HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia

Old
08-13-2008, 05:21 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Isnt that northeast philly?
yea I thinks so

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Well, there's a Hooters on Street Road.

and Joker's.

That's all I know about bars in Northeast Philly

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkowar View Post
Well, there's a Hooters on Street Road.

and Joker's.

That's all I know about bars in Northeast Philly
There's a Chickie's on the boulevard down there too. Also, Paddywacks is decent. There's two within about 5 minute drive of each other along the boulevard as well. And if you're looking for really good pizza, look up a place called Gearo's. It's a restaruant/ sports bar type of place, but their pizza is kick ass.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 05:53 PM
hockeygoon15

Hello all. Islanders fan here. Yes, you can rip on me, I'm used to it. Anyway, I had some questions for ya. I made the trip down to Philly from LI last season for a Flyers/Pens game - you routed them by a score of like 8 to 2 or something. Well, I had such a good time I'm going to make another trip this year.

I got a lady friend who's birthday is on the October 9th and is a huge Rags fan (gross, I know...) so I wanted to take her to the Flyers/Rags game on the 11th. It's a Saturday, and I was planning on staying the night so I wanted to know if anyone knew of any fairly nice places to crash near the Wachovia Center. I figures Pats is a pregame ritual that I'd like to repeat, but any other ideas for where to go before a game? Also, regarding the hotel thing, is there any place that would be within walking distance or accessible via public transportation? From what I remember last time you do have a pretty nice sports bar on the concourse...

If anyone's going to that game, we'll be the out of place couple wearing Islanders and Rangers jerseys. A few of you actually spotted me last year walking around in the Isles digs.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

-Rob

Edit: One more thing... Individual game tickets. Anyone know when they go on sale?

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
Hello all. Islanders fan here. Yes, you can rip on me, I'm used to it. Anyway, I had some questions for ya. I made the trip down to Philly from LI last season for a Flyers/Pens game - you routed them by a score of like 8 to 2 or something. Well, I had such a good time I'm going to make another trip this year.

I got a lady friend who's birthday is on the October 9th and is a huge Rags fan (gross, I know...) so I wanted to take her to the Flyers/Rags game on the 11th. It's a Saturday, and I was planning on staying the night so I wanted to know if anyone knew of any fairly nice places to crash near the Wachovia Center. I figures Pats is a pregame ritual that I'd like to repeat, but any other ideas for where to go before a game? Also, regarding the hotel thing, is there any place that would be within walking distance or accessible via public transportation? From what I remember last time you do have a pretty nice sports bar on the concourse...

If anyone's going to that game, we'll be the out of place couple wearing Islanders and Rangers jerseys. A few of you actually spotted me last year walking around in the Isles digs.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

-Rob

Edit: One more thing... Individual game tickets. Anyone know when they go on sale?
There aren't any "nice" hotels within walking distance. Depending on how much you are looking to spend, the Hyatt at Penn's Landing (http://pennslanding.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp) is a very nice.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
There aren't any "nice" hotels within walking distance. Depending on how much you are looking to spend, the Hyatt at Penn's Landing (http://pennslanding.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp) is a very nice.
Airport or Center City hotels via train?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
hockeygoon15

thanks for the help guys. it's between the b&b style place in the city center or the holiday inn right near the arena. i think i'm gonna stick with the holiday inn - it just seems easier. how hard do you think it is going to be to get tickets to that game (10/11 vs. NYR)?

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM
lisagc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
how hard do you think it is going to be to get tickets to that game (10/11 vs. NYR)?
I'm flying in from Toronto for that game, and already bought my tickets on stubhub to be safe (also for the 10/13 game vs. Habs).

lisagc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:41 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Hey guys, I've just been to Philly and I just wanted to pop in here and let you know I really enjoyed the city. Great place to visit. I stayed near the airport and had a chance to visit the main tourist attractions, including the art museum, which was awesome. Walked through most of downtown as well.

I might just make my way back to Philly this season to watch Danny Brière play. He's from my hometown and I used to play at the same pond when we were kids.

Cheers!

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Hey guys, I've just been to Philly and I just wanted to pop in here and let you know I really enjoyed the city. Great place to visit. I stayed near the airport and had a chance to visit the main tourist attractions, including the art museum, which was awesome. Walked through most of downtown as well.

I might just make my way back to Philly this season to watch Danny Brière play. He's from my hometown and I used to play at the same pond when we were kids.

Cheers!
Philly gets a bas rap for parts of the cityt hat most outsiders never see. If you stay in center city or around there your actually very safe even down to the sotuh street around your pretty good. Basically stay out of North philly and your ok for the most part. Well west philly too but you almost have to get lost to wander over there. stay east of the art museum and you might just make it out to tell the story. In all center city is a great place to go, so many thigns to do and see and its safer around there than most people would think.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 02:54 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Philly gets a bas rap for parts of the cityt hat most outsiders never see. If you stay in center city or around there your actually very safe even down to the sotuh street around your pretty good. Basically stay out of North philly and your ok for the most part. Well west philly too but you almost have to get lost to wander over there. stay east of the art museum and you might just make it out to tell the story. In all center city is a great place to go, so many thigns to do and see and its safer around there than most people would think.
Well, we DID get lost driving around trying to find center city, and yes, we saw that famous Northern part of the city which is really scummy looking. It is incredible to see the contrast between the poorer areas of Philly and the main downtown core, but I was glad to have seen it. I like to know what really goes on outside of what the tourist usually get shown.

But I guess the same goes for most major cities. Montreal is similar, albeit in a much less extreme way.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:29 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Well, we DID get lost driving around trying to find center city, and yes, we saw that famous Northern part of the city which is really scummy looking. It is incredible to see the contrast between the poorer areas of Philly and the main downtown core, but I was glad to have seen it. I like to know what really goes on outside of what the tourist usually get shown.

But I guess the same goes for most major cities. Montreal is similar, albeit in a much less extreme way.
Aim for the big buildings?

Old
08-28-2008, 03:51 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Aim for the big buildings?

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Unstable

We're hoping that the growth and revitalization CC has seen in the last 10-15 years will lead to good things throughout the city in the future.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 03:15 PM
NLfan

I am staying in the Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Airport next month. How much would I pay for a taxi-ride to the Wachovia Center?

NLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2008, 07:51 PM
letsgoflyers75

Send a message via AIM to letsgoflyers75 Send a message via MSN to letsgoflyers75
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLfan View Post
I am staying in the Fairfield Inn Philadelphia Airport next month. How much would I pay for a taxi-ride to the Wachovia Center?
Not exactly sure, but you can take the train which is a better bet. Take the R1 from the Airport to Suburban Station and then there's a free transfer to the Broad Street Subway City Hall station... take it south to the end of the line, Pattison Avenue, and you're at the stadiums.

letsgoflyers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 12:03 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Lorenzo's pie is quite good, but Tacconelli's is also very good.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
eroth

do any of you guys know of a good bar/restaurant or whatever to watch games that are on CSN? preferably out towards KoP/Valley Forge (off of 422 or whatever).

I'll be back in town visiting family, and i'll be damned if I have to miss a game simply because they switched to DirectTV.

eroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:12 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroth View Post
do any of you guys know of a good bar/restaurant or whatever to watch games that are on CSN? preferably out towards KoP/Valley Forge (off of 422 or whatever).

I'll be back in town visiting family, and i'll be damned if I have to miss a game simply because they switched to DirectTV.

McFaddens or Chickie and Pete's are tow decent places for that

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
eroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
McFaddens or Chickie and Pete's are tow decent places for that
yeah, but both of those places are pretty far downtown for me. prefer something further out in the burbs and not just some corner bar with a small tv....

Old
11-17-2008, 08:56 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroth View Post

Champps
http://www.champps.com/

Screwballs
http://screwballsbarandgrille.com/

Winner's Circle in Exton.
http://www.winnerscirclesportsgrille.com/

Old
11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Lorenzo's pie is quite good, but Tacconelli's is also very good.
Lorenzo's is good pizza.

Philly Taco =
Lorenzo's slice wrapped around a Pat's Cheesesteak

It may kill ya, but you will die with a smile!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 12:00 AM
eroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Thanks man. I've seen that Champps by the new movie theater many times, but the parking lot was always deserted...

but those places look great...

Old
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Alicat
Charge!

hey all, a friend and I were looking to coming down for the March Philly/Florida game, our question is where does the visiting team normally stay, as we are toying with the idea of staying at a nicer hotel and driving rather than flying? We are bruins fans, but we both love Nick Boynton and other than the other night we have to wait every 2 years to see him the way the schedules work, plus we'd love to see Philly as it is a city neither of us have really been able to explore... Thanks so much

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat4434 View Post
hey all, a friend and I were looking to coming down for the March Philly/Florida game, our question is where does the visiting team normally stay, as we are toying with the idea of staying at a nicer hotel and driving rather than flying? We are bruins fans, but we both love Nick Boynton and other than the other night we have to wait every 2 years to see him the way the schedules work, plus we'd love to see Philly as it is a city neither of us have really been able to explore... Thanks so much
I know the Ritz is at least one of them. Forget the other though, but normally the hotels are in Center City.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote