HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jones in Nashville

Old
08-29-2008, 10:12 AM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Jones in Nashville

As per the Nashville website Jones is already in town skating with some of the guys like Tootoo, Bonk, Dumont etc...This should give the Preds an early look at his skills playing with pros.

Has anyone been done to the practice rink to watch him in action? Any thoughts?

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Jarnberg

I don't think this pre-camp work out stuff is a good gauge to see how he fits in on the pro level.

Training camp will be a better indicator.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Lets wait to see him at camp. There are some excellent posters around here that will have a lot of insight once training camp hits.

08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
braindead

City Paper link on the subject: http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/ne...iewStory=62435

The most interesting part to me was that Arnott's brother is Jones' agent... maybe Jason will work a little harder to find some chemistry with the new kid (or at least not call him Rudy).

It can't hurt that he is bonding with some guys but that won't get him a spot on the team. Let's see what camp brings.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 11:33 PM
OpenWheel

I'm no expert, but come on... this guy is practically guaranteed a spot on the team.

He can easily beat out our less skilled fourth liners. He's a decent third liner even as a rookie, who can step up and spell someone on Arnott's line in a pinch. I'd say Legwand's line but Erat can get those "dirty" goals, so I don't know if he'd fit there, but I'm sure he'll get some looks. Even though Erat is not flash maybe Legwand and two hardworkers could pay off. Legwand could shoot more, he needs to, and Erat and Jones could crash the net and the corners.

Anyway, he'll make the team. I don't know much, but I know that.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 09:11 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I'm no expert, but come on... this guy is practically guaranteed a spot on the team.

He can easily beat out our less skilled fourth liners. He's a decent third liner even as a rookie, who can step up and spell someone on Arnott's line in a pinch. I'd say Legwand's line but Erat can get those "dirty" goals, so I don't know if he'd fit there, but I'm sure he'll get some looks. Even though Erat is not flash maybe Legwand and two hardworkers could pay off. Legwand could shoot more, he needs to, and Erat and Jones could crash the net and the corners.

I'm not quite sure when erat became a go to the net player. Erat isnt very flashy or explosive but he is more of a permieter player and he usually looks pass first. I wouldnt say he is scared to go to the net but he doesnt make his living there. I don't think having him and jones on the same line would be a problem at all.

As far as Jones goes I'm excited to see him just like everybody else but let's wait until training camp and preseason before we start assuming he makes the team. Don't get me wrong we need a player with his style/skillset but just because he was successful in college doesnt mean he is gonna be a good nhler. His upside seems to be a bigger nastier Ryan Smyth. Let's hope he can reach it.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 10:32 AM
echlfreak

Although I would have been one of the first ones to say that we need a FA fwd, I do believe that Hornqvist and Jones will bring exactly what this team needs. Which are guys who can play infront of the net like Holmstrom and Franzen. I just hope that their games can translate to the NHL game.

parrish would still be a great guy to have on the team because it would give us a little more depth. If an injury happens to one of our top six fwd's then things get thin. I would love to see:

Dumont-Arnott-Jones
Hornqvist-Legwand-Erat
Parrish-Bonk-Fiddler....Bonk because I think he can't have back to back bad seasons.
Tootoo-Nichol-Smithson

Philstrom
Ortmeyer

Has there been no injuries or defections:

Dumont-Arnott-Sullivan
Erat-Legwand-Radulov
Hornqvist-Jones-Tootoo
Nichol-Bonk-Fiddler can you imagine those top 3 lines

Poile and the scouting staff have built an amazing team, if it were not for injuries or defections.

Old
08-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:

What you have personally seen from Jones that makes you suggest that he is GUARANTEED a spot on the team and that he'll be a decent third liner? You know for a fact that he can go from college to the NHL and easily displace NHLers?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 02:02 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
What you have personally seen from Jones that makes you suggest that he is GUARANTEED a spot on the team and that he'll be a decent third liner? You know for a fact that he can go from college to the NHL and easily displace NHLers?
Haha. Nothing at all except some video highlight from a ways back.

My comments were just a "few beers in me" post.

I've just felt for some time that if the Preds feel they need a power forward type this guy must be better than several on the squad I'm not so high on. Plus Poile's comments have been positive towards this guy.

Just say I'll be very very surprised if Jones does not make the team.

Old
08-30-2008, 02:06 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I'm not quite sure when erat became a go to the net player. Erat isnt very flashy or explosive but he is more of a permieter player and he usually looks pass first. I wouldnt say he is scared to go to the net but he doesnt make his living there. I don't think having him and jones on the same line would be a problem at all.

As far as Jones goes I'm excited to see him just like everybody else but let's wait until training camp and preseason before we start assuming he makes the team. Don't get me wrong we need a player with his style/skillset but just because he was successful in college doesnt mean he is gonna be a good nhler. His upside seems to be a bigger nastier Ryan Smyth. Let's hope he can reach it.
Yeah. That's all true. I just have heard so much about someone like Hornqvist filling out that line that I figured they somehow wanted someone with more flash. I don't know much about Hornqvist, I hear he also makes hay with hardworking goals, but I thought I also heard he has a bit more speed and skill then Jones. Maybe not.

I also think Erat gets knocked too much for not crashing the net or digging in the corners, when I think he very much does those things, although he does play the perimeter.

My thinking was more about whether they wanted that line to have more speed, or did they want it to have more strenght, and I was guessing they wanted a skill line.

I actually do think he'd fit there, but as I said, I wouldn't expect Jones to really be top two lines, more like fourth, and sometime third. But somehow I could see a dirty goal net crasher fitting in with Arnott's line and that he could do that in a pinch.

Anyway, I was being a bit flip after a few beers when I said gauranteed. But I honestly do feel he's going to make the squad.

Old
08-30-2008, 06:21 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Haha. Nothing at all except some video highlight from a ways back.

My comments were just a "few beers in me" post.

I've just felt for some time that if the Preds feel they need a power forward type this guy must be better than several on the squad I'm not so high on. Plus Poile's comments have been positive towards this guy.

Just say I'll be very very surprised if Jones does not make the team.
He's also living with the Arnotts and making public appearances on behalf of the Predators. Generally a non-roster player doesn't do those kinds of things.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 04:11 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
during the WC's there was numerous statements made by TSN on how Trotz was excited for Pihlstrom to get on a line with Tootoo and Nichol. agitator/hustle mania. take that for what its worth but maybe both he and Jones make the squad.
maybe something like:

Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
Jones - Legwand - Erat
Fiddler - Bonk - Parrish (if signed)
Pihlstrom - Nichol - Tootoo

looks pretty solid to me.
what is the word on Hornqvist coming over?

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 07:30 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Sullivan won't be playing this year so put Hornqvist in his place.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 10:42 AM
echlfreak

With all the players on one-way contracts I don't see Peverley or Philstrom making the team out of camp. Although the line of Philstrom-Nichol-Tootoo would be great to watch from a physical stand point Philstrom would take a roster spot of either Smithson, Ortmeyer, Grattoon two of which are already on one-ways.

Adding Jones and Hornqvist is enough for inexperienced players, then if injuries take place Philstrom, Peverley, Geofferion, Santorelli, O' Reilly etc can be called up and get their opportunity later in the season.

There is no way DP sends a one-way contract down to the minors

Old
08-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
With all the players on one-way contracts I don't see Peverley or Philstrom making the team out of camp. Although the line of Philstrom-Nichol-Tootoo would be great to watch from a physical stand point Philstrom would take a roster spot of either Smithson, Ortmeyer, Grattoon two of which are already on one-ways.

Adding Jones and Hornqvist is enough for inexperienced players, then if injuries take place Philstrom, Peverley, Geofferion, Santorelli, O' Reilly etc can be called up and get their opportunity later in the season.

Geoffrion is still in college at Wisconsin.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 12:15 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post

We only have 10 one-way contracts at forward, so there's no reason for him to send a one-way guy to the minors.

I suspect we send Pihlström back to the minors for one more year because he would get way more ice time in Milwaukee than he would here. We need a forward who can contribute but also wouldn't be negatively affected by rotating out with Gratton, the presumptive enforcer, and occasionally Ortmeyer.

Our lines are going to look something like this coming out of camp barring any major surprises:

Dumont-Arnott-Jones/Hörnqvist
Erat-Legwand-Jones/Hörnqvist
Fiddler-Bonk-Smithson
Peverley-Nichol-Tootoo
Ortmeyer, Gratton

We can rotate Peverley, Ortmeyer, and Gratton on a nightly basis based on what we need more of in the lineup, just like with Koistinen and Zanon on defense. Peverley gives the 4th line more of an offensive slant, Ortmeyer gives us an extra defensive line, and Gratton makes it more of a general mayhem and tomfoolery-type line.

Of course, if we sign Parrish, that changes things, and we probably end up sending Peverley back to Miluwakee (I highly doubt a team would claim him off waivers) with the team looking like this:

Dumont-Arnott-Jones/Hörnqvist
Erat-Legwand-Jones/Hörnqvist
Fiddler-Bonk-Parrish (most likely)
Smithson-Nichol-Tootoo
Ortmeyer, Gratton

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 08-31-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old
08-31-2008, 12:49 PM
echlfreak

agreed...the addition of Parrish along with the kids would make for a great team to start the season

Old
08-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
What if we trade for Jokinen, would he replace Parrish if we don't sign him?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
What if we trade for Jokinen, would he replace Parrish if we don't sign him?
Presumably, but I doubt we make any more trades/signings. We're going to put our stock in the youngsters and if they don't work out and don't show any signs of being quality players, then we explore free agency to a greater extent.

Now, we could always invite Parrish and/or Murray to camp and see if they can play well enough to warrant an SPC, but I really think we're going with the youth movement this year. We may suck, but I'd rather suck with a bunch of younger players in the lineup who are learning the ropes than a bunch of older veterans who turn out to be a waste of cash. That's what got Toronto into their current condition.

Old
08-31-2008, 09:49 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Presumably, but I doubt we make any more trades/signings. We're going to put our stock in the youngsters and if they don't work out and don't show any signs of being quality players, then we explore free agency to a greater extent.

Now, we could always invite Parrish and/or Murray to camp and see if they can play well enough to warrant an SPC, but I really think we're going with the youth movement this year. We may suck, but I'd rather suck with a bunch of younger players in the lineup who are learning the ropes than a bunch of older veterans who turn out to be a waste of cash. That's what got Toronto into their current condition.
Personally I think it would be stupid for Poile to just go with the youngsters this year. I wouldnt have a problem with it if this organization was firmly planted in nashville but I don't think we can afford a rebuild, which is basically what this season would be. jokien isnt amazing but he's still young and could probaly be had for cheap. Plus if we decide he didnt work out we can let him walk after this season. I don't see the risk there. I do however think if we were to sign Parrish/Murray it would have to be a 1 year deal

Old
08-31-2008, 11:46 PM
echlfreak

If we just go with the youngsters then we facce a huge problem when the injury bug rears its ugly face. This team lacked the scoring depth last year even with Radulov and Hlavac.

Two problems with not signing a veteran scorer:

a) If Jones and Hornqvist turn out to be below the hype then we are WAY behind last seasons depth.

b) If the above happens and one of our top 4 forwards in Arnott, Dumont, Legwand or Erat get injured and these youngsters are brutal then we are dead!!!

Signing a veteran like Murray/Parrish or trading for a Knuble on a one year basis offers nothing but stability and depth. It takes the pressure off these young guys to come in and be saving graces. If they can handle the job great then you put them on the top two lines. But, if they struggle you let them find their games on lower lines while a Parrish/Murray/Knuble provide the DEPTH to cover for the lack of instant progress.

Worstfaceoff you LOVE the young guys which we all do. BUT BUT BUT if they don't pan out the way you are anticipating then this fragile city can not afford to sit and rebuild for another two years. unless you want to be cheering for the Kansas City Predators? They need to build on the progress and success of last season. Signing one of the three mentioned above affords the team some ability to grow with less risk. Parrish and Murray could likely be signed for 1-1.5M for one season where they know they will get opportunity on to play on top lines and top pp units. It's not about taking away opportunity from the young guys, but more about protecting the team against undo growth pains.

On a separate note, although Radulov does not want to return to Nashville he may still want to play in the NHL and it is worth talking a trade with him. He would yield a decent return. Most players during UFA use Russia as a bargaining chip to get more cash and usually sign in the NHL, but Rad has found a loop hole where he was actually able to sign during his contract. It may just be posturing to a new level?

Old
09-01-2008, 12:31 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Personally I think it would be stupid for Poile to just go with the youngsters this year. I wouldnt have a problem with it if this organization was firmly planted in nashville but I don't think we can afford a rebuild, which is basically what this season would be. jokien isnt amazing but he's still young and could probaly be had for cheap. Plus if we decide he didnt work out we can let him walk after this season. I don't see the risk there. I do however think if we were to sign Parrish/Murray it would have to be a 1 year deal
While I'm sure Poile has a great deal of respect for the city and the fans, he's trying to build this team into a long-term winner whether it's in Nashville, Kansas City or Rio de Janeiro. If he feels that it's best for the long-term health of the on-ice aspect of the organization to go with the kids, then that's what we're doing. Lang and Freeman worry about marketing and the economic viability of the franchise. Poile's job is to manage ice-level personnel and turn this team into a winner, so whether they play in front of a capacity crowd or just the custodial staff doesn't make a huge difference to him as a GM.

Old
09-01-2008, 12:48 AM
BlueJackets39

Send a message via AIM to BlueJackets39
Ryan Jones is one hell of a hockey player. I've watched him for the past four years, in college at Miami University. He's hard nosed, and makes his living in front of the net. The guy is a great leader too. He was our captain for two years and grew his hair long last season to donate to Locks for Love. The guy is a true leader on and off the ice.

(Picture of Jones last season)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gXy_csQIhZ...h/Jonesy13.jpg

It was bittersweet to see him traded to Nashville (Blue Jackets fan .) One one hand...it's the rivalry...Nashville, on one hand, I want to see the guy make it in the NHL and I believe Nashville is the place. He seems like a natural fit.

I'll be excited to follow Jones this season. I'm not opposed to cheering the Preds on now!

Last edited by BlueJackets39: 09-01-2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: left out a word
BlueJackets39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 11:08 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
While I'm sure Poile has a great deal of respect for the city and the fans, he's trying to build this team into a long-term winner whether it's in Nashville, Kansas City or Rio de Janeiro. If he feels that it's best for the long-term health of the on-ice aspect of the organization to go with the kids, then that's what we're doing. Lang and Freeman worry about marketing and the economic viability of the franchise. Poile's job is to manage ice-level personnel and turn this team into a winner, so whether they play in front of a capacity crowd or just the custodial staff doesn't make a huge difference to him as a GM.

That sounds good in theory however this is a unique situation. I would be shocked when Freeman kept Poile around if they didnt have a convo about this very subject. I doubt the convo went with Poile saying he would build the team the way he sees fit and not be on any timeline. Pretty sure Freeman and Co. didnt buy this team just to see it rebuild for a few years and the lose it. Also look at this from Poile's perspective, he knows as long as this franchise is in Nashville with these current owners he is almost guarnteed a job. However if this franchise leaves.... ehhh not so much

Old
09-01-2008, 11:50 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJHawks27 View Post
Ryan Jones is one hell of a hockey player. I've watched him for the past four years, in college at Miami University. He's hard nosed, and makes his living in front of the net. The guy is a great leader too. He was our captain for two years and grew his hair long last season to donate to Locks for Love. The guy is a true leader on and off the ice.

(Picture of Jones last season)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gXy_csQIhZ...h/Jonesy13.jpg

It was bittersweet to see him traded to Nashville (Blue Jackets fan .) One one hand...it's the rivalry...Nashville, on one hand, I want to see the guy make it in the NHL and I believe Nashville is the place. He seems like a natural fit.

I'll be excited to follow Jones this season. I'm not opposed to cheering the Preds on now!

Well this is a good chance to get an opioion from someone who has actually watched him. What do you think his potential is? Top 6 forward? Bottom six forward? Tomas Holmstrom type player?