HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago Blackhawks sign Akim Aliu to three-year contract

Old
08-27-2008, 01:47 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle31 View Post
Wow, still bitter about the Habs getting knocked out of the playoffs by the Flyers and the piece of ****, Downie. Let's face it the only people who really know what went on in the Windsor dressing room is the players and coaches. Most of the players probably sided with Downie because they looked at Aliu as this rookie who wouldn't follow the "code" when it came to team hazing rituals. These hazing rituals of putting the rookies in the bus bathroom, butt-naked has been going on for years and the rookies went along with it. Hell, Gretzky was put in a car, butt-naked with the other Soo Greyhound rookies in the Station Mall parking lot and told to find their own way home. It's part of hockey, showing team unity or bonding, the "hazing" rituals are probably not as bad now as they were in the past.

As for Aliu, some people will applaude him for standing up for himself and others will say he wasn't a team player. He had issues when he played here in Sudbury and he wasn't well liked by teammates. He has talent but it's his attitude maybe the roadblock from having a good professional career, time will tell.
i dont care what the code is, hazing rituals are the most retarded thing in the world when they involve undignified events.

I applaud Akim for standing up to himself and not doing it.

Downie cross checking him in the face because of it even further proves that Downie's the retard.

Such a shame.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 02:42 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Akim Aliu is hockey's Rosa Parks.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Flyersguru

I'll take Downie.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Akim Aliu is hockey's Rosa Parks.
I see what you did here ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
I'll take Downie.
Sure you will. Shocking.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:18 PM
AC Le Rock

I heard Downie asked McAmmond out on a date last year and he turned him down...

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Le Rock View Post
I heard Downie asked McAmmond out on a date last year and he turned him down...

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2008, 11:13 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i dont care what the code is, hazing rituals are the most retarded thing in the world when they involve undignified events.
Actually, researchers are now realizing that hazing and initiations are very necessary for teams and groups. They strip away a persons individualism to an extent by debasing or demeaning them in some way and then once they've done it, they can joing the collective.

Now obviously people can get carried away or go too far, but if the worst thing Akim had to do was stand naked in a bus bathroom with other guys, then it isn't that bad IMO.

Also, if that was the only issue with Akim, then people would not have such concerns about him. But he was far from a good teammate in Sudbury and showed he had some maturing to do.

If he can grow up and dedicate himself to being a good player and teammate, then he'll have some success at the NHL level. If not, we won't be hearing much about him a few years from now.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 08:25 AM
mintsauce

Send a message via MSN to mintsauce
How many years ago was this? Are we still talking about it?

Akim will be fine. He had a decent prospects camp and could well see a few games with the Hawks early in the season. He has a lot of potential and I'm sure he realises more than anyone that it's time to get serious about his career.

mintsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Zim

Article about Aliu's signing.

http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...vghQHKwGKt5l7w

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
dugray13

Congrats. I'm really rooting for this kid, he's just so athletic and has incredible talent.

It's too bad that an incident that wasn't his fault (getting hazed and getting cross-checked in the face by a lunatic) is still following him around. Being forced to strip naked is sexual harassment (of a minor) and if it happened in any other context than organized sports, people wouldn't be taking it so lightly. The OHL has a zero tolerance policy on hazing (which Hockey Canada backs) and Aliu was completely in the right in this case.

I hope Aliu has a good career and proves all the nay-sayers wrong.
And congrats to Chicago. They've easily become the team to watch over the next 10 years.

dugray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
Actually, researchers are now realizing that hazing and initiations are very necessary for teams and groups. They strip away a persons individualism to an extent by debasing or demeaning them in some way and then once they've done it, they can joing the collective.

Now obviously people can get carried away or go too far, but if the worst thing Akim had to do was stand naked in a bus bathroom with other guys, then it isn't that bad IMO.
I love hearing BS like this.

A friend of mine got hazed when he was in high school to get on the football team. So me and a few friends found the two guys who did it, and pretty much did the same to them. It involved a locker and being upside down. The entire time we did it, they cried and sobbed. Know why? They never wanted it done to them, they were just following "tradition". It's amazing what bad memories it brings up.

Hazing doesn't do anything but make people embarrassed about themselves. The logic of hazing for unity is like ****** a girl so she knows control. It's ridiculous. I'm not blaming you for reading a report and thinking, "Hey! That makes sense", but no hazing ritual has ever made a person a better athlete. It only makes them embarrassed about what they once had to do, and they have to carry that.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 06:49 PM
avaholic88

Flyers vs Hawks.
Hell Yeah...

avaholic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 08:23 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I love hearing BS like this.

A friend of mine got hazed when he was in high school to get on the football team. So me and a few friends found the two guys who did it, and pretty much did the same to them. It involved a locker and being upside down. The entire time we did it, they cried and sobbed. Know why? They never wanted it done to them, they were just following "tradition". It's amazing what bad memories it brings up.

Hazing doesn't do anything but make people embarrassed about themselves. The logic of hazing for unity is like ****** a girl so she knows control. It's ridiculous. I'm not blaming you for reading a report and thinking, "Hey! That makes sense", but no hazing ritual has ever made a person a better athlete. It only makes them embarrassed about what they once had to do, and they have to carry that.
Well that's a very simplistic view. Why do you think there has been initiations/hazing going on for thousands of years? Because we all just want to embarass others or make them feel less than the rest of us?

We all go through it at some point in our lives, and quite likely several times. Perhaps the initiation that Akim was subject to was over the line. But to totally dismiss hazing and initiations as serving no useful purpose at all is short-sighted.

Old
08-28-2008, 08:38 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Well that's a very simplistic view. Why do you think there has been initiations/hazing going on for thousands of years? Because we all just want to embarass others or make them feel less than the rest of us?
Yes, pretty much. Human nature can be a ***** sometimes. That's why we have moral structures, systems of laws and such so that reason and logic can overcome the basest of animal instincts. These are kids we're talking about; if they were left to their own devices, they'd probably go all "Lord of the Flies" and end up eating their weak.

I can't imagine how horrible all of this must have been for Akim. He was an outsider in every sense of the word and treated as such; I can see why he has such a persecution complex nowadays. Of course, he's going to have to overcome it if he's ever going to become an NHL regular.

I think he can do it.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2008, 10:07 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Yes, pretty much. Human nature can be a ***** sometimes. That's why we have moral structures, systems of laws and such so that reason and logic can overcome the basest of animal instincts. These are kids we're talking about; if they were left to their own devices, they'd probably go all "Lord of the Flies" and end up eating their weak.
You could very well be right. But people have survived in large part because of our compassion for others. It is our willingness to work together in groups (as well as our intelligence) that has made us so successful.

I'm getting a little off topic and I don't want to come across as condoning all hazing that goes on or even what happened to Akim. I think for a teenager who showers every day with his teammates, the nudity aspect isn't likely to be as big a deal as it would to someone who isn't in that environment.
I've stated before that I don't think he's at fault for what happened in Windsor, at least with regards to Downie. If someone cross-checked me in the mouth and knocked out my teeth, I'd probably have responded by swinging my stick back.

Old
08-29-2008, 12:49 PM
flamebird

ziggyjoe, ur pic is jokes

flamebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
We all go through it at some point in our lives, and quite likely several times. Perhaps the initiation that Akim was subject to was over the line. But to totally dismiss hazing and initiations as serving no useful purpose at all is short-sighted.
um... yea that would be the point of it...

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 01:09 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
He grew up in Ukraine and is fluent in Russian.
He was born in Nigeria too.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Saved*

From what I heard, he wasn't just expected to stand naked.. they tried to forcibly **** him with a broom handle, no?

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post
From what I heard, he wasn't just expected to stand naked.. they tried to forcibly **** him with a broom handle, no?
If I'm not mistaken, it was a threat that wasn't normally part of the hazing process, to force him to do it.

I'd have to check the chapter on Aliu in FG&H but I'm not in the mood to do so.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURAKAN View Post

Proof?...link?.....didn't think so. if true, it's over the line.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 02:47 AM
Avs9500

I just hope this kid teaches Downie a lesson.

Avs9500 is offline   Reply With Quote