HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Stewart

Old
08-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
kostopoulos :

2007-08 Montreal Canadiens NHL 67 7 6 13

Dandeneault :

2007-08 Montreal Canadiens NHL 61 9 5 14
*couple of Stanley cup rings and more experienced.

IMO, one isn't better or worst than the other, yet all I see is people critiscizing Dandy and not Kosto. Both are replaceable parts, and I would like the 'bash Dandy' trend to end, that is immature and inapropriate, and it looks like you bash this guy because of racial issues.
Kostopoulos only scored 13 points? Better get him off that 1st power play unit right away.

Dandenault's GA/60 was 2.86, Kosto's was 2.37. Dandy, unfortunately, is just not a good defensive forward.

Stewart was a pleasure to watch in that one game, but he has more to prove in Hamilton before we can consider him a contender for the Habs. He also has some players in front of him, IMO, even if/when Begin gets hurt. Lapierre, for one, I like better as a winger than a center, and is a better option than Stewart. White and Wyman will probably be competing for the same kind of role as Stewart in years to come. Add to that the fact that coaches are generally partial to using veterans (easily acquirable - ex. Begin, Glencross, Adams, Drake, etc...) in that role. No matter which way you look at it, he'll have an uphill battle to make the Habs as a regular.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Kovalev coughed up the puck twice to bring the Leafs within 1, and give them momentum before the PP goal that fateful night. I'd like to think 2 brutal giveaways in your own zone is considerably worse than an accidental high stick.

I don't hold a grudge against Kovalev for it, why would you hold a grudge against Begin?
Not saying you were one of those people, but Kovalev was bashed quite a bit that season. However I digress, I hold a grudge against Begin because he hasn't done anything productive enough for me get over those penalties. For example, Kovalev came out last season, was our best forward and one of the best in the league. That can easily make you forget about those 2 giveaways.

For what it's worth, I don't hate Begin. I just feel what he brings to the table can be replaced by someone younger, like say Stewart, if it means we are getting rid of the gamebreaking penalties.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 07:25 PM
DougHarvey

Begin can't play a full season and other than heart, he brings nothing to the team on the ice. Dandy is fine , but I would rather save the 1.8 million for someone else

DougHarvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Well, that wasn't my point to play with words about the degrees of amazement there are. (well, very well, amazing). Say whatever you want, that first NHL game for Stewart was amazing for me and for many others. It might have been his one and only game, but unlike you, I don't feel the need to belittle his performance. ( I don't remember Locke having such a strong game, despite being filled by that same adrenaline...)

Plus I don't see anything 'cranky or whatever that word is' about asking about a gritty possible fourth liner. These are indeed UNREALISTIC expectations , to even dare think he could compete with those highly skilled and gritty 4th liners we have. If anything, most everyone seem to be believe he will be in the first to be called up if there are injuries...I'm not calling Price the second coming of Jesus here.
See? Cranky.

There's no need to put down Laraque, Begin and Kostopoulos to prove a point. I have a lot of respect for them.

As others have said, let's see what he does on a regular basis before getting too worked up.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 08:14 PM
puckeater

Funny how that game sticks in my mind also. It's the first I'd seen of him and he impressed the hell out of me. He played like I hope all our "gritty" players play every night. He made something happen on every shift. If he wasn't attempting to set up guys in front, or pot one he was bangin' and skating hard. Not only that but anyone who takes a whack at Bryan McCabe is alright in my book.

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:07 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I'm going out on a limb here, but yes. You are. I think you're forgetting that Dandenault was once a forward in Detroit who didn't put up great numbers. Why would you expect it now?
I'm not expecting great numbers, but good numbers would tally to around 20-25 points as a responsible fourth-liner. I've never seen Greg Stewart play but I'm not ready to surrender a roster spot to him when Dandenault is still serviceable. Unless Gainey can get someone to take him off of our hands to give a guy like D'Agostini or Stewart a roster spot, Dandenault's salary is a sunk cost. We might as well make the best of it.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:28 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchange View Post
Begin can't play a full season and other than heart, he brings nothing to the team on the ice. Dandy is fine , but I would rather save the 1.8 million for someone else
Begin was our spark plug some years ago, I have alot of respect for him cause he always gave his 100% for us, he suffered alot for that jersey but I have to admit that his bad injuries slowed him down..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Begin was our spark plug some years ago, I have alot of respect for him cause he always gave his 100% for us, he suffered alot for that jersey but I have to admit that his bad injuries slowed him down..
he's simply not good enough to be part of the NEW Habs team, players like Kostopoulos Laraque, Chipchura and Lappierre bring more to the table then Bégin, his time is done and so is Dandenault's

Last edited by Maxpac: 08-29-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:57 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Very good point. When he plys with grit he can be quite effective. What is a nice luxury is that Begin, Kostop, Stewart, Lapierre are good skaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
See that's the problem, Dandenault does play well in short spurts. But he totally lacks consistency, which is something you would hope for from a player with his experience.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Dandenault's GA/60 was 2.86, Kosto's was 2.37. Dandy, unfortunately, is just not a good defensive forward.

Stewart was a pleasure to watch in that one game, but he has more to prove in Hamilton before we can consider him a contender for the Habs. He also has some players in front of him, IMO, even if/when Begin gets hurt. Lapierre, for one, I like better as a winger than a center, and is a better option than Stewart. White and Wyman will probably be competing for the same kind of role as Stewart in years to come. Add to that the fact that coaches are generally partial to using veterans (easily acquirable - ex. Begin, Glencross, Adams, Drake, etc...) in that role. No matter which way you look at it, he'll have an uphill battle to make the Habs as a regular.
I mostly agree with you. As impressive as he was in that game, it is highly unlikely he sees many games this year as the fourth line is pretty crowded with the likes of Kosto, Begin, Laraque and Lappy. And I don't even mention Dandy who is likely - I really hope so - done here. However, in the future he will not have to compete with someone like White who is at least a third-liner and maybe more. As for the vets like Drake, yes they will be in the mix but in the cap world, there will always be room for a young and cheap grinder like Stewart. If Stewart continues his progress in the AHL he will get a few games in with the Habs and might be an upgrade over Kosto whose contract will be up at the end of the season. I think he can bring more to the table than Kosto: both don't have much in the way of hands but Stewart is bigger, faster and tougher, and have a better hockey sense. What's more would one ask of a fourth-liner?

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
I was just remembering that last game against the leafs where Stewart was nothing short of amazing. (Fight with McCabe, break-away)

And then, I wondered...

Where does he fit in the line-up? I would really like to see him.

Kovalev Plek Kost
Higgins Koivu Tanguay
Skost Lapierre Latendresse
Laraque Kostopoulos Dandenault Stewart Chipchura

(positions are wrong, don't bother telling me!!)

And I'm not even touching the Sundin madness... Kind of sucks for him...Any chance for him to beat Kosto/Laraque as a grinder? Those who have seen more of him in Hamilton than one game in the NHL???
you cant put too much stock in one meaningless game. What Stewart did with his performance is keep himself on the radar. He`ll have to do more to crack the lineup

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 10:14 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I actually thought Dandenault was pretty good as a forward in the first half of the season. He worked his ass off every shift. He just started to tailed off in the second half. Carbo even started benching him. I'm not sure if it was him, but I remember he complained about his role and being benched. There's also the 1.75 million cap hit. Kostopoulos brought everything Dandy did and did it far more consistently. He was also one of our players who had the job of dropping the gloves. All this and he was just amazing for us in the playoffs so I don't know how you don't see the difference in the two.

I rather give Stewart a shot rather than playing Begin as well. Not because he's French Canadian but rather that I have trouble forgiving him for those 2 penalties.

I like Boullion, because he's usually entertaining to watch and not bad defensively. I like Gorges because he was the captain of the Kelowna Rockets and because he's steady defensively and fearless.

Nationality has nothing to do with it.

That's undoubtedly some good points, but I sure wouldn't be wrong saying that some fans are a little bit biased towards french players. All the cheese and whine on Lats, Bégin, Bouillon, Lapierre, Dandenault, Carbo (our team finishes 1st and some people still think he's one of the worst coaches).

I myself tend to critiscize more our local players, I admit it, even if I'm a french-canadian, maybe I tend to expect more and be more hyped about a future powerforward named Latendresse than some russian prospect, and that maybe is the explanation. This is not racism but it is related to nationality.

Back to the OP, if Stewart can outwork Bégin / Dandenault / Kosto / Chip / Lapierre / whoever in our low depth chart, I'd take him right away. He would surely fit well on a line with Laraque with his grit and toughness and he has some wheels too. But outworking a healthy Bégin will be a very hard thing to do.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:32 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Gregory Stewart: The forgotten 4th liner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwX5u...eature=related

This was his only NHL game last year and he pretty much had 6 scoring chances and a fight with McCabe at the end. I think the kid could play more than 1 game this year...I'll be all for waiving Begin or trading him (especially after his bad penalty last year). Stewart might have no talent but he has awesome heart and grit that can fit on our 4th line.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwX5u...eature=related

This was his only NHL game last year and he pretty much had 6 scoring chances and a fight with McCabe at the end. I think the kid could play more than 1 game this year...I'll be all for waiving Begin or trading him (especially after his bad penalty last year). Stewart might have no talent but he has awesome heart and grit that can fit on our 4th line.
Stewart need to have a good camp but he could be a nice depth 4th liner if we keep begin

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=544766

In before the merge.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Scotianhab

If Begin gets hurt this year then I think Stewart gets the call up for the 4th line. Unless he has a spectacular camp I see him starting in Hamilton.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:40 PM
guest1467

Man, McCabe should be embarrased. Slashes and spears a rookie in the last game of the season(after the game had ended no less) and then gets his ass handed to him.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Dear HF,

IT WAS ONE MEANINGLESS GAME!!!!!!!

Love, reality

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Ross MacLochness

The overrated 4th liner is more like it.

edit- Actually, the overrated minor-leaguer is probably even more accurate.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Dear HF,

IT WAS ONE MEANINGLESS GAME!!!!!!!

Love, reality
He still had one great game is his only game...so why not give him a little more?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

I don't think he's forgotten but he propably won't make the team this year. We have alot of 4th liners that are in their last year of contract and Greg could use a extra year in the A to work on his overall game. He could be a good call up during the year given the season he will have in Hamilton and next year, he'll have a chance to fight for a roster spot.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
He still had one great game is his only game...so why not give him a little more?
Remember Marcel Hossa's first 5 games on Koivu's line? Dude was on pace to smash all Gretzky's records.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Because we have lots of players ahead of him on our depth chart. Players with one-way contracts, who have more experience, who make more money, etc that we can't just shove aside because the almighty Gregory Stewart had one good game in game #82 of the year. He'll be first in line for a fourth-line call-up, that's about it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:52 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Because we have lots of players ahead of him on our depth chart. Players with one-way contracts, who have more experience, who make more money, etc that we can't just shove aside because the almighty Gregory Stewart had one good game in game #82 of the year. He'll be first in line for a fourth-line call-up, that's about it.
Pretty much everything that needs to be said is in this post. Stewart's going back to the minors, folks.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Remember Marcel Hossa's first 5 games on Koivu's line? Dude was on pace to smash all Gretzky's records.
Remember how Sergei Kostitsyn started off well? We should have sent him to the Bulldogs after a couple of games anyway.

I'm all for giving Stewart a chance on the 4th line if he has a good camp.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote