HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Looking like Shanny could be moving on..

Old
09-01-2008, 02:26 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
SOS we already had this discussion

plus is wasnt in Brooks' article that he said he'd take a paycut, plus it was direct quotes. and if i forget salary for a minute i'd want to sign Sundin, Selanne, and Forsberg. but you have to think Salary.

Gong,

I must have missed the direct quotes from Shanny....can you provide a link of some kind?

Also.....

I'll re-phrase the question for you...If the Rangers sign Shanny for $1M bucks a year who gets bumped off the roster?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Gong,

I must have missed the direct quotes from Shanny....can you provide a link of some kind?

Also.....

I'll re-phrase the question for you...If the Rangers sign Shanny for $1M bucks a year who gets bumped off the roster?
its in the PP thread. im too lazy to copy and paste. ill do it tommorrow.

But Shanny for 1 mil. id bumb Rissmiller down to Hartford. I know that we just signed him, but its not like the guy is some great player, or physical presence. just my $0.02

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 02:33 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
its in the PP thread. im too lazy to copy and paste. ill do it tommorrow.

But Shanny for 1 mil. id bumb Rissmiller down to Hartford. I know that we just signed him, but its not like the guy is some great player, or physical presence. just my $0.02
If the Rangers were going to bump Rissmiller to the minors for Shanny, why wouldn't they have just signed Shanny instead of Rissmiller two months ago?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Sturm und Drang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
You gotta stop with this already. Sundin and Shanny aren't even on the same tier of hockey player. Plus Shanny ***** us for 4 mil last year. I swear I had no idea thats how much he was paid.
I don't understand why you'd say he screwed us last year - he was 4th on the team in points and 3rd in goals. Who on the Rangers roster do you want on the 2nd line ahead of Shanahan? Who is going to outproduce him? We lost two of our top 5 in scoring (Jagr, Straka), and picked up two top 6 forwards (Naslund, Zherdev). Why wouldn't we want to re-sign 23 goals and 23 assists? Explain how those are the numbers of a washed-up 4th liner.

Sturm und Drang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If the Rangers were going to bump Rissmiller to the minors for Shanny, why wouldn't they have just signed Shanny instead of Rissmiller two months ago?
good question, but maybe because Shanahan is getting aintsy about wanting to play, and is lowering his asking price?

Honestly i hate all of this drama. i wish the team was set in stone already.

Old
09-01-2008, 02:59 AM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturm und Drang View Post
I don't understand why you'd say he screwed us last year - he was 4th on the team in points and 3rd in goals. Who on the Rangers roster do you want on the 2nd line ahead of Shanahan? Who is going to outproduce him? We lost two of our top 5 in scoring (Jagr, Straka), and picked up two top 6 forwards (Naslund, Zherdev). Why wouldn't we want to re-sign 23 goals and 23 assists? Explain how those are the numbers of a washed-up 4th liner.
just watch any replay of any game......and youll see a washed up hof trying to keep a spot from a number of players......

the production will get replaced.......the man is so slow its sad watching him be a shell of his former self out there

please.....do not resign shanny....i love the guy ....really do....but he does not fit in with this system at all......

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
just watch any replay of any game......and youll see a washed up hof trying to keep a spot from a number of players......

the production will get replaced.......the man is so slow its sad watching him be a shell of his former self out there

please.....do not resign shanny....i love the guy ....really do....but he does not fit in with this system at all......
this about sums it up.

like someone said already, Slats' plan (he says) was to get younger and faster, and signing Shanahan would essentially negate the work done in the first week of July. He's the direct opposite of "younger and faster". To me, it would show that management is afraid, afraid of taking the full step forward that they've so desperately tried to sell us fans, following the departure of Jagr. It would show a fear of handing the team over the newer generation of Rangers, specifically Gomez & Drury, who were brought in to lead.

As I've said before, if you're going to try to take a step forward, don't do it an a half-assed way. Don't take a hesistant, half-step, take the full step or don't take it at all.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I don't remember where i read it (i think spectors) but there was a line saying Shanny was waiting on Sundin. Of course September 15th is a key date considering that is when bonuses can be put into contracts and Shanny may be waiting till then with the Rangers to help them cap wise but Shanny is going to do as much as he possibly can to stay here. He seems to love it here.
People, Shanahan cannot get another bonus-laden contract under the current CBA, ever. Forget about whether the PA exercises their option or not, that has nothing to do with Shanny's situation.

The CBA stipulates that any given player is only eligible for a single bonus-laden contract where the bonuses defer to the following season. Now that Shanahan had his last year, he can't have another, not unless he's still playing when a new CBA is written.

Old
09-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
First saying he was 4th on the team in points isn't saying much, the whole team struggled last season to score. Also you don't think he blocked anyone last year at 4 mil? Petr Prucha says hi. No Shanny Petr atleast gets a shot to do something last year, not be in the press box. Lauri Korpikoski is a LW who we drafted in the first round and spent time developing. When does he get a shot? Doesn't Shanny block him too? Another younger homegrown talent. The whole thing we are supposed to be doing in this new NHL. Shanny will play elsewhere..........my bet is the Blues.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Turambar

Quote:
Also you don't think he blocked anyone last year at 4 mil?
FYI, his salary last season was $5.3 million ($2.5mil base salary, $2.8mil in bonuses).

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=NYR&season=0708

Old
09-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Sturm und Drang

Quote:
First saying he was 4th on the team in points isn't saying much, the whole team struggled last season to score.
The team struggling to score is exactly why I don't want to lose a proven goal scorer, even if he is 40. The man can still shoot. I know we signed some new offensive talent this year, but we also lost some so I see no guarantee that goals are not still going to be at a premium on this team next year.

Quote:
Also you don't think he blocked anyone last year at 4 mil? Petr Prucha says hi. No Shanny Petr atleast gets a shot to do something last year, not be in the press box. Lauri Korpikoski is a LW who we drafted in the first round and spent time developing. When does he get a shot? Doesn't Shanny block him too? Another younger homegrown talent. The whole thing we are supposed to be doing in this new NHL. Shanny will play elsewhere..........my bet is the Blues.
His point total in his "terrible" season last year was about equal to Prucha's career best season a couple years ago (47 points). Prucha's obviously much younger and has more years ahead of him, but he's not exactly a hot young prospect at 26. I really have only seen Korpikoski in that one playoff game, so I won't try to evaluate him (he obviously looked good scoring...).

I just don't see anyone on this roster I'd really rather see on the right wing on the power play, or really on the 2nd line at even strength (at least to start the year). You want Prucha as a 2nd liner, or Callahan? It wouldn't be terrible, but if we can have Shanahan for a good price I'd like to have him. If it takes another 5 million it may not make sense. I guess I feel like with some of the wholesale roster changes we've been making I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of continuity and proven success with the Rangers come back in the form of Shanahan.

Sturm und Drang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
The team struggling to score is exactly why I don't want to lose a proven goal scorer, even if he is 40. The man can still shoot. I know we signed some new offensive talent this year, but we also lost some so I see no guarantee that goals are not still going to be at a premium on this team next year.

His point total in his "terrible" season last year was about equal to Prucha's career best season a couple years ago (47 points). Prucha's obviously much younger and has more years ahead of him, but he's not exactly a hot young prospect at 26. I really have only seen Korpikoski in that one playoff game, so I won't try to evaluate him (he obviously looked good scoring...).

I just don't see anyone on this roster I'd really rather see on the right wing on the power play, or really on the 2nd line at even strength (at least to start the year). You want Prucha as a 2nd liner, or Callahan? It wouldn't be terrible, but if we can have Shanahan for a good price I'd like to have him. If it takes another 5 million it may not make sense. I guess I feel like with some of the wholesale roster changes we've been making I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of continuity and proven success with the Rangers come back in the form of Shanahan.
the continuity you seek is in goal........not in a 40 yr old mans legs

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Richie Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
I don't want Sundin. I want Shanny. Could you imagine our lines if we can add a presence like him on the fourth line ? Maybe Orr will get the magic touch?
He would not play on the fourth line. For as much as I respect Shanny I think putting someone like him on the fourth line would only cause problems.

Richie Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Turambar

Quote:
If it takes another 5 million it may not make sense.
May not?

Are you actually saying you'd entertain the idea of paying Shanahan in the $5M range to play for the Rangers this year? So you'd actually entertain clearing cap space to sign Shanahan?

Old
09-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Statistics can be deceptive. Shanahan scored 8 goals and 7 assists after Jan 5 last season. Yes, he produced early in the season both years on the Rangers, but each time worn down (even before getting hurt) and didn't produce later in the year and during the playoffs. And if he gets less quality time (as he should if he's playing on one of the lower lines), Shanahan will probably be even less productive. The game is getting faster and Shanahan can't keep up anymore. All he'd do is slow down the line he's on and that's counterproductive, given the players already on the roster and the gameplan Renney has. It's time to move on.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 11:54 PM
tdawg56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

100% correct, see you later lets move on this guy is done.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 12:49 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Statistics can be deceptive. Shanahan scored 8 goals and 7 assists after Jan 5 last season. Yes, he produced early in the season both years on the Rangers, but each time worn down (even before getting hurt) and didn't produce later in the year and during the playoffs. And if he gets less quality time (as he should if he's playing on one of the lower lines), Shanahan will probably be even less productive. The game is getting faster and Shanahan can't keep up anymore. All he'd do is slow down the line he's on and that's counterproductive, given the players already on the roster and the gameplan Renney has. It's time to move on.
i agree with this but here is the thing though.. shanny has never played on a third line and played 10 to 12 minutes a game night in and night out.. in that role he might be able to sustain his legs longer throughout the season because he owuldnt be overly worked.. if he were to accept something like nedved is doing that would be ideal and we could see what he would be like in that role during the preseason but it will never happen

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
i agree with this but here is the thing though.. shanny has never played on a third line and played 10 to 12 minutes a game night in and night out.. in that role he might be able to sustain his legs longer throughout the season because he owuldnt be overly worked.. if he were to accept something like nedved is doing that would be ideal and we could see what he would be like in that role during the preseason but it will never happen
If the coaching staff does successfully cut back his ice time--something that is debateable in its own right given that they were unable or unwilling to make him sit when it was clear he was injuried this year--then the question becomes if Shanahan will be able to produce with less ice time and less gifted linemates. That's something no one has any way of knowing, until or unless it actually happens.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 01:14 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

How could anyone prefer to sign Shanahan over Sundin?

Look, I love Shanny, but he's done. He was a detriment much of the time last season. He's slow and his shot is not what it once was. It's still not bad, but he doesn't mesh with the game Renney seems to want to play. He'd be a low cog on this roster, and I'd rather give that fourth line spot to a Dane Byers or Greg Moore, because its gotta be put up or shut up time with some of these punks from hartford already. You gotta test them out already.

Sundin would be the team's best player not named Lundqvist. Sundin would easily be the team's biggest offensive threat and focal point on offense.

No comparison.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
How could anyone prefer to sign Shanahan over Sundin?
It's not a matter of either/or.

If Sather and Jagr could have each compromised on the terms of a new contract, it changes the whole summer. With Jagr in the lineup, it's easy to rationalize Sundin. Without acquiring Voros/Rissmiller/Naslund/Zherdev/Fritsche, you can make a case for "sticking with the old guard" and finding roles for Shanny and Straka somewhere. The reality is, it's not the case. You can argue all day about whether or not you think either is better than someone that's already on the roster, it doesn't matter. This Ranger team doesn't have any use for Shanahan or Sundin at this point.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It's not a matter of either/or.

If Sather and Jagr could have each compromised on the terms of a new contract, it changes the whole summer. With Jagr in the lineup, it's easy to rationalize Sundin. Without acquiring Voros/Rissmiller/Naslund/Zherdev/Fritsche, you can make a case for "sticking with the old guard" and finding roles for Shanny and Straka somewhere. The reality is, it's not the case. You can argue all day about whether or not you think either is better than someone that's already on the roster, it doesn't matter. This Ranger team doesn't have any use for Shanahan or Sundin at this point.
We don't need Sundin? Considering he scored more than anyone on this team last year and would be a large physical presence on a small/soft team. Any team could use a Mats Sundin.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
We don't need Sundin?
The point is, like Shanny, the team has already committed to a different direction. I'm sure BOTH could bring something to the team that it doesn't currently have, it's just not the route they're going.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
We don't need Sundin? Considering he scored more than anyone on this team last year and would be a large physical presence on a small/soft team. Any team could use a Mats Sundin.
lets look at our NHL Ready Center depth.

Gomez
Drury
Dubinsky
Betts
Anisimov
Korpedo*

Old
09-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
lets look at our NHL Ready Center depth.

Gomez
Drury
Dubinsky
Betts
Anisimov
Korpedo*
now look at the winger depth and tell me that's not too thin, and could use Drury

Old
09-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
now look at the winger depth and tell me that's not too thin, and could use Drury
that is true, but i'd rather get a natural winger, than sign Sundin and trade Rozsival which would hurt our Defense immensly.