HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#33 to be retired in November 2008?

Old
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
CH4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Can't say I agree with this.

Jersey retirements are for those players who best represented the team, whether they be on the ice or off it. When Roy went on his little tirade he decided he was bigger than the team and I see no reason why they should now honour him for it.

When he said "[this is] my last game in Montreal," that should have been it. He made the decision right there that he wanted nothing to do with the organization, and thus he forsakes any future benefits from being associated with them.

Of course, that's not how it's going to work. He will get his number retired this year, and it will make many fans happy. And good for them. It's nice to see your idols receive such a high honour.

I just won't be tuning in for that ceremony.
Guy Lafleur had the same problems and still number 10 is up high at the Bell Center

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
JrHockeyFan

Way too early to give him a retired number. I was always a big fan of his, but I don't think it is time to retire his number

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
Guy Lafleur had the same problems and still number 10 is up high at the Bell Center
Trust me, I'm the last guy to defend Guy Lafleur, but the circumstances surrounding their departures from the team (one retiring belligerently then returning several years later, the other exploding publicly and demanding a trade) vastly differ.

And I didn't watch Lafleur's retirement ceremony

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Corey

Will his son present him with the #33 jersey at the ceremony?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Trust me, I'm the last guy to defend Guy Lafleur, but the circumstances surrounding their departures from the team (one retiring belligerently then returning several years later, the other exploding publicly and demanding a trade) vastly differ.

And I didn't watch Lafleur's retirement ceremony
From my own perspective, I don't see the point in holding onto grudges. He was the integral player on 2 cup runs, he's the lead guy in a generation of goalies, and in many ways he's a jerk.

The rush to do things now probably have more to do with the centennial year and the CH decding what it is we should want, they're always kind of heavy handed.

A lot of guys slammed the door on the way out of the building, including the Rocket. I'm not sure anyone other than Beliveau was able to do it particularly gracefully.

ahh, why not ? You won't be pissed off forever so why wait ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Shadyone33

It's on TSN.ca now too...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=247864&l...=topStory_main

Also...There is another day available where the Habs are at home...

Tue Mar 17, 2009
Rangers Canadiens 7:30 PM ET
7:30 PM ET RDS

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Can't say I agree with this.

Jersey retirements are for those players who best represented the team, whether they be on the ice or off it. When Roy went on his little tirade he decided he was bigger than the team and I see no reason why they should now honour him for it.
In 1995-96, he was bigger than the team. The Montreal Canadiens of the mid 90's were a much bigger embarrassment to our history than any hissy fit or egostroke that Patrick Roy ever had.

To celebrate 100 years of the Montreal Canadiens means putting everything behind us and moving forward. That includes the Molson Era and Le Trade. Better for us to celebrate the greatest player to put on a Habs jersey in the last 25 years than continue to hold grudges.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
From my own perspective, I don't see the point in holding onto grudges. He was the integral player on 2 cup runs, he's the lead guy in a generation of goalies, and in many ways he's a jerk.

The rush to do things now probably have more to do with the centennial year and the CH decding what it is we should want, they're always kind of heavy handed.

A lot of guys slammed the door on the way out of the building, including the Rocket. I'm not sure anyone other than Beliveau was able to do it particularly gracefully.

ahh, why not ? You won't be pissed off forever so why wait ?
Oh I understand my 'outrage' is futile. It really doesn't bug me that much, but I can't pretend I agree with the decision.

But of course, this isn't the first time I've disagreed with something the team's done and it won't be the last.

And it will make a lot of fellow Habs fans happy, so in the grand scheme of things what does one little dissenting voice matter?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

He deserves it.

But I still hate the guy.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:41 AM
brownman*

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Ross MacLochness

I've got no problem with it, but is he going to be the last? I mean what's the cutoff here with the jersey retirements?

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Weztex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
I've got no problem with it, but is he going to be the last? I mean what's the cutoff here with the jersey retirements?
Chronological order.

Weztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
Do Colorado play in MTL this year?

that game would be a perfect fit.
We play every team at least once now.

I hope the date is released soon so I can try and get some tickets for it.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Go Habs Go

I can't believe some of you people. If it weren't for Roy, our Cup draught wouldn't be too far off from the Leafs. If it weren't for Houle/Corey/Tremblay, we might've seen number 25 long time ago. His son gets into a fight and all of a sudden he's a distraction. If that were Todd Ewen's son, nobody would've given a rat's ass.

********* or not, Roy was a champion and one of the greatest Habs and NHL goalie of all time. How do you know the other honored players were good people? The only thing we can judge is their hockey skills on the ice and based on that, Roy's number deserves to be up there.

Only in Montreal will the fans question whether #33 should be retired. The guy changed hockey as we know it. How many french goalies in the league are there because they were "inspired" by Roy?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Kamina
Amok

If Roy's number doesn't get retired, it's an epic failure by the Canadiens organization. There's no reason why it should not be retired.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I can't believe some of you people. If it weren't for Roy, our Cup draught wouldn't be too far off from the Leafs. If it weren't for Houle/Corey/Tremblay, we might've seen number 25 long time ago. His son gets into a fight and all of a sudden he's a distraction. If that were Todd Ewen's son, nobody would've given a rat's ass.

********* or not, Roy was a champion and one of the greatest Habs and NHL goalie of all time. How do you know the other honored players were good people? The only thing we can judge is their hockey skills on the ice and based on that, Roy's number deserves to be up there.

Only in Montreal will the fans question whether #33 should be retired. The guy changed hockey as we know it. How many french goalies in the league are there because they were "inspired" by Roy?
That's one way to look at it. When I look at the numbers in the rafters though, with maybe the exception of Guy Lafleur, what I see is more than hockey players. I see guys who are an inspiration on and off the ice. I see a lot of class acts, good ambassadors for the team, people for whom the logo on the front was more important than the number on the back. I don't quite have that feeling when I think of Roy... and that coming from one of his biggest fan here.

Afterall, provoked or not provoked, he did leave the team and its fans in a knee jerking decision. He didn't think of the Habs. He didn't think of his fans. He thought about Patrick Roy and nothing else when he asked for a trade behind the bench. Don't get me wrong, I'm not clearing Mario of all blame here, but the blame is shared.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:31 PM
noobman

He's currently the best goaltender of all time (until Brodeur passes Sawchuck, but IMO Brodeur's strong defensive team helped him so much) and probably deserves his # to be retired, even if he was a jerk off-the-ice.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:35 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
That's one way to look at it. When I look at the numbers in the rafters though, with maybe the exception of Guy Lafleur, what I see is more than hockey players. I see guys who are an inspiration on and off the ice. I see a lot of class acts, good ambassadors for the team, people for whom the logo on the front was more important than the number on the back. I don't quite have that feeling when I think of Roy... and that coming from one of his biggest fan here.

Afterall, provoked or not provoked, he did leave the team and its fans in a knee jerking decision. He didn't think of the Habs. He didn't think of his fans. He thought about Patrick Roy and nothing else when he asked for a trade behind the bench. Don't get me wrong, I'm not clearing Mario of all blame here, but the blame is shared.
ahmen!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
You're the best brownman! I think this post resumes my thought of this whole thing perfectly!

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 12:39 PM
pavelbure44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Really? Hard to believe, given how Roy left the organization. Does he hold any grudges against the club today? Or is everything good between Roy and the Habs?
The Habs organization is completely different from that era. Gainey, Gauthier, Boivin, Julien Brisebois, not to mention Gillette... none of those guys were present when Roy was traded (Brisebois was still probably in high school!), so I don't really see how there would be bad blood between Roy and the Habs as they are today.

pavelbure44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Blood On The Ice

I can't believe it. Roy gave us 2 Stanley Cups by himself, he is a living legend. When I was young, everybody wanted to be Patrick Roy, he is an icon. A lot of people believe he is the best goalie to ever play the game. He is the last superstar that we had, and if you ask me will never be replace. He his all that I like as an athlete : brilliant under pressure, cocky, hates losing more than he loves to win. I just can't believe that some people think that his number should not be retire.

JE T'AIME PATRICK

Blood On The Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Universe
Eh?

I believe he deserves it but seems really early to be doing that.

Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Guillemin

I honestly think the Habs should wait a couple of years. Not only because he only retired a couple years ago, and there's debate about whether he deserves it, but also because there is tons of excitement about the team this year. Adding this debate into the mix between media and fans will take attention off the team.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 02:53 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think the surest way to be excluded is to have someone lobby on your behalf. I know that different regimes have presided over these things but they seem to react with a lot of indignation to any suggestions as to what they should do. Not Butch's fault though.

I'd like to know how elite a player he was considered as ? I know my Dad thinks the world of him, tells stories about him, but they're more about the guy than the player.
Butch Bouchard was the second best d-man of his era after Eddie Shore.

Huge lack of respect and consideration to not retire his number 3 in the 100th Anniversary of this team.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

It's ****ing hockey. Nelson Mandela and Ghandi ain't up in the rafters. It's Jean Beliveau and Jacques Plante. Hockey players. Cut the crap.

What about everything he did with the Ronald McDonalds Children's Charity? He probably did more with that organization than any player ever has with any other charity organization. Nah, who cares about that, he wasn't a "Class Act".

Give me a break.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote