HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Starting Against Tampa

Old
08-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
How is this any different than what we can expect from our blueshirts.

BTW Tampa Bay's offseason? Awesome job by that franchise. The only move I really didn't like was Roberts and Melrose, but the rest were very agressive and i'm sure the fan base there is excited.

Oh and Gong, they finished dead last so there was more of a reason for them to do to thier team what they did compared to the Rangers who were 3 wins from the ECF. Plus now they have two great centers to build around for years, where is that on the Rangers? I don't think we have one player you can say we can build this team around........well except Hank.
Staal, Zherdev, Cherepanov, Gomez, Drury....

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
the lightning lack defensively responsible players in their lineup especially on their blue line.
And how is that different that our Rangers? Who is the defensive wizard on our blueline? Redden? OMG Now that Toots is gone I would say our best defensive dman is Girardi. Thiers is Ranger. IMO Ranger > Girardi.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Staal, Zherdev, Cherepanov, Gomez, Drury....
I don't see one player you build a team around long term on there. I see a few posibilities but nothing that compares to the two names that TB has.

Old
08-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
And how is that different that our Rangers? Who is the defensive wizard on our blueline? Redden? OMG Now that Toots is gone I would say our best defensive dman is Girardi. Thiers is Ranger. IMO Ranger > Girardi.
Staal > Tampa D. Ranger isnt even a defensive defensman.

Old
08-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I don't see one player you build a team around long term on there. I see a few posibilities but nothing that compares to the two names that TB has.
well they had one of them last year and they were a SC team last year? right?

Old
08-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Radek27

Quote:
well they had one of them last year and they were a SC team last year? right?
No that was 4 years ago......not 14.

Anyway I think they did a great job retooling that team while getting a player like Stamkos and keeping thier franchise player in Vinny. I think they did very very very well for themselves.

Old
08-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Staal > Tampa D. Ranger isnt even a defensive defensman.
Right now he's not. In a few years i'm sure you will be right though.

Old
08-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
No that was 4 years ago......not 14.

Anyway I think they did a great job retooling that team while getting a player like Stamkos and keeping thier franchise player in Vinny. I think they did very very very well for themselves.
considering they lost there best dman and the only experienced player on the blueline for Matt Carle who has been on a downfall since his contract extension. plus Olaf Kolzig in net who has a bottom 5 goalie last year. yeah really retooling there team the right way....

Old
08-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Right now he's not. In a few years i'm sure you will be right though.
You said Defensivly. No one on there Blueline is even close defensivly than Staal IMO. they are all Wingers in disguise with no experience.

Old
08-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Radek27

Quote:
considering they lost there best dman and the only experienced player on the blueline for Matt Carle who has been on a downfall since his contract extension. plus Olaf Kolzig in net who has a bottom 5 goalie last year. yeah really retooling there team the right way....
Hey remember that Ranger team that came out of the lockout? They said our D was terrrible and should be dead last in the NHL. They fused as a unit and played a good team game. How was that Devils blueline last year? Or even this year yet they are still being considered for the playoffs. Point is hockey is a TEAM game. I don't think it's out of the question Tampa makes a low playoff spot this year.

Old
08-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Radek27

Quote:
And the point i'm trying to make is I like how they are trying to turn thier team around. Like Philly did the year before. I hate it when these teams get rid of all thier good players just to suck on purpose. I understand when an expansion team does this, but the Pens and Isles haven't been that in a long time. Atleast thier ownership shows a commitment to the team and trying to win.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Hey remember that Ranger team that came out of the lockout? They said our D was terrrible and should be dead last in the NHL. They fused as a unit and played a good team game. How was that Devils blueline last year? Or even this year yet they are still being considered for the playoffs. Point is hockey is a TEAM game. I don't think it's out of the question Tampa makes a low playoff spot this year.
Terrible Comparison. Rangers and Devils are defensive minded teams. Tampa is the opposite of that. our system made up for the sub-par defense same goes for the Devils. plus a little skillful goaltending(Brodeur, Lundqvist) didnt hurt.

Quote:
And the point i'm trying to make is I like how they are trying to turn thier team around. Like Philly did the year before. I hate it when these teams get rid of all thier good players just to suck on purpose. I understand when an expansion team does this, but the Pens and Isles haven't been that in a long time. Atleast thier ownership shows a commitment to the team and trying to win.
What is he trying to win? his fantasy league. You say they did good by tanking to get Stamkos, but yet they sign Recchi, Roberts, and Kolzig and Radim Vrbata.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

They added more question marks than exclamation marks, imo. As has been pointed out, how many games will they get out of Recchi, Roberts, Kolzig, and Halpern? Malone and Vrbata have been labelled underacheivers, but had career years in their contract years. Malone was party to Malkin's great season. Carle and Meszaros are their top pairing?

Sure Vinny, St Louis, and Prospal are proven and have great chemistry, but they've surrounded Stamkos with underachievers and older players to learn from.

I guess we'll wait and see, but as I said, plenty of question marks.

08-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
They added more question marks than exclamation marks, imo. As has been pointed out, how many games will they get out of Recchi, Roberts, Kolzig, and Halpern? Malone and Vrbata have been labelled underacheivers, but had career years in their contract years. Malone was party to Malkin's great season. Carle and Meszaros are their top pairing?

Sure Vinny, St Louis, and Prospal are proven and have great chemistry, but they've surrounded Stamkos with underachievers and older players to learn from.

I guess we'll wait and see, but as I said, plenty of question marks.
plus you have to take into consideration that Halpern is out for a long time now, with his injury.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:39 PM
otto1219

Quote:

being defensively responsible is not the same thing as being a defensive wizard. The fact that guys like fritzche, drury, betts, gomez, naslund, and to an extent younger guys like cally and dawes are all very responsible in the other zone. The rangers do not allow a lot of breakaways, and furthermore are defensive oriented. The lightning are non of the above. Its not a good thing when the best player on your team has 92 points and is still minus 17. Their defense is absolutely terrible. And its clear that barry melrose at coach will not change that.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote