HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Richard Matvichuk

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Teezax

vCash: 500
Richard Matvichuk

Tis guy is a UFA who is totally familiar with Hitchcock hockey, i think we should pursue him and see if we can land him cheap. I can't see why he wouldn't want to sign with us if a decent looking contract is offered. Thoughts?

Old
06-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I thought you guys were happy Therien left? Why aquire his rolemodel?

Old
06-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Is Matvichuck a winger? If he is i say we should sign him but if hes a center that cant turn to a wing than dont. If he plays Defence I say we sign him and let malakov go.

Old
06-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
I think Matvichuk played well under Hitch, he was a big part of the Stars stanley cup win a coule of years back. Any word on Dallas trying to resign him or is he gone for good?

Old
06-17-2004, 11:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
Matvichuk's play didn't go south until Hitchcock left.

If we sign Matvichuk, then Malakhov is gone.

Old
06-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Matvichuk's play didn't go south until Hitchcock left.

If we sign Matvichuk, then Malakhov is gone.
Uh no, the problem why Matvichuk sucked so much was because of a serious knee injury. Hitchcock has nothing to do with him at all..

Old
06-17-2004, 11:40 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
I think Matvichuk played well under Hitch, he was a big part of the Stars stanley cup win a coule of years back. Any word on Dallas trying to resign him or is he gone for good?
I don't even want him back and I doubt management would..

Trust me on Matvichuk.. here's a topic about him of a few days ago..

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...8&page=1&pp=15

And this is the most positive thing I've said about him..

Well, Matvichuk isn't exactly what he used to be. Not because he's on the decline, but somehow he can't recover fully enough in order to compete like before. I think that's the reason why the Stars will likely not try to re-sign him, rather than it's a money issue. 'Cause consider this, the Stars won't re-sign Numminen (or else they would lose a 1st or 2nd to PHO as agreed upon in the Sydor/Numminen/Sillinger deal), they won't re-sign either of Lubomir Sekeras and Chris Therien, Jon Klemm, aquired this season, makes far too much for a onesided, #4 defenseman and will likely be cut lose, and Don Sweeney, as good as he was for us, isn't getting any younger either. That leaves a potential defense with Philippe Boucher and Sergei Zubov, along with rookies Trevor Daley, John Erskine, Dan Jancevski and Jeff MacMillan. If the Stars won't even re-sign Matvichuk when the need for a defenseman is THAT urgent, you know he has sunk low. But that's all just speculation from my part, for all you know Matvichuk will still wear the green 'n gold and might very well return slowly to old form.

Old
06-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Teezax

if we can't sign Malakhov, i guarantee Matvichuk will wear the orange and black by september.

Old
06-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
if we can't sign Malakhov, i guarantee Matvichuk will wear the orange and black by september.
Oh well, don't say I didn't warn you..

Old
06-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Rex88

I would MUCH rather spend that money on O'donnell from Boston, I think he would be a big upgrade and is physical enough to fill that role on this team.
I am also one who does NOT want to resign Malakov.

I see the D as

KJ
Markov
Pits
Rags
Eric
O'Donnell
Seids

7 is needed and I would love to have a stay at home vet in the AHL to replace if injuries hit again. Clearly Slaney was not enough to help even plug a hole in the NHL. If Timmander would come back I would consider resigning him and working out the D numbers later. I would also wait to see who is not qualified as a group 2 FA.

Old
06-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Mats_Hallin

Personally I'd rather see Boughner in a Flyers uniform instead of O'Donnell but it's obvious we need a aggressive defenseman and both would make a great addition.

Old
06-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

1. Eric Desjardins
2. Kim Johnsson
3. Danny Markov
4. Marcus Ragnarsson
5. Vladmir Malakhov
6. Joni Pitkanen
7. Dennis Seidenberg

No room for Matvichuk. Only possibility is if Malakhov is not re-signed.

Old
06-17-2004, 10:55 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Marcus Ragnarsson hasn't been bad for us and he has been really good at times but I think his injury woes might get him traded. I think Clarke will sign Malakhov and might trade Ragnarsson to a young team like the Panthers for a draft pick. This would mean Matvichuk would be a Flyer come October and i'd love to see our lines like this.

Markov - Malakhov
Matvichuk - Johnsson
Pitkanen - Desjardins

That would be very solid IMO.

Old
06-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Rex88

Malakov was great in the playoffs this year and in 2000.
He will be 36 in one month.
He has played 62 games this past year and 56 before that.
I do not think bringing him back is the right move. In the recent past he has been hurt and in the regular season often appeared disinterested in play. I would much rather go with a more physical, consistent player. I do not think that is Malakov or Matvichuk. O'donnell is a UFA, 32 and played 82 games as the alternate captain for the Bruins. He plays a fairly physical game but can also make the first pass. There may be some group 2 non qualified guys who may become available as well but I hope the Flyers sit on any new contract for Malakov until the CBA is cleared.

Old
06-18-2004, 12:11 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats_Hallin
Personally I'd rather see Boughner in a Flyers uniform instead of O'Donnell but it's obvious we need a aggressive defenseman and both would make a great addition.
Boughner is a badass man. i would love to see him here next season.

Old
06-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Brad*

Considering how well Malakhov played in the playoffs, it would be wise to re-sign him.

Also, why would we want Matvichuck if Stars fans are telling us he's been terrible for a few seasons now?

Old
06-18-2004, 01:01 PM
VaFlyer

The advantage you have in bringing back Malakhov is what he will bring once the playoffs start. You must live with the lazy play until then. I thought Malakhov had a contract that had 2 options - team option at 4.5 million, player option at 2.5 million. I guess that would lead to a 3.5 million dollar price tag. Is he worth that? Based on the playoffs-yes. Malakhov played physical and contributed on offense, something that neither Odonnell or Boughner will do. IMO, all guys discussed in this thread are back-up options if we can't get Malahkov resigned.

When it comes to trading Ragnarsson, I wouldn't mind him being moved, if I found that I could get a 27, 28, or 29 year old defenseman about the same caliber.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:38 PM
FlyersFan10*

Hey, I got an idea, call it crazy, but what if we did deal Ragnarsson and instead of getting a body back, we get a draft pick and we end up making room for Seidenberg on the roster? We have a talented defenseman right underneath our noses and instead we talk about Matvichuck. Honestly, who gives a flying f*@k about Matvichuck. Hand the roster spot to Seidenberg and let him play. How about we start using the young talent we draft and let them learn the game instead of letting them sit in the press box. That might be a good idea for this team to follow for once.........

Old
06-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Honestly, who gives a flying f*@k about Matvichuck. Hand the roster spot to Seidenberg and let him play.........
HAHA nice Flying ******* but ya that is a much better idea

Old
06-18-2004, 05:57 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Hey, I got an idea, call it crazy, but what if we did deal Ragnarsson and instead of getting a body back, we get a draft pick and we end up making room for Seidenberg on the roster? We have a talented defenseman right underneath our noses and instead we talk about Matvichuck. Honestly, who gives a flying f*@k about Matvichuck. Hand the roster spot to Seidenberg and let him play. How about we start using the young talent we draft and let them learn the game instead of letting them sit in the press box. That might be a good idea for this team to follow for once.........
I like the idea but let Ruggeri and Seidenberg duke it out for that spot instead of giving it to him

excellent use of the phrase "flying f*@k"

Old
06-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
I like the idea but let Ruggeri and Seidenberg duke it out for that spot instead of giving it to him

excellent use of the phrase "flying f*@k"
Let Ruggeri fight for a spot on the Phantoms.

Old
06-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
I think Seids should be considered for a roster spot, but we also need a guy who will play physical, clear the porch, win battles in the corners and just plain punish opposing forwards. Boughner plays that kind of game, so does O'Donnell. Both would come cheaper than Malakhov and both are younger and have more positivies to their game than Matvichuk.

Old
06-21-2004, 10:00 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Put my vote in for Boughner. We need someone (continuing need for years) who will punish the opposition players who wander in front of our goalies.

This (again) has been a weak spot on the D for years....

Closed Thread