HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montoya or Swartz

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2004, 08:39 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
Montoya or Swartz

I find it weird that no one brough it up so far, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks that one of the two goalie might be availible after the top 10, or even at #18 (we never know?!?)? I really think that we should trade down to draft one of the two, because we don't have real good goalie prospect, and I'm hearing good things about both. Any thoughs?

Old
06-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I don't think that goaltending is the main concern of Gainey. I would personally like to see a big defenseman or big forward drafted. Basically we need to get bigger, I know that has turned into quite the cliche

Old
06-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars
I find it weird that no one brough it up so far, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks that one of the two goalie might be availible after the top 10, or even at #18 (we never know?!?)? I really think that we should trade down to draft one of the two, because we don't have real good goalie prospect, and I'm hearing good things about both. Any thoughs?
It's an interesting idea if either one falls to 18, but there's no need to trade up with Theo, Garon and Danis. It's not like there is a goaltending penurie.

Old
06-18-2004, 09:08 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
I don't agree with you , we need a big defenceman or a Big skilled center we don't need goalie prospect , B.G make a smart move by signing Danis and we already have Michaud and Halak (he is so underrated IMO).My pick for the 18th spot will be (as for a defenceman) Green and Meszaros , Green is not too big but he is physical and he is doing great in the Whl I think he is a style of player like Rivet IMO as for Meszaros we need a good puckmoving defenceman and a good PP quarterback Meszaros can be a great fit there.For the Big skilled Center my choice would be Shremp or Graham ,Graham (6'6 220 lbs) is bigger then Shremp (6'2 200 lbs) but Shremp is more skilled IMO so if Shremp is still avaible at 18th I don't think B.G gonna pass on him.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 06-18-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old
06-18-2004, 10:31 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I don't agree with you , we need a big defenceman or a Big skilled center we don't need goalie prospect , B.G make a smart move by signing Danis and we already have Michaud and Halak (he is so underrated IMO).My pick for the 18th spot will be (as for a defenceman) Green and Meszaros , Green is not too big but he is physical and he is doing great in the Whl I think he is a style of player like Rivet IMO as for Meszaros we need a good puckmoving defenceman and a good PP quarterback Meszaros can be a great fit there.For the Big skilled Center my choice would be Shremp or Graham ,Graham (6'6 220 lbs) is bigger then Shremp (6'2 200 lbs) but Shremp is more skilled IMO so if Shremp is still avaible at 18th I don't think B.G gonna pass on him.
I think that they are undervalued because they play goalie. Grabbing Swatrz out of the top ten could be a highway steal.

Old
06-18-2004, 10:38 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
I think that they are undervalued because they play goalie. Grabbing Swatrz out of the top ten could be a highway steal.
I know that they are underrated but we don't need a goalie with the addition of Danis we don't need a good goalie prospect but a big good D and a Big skilled center and last year we pick Halak very late he was underrated too I think he was a big STEAL but FF de Mars watch out this year Gainey will make a another steal by pick a goalie in the late round this year I think he will pick Brown ( in a late round pick) he can be steal too but we don't have to pick a goalie so early for right now we have enough good goalie prospects IMO BTW it's not Swartz but Shwartz on s'en fou tu mais sur ce board il faut etre parfait LOL .

Last edited by CH Wizard: 06-19-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old
06-18-2004, 11:24 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Very bad idea! Drafting goalies in the first round is the worst way to do. Look at our NHL goalies. Garon and Theodore were drafted in second round. Then Halak was a late rounder, he's a potential starter in the nhl. Danis was singed as a UFA and he's one of the best goalie prospect. With Theodore (almost 28), Garon (26), Danis (23 in two days) and Halak (18 or 19, and he had a 1.66 GAA and 0.942 sv% in the Slovak Extra-League this year, which is absolutly amazing for a such young player imo) we don't really need a goalie. We are OK for years with those 4 imo. More than ok with Theodore plus 3 potentially star goalies.

Old
06-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

No, we don't need to pick a goaltender in the first round. We are set for many years to come and when we will feel that we need a better prospect in front of the net, we will draft him in a latter draft. No this year for sure...

Old
06-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Look at Halak a defenitive steal in 9th round last year . Add to that the addition of Danis and the potential Mathieu Garon have . There is now way we draft a goalie in 1st round this year , i would be really dissapointed .

But from what i've saw and if i would have to draft a goalie it would be Shwartz over Montoya .

Old
06-19-2004, 12:25 AM
Marksman

While I believe they both go in top 12 (Kings & Minnesota my guesses) and off the board when Habs make their choise, I would definitely do it. Draft should be about accumulating assets, Montoya and Swartz are the best players in their categories and should easily be the best players available at 18th. You never know how the goaltending market will be in few years, lockout causing possibly a lot of retirements, etc.... odds are those two guys will have good trade value in future.

Old
06-19-2004, 12:44 AM
leafaholix*

1. Neither will be available at 18.
2. Montreal obviously doesn't need goaltending.
3. I take Schwarz over Montoya... his athleticism is insane.

Old
06-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Taupy

If Bob Gainey want to steal of goaler, he should pick Loic Lacasse. He has even been contacted by the Montreal direction.

Old
06-19-2004, 02:10 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
Very bad idea! Drafting goalies in the first round is the worst way to do. Look at our NHL goalies. Garon and Theodore were drafted in second round. Then Halak was a late rounder, he's a potential starter in the nhl. Danis was singed as a UFA and he's one of the best goalie prospect. With Theodore (almost 28), Garon (26), Danis (23 in two days) and Halak (18 or 19, and he had a 1.66 GAA and 0.942 sv% in the Slovak Extra-League this year, which is absolutly amazing for a such young player imo) we don't really need a goalie. We are OK for years with those 4 imo. More than ok with Theodore plus 3 potentially star goalies.

Goalies use to be picked in later round, not anymore, GM understood that you pick the best player availible. Look at Luongo, he was drafted early.

Old
06-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

Only if.

If we get lucky and one one them is availible i would say go ahead and then make a deal with someone in need of a goalie.

Old
06-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Scotia_Vees
If we get lucky and one one them is availible i would say go ahead and then make a deal with someone in need of a goalie.
Exxxxactly. They won't be there at #18, and I predict at least one of them will go shockingly high in this draft. (Meaning the other will go shockingly just a little bit lower because LA needs to get the other one at #11). But besides that, IF for some reason that didn't happen and one was still there, that would be a great chance to try to move down. Mind you, there aren't a lot of teams that need a goalie coming after us. Maybe Edmonton, #25 and #44 for #18?

Old
06-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Maybe Edmonton, #25 and #44 for #18?
Maybe not. Oilers have already 14th pick and they have Deslauriers aswell, who seems to be quite higly regarded on their prospect page.

Old
06-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Kafka

Quote:
BPA

We currently need a defensman with a big upside or a big center, but that kind of player takes a few years to develop. Currently, Urquart is a tall centerman that could do the job.

Anyway, Habs's drafting history tells me that they won't pick a goaltender before the second round. This draft has depth at the goaltending position, with about 7 goaltenders with a sure NHL upside. Having a second round pick, or maybe with their first 3rd ruond pick, Habs could pick a goaltender that could play in the juniors for the next two seasons (they have no goaltending prospects playing in the juniors currently).

Old
06-19-2004, 03:28 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Maybe not. Oilers have already 14th pick and they have Deslauriers aswell, who seems to be quite higly regarded on their prospect page.
It took them 23 months to get his name on a contract.

Highly regarded CHL prospects are usually signed prior to deadline day.

Old
06-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
It took them 23 months to get his name on a contract.

Highly regarded CHL prospects are usually signed prior to deadline day.
Well the DID sign him so doesnt it prove they believe in him?

How does the signing date affect his potential? Maybe his agent wanted better contract or Oilers didnt want to shovel money at him before making sure hes worth investing on?

Old
06-19-2004, 04:39 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Well the DID sign him so doesnt it prove they believe in him?

How does the signing date affect his potential? Maybe his agent wanted better contract or Oilers didnt want to shovel money at him before making sure hes worth investing on?
True.

All I'm saying is that if a team believes a certain player is a pivitol part of the future, they don't wait until 4 or 5 hours prior to the deadline to sign him. But... Carolina waited almost 2 full years to sign Cam Ward... and Jim Rutherford called him their "franchise goaltender" this past winter.

So... who knows.

Old
06-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Point being that they *only* have Deslauriers, and aren't exactly rock-solid at the big league level either. They aren't as needy as some teams (maybe) but there is plenty of speculation that they will go for a goalie at #25 (Dubnyk? Schneider?) to help their long-term depth at the position. Granted, if Montoya or Schwarz was there at #14, why not just take them there and save the effort. But of the handful of teams picking a few spots behind us (I wouldn't want to move down too far or trade our pick away entirely) Edmonton just seems to be the most goalie-needy, organisationally.

It's all a moot point scenario anyway, IMHO.

Closed Thread