HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Gaborik goal total betting poll

View Poll Results: How many goals will Gaborik score next season?
5-10 5 4.90%
10-15 1 0.98%
15-20 8 7.84%
20-25 8 7.84%
25-30 20 19.61%
30-35 34 33.33%
35+ 26 25.49%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Gaborik10

vCash: 500
I do, if he can just stay consistent throughout the year. I don't know about thestonedkoala though. He's got more than enough talent to crack 40, and seeing as this will be his fifth year, it's time to show that he's got the right amount of gray matter to make this work. The key for him in his career now is to get it all together, and make something happen on a consistent basis. If he can do that, put him on a line with some guys that can actually keep up with him, and I think he'll be able to crack 40.

Last edited by Gaborik10: 05-18-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old
05-18-2004, 04:59 PM
jiggs 10

Gabby has already scored 30 a few times...without any linemates who could put the puck in the ocean! If he were put on a line with someone quick and shifty like him, he should easily get 33 or 34. If he and Park and maybe Bouchard were on a line, they would be able to fly around everyone, as all 3 are burners, and Park is turning into a pretty good scorer. With a great passer on his line, Gaborik could hit 40...IF he stays confident, and ends the long goal-less streaks. Dare to dream...

Old
05-18-2004, 05:21 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
Gabby has already scored 30 a few times...without any linemates who could put the puck in the ocean! If he were put on a line with someone quick and shifty like him, he should easily get 33 or 34.
I think this is the year DR has to consider bringing someone in to make plays on Gabby's line. Someone who is proven. Someone who has played with players like Gaborik. Someone who has, dare I say, 1st line potential. Someone who isn't just a reclamation project, but someone who will impact Marian's play. Wes Walz is nice, but really nothing more than a top notch checking center IMO. PMB can't handle going up agains't top d pairings. Burns has the size, but that's it, for now. Who knows about O'Sully or Mikko...I like the idea of what they could do for Marian, but they are still too young or unproven at this stage.

It may seem like a tall order, but with all the cost cutting this, and CBA that, I have a feeling there will be some good, proven talent available. We have the money and potential cap space...now is the time to use it.

A good FA could = 35-40 goals for Gabby IMO.

Old
05-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Gaborik10

Yeah.

Old
05-18-2004, 10:01 PM
DW

Park, Gaborik, and Bouchard????? Wholly cow, not good...not good at all. Gaborik, Bouchard and a guy thats not afraid to throw his weight around and an elbow or too alsois a little better. Leave Park on the checking line where he belongs. Park will score 30 pts on the 1st line and 30 pts on the 3rd line....like the work ethic but that kind of skill is not there.

Old
05-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
Park, Gaborik, and Bouchard????? Wholly cow, not good...not good at all. Gaborik, Bouchard and a guy thats not afraid to throw his weight around and an elbow or too alsois a little better. Leave Park on the checking line where he belongs. Park will score 30 pts on the 1st line and 30 pts on the 3rd line....like the work ethic but that kind of skill is not there.
I'm not sure about the lack of skill DW - the guy just led team USA in scoring at the World Championships, 8 points in 9 games, good enough for 5th overall. Gaborik only had 6 points in the same tournament with arguably better teammates. Like Walz, I think Park is a guy who could be a decent 2nd line scorer if he weren't asked to play the defensive game.

Old
05-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Wild Bill

I agree, except, ideally his (Park's) offense would be better used on lines where he could help other guys that can't score. Gabby can score by himself...and could prolly score ALOT more with skilled guys around him....Park...eh...he is agressive, but not necessarily skilled. I wanna see Laaxo - Walz - Park... that's the two-way line we need to see more of IMO. Maybe get 15 goals out of each...30 points Park is a good change of pace guy for Marian, but not a legit 1st liner.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:45 AM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaachie12
who else do they put on that line? Wallin and Gaborik and ?

I like the idea, but that 3rd person would very important on so many different levels.
I favor Dupuis.

Wallin's skating isn't that much better than Zholtok's is IMO, so Dupuis adds speed from the wing that can hold its own with Gaborik & get in on the forecheck (something Gaborik doesn't do well because of his fear of contact).

Wallin can play the boards well enough on his own to not warrant a 3rd wheel player like Wanvig, who although bulky makes the line too slow IMO. Dupuis battles, plays with grit, and has also shown good hands & playmaking skills. He also adds a reasonable amount of defensive presence.

Veilleux would be my alternate choice.

Of course I say all of this disregarding what the rest of the lines would look like. Unfortunately with the current roster it always seems tough to come up with 4 lines that work out well enough (i.e. enough speed/size/skill/defense not to be too vulernable).

Old
05-30-2004, 06:34 AM
Gaborik10

Gaborik doesn't 'fear contact'.

Old
05-30-2004, 01:30 PM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik10
Gaborik doesn't 'fear contact'.
Ok, Gaborik's general unwillingness to take/give a hit to make a play.

Perhaps the most evident example being when he chases after a dump in and a defender is near, instead of initiating contact with the defender or going after and most likely gaining possession of the puck knowing he might get hit, he slows down and lets the defender control the puck. This leaves Gaborik the option of hitting the defender but instead he tries to use stickwork to gain the puck back (which, needless to say, is very often ineffective).

Gaborik isn't as soft as Daigle (in part because Gabby's stick work is more fierce, the other part being guts) but I think it's easy to see he is below average when speed and stickhandling can't get the job done for him. Although I would even say Bouchard, whose physical attributes are far more daunting for board work, has arguably displayed more guts (willingness) than Gaborik in that area.

All of this, of course, doesn't make Gaborik a bad player, but he has weaknesses that should be considered when determining suitable linemates.

Last edited by CechMY5HOLEman-ek!: 05-30-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old
05-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Gaborik10

Yeah, and I really think hitting people should start to be a part of Gaborik's game...but I don't think he fears contact. He's old enough now, he should start hitting people. Fedorov is a great player, and his ability to hit people adds to that. That would be nice for Gaborik to start doing that.

Old
05-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CechMY5HOLEman-ek!
I favor Dupuis.
I do as well. I can't figure out why he and Gabby are not playing together more (at least more than once every couple games). Pascal is an agressive player and creates offensive opportunities with his speed and shiftiness. You put a big faceoff guy in between (M.Chouinard) that can create space for them and I think you got a pretty dynamic line. Plus Pascal will shoot the puck and Marian can only benefit from a little pressure taken off his shoulders. More rebounds, more room to move with defenders locked in on someone else, easier goals.

On the Gaborik hitting issue, I think after a few more years of getting beat up on the ice, night after night, by top pairing d-men and shutdown forwards, he'll get sick of being a tackle dummy and will add a physical demention to his game, if not for survival purposes alone.

Old
05-31-2004, 09:20 AM
Gaborik10

That would be nice!! He should really get a start on that, because now, when he gets beat up, he starts spearing and slashing!

If Mikko Mouse ever gets over here, we could put him in between Gaborik and Dupuis...that would be interesting indeed.

Old
05-31-2004, 01:02 PM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
I do as well. I can't figure out why he and Gabby are not playing together more (at least more than once every couple games). Pascal is an agressive player and creates offensive opportunities with his speed and shiftiness. You put a big faceoff guy in between (M.Chouinard) that can create space for them and I think you got a pretty dynamic line. Plus Pascal will shoot the puck and Marian can only benefit from a little pressure taken off his shoulders. More rebounds, more room to move with defenders locked in on someone else, easier goals.
Agreed.

Dupuis-Ronning-Gaborik line had a decent spurt of success 2 years ago. That makes me even a bit more surprised Lemaire hasn't tried to get those two out on the ice a bit more. Albeit, last year was a bit of a wash with both players holding out and neither having much consistency.

Unfortunately, now that you mention it (Pascal's willingness to shoot), that might be one of the reasons Lemaire doesn't put Dupuis on the same line as Gabby as often...this team has few players willing to shoot the puck on a regular basis and those are the most frequent

I still like them as linemates though.

Old
05-31-2004, 05:10 PM
DW

Quote:
I'm not sure about the lack of skill DW - the guy just led team USA in scoring at the World Championships, 8 points in 9 games, good enough for 5th overall.
I understand he did pretty well over there playing on large ice sheets. His skill still translates into 25-30 pts in the NHL. Plus he was playing minutes on the PP and 2nd line minutes this year for the Wild this year. He is a good skater, that's his #1 skill, but he's no offensive player. Didn't the USA squad have guys that also had good #'s that have never played in the NHL or play overseas? I'm just saying his skill does not translate to NHL success. Which it never has in his entire NHL career. He is what he is, a checking line player. I'm not sure what people see in him that suggests anything other then that. JL is giving the guy every oppurtunity to put up #'s which he's not capable of reaching.

Old
05-31-2004, 05:53 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Daigle- Wallin- Gaborik

Old
05-31-2004, 07:13 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
can i bet on 0 goals next season (aka lockout)

Old
06-01-2004, 10:40 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2
can i bet on 0 goals next season (aka lockout)

haha..good one. If there is a season, he'll get 30-35. It was the contract situation along with the break up of his engagement that lead to the subpar season. He'll be back on track next year.

Old
06-17-2004, 12:17 AM
hotgoalie11565

40-45 goals sounds realistic to me.

Old
06-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Gaborik10

It's a realistic number if we get him some linemates. Of course, there is nothing wrong with the players we have, but we really do need an established scoring line!

Old
06-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Hossafan018

Under the current system; I'd say fifty sounds realistic. That is assuming that he does attend training camp, plays every game, and has the proper linemates. If one of those is missing, then I'd say forty to forty five.

Old
06-21-2004, 02:14 AM
D.Legwand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
Prolly 20+ in his first 20 games, 2 over the next 30 and another 15-20 the rest of the way...

True, very true.

I think he played good this year, he didn't have the numbers but to me it seemed he played better hcokey. At 22 this kid is gonna be a top NHL player in a few years. Hopefully sooner or later. I forgot who mentioned Iginla, but that was a good point also. Him to slump the way he did was unexpected, he bounced back nicely. Why can't Gabby?

I smell 50 goals next year if this is his line.
Dupuis-Schremp-Gaborik
I can dream can't I?

Last edited by D.Legwand: 06-21-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old
06-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Gaborik10

Well, the Flames also have Conroy and Donovan...and Gelinas. We don't have anyone like that, even. Bouchard is too young to make an impact, O'Sullivan hasn't even played for us, Koivu is still in Finland, Walz is a defensive speciallist, though he can play on offense when needed, Brunette is a bit slow for Gaborik, Daigle is just starting to have success for the first time in years, we play the trap, Doug won't sign even a single Free Agent other than role players which we DON'T NEED ANYMORE DOUG...

On the bright side, Wallin and Gaborik click very well, and maybe we can put Dupuis on the other wing. Or maybe Veilleux. Gaborik's capable of scoring by himself, but it's hard to do that consistently. A lot of times, he's the only forward attacking, and that just doesn't work. Everybody is sick of his come-in-at-full-speed-stop-at-blueline-lobb-puck-at-goalie-50-feet-out move. It doesn't work anymore. People who don't see Minnesota that much can't appreciate how fast Gaborik really is...most times, he leaves his teammates in the dust. And it's tough to watch.

He needs someone who is tough, can create offense, has legitamate speed, and good defensive capabilities. Where is that player? I don't know yet.

Closed Thread