painful to watch....it's not like this team is dying for leadership or his overrated "intangibles"..
whatever you want to think, but obviously Sather has different opinions considering he;ll re-sign him if Sundin retires which looks like he will.

Old
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

While I agree it's time to move on, I also see the other point being made as correct.

Korpikoski is not a lock for this team...while it's wise to move on from Shanahan, any rookie that is pissed about not being able to play or play enough needs to prove he should play enough, not blame it on Shanahan, because Renney has proven that he plays those that should be played.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
he makes a very good point actually. maybe you just dont like Shanahan, i dont know? But if a player has a hissy fit because a 40-year old(that will probably get more points than the younger player) took his spot than that kid deserves to be in Hartford and needs to mature.
shanny looked lost at times last year...is a disgrace in his own zone and did more to keep gomez down then any other rangers player...

i don't think a player is going to have a hissy fit...i think the players are going to say "why am i in hartford while #14 is embarssing himself with the Rangers"?

leadership is great...i just wish shanny showed it in buffalo in game 5.....i wish he showed it in pittsburgh in game 1.......

it's time for the rangers to move on from shanny.....they have no NEED for him.....we have one forward too many now....why bring back a guy who may have signed the declaration of independence?

Old
08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
While I agree it's time to move on, I also see the other point being made as correct.

Korpikoski is not a lock for this team...while it's wise to move on from Shanahan, any rookie that is pissed about not being able to play or play enough needs to prove he should play enough, not blame it on Shanahan, because Renney has proven that he plays those that should be played.

so you think the rangers would waive shanny if korpikoski out plays him?

i doubt that...

i doubt we'd see shanny take a lesser role to return...

i think it's ridicoulous to even think about bringing shanny back..

Old
08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
whatever you want to think, but obviously Sather has different opinions considering he;ll re-sign him if Sundin retires which looks like he will.
how do you know that?

did you run into sam rosen again?

Old
08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
how do you know that?

did you run into sam rosen again?
considering the reports about Sather telling Shanny to wait a bit and he will see what he can do.

Oh nice, gotta do a personal shot at me, since you "I lied" about talking to Sam Rosen as if no one can speak to him

Old
08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Gomez - Drury - Zherdev
Redden - Rozsival

i really hope we put redden and rozsival together on the point, because this makes our point EXTREMELY dangerous, as both of them can pass or shoot well. watch detroit's power play, it all starts with good movement at the point, and that's what we can have. gomez and zherdev are good passers who can move the PKers around to make lanes, and zherdev has the shot to whip at the net where drury will be screening.

prucha - dubinsky - naslund
girardi - mara/kalinin

dubinsky's big body will attract defenders down low, making space for prucha to sneak towards the net, and naslund can laser shots at the net for prucha to get rebounds. naslund is good enough passer that if he doesn't have a shot, he can move it to mara or girardi quickly and they can bomb it.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
considering the reports about Sather telling Shanny to wait a bit and he will see what he can do.

Oh nice, gotta do a personal shot at me, since you "I lied" about talking to Sam Rosen as if no one can speak to him
reports??

did sather say this recently? do you have direct quotes from sather or is eklund the source?

who said you lied about talking to sam rosen?

Old
08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
reports??

did sather say this recently? do you have direct quotes from sather or is eklund the source?

who said you lied about talking to sam rosen?
Sather did not say recently, but Sather hasnt talked to the press since the Naslund signing.

Old
08-28-2008, 12:33 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
but Sather hasnt talked to the press since the Naslund signing.
I wonder why... not.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Son Of Steinbrenner

Here are the quotes. it was in the Shanahan thread, Chariot posted it.

Quote:
Off Yahoo sports:

I haven't spoken directly with any other teams," Shanahan said. "But the ones that have contacted my agent have all been told the same thing: ‘My focus remains on working something out with New York and we're still talking with Glen Sather.'"

... But Rangers GM Glen Sather has refused to close the door on a Shanahan return. And Shanahan remains determined to play a third season with the Rangers - even if it means taking a dramatic pay cut from the $5 million he made last season to approximately $1 million.

Shanahan has enrolled his three young children in a Manhattan private school. And he and his wife Catherine have determined that, no matter what, the family will live in the city this year."

Old
08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Sather did not say recently, but Sather hasnt talked to the press since the Naslund signing.
so then tell me, how do you know that the rangers will sign Shanny if Sundin retires?

you are the guy who posted...

Quote:
but obviously Sather has different opinions considering he;ll re-sign him if Sundin retires which looks like he will.
you are posting this is if it's a fact and it isn't..right?

also...what magical cap room do you see created for shanny? the rangers would need to trade prucha to sign sundin...do you think they would do that for shanny? If that was the plan wouldn't prucha have been moved earlier in the offseason when there was a market for players? now rosters are just about set...why would the rangers not want to be in a postion of strength on the trade market?

Old
08-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Here are the quotes. it was in the Shanahan thread, Chariot posted it.
weird..i don't see any quotes from sather...i see quotes from shanny begging for a job but none from sather...

Old
08-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
weird..i don't see any quotes from sather...i see quotes from shanny begging for a job but none from sather...
it says Sather hasnt closed the door on Shanny yet. maybe he just didnt want to speak to the media

Old
08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
it says Sather hasnt closed the door on Shanny yet. maybe he just didnt want to speak to the media
if the door was still open wouldn't shanny have been signed? Camp is two weeks away...

if shanny wants to come back he should come back on a tryout and earn his contract...

Old
08-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
if the door was still open wouldn't shanny have been signed? Camp is two weeks away...

if shanny wants to come back he should come back on a tryout and earn his contract...
honestly you have me stumped. i really dont feel like arguing anymore. im just gonna end it as i feel Shanny deserves to come back. he was a 23 goal scorer last year and a 20+ goal scorer the year before.

Old
08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
you honestly dont think players will respect Shanny whos been on the team for 3 years?
3 years - 1 year = 2 years

thats the correct number

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
3 years - 1 year = 2 years

thats the correct number
2 + 1(if he comes back) = 3.

Thank you though for giving me math lessons.

Old
08-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Turambar

Quote:
2 + 1(if he comes back) = 3.

Thank you though for giving me math lessons.
But he wouldn't have played that year yet, so why would it count as a year?

Wouldn't it be more like 2 years + 1/82 of a year?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Unk

#1 PP Unit:

Zherdev-Gomez-Naslund
Rozsival-Redden

#2 PP Unit

Drury-Dubinsky-Dawes/Prucha
Girardi-Mara/Staal

Though the 2nd unit is noticably weaker, IMO it's better to have a really good #1 unit before having a good #2 unit. Considering the #1 unit will probably be eating up the most time, I'd prefer it be as good as possible. However I think that 2nd unit could have some nice potential, especially w/ Girardi and Dubinsky.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
But he wouldn't have played that year yet, so why would it count as a year?

Wouldn't it be more like 2 years + 1/82 of a year?
touche. but the point i was making was that he was on the team for 2 years going on his 3rd year if he re-signs, its not like Yanic Perreault is taking a spot away from a young player.

Old
08-28-2008, 08:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
why would the Rangers name a ONE year captain?

I doubt the younger players will respect a guy who is essentially taking a spot away from them....

Shannys the elder in years and in time on the team. At least over Drury. I dont see Drury taking the C with Shanny there unless Shanny says so.

And as others have posted. If your a young player who can't find respect for Brendan Shanahan maybe you should not be a NY Ranger.

I hear your point about taking a young guys spot, but this is a bona fide HOF who still led the team in goals for most of last season. He touted as a great leader and he enjoys the media. Speaks well, says the right things at the right time. Has a good sense of humor and he's tough, and honest.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote