HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Drury: Is he a true Captain?

View Poll Results: Chris Drury: Is he a TRUE Captain?
Yes, he's proven in the past that he's a tremendous leader 99 87.61%
No, he's not outspoken enough and lacks the powerful personality required of a Captain 14 12.39%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
messier was able too, he was able to get management to get rid of players he hated.

great....who on the roster has the clout of mark messier?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I always get a chuckle on HF when a poster implies that a captain needs be a vocal, rah-rah type in order to be effective. The "Hollywood" typecast.

More than anything else, players respect peers who perform...and who perform at the most pressure times: when a team needs a goal; in the post-season; and when a team is getting it's ass kicked and other, lesser types mail it in.

That's leadership.

Not standing on a bench yelling in the lockeroom.

To be sure, there are different types of leaders, some more vocal than others. But it's superficial to think that just because a guy is not overly emotional he lacks leadership quality.

Not to mention, the "C" is vastly overstated around these part. A good team has just one captain, but it has MANY leaders.

Drury has a reputation among his peers. That's good enough.

People try to stereotype Messier as a vocal leader guy who would pin teammates against the wall and threaten them. One recalls, however, a poignant moment caught on TV during the '91 playoffs. He quietly and calmly turns to Tikkanen on the Oilers bench and asks "would you mind if I made a suggestion?"

That's leadership, too.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
no you said as long as the team looks motivated...

that is not the captains job...the captains job is to talk to the refs...
So guys like Messier and Yzerman are acclaimed for their ability to talk to the referees? Interesting..

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
i was just giving you a hard time. i agree, true=real...but it just struck me as odd that you quoted something which wasn't written.
we aren't big fans of each other...

I was just opening the dialogue...like I said, I said I think he is. I just personally think Gomez would be better suited as the Captain. I think a captain should have a strong personality. Not loud...but strong. That's just my opinion.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 03:49 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
if you think Gomez should be captain over Drury, theres something seriously wrong with you
I like to be different!

I'm not even sure that he would be....The more I think of it the more I think Drury would be a better Captain. I understand he (Drury) has the locker room and that's great. I'd just like to see him be a bit more vocal, that's all. But last year Jagr was Captain...so we'll see.

Are we all even sure Drury is 100% going to be the Captain?

Old
09-02-2008, 03:50 PM
GarretJoseph

I want Staal as captain. I don't care about how old he is. Penguins and Hawks have very young C's.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
So guys like Messier and Yzerman are acclaimed for their ability to talk to the referees? Interesting..

are you trying to compare drury to yzerman or messier?

interesting...

btw...how much did messier influence his teammates his last 7 years of his career?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Fletch

good points Trots...I do believe, however, that a silent leader on the ice isn't always that effective. You need to be able to say the right things, provide the right guidance and real game experience to be effective. You need to play hard (not always great, but do the right things at the rigtht times) in order for the players on your team to give a hoot about what the captain says. As well, past experience helps and players fearing the captain doesn't always hurt (sounds weird, but if the 'leader' yells at a team and I'm the one bringing up the rear and holding the team back, I ain't going to feel so great so I'm going to do my best to avoid that type of humiliation).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I always get a chuckle on HF when a poster implies that a captain needs be a vocal, rah-rah type in order to be effective. The "Hollywood" typecast.

More than anything else, players respect peers who perform...and who perform at the most pressure times: when a team needs a goal; in the post-season; and when a team is getting it's ass kicked and other, lesser types mail it in.

That's leadership.

Not standing on a bench yelling in the lockeroom.

To be sure, there are different types of leaders, some more vocal than others. But it's superficial to think that just because a guy is not overly emotional he lacks leadership quality.

Not to mention, the "C" is vastly overstated around these part. A good team has just one captain, but it has MANY leaders.

Drury has a reputation among his peers. That's good enough.

People try to stereotype Messier as a vocal leader guy who would pin teammates against the wall and threaten them. One recalls, however, a poignant moment caught on TV during the '91 playoffs. He quietly and calmly turns to Tikkanen on the Oilers bench and asks "would you mind if I made a suggestion?"

That's leadership, too.
I disagree, I think you need to be a atleast somewhat vocal to be a good captain. Jagr wasn't thought of as being a great captain, nor are many Euro's. They lead by example but it doesn't seem to be enough. Brian Leetch wasn't a great captain and he was very quiet in the room. There is a reason why Mess was thought of as the greatest captain of all time, he did it all. Those stories about him taking a rookie to the store and buying him his first two suites cause of the team dress code, taking a rookie around town and out to dinner. Knowing the time of year to make the rookies buy the team dinner. Having a good captain also helps in team building throughout the season. Pat Lafontaine Islander fan, he was a good captain........Alexei Yashin not so much.

But as far as the question of the thread, I think Drury is the best candidate to be captain, and it's a great choice.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Mess didn't even have to talk to the Refs, he would just give them "the look". Working the Refs is def a job for the captain. Shanny did it last year for us instead of Jagr though.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:54 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Yes he is

NOW GIVE HIM BACK

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Yes he is

NOW GIVE HIM BACK

no thank you, you guys can sign Malik though, hes just like Kalinin, i know how you guys love Dmitri so much

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:04 PM
MxK1NGS

I think Gomez should be the captain...

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I want Staal as captain. I don't care about how old he is. Penguins and Hawks have very young C's.
they also didnt have any 'real' leaders like we do in Drury, Redden, Naslund, Shanahan?, Gomez, Rozsival, ect.

I want to see this

C-Drury
A-Gomez
A-Rozsival

but if Shanny comes back

C-Drury
A-Shanahan
A-Gomez

Old
09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
are you trying to compare drury to yzerman or messier?

interesting...

btw...how much did messier influence his teammates his last 7 years of his career?
Yeah, that's exactly what I was doing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:29 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
they also didnt have any 'real' leaders like we do in Drury, Redden, Naslund, Shanahan?, Gomez, Rozsival, ect.

I want to see this

C-Drury
A-Gomez
A-Rozsival

but if Shanny comes back

C-Drury
A-Shanahan
A-Gomez
When does a "real leader" have to be older? or a vet?

Some people are born leaders, others are made.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:44 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

This isn't even anti-Gomez bias... But he's far from a leader. He's a guy who can keep things light in the locker room, but he's not a leader or a captain type (regardless of whether you like the rah-rah sort of captain or the calm and composed type, or a mix...). He's just not a guy to give a C to.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:22 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
and he stuck up for malik at least drury sticks up for his teammates

And Avery

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Garv23

Was it Richards he fought last preseason when Jagr took a cheapshot against Philly? I'm pretty sure it was Philly. Ah, I can't remember, but that impressed me right away. I think he's definitely worthy of Capt. The guy works his butt off every shift, would block a shot with his eyeball if he had to, is an excellent face-off man, PKer and is good in all other areas.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:36 PM
RedLightDistrict

While most of us believe that Drury possesses a soft-spoken presence in the locker room, I don't think that necessarily means that he isn't going to be a vocal teammate.

As I recall, in his freshman year at BU, Drury called out one of his own teammates who happened to be a senior, who was putting in a half-assed effort during an optional team practice. Drury got in the guy's face and basically told him if he wasn't going to put in his 100%, the senior may as well hit the showers.

That's the kind of guy I want to see come opening night -- Captain or not.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
Was it Richards he fought last preseason when Jagr took a cheapshot against Philly? I'm pretty sure it was Philly. Ah, I can't remember, but that impressed me right away. I think he's definitely worthy of Capt. The guy works his butt off every shift, would block a shot with his eyeball if he had to, is an excellent face-off man, PKer and is good in all other areas.
it was against Boston and he fought Petteri Nokalenian.

Old
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
he fought in boston at the beginning of the season but in the preseason he fought richards after he went after jagr from behind

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:

I want to see this

C-Drury
A-Gomez
A-Rozsival

but if Shanny comes back

C-Drury
A-Shanahan
A-Gomez
The argument for Shanny being Captain if he comes back:

He's more of a vocal leader, is better with the refs, will drop the gloves, tougher...has seniority, more Cups and is a HOF

against:

He'll be gone in a year.....why prolong the inevitable...make Drury or Gomez Captain.

*when I say more of a vocal leader...I don't mean just yelling or even dealing with the refs. I think he's more of a coach, mentor, to younger players.

Old
09-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
The argument for Shanny being Captain if he comes back:

He's more of a vocal leader, is better with the refs, will drop the gloves, tougher...has seniority, more Cups and is a HOF

against:

He'll be gone in a year.....why prolong the inevitable...make Drury or Gomez Captain.

*when I say more of a vocal leader...I don't mean just yelling or even dealing with the refs. I think he's more of a coach, mentor, to younger players.
i think the Cons of what you said explain the reason to why Shanny wont be captain.

Old
09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
no you said as long as the team looks motivated...

that is not the captains job...the captains job is to talk to the refs...
I completely, and respectfully, disagree with the motivating duties of the coach. The coach is there to put the team in a direction, the players are there to play the system. The captain is there to motivate, influence, and make sure the team follows what the coach says. in my case, Drury is the best option for captain.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote