HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Senators, Meszaros not close to new contract

Old
08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
SR

vCash: 500
Senators, Meszaros not close to new contract

Quote:
The Ottawa Senators and restricted free agent defenceman Andrej Meszaros are still far apart in discussion about a new contract.

Senators general manager Bryan Murray spoke to the media at the Bell Sensplex on Thursday and addressed the impasse.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2477...=secStory_main

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
wow he's still not signed yet... Murray what are you doing!

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBenz View Post
Trying to get a good deal. Meszaros has two other options (1 he would probably never use) go to KHL or sign an offersheet.

Or he could take the deal.

Murray knows what he's doing, he's trying to sign a player to a contract he likes.

Tubby Tuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
Trying to get a good deal. Meszaros has two other options (1 he would probably never use) go to KHL or sign an offersheet.

Or he could take the deal.

Murray knows what he's doing, he's trying to sign a player to a contract he likes.
At least Sens fans get it. Certain Kings fans are up in arms because Lombardi hasn't signed Stoll and O'Sullivan yet. He's trying to sign players to contracts he likes.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBenz View Post
Well, in Murray's defense, it takes two to tango. If the kid wants Weber money... well at some point a GM needs to take in the bigger picture and put his foot down... that, or just wait a few weeks and then split the difference.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
At least Sens fans get it. Certain Kings fans are up in arms because Lombardi hasn't signed Stoll and O'Sullivan yet. He's trying to sign players to contracts he likes.
The difference is this though.....Murray can start the season without Mezaros on the roster and it would not really affect the team. If Dean tries to start the season without O'Sullivan and Stoll the Kings will be way under the salary floor and will have major consequences. Huge difference between these two scenarios.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
AC Le Rock

why hasn't anyone thrown an offer sheet at any RFA's year? Was it just Lowe with Vanek/Penner last summer? I thought that offer sheets would've been much more common once Lowe pulled that. Some one fill me in if I'm missing some key info.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
why hasn't anyone thrown an offer sheet at any RFA's year? Was it just Lowe with Vanek/Penner last summer? I thought that offer sheets would've been much more common once Lowe pulled that. Some one fill me in if I'm missing some key info.
David Backes and Steve Bernier were both signed to offer sheets that were immediately matched.

Everybody keeps expecting this wave of offer sheets to start flying... and it has yet to happen since the lockout. Like always, I'll bet we see no more than three or so a year. GMs understand that offer sheets sour relations with the other club, and can cause problems if they have a player that you want to pick up at the deadline. Besides, nobody wants to end up watching a temper tantrum thrown in the media by one of their counterparts because they were totally within their rights to do something to try and improve their club... again.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 08-28-2008 at 03:25 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:21 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Jay McClement and Steve Bernier were both signed to offer sheets that were immediately matched.
It was David Backes, not McClement.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:23 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Jay McClement and Steve Bernier were both signed to offer sheets that were immediately matched.

I see I see. I'm still surprised that they're the only two with all the promising RFAs this offseason had to offer.....didn't Bernier play for Buffalo at the end of the year? And isn't he playing for Vancouver this year??

Old
08-28-2008, 03:25 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I see I see. I'm still surprised that they're the only two with all the promising RFAs this offseason had to offer.....didn't Bernier play for Buffalo at the end of the year? And isn't he playing for Vancouver this year??
Bernier was traded to Vancouver for draft picks in the offseason...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:26 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It was David Backes, not McClement.
Fixed. For some reason I always get those two mixed up.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:26 PM
eklunds source

Blah. nevermind. ignore.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
The difference is this though.....Murray can start the season without Mezaros on the roster and it would not really affect the team. If Dean tries to start the season without O'Sullivan and Stoll the Kings will be way under the salary floor and will have major consequences. Huge difference between these two scenarios.
So you're just supposed to say **** it and sign them to whatever contract is needed so that we meet the cap floor, regardless of whether or not it makes sense?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:28 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
So you're just supposed to say **** it and sign them to whatever contract is needed so that we meet the cap floor, regardless of whether or not it makes sense?
well what would you do? He doesn't have a whole lot of choices.

Old
08-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Gil Gunderson

If it's true that Mez wants 4.5 million, then screw it.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
No....you are not suppose to put yourself in a position where the players have all of the leverage and you have none. I am pretty sure that the agents of all three of the Kings current RFA's are well aware that Dean has to either....

A) Sign these players or face the consequences....or

B) Sign/trade for some expensive contracts in the mean time to avoid violating league rules.

If Dean would have signed a couple free agents this off season he would not be currently worrying about the cap floor.....and O'Sullivan, Stoll and Richardson would lose much of their current leverage.

Old
08-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
If this guy wants 4.5 million (the same amount as superstar defenseman Weber) i'll happily ship him and his greed to Florida for Wade Belak

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Brian28

Quote:
The majority of the really good RFA's were locked up early or the teams were ina position to match any reasonable offer. The Vanek offer sheet ws believed to be high enough in value Buffalo wouldnt match, but they did. The Penner offer sheet was levied against a team that had it's back to the wall in terms of their cap for that year. If you can't outbid or force a GM's hand than an offer sheet simply won't work.

Also offer sheets while part of the firepower all clubs posses aren't used as often as people expect. There's been a history of I believe 30 something RFA offer sheets in the history of the NHL. They really only make sense for teams that are in tough spots and don't have many other avenues open to improve in the offseason. Also teams that would greatly benefit from having a specific type of player that is available via RFA offer sheets and don't anticipate the compensation picks to be high in draft position could be tempted. For example I wouldn't expect to see teams in the bottom 5-10 offering RFA's anything as they are typically in a rebuild stage and the picks are worth more to them than the player.

Brian28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Seachd

Did anyone see this?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ther-team.html

It says that Meszaros has signed an offer sheet with another team for over $5 million a year.

A poster on the Senators board claims the team is Tampa.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
The difference is this though.....Murray can start the season without Mezaros on the roster and it would not really affect the team.
I disagree completely, unless you mean that they're going to be mediocre with or without him. Ottawa is going to be relying on Meszaros to provide the lion's share of offense from the blueline this season. If he isn't there for the start of the season Ottawa won't have a defenseman that has ever recorded more than 26 points in a season.

For a team that lacks creativity, speed and skill beyond it's top line losing it's most proven offensive defenseman would be a major blow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Did anyone see this?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ther-team.html

It says that Meszaros has signed an offer sheet with another team for over $5 million a year.

A poster on the Senators board claims the team is Tampa.
This is believed to be the Tampa Bay Lightning...

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Can any other team send him an offer sheet right now?

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 04:49 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
5M a year? Have fun in Tampa Meszaros...

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
I disagree completely, unless you mean that they're going to be mediocre with or without him. Ottawa is going to be relying on Meszaros to provide the lion's share of offense from the blueline this season. If he isn't there for the start of the season Ottawa won't have a defenseman that has ever recorded more than 26 points in a season.

For a team that lacks creativity, speed and skill beyond it's top line losing it's most proven offensive defenseman would be a major blow.
It might affect the team on the ice....but it will have no impact of whether or not the league has to implement disciplinary actions towards the team. Those are two different scenarios.

Old
08-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Can any other team send him an offer sheet right now?
I believe that a team can make an offer sheet at anytime during the off season.