HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Confirmed: Ryan Shannon to Ottawa for Lawrence Nycholat [confirmed]

Old
09-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Askel

vCash: 500
No 8 d-man for an AHL center seems like an Ok deal.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
zepps

And there goes one of the more intelligent sounding Canucks...

zepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:27 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Please refrain from posting our lines. That sad set of forwards reminds me of, oh, the last two years. Depressing.
Jobu is back, how nice

JannikAtTheDisco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:28 PM
iceless
-`ღ´-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
where is salo?
injured

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Kmaz

I'm disapointed; more so if Nycolat doesn't crack our roster. Shannon was fairly young at 25 and although small, had good upside with skill and smarts. I wanted to see what he could do at camp. Either make the top 6 or push other players to grab it.

At 29 Nycolat will most likely have his best years behind him (even if they weren't in the NHL) and add a little, basically, unneeded competition for the last D pairing. If this is a precursor to signing Sundin or trading a defenceman for a top 6 then I can live with it...depending on who that top 6er may be.

Kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:10 PM
orcatown

Mostly a nothing trade. Ottawa takes a flyer on Shannon and the Canucks look to get some back line depth.

Shannon is a long shot to make anyones top 6 and he must make it as top 6 player (the way team configure their lineups presently) and it's very doubtful Shannon can produce enough offense to do this. Has some cute moves but gets taken out of the play too easily. Don't think most Canucks fans will forget Shannon ducking away from the preventing the icing call last year and this maybe this sums up why Shannon will never make it on a steady basis at the NHL level.

Nycholat has been given every chance to make the NHL but has not shown enough to stay out of the minors. Nothing dynamic about his game. Really at about the same level as Baumgartner. Both get forced out of their comfort zone when they move to the NHL level.

Trade may be a result of the discussions the Canucks and the Sens seemingly had about Bieksa and Vermette and all. Those discussions may have involved balancing the a major trade by including people like Shannon and Nycholat. In the end settled on a minor swap of such players.

Also might speculate that the Canucks had tried to include Shannon in packages to obtain some of the free agents still left and found little interest in Shannon. For example, team like Anaheim might want a defenseman or defensemen coming back their way for someone like Schneider. Maybe a package including Nycholat or Krjicek might be more appealing.

Trade would appear a saw-off at this point IMO

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Nycholat is a Moose acquisition, methinks, but capable of playing spot NHL duty when called upon. This is good as it gives us more extra depth in the case of injuries such as last season. Now, if any of the top-six are injured, we have a stable of defenders to call on--Davison, Baumgartner, Nycholat, McIver...I like the depth we have.

Meanwhile in Manitoba, Baumer and Nycholat should be a potent 1-2 pairing on the Moose in the AHL.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:33 PM
El Duderino

I don't like this trade at all... unless this move somehow allows us to get a better player in a future deal, this move doesn't really help us at all.
Unless over the summer he has developed drastically, Nycholat is not an NHL player, period. Shannon on the other hand has potential to be a good secondary scorer; he lacks size but compensates for it with his good passing skills and shot. Yes, he has weaknesses (defensively poor, somewhat weak on the puck), but he has a much better shot of becoming a full time NHLer than Nycholat does.
Also for an offensively starved team, Shannon helps more than Nycholat. Not to mention, he is on a two-way contract and is an RFA at the end of this season.

Anyway, all the best to Shannon, and welcome to Vancouver, Nycholat.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 View Post
I don't like this trade at all... unless this move somehow allows us to get a better player in a future deal, this move doesn't really help us at all.
Unless over the summer he has developed drastically, Nycholat is not an NHL player, period. Shannon on the other hand has potential to be a good secondary scorer; he lacks size but compensates for it with his good passing skills and shot. Yes, he has weaknesses (defensively poor, somewhat weak on the puck), but he has a much better shot of becoming a full time NHLer than Nycholat does.
Also for an offensively starved team, Shannon helps more than Nycholat. Not to mention, he is on a two-way contract and is an RFA at the end of this season.

Anyway, all the best to Shannon, and welcome to Vancouver, Nycholat.
I think this was just a case of not having room for Shannon. He's been surpassed by a player like Wellwood on the depth chart and is behind Raymond, Hansen, and Grabner in terms of priority as a prospect. There are only so many roster spots available for scorers on the Moose with the additions of Cullen, Howes, and Krog to Grabner, Hansen, Jaffray, Labrie, etc. on the farm and all of whom will be looking for decent ice time.

The Moose are obviously pushing for the Calder Cup this season and defense was probably the team's biggest weakness, so moving Shannon for an AHL all-star and an elite offensive defenseman at that level goes a long way in improving that.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Shannon is just another casualty of the Nonis era. Let the cleansing continue. Next up pettinger or pyatt.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Hale The Villain

I love this deal for Ottawa

Shannon may have a future in the NHL, but Nycholat is a career AHLer I am sorry to say

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
I love this deal for Ottawa

Shannon may have a future in the NHL, but Nycholat is a career AHLer I am sorry to say
There was no room in Vancouver for Shannon, and hes probably gone based on his small size.

Canucks trying to get bigger and meaner.

Old
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Payaso619*

Isn't it obvious that Shannon had to go to make room for Sundin

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Volt

Nycholat is a great AHL defensemen but whenever he gets called up to the NHL, he never really steps it up. He seems to be more comfortable playing at the AHL level than at the NHL level. He will have a real good impact on the Moose but as for making the nucks, I highly doubt it.

Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:41 PM
SpezDispenser

Meh...I think you might be a little surprised with Nycholat. Someone mentioned the Canucks cleaning house of the Nonis era, well this is Brian Murray cleaning house of the Muckler era. This is a very serviceable D-man who, from what I saw, had the potential for sure. Nice passes, fairly composed, gritty. He was an AHL all-star (last season), so I don't think he'll need any more time there. Probably spend a lot of time in the pressbox, but when you need him, he'll be good for you.

I can only hope Shannon makes an impact at training camp or has a killer season in the AHL, but with Glen Murray coming to camp, I doubt this kid sees NHL action unless there are injuries.

This is a wash. IMO it's certainly not a bad deal from a 'Nucks POV.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Just the first domino. More coming.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Considering how hard it was for Shannon to get a roster spot last year (was behind Raymond and only got in because of Morrison's injury) it was very unlikely he would stick this year. We basically dealt from a position of strength (fringe NHL forwards) for a position of weakness (fringe NHL defensemen). It works for me.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
pitseleh

Looks like my feelings are confirmed:

Quote:
Nycholat, 29, figures to help anchor the Manitoba Moose blue line along with fellow veteran Nolan Baumgartner.

"We wanted more defencemen and we wanted guys who could play NHL games, so we made the move," Gillis explained. "We've been following Nycholat for the last month or so and when the Andrej Meszaros trade happened, Nycholat became expendable in Ottawa."

He is on a one-way contract for $550,000 but it's believed the Moose will pay part of his salary if he winds up in Winnipeg.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...d-330bca6d01a2

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:04 PM
DreamCatcher*

So I guess this wasn't a precursor for a bigger trade. Gillis is sure making bold moves...for Manitoba

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:14 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
Jobu is back, how nice
I know its Jobu...but you know, he's completely right with that statement though.

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Sakic
Extra B is for BYOBB

Send a message via MSN to Sakic Send a message via Yahoo to Sakic
so two people called this trade?

bummer.

Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndHereWeGo View Post
So I guess this wasn't a precursor for a bigger trade. Gillis is sure making bold moves...for Manitoba
Considering Demitra and Bernier replace the 2 top 6 roster spots left by Naslund and Morrison does that mean we're gonna hear the "Gillis brought in Krog, Nycholat, Wellwood, Johnson and Hordichuk to address the scoring" argument that followed Nonis and his depth acquisitions?

Finding a 2nd line centre between now and training camp is now an absolute must. If we're looking to fill that role within it would make absolutely no sense dealing a player in Shannon that had as good a shot as anyone currently within the organization to earn that spot. A 2nd line centre must be on it's way. If not, someone's asleep at the wheel.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Nycholat is a great AHL defensemen but whenever he gets called up to the NHL, he never really steps it up. He seems to be more comfortable playing at the AHL level than at the NHL level. He will have a real good impact on the Moose but as for making the nucks, I highly doubt it.
Umm...you mean in the 4 games he's had a chance?

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Considering Demitra and Bernier replace the 2 top 6 roster spots left by Naslund and Morrison does that mean we're gonna hear the "Gillis brought in Krog, Nycholat, Wellwood, Johnson and Hordichuk to address the scoring" argument that followed Nonis and his depth acquisitions?

Finding a 2nd line centre between now and training camp is now an absolute must. If we're looking to fill that role within it would make absolutely no sense dealing a player in Shannon that had as good a shot as anyone currently within the organization to earn that spot. A 2nd line centre must be on it's way. If not, someone's asleep at the wheel.
Are you Dave Nonis's mother or something? Geeze...Gillis hasn't made a deal to get a number 2 center yet, but all reports suggest that he has a Plan B, and Gillis himself has stated that nothing has changed with his Plan B. Give it a rest.

Just because Nonis didn't do his job and got fired for it doesn't mean Gillis will follow suit!

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

this is basically a minor league trade so i wouldnt get to worked up, remember, we traded jason king for shannon.

shannon probably wasnt gonna make the team this year and maybe he has a shot in ottawa, but i doubt it