HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Looking like Shanny could be moving on..

Old
08-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Looking like Shanny could be moving on..

Brooks says that the Ducks, Devils, Blues and Flyers have expressed "varying interest", and that Shanny is prepared to "investigate the opportunities."

Just his quotes, without the other speculation:
Quote:
"That would obviously be a family conversation," Shanahan told The Post

"My priority remains signing with the Rangers and finishing the job I came here to do two years ago. I've spoken with Tom [Renney] and have told him that I'm willing to accept whatever role he thinks is best for the team.

"I want to stay in New York because I believe I can contribute, but if that door closes, I'll have some other interesting options to consider."

"I don't know if everything is on hold because of Mats [Sundin]," Shanahan said. "It seems like his situation has frozen teams around the league."

"My career has taken some turns that I didn't necessarily foresee," Shanahan said. "If this doesn't work out with the Rangers, I'm confident that regardless of what happens, it will be for the best."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08312008...egy_126828.htm

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 08:04 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahan
"My priority remains signing with the Rangers and finishing the job I came here to do two years ago. I've spoken with Tom [Renney] and have told him that I'm willing to accept whatever role he thinks is best for the team.
That sounds to me like he's staying - he's begging but not choosing. What else could you ask for?

If anyone is moving on, it's the Rangers, not Shanahan.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Garv23

I may be in the minority here, but I hope he stays. The guy isn't going to outskate anyone anymore, but can still put the puck in the net and provides great leadership. With limited use, he can still be effective I think.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 08:50 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I don't remember where i read it (i think spectors) but there was a line saying Shanny was waiting on Sundin. Of course September 15th is a key date considering that is when bonuses can be put into contracts and Shanny may be waiting till then with the Rangers to help them cap wise but Shanny is going to do as much as he possibly can to stay here. He seems to love it here.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 09:03 AM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
I don't want Sundin. I want Shanny. Could you imagine our lines if we can add a presence like him on the fourth line ? Maybe Orr will get the magic touch?

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Of course September 15th is a key date considering that is when bonuses can be put into contracts and Shanny may be waiting till then with the Rangers to help them cap wise
Again, nobody but Eklund has reported that this will happen, and I don't think a single veteran player or GM is actively holding out hope that this will be the case just to be able to roll over a few million dollars to next year..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 09:16 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
I don't want Sundin. I want Shanny. Could you imagine our lines if we can add a presence like him on the fourth line ? Maybe Orr will get the magic touch?
Although he seems to imply otherwise, I doubt he will be happy on the fourth line. And if he's not on the fourth line, I don't think it will be worthwhile since he will taking a spot away from our younger players.

I'm glad that Shanny doesn't seem to be taking this personally.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I don't remember where i read it (i think spectors) but there was a line saying Shanny was waiting on Sundin. Of course September 15th is a key date considering that is when bonuses can be put into contracts and Shanny may be waiting till then with the Rangers to help them cap wise but Shanny is going to do as much as he possibly can to stay here. He seems to love it here.

september 15th is not the day bonuses can be put in contracts....that is a pure myth...bonuses can be put in now but the team has to have the cap room...that date is the day ecklund says the union will extend the cba...nobody from the union confirmed it...infact it probably is even close to being accurate..

please shanny sign with somebody else...no need to waste the roster spot on him...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 09:38 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Appears that signing Sundin a player most agree is worth 6-7 mill on the open market would force Sather to trade some quality player/s to make the room.

Sounds like Shanny is ready to accept his reduced role, perhaps along with a reduced cap friendly contract.

This is Brendan Shanahan. Perhaps he's lost a step, but Shanny is still one of the smartest guys on the ice.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Appears that signing Sundin a player most agree is worth 6-7 mill on the open market would force Sather to trade some quality player/s to make the room.

Sounds like Shanny is ready to accept his reduced role, perhaps along with a reduced cap friendly contract.

This is Brendan Shanahan. Perhaps he's lost a step, but Shanny is still one of the smartest guys on the ice.

what is "shanny"? begging for a job from a team that doesn't want him?

its time to let go...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

He didn't lose a step. He lost his feet

He doesn't fit in this system

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 10:09 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I think signing him is a risk, but I'd take that risk.

He might still produce on a power play that I'm hoping does better than last year's.

I'd put him on the PK but ONLY with less than 45 seconds left on the kill. Don't want him getting stuck out there for a minute or more if we have as much trouble clearing the puck as we did against Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

Not the end of the world (his or the Rangers) if he ends up somewhere else, though.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 10:14 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Again, nobody but Eklund has reported that this will happen, and I don't think a single veteran player or GM is actively holding out hope that this will be the case just to be able to roll over a few million dollars to next year..
GREAT! We can over pay shanny, AGAIN and harm our cap situation... AGAIN.

Why does he deserve more then $800k, yr? He's a fringe 3rd line/4th line player with leadership abilities. How much did Dave Andreychuk get from the Bolts during all those 30 point seasons? I'm betting not the $4 mill Shanny got last yr that we are STILL paying for. League minimum or GET OUT!!!!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 10:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
"My priority remains signing with the Rangers and finishing the job I came here to do two years ago. I've spoken with Tom [Renney] and have told him that I'm willing to accept whatever role he thinks is best for the team."
That role would be spectator.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:00 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
That role would be spectator.
Fire Pearn and let him coach the PP.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

This offseason, Sather made it clear that his main goal is to make this team younger and faster. Signing Shanahan would be a direct contradiction to this plan, and I dont think you'll see any type of nostalgic signing.

Shanny is a 3rd liner at best, and when it comes to forwards, thats where the glut in the organization lies. If I had any inkling that Shanahan could possible contribute as a top 6 forward, I would be all for re-signing him. This team only has 4 legitimate forwards to play on the top lines (Gomez, Naslund, Drury, Zherdev)...The additions of Dawes and probably Prucha to the top 2 lines is going to be a reach, but Id rather reach with younger players than an obviously declining veteran.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
F A L S E

08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

ok this is sad. shany having to basically say, " hey, ill take whatever i can get from you guys"..... um, not cool.

this is a hall of famer here and hes kinda groveling. i dont like it. retire already or sign with someone else who needs a past-his-prime "leader" with lead feet who will be either worn out or hurt come spring.

enough already....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:52 AM
GarretJoseph

1 year, 750K with option to be a coach in hartford the following season.

get it done.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
eco's bones

I don't blame Shanny. He loves the game. It sounds to me like he's not ready to let it go but his play is on the decline. I also think we've misused him--giving him way too much pk time over the last two seasons and it's slowed him down towards the end of the season and in the playoffs the last two seasons he's looked about as speedy as Colton Orr. I'm not really for bringing him back. Coaching maybe wouldn't be a bad thing to involve him in. If we were to bring him back--his instincts are still good but we'd really to have to limit his ice time--and a spot on the team would probably mean some young guy wouldn't make it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 12:04 PM
NYR Viper

Let Him Go!!

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
TheHotRock

please let him go.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 12:14 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This offseason, Sather made it clear that his main goal is to make this team younger and faster. Signing Shanahan would be a direct contradiction to this plan, and I dont think you'll see any type of nostalgic signing.
To be fair to Slats I think the plan changed up on him. I think he expected Jagr to be here.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 12:25 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
I want the 2 of them... not just 1.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Doyle

I'm not sure Renney as a coach really used Shanny well either.

I remember reading an article during his last year with Detroit, where he said basically that Babcock was the reason he was still scoring 40 a year. Something along the lines of Babcock didn't treat him like a HOF player and yelled at him constantly to keep moving his legs. It didn't really seem like Shanny lost a step but more was gliding a bit too much...

...and perhaps Renney gave him a bit too much respect.

(For the record I am a Renney fan, but he never seemed to get heated at his veterans/stars)

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote