HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting Against Tampa

Old
08-29-2008, 08:05 PM
NYRangers09

vCash: 500
Starting Against Tampa

Is anybody else scared that they have made their team really good through this offseason? We have to play two straight games against them to start the season and if we lose both then we are going to have some serious morale issues to start the season.

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

you know what the solution is? the rangers should cancel the season...

I hate what the rangers has done but to worry about the effects of possibly losing the two games to start the seasonn is ridiculous...

no offense....

as far as tampa goes they could easily have chemistry issues to start the year...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Not to mention their defense is still very weak and the goaltending is suspect at best.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:26 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Not to mention their defense is still very weak and the goaltending is suspect at best.
And some GM can pull a Kevin Lowe on Meszaros.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
beastly115

Tampa completely overhauled their roster. They may start off on fire but they'll fizzle out around December. They'll drop in the standings and be lucky to squeak into the PO's in the 8th seed.

Come on, we're Rangers fans. We're used to the complete roster overhauls and trying to buy a team thing. We know all too well how that works out.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

there gonna have terrible chemistry issues to start the season, they have 1 new goaltender, 8 new skaters, and a new coach.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:51 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm terrified.

Ryan Malone? Grandpa Roberts? Mark Recchi? Olaf Kolzig? BARRY MELROSE?

What, oh, what will we do?

The Lightning will be a better team than last year, and Vinny Lecavalier is an amazing player, but I'm not that scared of them. The best players on that team were there last season.

Stamkos and Mesjaros are bigger additions than any of the other guys. Malone is overrated and Roberts and Recchi are old. They should have just went with Jussi Jokinen, but they're gonna deal him instead. Doesn't make sense.

Also, Halpern is going to miss most of the season.

And, as if it needed to be said, Barry Melrose sucks.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm terrified.

The Lightning will be a better team than last year, and Vinny Lecavalier is an amazing player, but I'm not that scared of them. The best players on that team were there last season.

Stamkos and Mesjaros are bigger additions than any of the other guys. Malone is overrated and Roberts and Recchi are old. They should have just went with Jussi Jokinen, but they're gonna deal him instead. Doesn't make sense.

the way Ottawa talks about Meszaros is that he is a #3 dman, and most likely he will be there #1

Old
08-29-2008, 09:01 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm terrified.

Thank you

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Boom Quack

i guess i might be the only one who is a lil afraid of the lightning....and if you think about it we might have chemistry issues too since we got alot of new guys this offseason and lost alot of guys this offseason

Boom Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:12 PM
ThirdEye

I think we can easily lose those first two games

I can't see the lightning being a good team throughout the whole season though. I mean, it could happen, but that team right now is a bigger wild card than us

They'll score a lot of goals, but anything after that is in the air like others mentioned

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

I can't see the lightning being a good team throughout the whole season though. I mean, it could happen, but that team right now is a bigger wild card than us

They'll score a lot of goals, but anything after that is in the air like others mentioned
In hockey, you can easily lose two games to anyone. Throughout the season, I don't see Tampa Bay being a contender. Playoffs, maybe, but that is it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post

They'll have zero team chemistry to speak of, and people say ours might be bad? This is their probable line-up.. not bad on paper, but not that intimidating for a season opener.

Prospal-Lecavalier-St. Louis
Malone-Stamkos-Vrbata
Jokinen-Gratton-Recchi
Roberts-Tarnasky-Artyukin/Hall

O'Brien-Meszaros
Carle-Ranger
Lundin-Smaby

Smith
Kolzig

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:35 PM
MSG the place to be*

man i wish we had Jagr to go up against that D. On most nights teams make sure to have their best shut-down guy shadow jaromir all night ie. Komisarek and Chara. To say they dont have that type of guy is an understatement.

Also, even though they brought in all these forwards i still see them as a one line at the start of the season. no disrespect to stamkos but its hard to dominate your first couple games in the league. Hopefully since we are paying 7 mil for Drury and Gomez to be good defensive forwards (dont get me started) they can buckle down on the top line.

NOT TO MENTION, ITS AN 82 GAME SEASON!!!

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:38 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Two totally overhauled teams. I think its a great matchup. Exciting at least.

08-29-2008, 11:45 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
They'll have zero team chemistry to speak of, and people say ours might be bad? This is their probable line-up.. not bad on paper, but not that intimidating for a season opener.

Prospal-Lecavalier-St. Louis
Malone-Stamkos-Vrbata
Jokinen-Gratton-Recchi
Roberts-Tarnasky-Artyukin/Hall

O'Brien-Meszaros
Carle-Ranger
Lundin-Smaby

Smith
Kolzig
They don't have one veteran defenseman, which is going to cost them big when they need that experience and leadership. Not to mention that Meszaros is not a #1/#2 defenseman, and his offensive numbers were somewhat inflated by him having played with some very good forwards. That's not to say he will drop off exponentially or anything, but I don't really expect him to have a better season than he did with Ottawa.

Philly did pretty well bringing in a ton of new players though, so you can't discount Tampa right away. Philly brought in the right players though, with Tampa I'm not so sure.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 12:49 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Yeah those four games against the Lightning this year have me up all night sweating.

This happens every year. A team completely overhauls their roster and everyone starts picking them to win the Cup. The Rangers were in their shoes just a few short years ago.

The Lightning have definitely improved themselves, but they aren't quite there yet. They should be a playoff team, maybe they'll win the division, but they aren't going to win the cup simply because of the offseason they had.

If the Rangers lose the first two games, then they can just start fresh back in North America. There's alot of new faces here and they may not gel right away, but it won't be the end of the world.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 02:30 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I do think the Lightning are going to do great this season, but first of all I'm not concerned about one game, and also I think the Rangers will be much improved as well.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
the way Ottawa talks about Meszaros is that he is a #3 dman, and most likely he will be there #1
What has Michael Rozsival been for the Rangers the past three seasons?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
What has Michael Rozsival been for the Rangers the past three seasons?
we played a defensive style game. They play an attack system with Barry Melrose behind the bench. totally different.

Old
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
And some GM can pull a Kevin Lowe on Meszaros.
Didn't this just happen. You where dead on!

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Synergy27

I honestly wouldn't want to start this season against anyone other than Tampa. As most have stated already, there is almost no chance that a team that has been overhauled that extensively will be able to gel right away. Hell, if that team is playing good hockey before Christmas it will be an accomplishment. Would you rather take the "new look" Rangers up against a team with a solid foundation (NJD, CAR, OTT, etc.)?

Also, given what most people expect to be some serious defensive issues in Tampa, I see this as an opportunity for the Rangers' skill players to get off to a quick start. We all know how important momentum and confidence are in hockey, and if the Rangers are able to pot 7-10 goals in those first two games it could go a long way in establishing the offensive identity of this team.

Whatever happens, it's going to be a great time. I just hope I'll be able to find the games on somewhere in Dusseldorf!

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 04:04 PM
John Torturella

The only thing that might be somewhat scary is the first line. Other than that its 3 lines and 3 D-pairs who have never played together. Their goalie situation is shaky as well.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
otto1219

the lightning lack defensively responsible players in their lineup especially on their blue line.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
there gonna have terrible chemistry issues to start the season, they have 1 new goaltender, 8 new skaters, and a new coach.
How is this any different than what we can expect from our blueshirts.

BTW Tampa Bay's offseason? Awesome job by that franchise. The only move I really didn't like was Roberts and Melrose, but the rest were very agressive and i'm sure the fan base there is excited.

Oh and Gong, they finished dead last so there was more of a reason for them to do to thier team what they did compared to the Rangers who were 3 wins from the ECF. Plus now they have two great centers to build around for years, where is that on the Rangers? I don't think we have one player you can say we can build this team around........well except Hank.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote