HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Jhonas Enroth

Old
08-22-2008, 03:08 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronin View Post
I'm curious- who do you think the guys are?
Based on potential:

Price

Enroth
Bernier
Rask

Pavelec
Harding
Schneider

Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Halak, Elliot, Bishop, Howard, Rinne, Mason.
Is that Chris Mason you're referring to? Oh, wait, forgot about Steve. Still, I don't think any of those guys come close to the Enroth, Bernier, Rask set that I have above. It's all opinion, and I love Pekka Rinne if for no other reason than a kick ass Finnish name, but Bishop? Howard? Meh.

Oh, and for clarity's sake, the groups of three aren't in order, it's just that they're at the same approximate level, IMO.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Based on potential:

Price

Enroth
Bernier
Rask

Pavelec
Harding
Schneider

Others

Is that Chris Mason you're referring to? Oh, wait, forgot about Steve. Still, I don't think any of those guys come close to the Enroth, Bernier, Rask set that I have above. It's all opinion, and I love Pekka Rinne if for no other reason than a kick ass Finnish name, but Bishop? Howard? Meh.

Oh, and for clarity's sake, the groups of three aren't in order, it's just that they're at the same approximate level, IMO.
I guess that's where we differ, I don't see any of those guys on the same level as Rask and Bernier either, but I don't see Enroth up there with them either so I do see him closer to guys like Mason, Bishop, Howard, etc. A lot of those guys are older than Enroth so he could very easily get a nice edge on them with a solid year in the AHL, but right now I think they're close.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 08:02 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

I know this is a bit off the topic. But I will ask this question anyway do you guys think Enroth will be used as a trade chip now that Miller is signed long-term???

The Bored Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 12:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoarWarier27 View Post
I know this is a bit off the topic. But I will ask this question anyway do you guys think Enroth will be used as a trade chip now that Miller is signed long-term???
I don't think so. You can never have too much goalkeeping. There will come a time where Sabres might be wise to trade Enroth when he becomes too good to be a backup and we drafted another gem for goal or have a real solid long-term backup, but thats years down the road. I 'd think as of right now and the near future, Enroth is as untouchable as they get.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Ringer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekera44 View Post
I don't think so. You can never have too much goalkeeping. There will come a time where Sabres might be wise to trade Enroth when he becomes too good to be a backup and we drafted another gem for goal or have a real solid long-term backup, but thats years down the road. I 'd think as of right now and the near future, Enroth is as untouchable as they get.
Or Enroth becomes so good that he forces Miller out of Buffalo. Miller is a solid keeper but he's not spectacular. I believe Jhonas has the potential to really be something special, And folks you dont wanna be the team that trades away a super star goaltender IE: Chicago BlackHawks

Ringer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:50 AM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

You guys make great points. But if Enroth can be traded for a guy like Bouwmeester or Shea Weber would that not be wise???

Old
08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
You guys make great points. But if Enroth can be traded for a guy like Bouwmeester or Shea Weber would that not be wise???
There's no way you could trade Enroth for a 1st pairing defenseman. He would have to be sweetner tossed into a deal as his value is practically nothing. He's not a top flight prospect though he could turn into one depending on how he plays in the AHL this year. Hell even a goalie prospect like Bernier wouldn't be the primary trading chip in a move for a defenseman of their caliber.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
maybe in 3-4 years Miller will be the trade chip?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 12:48 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
maybe in 3-4 years Miller will be the trade chip?

that would be a great problem to have.

but 1, I think this organization will eventually get back to having two starting caliber goalies. The only way miller would be trade bait in 3-4 years if a) we're on a cup run and moving Miller might get us the final piece we need or b) eidsness or eno comes out of nowhere to be so good that we three NHL caliber goalies and we need to move one.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Why Are You Guys Always Wanting To Trade Miller???

Old
08-25-2008, 02:13 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Why Are You Guys Always Wanting To Trade Miller???
Because he was probably have a lot of trade value and Enroth has very little right now?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

I am not talking about trade Enroth now. I know he has no value to teams now but in two yrs I think someone would be interested in him don't you think???

Old
08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
I am not talking about trade Enroth now. I know he has no value to teams now but in two yrs I think someone would be interested in him don't you think???
then why are u even bringing it up when the majority of fans in NA have never seen Enroth even play a single minute and 2) that's for Portland... Our fans will be the ultimate decider if Enroth even translates from the SEL to NA, Boar.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
There's no guarantee, they call them prospects because they might turn out to be something. Well lets look at some of our other prospective goaltenders and see how they turned out: Mika - former 1st rounder, tore up the AHL and now is working at a janitor for a KHL team; Miller - a 5th rounder shouldn't have even been in the running for a contract but now is a starter. You'd hope that Enroth will pan out but the odds are against him, afterall how many 5'10" goalies are there in the league?

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 07:22 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
You'd hope that Enroth will pan out but the odds are against him, afterall how many 5'10" goalies are there in the league?
There's not many but it is possible to succeed at that height. Legace, Toskala, and Osgood are 5'10". Halak, Joseph, Theodore, Turco, Aubin, Tim Thomas, and Gerber are 5'11".

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 07:24 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I guess that's where we differ, I don't see any of those guys on the same level as Rask and Bernier either, but I don't see Enroth up there with them either so I do see him closer to guys like Mason, Bishop, Howard, etc. A lot of those guys are older than Enroth so he could very easily get a nice edge on them with a solid year in the AHL, but right now I think they're close.
Fair enough. Maybe I'm putting too much stock into his excellent performance in the SEL as an 18 year old rookie. We shall see.

Old
08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
There's not many but it is possible to succeed at that height. Legace, Toskala, and Osgood are 5'10". Halak, Joseph, Theodore, Turco, Aubin, Tim Thomas, and Gerber are 5'11".
5'10" looks like a winning height. I'm not sold on 5'11" yet for the most part. I'm just excited to finally maybe get a chance to see him play in North America.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Sabreality

its a good problem to have, Enroth spends the next 2 years getting his feet wet in the AHL, backs up Miller in 10/11, becomes RFA->accepts qualifying offer->transitions from backup to a 1, 2 punch with Miller, takes over job, Miller moved and voila! Enroth All-Star starting goalie in 13/14

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
its a good problem to have, Enroth spends the next 2 years getting his feet wet in the AHL, backs up Miller in 10/11, becomes RFA->accepts qualifying offer->transitions from backup to a 1, 2 punch with Miller, takes over job, Miller moved and voila! Enroth All-Star starting goalie in 13/14

Eno or Eidsness could very well be in the mix well before the end of Miller's contract as well. I want Jhonas to do well. But he's always going to have to show that he perform against progressively harder competition at each stop along the development path.

08-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Mellifleur

Quote:
There is no way that Enroth would net us Weber or Bouwmeester right now.

Miller would have to go down with an injury and Enroth would have to be called up and usurp Lalime and then play incredibly in order for his value to go up to that point.

Even than who is to say that he is just a flash in the pan, which I am sure teams will consider (see Jim Carey, Roman Cechmanek...)

Edit: Just read the rest of this thread... even if you're talking about in 2 years Enroth would have to somehow show his value as a starting goaltender. Bouwmeester and Weber are # 1/top pairing d-men and very good ones at that. Trading a proven dman for an unproven or lightly proven goaltender prospect is just not something that will happen... if it does I'll fall out of my chair... And if Enroth does show up huge, I'd want to hold onto him because we want an possible heir to Miller, depending on how Miller holds out during those 5 years. Does he develop any health problems, does he play up to his contract or better ... It's always good to have a contingency.

Last edited by Mellifleur: 08-29-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
There is no way that Enroth would net us Weber or Bouwmeester right now.

Miller would have to go down with an injury and Enroth would have to be called up and usurp Lalime and then play incredibly in order for his value to go up to that point.

Even than who is to say that he is just a flash in the pan, which I am sure teams will consider (see Jim Carey, Roman Cechmanek...)
The Net Detective!!!!

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
The Net Detective!!!!
His first and only case: What the **** happened to Jim Carey?

Old
11-03-2011, 04:21 PM
static80

Alot of talk in this thread on Enroth and Trade Bait.

I say trade Miller and keep Enroth.
Miller has continually failed in "clutch, must win games", Enroth can do no worse and looks to be a stellar NHL goalie.

Trade Miller, not Enroth, get that elusive stud center.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:43 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post

Miller has continually failed in "clutch, must win games", Enroth can do no worse and looks to be a stellar NHL goalie.

now that is funny

Rookie goalie. Small sample size. Average AHL career. Yea, that is funny

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

Miller has continually failed in "clutch, must win games"
He's won four playoff series in the NHL. What exactly has Enroth won as 3+ years as a professional? Zero AHL playoff series? Gosh, David Leggio has won more than he has, maybe we should promote him.

Quote:
Enroth can do no worse and looks to be a stellar NHL goalie.
Yeah, he can actually do a lot worse than Miller. That you can't even see that as a reasonable possibility shows the depth, or lack thereof, of your analysis on the issue.

Enroth looks to be a stellar NHL goalie? Is that based on his .909 SV% last year, or his whopping two good starts this season? Do you not see a sample size problem here?

Quote:
Oh, this argument again...

Please name one of the mythical #1 stud centers that a team is going to give up for goaltending. You know, since goaltending is so easy to find anywhere and all.

I remember when Steve Mason was the next Marty Brodeur, too. And Mason kept up a better pace for a whole season than Enroth has in his brief career. Sometimes it's a mistake to make overarching conclusions prematurely.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote