HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gomez to Vancouver(e4)

Old
08-27-2008, 09:50 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker24 View Post
I honestly wonder if the people in this thread have even seen both players play at least a handful of games. I have, and I believe Coldshot is right on. I would only make one small change and mention that the Ohlund comparison is quite an accurate one, but I think of the younger, more mobile Ohlund when I think of Staal and Edler.

These are two amazing young defenseman. They can both do it all and they have huge upside. It comes down to where the ceiling is for each player because all the pieces are there.
Exactly.

And yes, I'm talking about Ohlund in his prime when I make the comparison. He was a legit #1 defender that would have been a #1 on a lot of other teams in the NHL during his time.

I know the Rangers could have used a guy like him... 97-04... fail...

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Shareefruck

I don't think the guy comparing Staal and Edler is quite giving Edler enough credit. He didn't even mention his most impressive ability-- totally out of this world natural hockey sense and decision-making ability.

Personally I think Staal's had a much better, effective year than Edler, but you gotta love Edler's upside more, IMO. The kid doesn't seem to own any weakness on or off the ice that he doesn't excel at other than physical play, and he isn't soft. Speed, size, positioning, puckhandling, shot power/accuracy, passing, hockey sense, composure/calmness, work ethic. He hasn't even come close to putting it all together, but you can still see it.

I think Staal has a bit more heart/overachiever/will do anything to win mentality, and is more likely to reach his full potential, but if they both top out, I gotta think Edler will be better.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 03:13 AM
Ched Brosky

I am not even going to ask how a topic about Eklunds rumor of Gomez coming to Van turns into a heated comparision between M.Staal and Edler

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
I don't think the guy comparing Staal and Edler is quite giving Edler enough credit. He didn't even mention his most impressive ability-- totally out of this world natural hockey sense and decision-making ability.

Personally I think Staal's had a much better, effective year than Edler, but you gotta love Edler's upside more, IMO. The kid doesn't seem to own any weakness on or off the ice that he doesn't excel at other than physical play, and he isn't soft. Speed, size, positioning, puckhandling, shot power/accuracy, passing, hockey sense, composure/calmness, work ethic. He hasn't even come close to putting it all together, but you can still see it.

I think Staal has a bit more heart/overachiever/will do anything to win mentality, and is more likely to reach his full potential, but if they both top out, I gotta think Edler will be better.
haha. its pretty funny, because when Vancouver fans talk about Edler's abilities Ranger fans would say the same abour Staal's. im not taking a shot at you in any way i just think its humerous. Staal has one of the best hockey sense on the team last year, and had tremendous desicion making abilities. But how do you come up with Edler having more upside?

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
I am not even going to ask how a topic about Eklunds rumor of Gomez coming to Van turns into a heated comparision between M.Staal and Edler
The usual. Someone made a trade proposal somewhere in the thread, these two players got involved and suddenly you have the standard form 2A pissing contest.

It's HF. The two fan bases are obviously going to be over the ears in love in their young (the best asset in a player, ever), promising D-man and can't tolerate the other side claiming their child is more well behaved than your own.

But seriously, can this thread be put down to sleep now? This "rumour" is obviously not going to happen.

Chimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
haha. its pretty funny, because when Vancouver fans talk about Edler's abilities Ranger fans would say the same abour Staal's. im not taking a shot at you in any way i just think its humerous. Staal has one of the best hockey sense on the team last year, and had tremendous desicion making abilities. But how do you come up with Edler having more upside?
That help smily seemed like a bit of a shot.

Maybe I've misjudged Staal a bit and I'm a bit biased, I'll admit I haven't watched him regularly throughout the season, it's just that that subtle ability I've seen in Edler is something I've seen in very few defensemen (I know it sounds ridiculous and I'm not trying to imply ANYTHING with this statement, but I honestly can't think of a defensemen other than Lidstrom where this quality jumps out at me). I'm not talking about smarts or decision-making per say, but more innate offensive/defensive puck-moving instincts. It's just I remember vividly watching watching Edler's first game, and it wasn't just that he was smart and mistake free in his own end and in the offensive zone, it seemed like everytime he did something with the puck, no matter how insignificant it seemed, it would somehow turn out to have the potential to turn into a scoring chance or a great play. It could be a simple pass or chip play into the corner that would somehow turn into a one-timer pass, or just fluttering it into the middle and somehow it ending up being tipped with a screen that I didn't notice at all developing when watching. I was just thoroughly impressed even though he didn't technically do anything, that's all. I think this quality, whatever you call it, hockey sense/whatever has to be mentioned when describing Edler. Not sure if that'll translate into him being a better player, or if Staal has this ability as well (I haven't seen it) but whatever. When I mentioned that, I was just talking out of my ass, basically.

As for Edler having more potential, I'm just basing that on how many more offensive tools he seems to have, as well as improving great defensive poise that will one day make him a very capable shutdown guy. I'm thinking they'll top of similarly. Staal seems like he'll be fantastic and out of this world in his own end, and I'm sure he's got good offensive abilities, but I don't see him blowing anyone away with them. I just see Edler as having more versatile potential (offense-defense), whereas Staal has fantastic out of this world potential one way and good potential the other. It's possible that Edler ends up similar but behind defensively if they both top out (although most likely Staal will be quite a bit better), but I just can't see Staal being close to Edler offensively if they both top out.

The comparison I'm seeing is Staal as a more physical Kenny Jonsson (who's become very VERY good internationally-- and that's the one I'm talking about), whereas I'm seeing (and it's a stretch of course) a bit of a mini-mini-POOR-man's Lidstrom in Edler. Both at about the same level of course, but I'd still take the Lidstrom-like mold of player.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 07:09 PM
CANUCKER4LIFE19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
That help smily seemed like a bit of a shot.

Maybe I've misjudged Staal a bit and I'm a bit biased, I'll admit I haven't watched him regularly throughout the season, it's just that that subtle ability I've seen in Edler is something I've seen in very few defensemen (I know it sounds ridiculous and I'm not trying to imply ANYTHING with this statement, but I honestly can't think of a defensemen other than Lidstrom where this quality jumps out at me). I'm not talking about smarts or decision-making per say, but more innate offensive/defensive puck-moving instincts. It's just I remember vividly watching watching Edler's first game, and it wasn't just that he was smart and mistake free in his own end and in the offensive zone, it seemed like everytime he did something with the puck, no matter how insignificant it seemed, it would somehow turn out to have the potential to turn into a scoring chance or a great play. It could be a simple pass or chip play into the corner that would somehow turn into a one-timer pass, or just fluttering it into the middle and somehow it ending up being tipped with a screen that I didn't notice at all developing when watching. I was just thoroughly impressed even though he didn't technically do anything, that's all. I think this quality, whatever you call it, hockey sense/whatever has to be mentioned when describing Edler. Not sure if that'll translate into him being a better player, or if Staal has this ability as well (I haven't seen it) but whatever. When I mentioned that, I was just talking out of my ass, basically.

As for Edler having more potential, I'm just basing that on how many more offensive tools he seems to have, as well as improving great defensive poise that will one day make him a very capable shutdown guy. I'm thinking they'll top of similarly. Staal seems like he'll be fantastic and out of this world in his own end, and I'm sure he's got good offensive abilities, but I don't see him blowing anyone away with them. I just see Edler as having more versatile potential (offense-defense), whereas Staal has fantastic out of this world potential one way and good potential the other. It's possible that Edler ends up similar but behind defensively if they both top out (although most likely Staal will be quite a bit better), but I just can't see Staal being close to Edler offensively if they both top out.

The comparison I'm seeing is Staal as a more physical Kenny Jonsson (who's become very VERY good internationally-- and that's the one I'm talking about), whereas I'm seeing (and it's a stretch of course) a bit of a mini-mini-POOR-man's Lidstrom in Edler. Both at about the same level of course, but I'd still take the Lidstrom-like mold of player.
agreed edler would be better

CANUCKER4LIFE19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 07:38 PM
God
Free Citizen

My kid's better than your kid.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Turambar

My e-peen is bigger than your e-peen!!

Christ, can we let the Edler v. Staal thing go already?

Canuck fans like Edler, Ranger fans like Staal, end of story.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
My e-peen is bigger than your e-peen!!

Christ, can we let the Edler v. Staal thing go already?

Canuck fans like Edler, Ranger fans like Staal, end of story.
Too bad Stralman is going to be better then them both.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote