HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hockey magazine Hab projections 2009, including 2008 in retrospect

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2008, 10:21 PM
  #1
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,854
vCash: 500
Hockey magazine Hab projections 2009, including 2008 in retrospect

NHL Yearbook

2008- 4th NE, 11th EC FAIL
2009- 1st NE, 1st EC

The Hockey News Yearbook

2008- 13th EC FAIL
2009- 1st EC

The Score- Sports Forecaster

2008- 13th EC FAIL
2009- 4th EC

Hockey, the Magazine-Pooler's Guide

2008- 11th EC FAIL
2009- 2nd EC

Mckeen's Hockey Pool Yearbook

2008- 4th NE FAIL
2009- *Still waiting on this edition*

I swear to God, TSN's wheel spinning monkey(I think it's name is Maggie?) would have outdone all of these experts last year.

I believe the reason the Habs finished so well last year was due to 2 reasons. #1- Alex Kovalev. #2- Carey Price, Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Ryan O'Byrne far outdoing the wildest projections.

I have to agree with this year's Habs projections. Book em.

PS: Carey Price is on the cover of the NHL Yearbook and The Hockey News Yearbook. Every mag speaks in glowing terms of his performance last year and his projection for this year.


Last edited by ToysInTheAttic: 09-01-2008 at 06:39 PM.
ToysInTheAttic is offline  
Old
08-30-2008, 10:23 PM
  #2
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Things look good this year I must say...but I have learned from season's past all it takes is a key injury or two, a sophomore jinx to hit Price and we could tumble

GNick42 is offline  
Old
08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
  #3
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
PS: Carey Price is on the cover of the NHL Yearbook and The Hockey News Yearbook. Every mag speaks in glowing terms of his performance last year and his projection for this year.
Every magazine speaks highly of Halak too..

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
08-30-2008, 10:50 PM
  #4
ti-vite
Registered User
 
ti-vite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Things look good this year I must say...but I have learned from season's past all it takes is a key injury or two, a sophomore jinx to hit Price and we could tumble
The lack of injury last season did help alot, hopefully it continues...

ti-vite is offline  
Old
08-30-2008, 11:01 PM
  #5
Habitant#1
Registered User
 
Habitant#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
I believe the reason the Habs finished so well last year was due to 2 reasons. #1- Alex Kovalev. #2- Carey Price, Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Ryan O'Byrne far outdoing the wildest projections.
While I agree that Sergei and O'Byrne did exceed expectations, I'd list Huet and Hamrlik's strong and consistant play ahead in terms of impact.

Habitant#1 is online now  
Old
08-30-2008, 11:02 PM
  #6
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Well what do you expect? Unproven young players, a ****** Kovalev, suspect defence. Of course they would have ranked the Habs that low.

le_sean is offline  
Old
08-30-2008, 11:15 PM
  #7
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,382
vCash: 500
Carey Price became very underrated (at least here on hfboards) because of his bad playoff performance. During the regular season he was awesome and one of the best goalie in the league.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline  
Old
08-30-2008, 11:17 PM
  #8
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Carey Price became very underrated (at least here on hfboards) because of his bad playoff performance. During the regular season he was awesome and one of the best goalie in the league.
It';s funny because if not for Price, we wouldn't have had a second round for him to be bad in.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM
  #9
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,247
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well what do you expect? Unproven young players, a ****** Kovalev, suspect defence. Of course they would have ranked the Habs that low.
Yes, but in 06-07, the team missed the playoffs by one point, and then improved in the off-season and everyone thought they'd finish horribly. People weren't upset that the magazines didn't predict a NE division title, but the fact that every publication thought the Canadiens would finish way lower than the previous season.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
08-30-2008, 11:28 PM
  #10
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Yes, but in 06-07, the team missed the playoffs by one point, and then improved in the off-season and everyone thought they'd finish horribly. People weren't upset that the magazines didn't predict a NE division title, but the fact that every publication thought the Canadiens would finish way lower than the previous season.
I think what experts thought was that the loss of Souray would make our PP (our only offense that year) greatly suffer. Add to that the loss of veterans like Bonk and Johnson and replacing them by basically rookies was the reason. However, most of us here didn't think our PP would suffer and the addition of Hamrlik would stabilize our defense. The only wild card was the young players and they delivered.

HH is offline  
Old
08-30-2008, 11:44 PM
  #11
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
There were a whole bunch of reasons we had such a good year last year, IMO the big three being our health, Kovalev, and Price. Also, after years of complaining from me and several others around here, the Habs actually started playing to their strengths (Not that we had anything to do with it). When your forward lines contain names like Kovalev, Koivu, Kostitsyn x2, Plekanec, Higgins etc... why in the world would you have them play a conservative, sit-back-and-let-the-other-team-make-mistakes type of game? I thought this really hurt us in 06-07, we let other teams gain our blueline so easily it was almost comical. We finally started being a little more aggressive and playing a puck moving, puck control type game.

I can't predict 1st or 2nd, who knows what can happen. But looking around the rest of the Eastern Conference, no team really scares me all that much. We actually ended the curse of Brodeur, showed the Rangers no lead is safe, swept the Flyers and had a split with the Pens.

We could definitely be right back where we finished last year, but I just want to see the team play consistently and show up every night.

Ross MacLochness is offline  
Old
08-31-2008, 07:48 AM
  #12
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,247
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
While I agree that Sergei and O'Byrne did exceed expectations, I'd list Huet and Hamrlik's strong and consistant play ahead in terms of impact.
Hamrlik <3

He doesn't get enough love on these boards.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
08-31-2008, 08:22 AM
  #13
Kikizaz
Registered User
 
Kikizaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Hamrlik <3

He doesn't get enough love on these boards.
Neither does my man, CH. <----- i heart his initials.


Christobal Huet!

Kikizaz is offline  
Old
08-31-2008, 08:32 AM
  #14
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,247
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Neither does my man, CH. <----- i heart his initials.


Christobal Huet!
never heard of him.

Le Tricolore is offline  
Old
08-31-2008, 08:46 AM
  #15
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,125
vCash: 500
I'll go along with the commes except that Ryan O'Byrne's role was a bit exaggerated. However, I have high hopes for him and I expect him to become a real force in 2008-09. Good pick, Timmins.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
08-31-2008, 08:49 AM
  #16
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,434
vCash: 500
I wanted to buy a couple of these magazines but I really don't want to look at the Toskala cover's

YMCMBeaulieu is offline  
Old
09-01-2008, 08:03 AM
  #17
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Every magazine speaks highly of Halak too..

AD is offline  
Old
09-01-2008, 04:36 PM
  #18
King Kovalev
Registered User
 
King Kovalev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Poland
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Just bought an issue of Hockey Le Magazine today. Can somebody please explain something to me? Why do year after year people always seem to put SJ in the SCF when year after year they always disappoint.

Its the first time I buy this magazine and Ive got to say its pretty good overall, I like it better than THN

King Kovalev is offline  
Old
09-01-2008, 05:49 PM
  #19
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
The Score- Sports Forecaster

2008- 13th EC FAIL
2009- 2nd EC
Weird. The Habs were placed 4th in The Score mag I got.

Rayne* is offline  
Old
09-01-2008, 06:40 PM
  #20
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Weird. The Habs were placed 4th in The Score mag I got.
Yes, you're right. I've changed it.

ToysInTheAttic is offline  
Old
09-01-2008, 07:38 PM
  #21
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post

I swear to God, TSN's wheel spinning monkey(I think it's name is Maggie?) would have outdone all of these experts last year.

I believe the reason the Habs finished so well last year was due to 2 reasons. #1- Alex Kovalev. #2- Carey Price, Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn, and Ryan O'Byrne far outdoing the wildest projections.
In all honesty, not too many people would have predicted the Habs to finish far from these ''experts'' predictions last season.
Okay, maybe not 11th or 13th but pretty much everybody assumed they'd be fighting for the 8th seed.
So let's not be overly critical.

And the number one reason we finished first last year is our lack of injured players. Other than O'Byrne that fractured his thumb, who missed that many games during the season??..We got pretty lucky with that.
Kovalev is obviously the other main reason, who led the #1 PP team.

You also forget to mention Plekanec-Streit-Hamrlik-Jorges exceeded their expectations a lot.

We're coming in with a great team again, but everything has to go our way again if we want to be top seed again.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
09-01-2008, 07:41 PM
  #22
Nails Jenkins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
PS: Carey Price is on the cover of the NHL Yearbook and The Hockey News Yearbook.
These magazines issue different covers for different regions. Price is on the Quebec cover, not across North America.

Nails Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
  #23
ToysInTheAttic
Registered User
 
ToysInTheAttic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesomma View Post
These magazines issue different covers for different regions. Price is on the Quebec cover, not across North America.
He is on both covers in New Brunswick.

ToysInTheAttic is offline  
Old
09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
  #24
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,108
vCash: 50
Mckeens had the Habs in the playoffs last season.

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
09-02-2008, 09:23 AM
  #25
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,124
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Carey Price became very underrated (at least here on hfboards) because of his bad playoff performance. During the regular season he was awesome and one of the best goalie in the league.
It does seem like a strange thing to say but you are right. His numbers and his performance down the stretch were amongst the top in the league.

Tuggy is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.