HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What will the powerplay look like?

Old
08-28-2008, 08:13 PM
BklyNYR4Life

vCash: 500
i don't get why people seem to be so against the idea of giving prucha pp time. if he's ever gonna get on track and turn back into the scorer he's capable of, he's sure not gonna do it warming the bench when we're on the power play

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Nich

either 5 of our players vs. 4 of theirs...or maybe against 3 of theirs....or 4 of our players againt 3 of theirs....i am not including goalies....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:07 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Our PP will look like our coach STILL doesn't know what he's doing...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:09 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life View Post
i don't get why people seem to be so against the idea of giving prucha pp time. if he's ever gonna get on track and turn back into the scorer he's capable of, he's sure not gonna do it warming the bench when we're on the power play
The problem w/ giving Prucha PP time is that he will need to be on the active roster and therefore play even strength as well, probably on a top line. that is not good. So people are leaving him off b/c really there isn't much room for him on this team.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
The problem w/ giving Prucha PP time is that he will need to be on the active roster and therefore play even strength as well, probably on a top line. that is not good. So people are leaving him off b/c really there isn't much room for him on this team.
For sure, he's going to have to earn it, but it's not as if every roster spot is locked up. Prucha is just as likely to find success as any of the other question marks that could be 2nd liners on October 1st, or could be in Hartford. He's had significantly more offensive contributions than guys like Dawes, Cally, Sjo, Korpo, etc, so it's only common sense that you give him as much of a shot as these guys will get and allow his play on the ice dictate his future instead of personal bias against him.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
For sure, he's going to have to earn it, but it's not as if every roster spot is locked up. Prucha is just as likely to find success as any of the other question marks that could be 2nd liners on October 1st, or could be in Hartford. He's had significantly more offensive contributions than guys like Dawes, Cally, Sjo, Korpo, etc, so it's only common sense that you give him as much of a shot as these guys will get and allow his play on the ice dictate his future instead of personal bias against him.
completely agree. I just think that prucha isn't better than any of those players, and will be outplayed by them in camp.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The guy I want to see getting more PP time is Paul Mara.

08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
More pp time?

I think Mara could get PP time but I'd like to see Staal get PP time during the course of the season over Mara.....

The way i look at it Redden, Rozsival, and Girardi are probably locks to play the point on the power play.....It's going to come down to Mara, Staal, or Kalinin on who is going to get that last spot.......

Mara has a great shot but it misses the net way to often....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:26 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
agreed, i would not mind getting Voros on the PP, he played some of the PP on the Wild and has the size to screen the goalie and put in rebounds.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
i would fully endorse giving him first PP minutes if he remembered how to hit the net. that would be awesome. if were to get back to the kind of numbers he used to put up, we would be a far more dangerous team.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:01 AM
NYR Viper

naslund-gomez-drury
redden-mara

dawes-dubinsky-zherdev
rozsival-girardi

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 02:06 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

it needs to look completetly opposite of last year pizz poor pp.

whatever we do, we cant be much worse.

heres the recipe for our pp:

1 cup SHOOT THE FREEKING PUCK

table spoon of SEE ABOVE and REPEAT

a pinch of HIT THE NET

mix together and GO TO THE FRONT OF THE NET HARD

bake at 350 for 2 min and SCORE GOALS

will feed @ 18,200.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 02:41 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
it needs to look completetly opposite of last year pizz poor pp.

whatever we do, we cant be much worse.

heres the recipe for our pp:

1 cup SHOOT THE FREEKING PUCK

table spoon of SEE ABOVE and REPEAT

a pinch of HIT THE NET

mix together and GO TO THE FRONT OF THE NET HARD

bake at 350 for 2 min and SCORE GOALS

will feed @ 18,200.
they gotta crash the net more since we are a more gritty in your face team.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
NYReign

Gomez-Drury-Zherdev
Rozsival-Redden

Dawes-Dubinsky-Naslund
Mara/Kalinin - Girardi

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

jeez this one pass then shoot power play sounds great....I wonder if our opponents will not block any shots?

also...this talk that the power play can't get any worse is bs...it can get worse...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 06:30 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

The good thing about no Jagr means there is no Jagr block on the power play. Seemed like nobody wanted to shoot when Jagr was out there.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
0-6 on most nights.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Fletch

Singn'...

I still don't know why Renney didn't play Mara more on the PP - especially when it was painfully obvious the team needed a point guy. I'd like to see him get more time also.

This season's PP does scare me a bit. I see Gomez, Drury, Naslund and Zherdev needing equal time at the forward position, but all four can't play together. Splitting them up creates two PP units that can be decent, but I'm not sure of any real successful PP team in the NHL that consists of equal units as opposed to one great one and one decent one. Sure, Redden can help on the point, but I think he had less goals than Girardi last season, so as of now, I'm thinking the Rangers' PP will be mediocre (albeit different from the last three seasons) and the lines will continue to juggle. Having said that, Drury has to be on the left side of the first unit with Gomez as his center (of course that may be diffcult since Naslund needs to be there too).

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I still don't know why Renney didn't play Mara more on the PP - especially when it was painfully obvious the team needed a point guy. I'd like to see him get more time also.

This season's PP does scare me a bit. I see Gomez, Drury, Naslund and Zherdev needing equal time at the forward position, but all four can't play together. Splitting them up creates two PP units that can be decent, but I'm not sure of any real successful PP team in the NHL that consists of equal units as opposed to one great one and one decent one. Sure, Redden can help on the point, but I think he had less goals than Girardi last season, so as of now, I'm thinking the Rangers' PP will be mediocre (albeit different from the last three seasons) and the lines will continue to juggle. Having said that, Drury has to be on the left side of the first unit with Gomez as his center (of course that may be diffcult since Naslund needs to be there too).
Redden isnt really a goalscorer at the point, he is more of a Markov, hes not as good as andrei but they have the same style. If redden can give great passes at the point i think Rosy needs to be his partner, we all know if Michal shoots he has a great ability to score, if he is paired with Redden i can expect up to 18 goals from Rosy, and about 35-40 assists from Redden, that is if they click well together.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Fletch

I think most PP point guys...

score more than the 4 PP goals he had last season. I guess the PP hinges on Redden returning to form of a couple years ago as opposed to what he did the last couple seasons.

Old
09-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
score more than the 4 PP goals he had last season. I guess the PP hinges on Redden returning to form of a couple years ago as opposed to what he did the last couple seasons.
Last season, was a total fail by the Senators. if Redden gets back to where he was in 2005-06 we will all be very, very happy with the contract considering Brian Campbell "Winger playing Defense" is getting 600k more than Wade. I also think with all of the problems in the lockerroom with Emery, ect that it may have taken a mental edge on him plus i think his mother took a big hit to the guy. I think he will score around 7-9 goals next year. he also wont have a huge responsibilty on the team, except help with the PP, and if he is good with Rosy it should be cake. well this is all saying he does good with Rozsival, if he doesnt this can look like one of the worst contracts the rangers ever gave out since the Holik contract.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Fletch

Redden actually had two less PP points last season than Rozsival on a better PP team. don't know much about the locker room problems with Emery and how that affected players, but Redden was pretty consistent each season on the PP, and neither season was something to write home about. In essence, we are hoping that Redden returns to form three seasons ago, and that Renney figures out the PP.

Old
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

our pp will improve by default because mr stubborn is in russia. jagr kept doing the samething all season, and renney allowed it, and everyone including our opponents knew it. same spot on the wall, same standin around and watchin jagr over handle the puck and a general lack of desire to shoot the puck even when open.

2 other reasons this years pp WILL improve.

1. zherdev and naslund. naslund will shoot it and has the perfect snipe for the pp. zherdev can beat guys one on one as good as any other player in the league. hell have chances on the rush to score on the manup with his speed and superdangleishissness.....

2. with redden and rozy as our primary point men we will have 2 pp qbs who can both make that pass from the top and keep the puck moving side to side which is the key to creating time and space on the pp.

i think this years pp will be very good actually. more balanced and more dynamic.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 07:39 PM
shon

I think Girardi and Redden will be fantastic on the pp. Girardi is very smart and can get his shots to the net. without Jagr I will guarantee our pp will be great.Rosival and Staal will get a ton of points. can't wait. Rosie will actually shoot the puck instead of passing to Jagr just to watch him play with it then lose it. Think about it Girardi had more pp goals than Jagr for most of the season .

shon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Fletch

improve by default? Somehow with Mr. Stubborn this team had the 8th best PP during his first two seasons. Why was that and why didn't Renney, er Pelino, figure out what worked in the prior two seasons and at least try it last season?