HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking like Shanny could be moving on..

Old
09-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
that is true, but i'd rather get a natural winger, than sign Sundin and trade Rozsival which would hurt our Defense immensly.
well if a winger of Sundin's merit were available, he would be the clear choice

and I'm not advocating clearing out the space to fit Sundin in, but I think saying Sundin wouldn't be useful is ridiculous.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
well if a winger of Sundin's merit were available, he would be the clear choice

and I'm not advocating clearing out the space to fit Sundin in, but I think saying Sundin wouldn't be useful is ridiculous.
i never said he wouldnt be useful all i said was the Centre depth. of course he'd be useful but he isnt a need

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Statistics can be deceptive. Shanahan scored 8 goals and 7 assists after Jan 5 last season. Yes, he produced early in the season both years on the Rangers, but each time worn down (even before getting hurt) and didn't produce later in the year and during the playoffs. And if he gets less quality time (as he should if he's playing on one of the lower lines), Shanahan will probably be even less productive. The game is getting faster and Shanahan can't keep up anymore. All he'd do is slow down the line he's on and that's counterproductive, given the players already on the roster and the gameplan Renney has. It's time to move on.
You make a very good point. Some of you want to see Shanahan in a "reduced", 4th-line role, and yet you pencil him in for pretty much the same number of points.

If he were to come back and play on the 4th line, who would get him the puck? Blair Betts?

Shanahan is NOT a puck carrier, and is so even less (if that's even possible) at this stage of his career. Without a real setup many like Gomez, he'll be useless. Betts pretty much can't do anything with the puck, his game is based on not having it, so that surely isn't going to help.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Fletch

Shanny is the type of player who probably could be quite productive with about 10 minutes of ES time, 3 minutes of PP time and limited PK time. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to see that and may never know. Could he be more productive than Cally in the same role? Perhaps, but of course we also need to think about cost-benefit here and decide when it's time to move on.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Fletch

Callahan plays a tougher game along the boards and generally hits more than Shanahan--I'm not really sure that would be a good trade within the lineup to make.

And that's really the problem--Shanahan is just not fast enough to keep up and there are younger players who fit the role people envision him playing quite well. The organization finally has some depth, I like to see them use it, rather than signing Shanahan one more time.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Sturm und Drang

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
You make a very good point. Some of you want to see Shanahan in a "reduced", 4th-line role, and yet you pencil him in for pretty much the same number of points.

If he were to come back and play on the 4th line, who would get him the puck? Blair Betts?

Shanahan is NOT a puck carrier, and is so even less (if that's even possible) at this stage of his career. Without a real setup many like Gomez, he'll be useless. Betts pretty much can't do anything with the puck, his game is based on not having it, so that surely isn't going to help.
I don't know, most of the people advocating a 3rd or 4th line role weren't pointing to his numbers. I was looking at his production from last year, and saying I still wanted to see him on the 2nd line. I like Drury alot more as a center than a winger, and I think most of us agree that we are a little short on top six wingers on the current roster if we don't move someone from center. If Shanahan wears down later in the season, well, move him down to the 3rd or 4th line and move Prucha up. I'll take the 20 goals we can get out of him before that happens. If he is really willing to sign at a reduced rate, then he may be the best bargain out there among legit scoring wingers.

I don't know that I entirely buy him slowing down his linemates, either. If there is an opportunity on the rush, they can take it - he can follow up as the 3rd man high. If the rush is cut off and they end up cycling, there will be plenty of time for him to get into place to unleash his still above-average shot.

Anyway, there are certainly faster and younger players out there, and I don't really object to not signing Shanahan if we are looking at developing younger players for the future. I just think that this team would be better this year with him on it than off it, and that with experienced players like Gomez, Drury, Redden, and Naslund we aren't exactly in wholesale rebuilding mode.

Who on the current roster is going to put up better numbers on the 2nd line than Shanahan would? If I were convinced we had somebody who could be counted on to be productive in that role, then I would agree that we don't need Shanahan.

Sturm und Drang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:17 AM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturm und Drang View Post
I don't know, most of the people advocating a 3rd or 4th line role weren't pointing to his numbers. I was looking at his production from last year, and saying I still wanted to see him on the 2nd line. I like Drury alot more as a center than a winger, and I think most of us agree that we are a little short on top six wingers on the current roster if we don't move someone from center. If Shanahan wears down later in the season, well, move him down to the 3rd or 4th line and move Prucha up. I'll take the 20 goals we can get out of him before that happens. If he is really willing to sign at a reduced rate, then he may be the best bargain out there among legit scoring wingers.

I don't know that I entirely buy him slowing down his linemates, either. If there is an opportunity on the rush, they can take it - he can follow up as the 3rd man high. If the rush is cut off and they end up cycling, there will be plenty of time for him to get into place to unleash his still above-average shot.

Anyway, there are certainly faster and younger players out there, and I don't really object to not signing Shanahan if we are looking at developing younger players for the future. I just think that this team would be better this year with him on it than off it, and that with experienced players like Gomez, Drury, Redden, and Naslund we aren't exactly in wholesale rebuilding mode.

Who on the current roster is going to put up better numbers on the 2nd line than Shanahan would? If I were convinced we had somebody who could be counted on to be productive in that role, then I would agree that we don't need Shanahan.
honestly....i think dawes will surpass and cally could match the type of production that we would get from a 39 yr old shannahan this yr.......thats just me...

and isnt this......the whole point of the rebuild......working these guys up year by year.....

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Fletch

Brooklyn...

I agree about that on Cally - however, the kid seems to work pretty hard to get little done. He doesn't get space out there and his hits seem to be just that - hits that don't result in much. Shanny doesn't hit, but somehow the puck finds him, he finds room, and gets off shots even though he's old, slow and hampered. I wasn't definitive in saying Shanny would be more productive than Cally (and by productive I think beyond just goals), but I think it would be pretty darn close. His shot, compared to Calllys, makes up for a bit of his lack of footspeed.

Old
09-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Maybe, Fletch--if he stays healthy, which is a big if--but I'm not sold on the idea. And I really have my doubts, given the current roster, that Renney could resist the urge to play him more than 10 minutes a night (even strength).

I just think it's time to move on.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Fletch

I agree with that Brooklyn, and that's something I've said all along. I'm just commenting on how I think he'd do if used properly. But in all other posts I've stated that Renney won't be able to resist himself and he will be overused and useless by midseason.

Old
09-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Newyorkrangers.com just put a link on the frontpage to this video, in which Giannone & Maloney do a quick recap of the off-season moves, and Maloney is effectively assuming that Shanahan has left when he's calculating goal totals..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Rumor has it that Shanahan has been at the Training Center this past week.

abev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Rumor has it that Shanahan has been at the Training Center this past week.
YAY!......im so happy for Shanny that he's back. i wonder the contract.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Brooks says that the Ducks, Devils, Blues and Flyers have expressed "varying interest", and that Shanny is prepared to "investigate the opportunities."

Just his quotes, without the other speculation:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08312008...egy_126828.htm
Apparently according to NHL.com they have already cut ties.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=379971

Quote:
One season after dipping deep into the free agent pool for centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury, Sather cut ties with captain Jaromir Jagr, veteran forward Brendan Shanahan, uber-pest Sean Avery and defenseman Fedor Tyutin.