HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best standard blade.

Old
09-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Best standard blade.

I'm looking for a standard blade for my Nike Bauer One90 shaft. I've narrowed it down to 3.

Nike Bauer One90
Easton S15
Warrior AK27

Which blade is the lightest? Which blade has the best puck-feel? Which blade is the most durable?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Redden Hogalot*

vCash: 500
The Warrior AK27 probably isn't the lightest but it most definitely has the best puck-feel and the most durable.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Easton ST was very durable for me. The AK27 should have better puck feel and also be very durable, but only if you like the feel of composite blades (versus wood for instance).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 12:40 AM
nspeen

I have used a lot of different easton blades and a few warrior blades and I think warriors have better feel to them. I can't comment on the nike bauer blade.

nspeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
FDBluth

Kind of OT...but isn't it ****ing sweet that in our sport we can call our equipment stuff like "blades"? It sounds like we're about to go fight a ****ing Balrog! ...

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
mikeylikey

My pro shop doesn't have a big variety of blades...just a ton of the same few types.

I just bought an Easton S5 shaft, and an Easton Synergy Pro wood blade.

This blade SUCKS. I skate out onto the ice for my practice...I see a puck come my way...I wind up and shoot it...the blade breaks. ON THE FIRST SHOT.

I go back into the shop and showed them what just happened, and they replaced it with the same blade...I get back out on the ice...after 2 shots, it happens again.

I used a friend's stick for the rest of the practice...then I went back to the store, and they offered me a different blade for the same price...so I picked up a Nike Bauer wood blade. Haven't tried it out yet...

Can anyone recommend a wood blade that won't shatter after the first few shots? I would like a composite blade, but don't think I can afford it at the moment.

mikeylikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Ok, thanks for the answers.

Right now I have a CCM V6 blade on my stick. I'm pretty sure all 3 of the blades I'm looking at are better then the V6, right?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
FDBluth

If you think about it, a composite blade that lasts is just as cost-effective as a wooden blade that breaks/wears down every once in a while. You can go at least good year on a good composite blade.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:19 AM
deanosaur

Personal preference. Much like the skates thing.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's my experience with wood blades:

Bauers break down way too fast. The heel starts to wear and split almost immediately, then the blade goes soft. Usually can't get more than a few games out of one. Used the One40, One60, and One80.

Eastons seem very soft. They also wear at the heel but the blades will go soft and torque very quickly. Last a little longer than Bauers but not by much.

Sherwood, only used one blade. It's fairly stiff and heavy and eventually splinters, but lasts longer than Bauers and Eastons.

Montreal blades are great. They have an ABS core and strip at the bottom, so they don't wear anywhere near as fast, plus they're very durable. Only downside is that they are thin and light and don't have that much heft if you take lots of hard shots. But they're better than anything else I've used.

Of course, I MUCH prefer composite blades because they are stiffer, stronger, lighter, and last a heck of a lot longer. Plus the curves are exactly the same.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote