HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sanguinetti

Old
09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You don't have to tell me how much. It's already known. He made 3M last year. He signed for 1.95M. That's a pay cut of over 1M.
Maybe because he wasn't that good to get 3 mil again? Sorry but the guy was a healthy scratch and has he really ever lived up to the billing since being drafted? No. To me the situation seems that the Rangers were the only team to give him a contract offer.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Fletch

perhaps there's an abundance of 5th/6th defensemen out there and other teams didn't view Mara as a top 4 defenseman and didn't want to spend $2MM on a 5/6 defenseman. I'd guess there was little interest out there for a guy who is a former #1 pick and who has a nice shot because it's been years since he's played like a #1 pick and has used that shot effectively. Hopefully he play for a 3-4 year contract this season.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Whats all this with his nice shot? Malakhov had a nice shot too but what good did it do when it banged off the backboards everytime he let it go.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Maybe because he wasn't that good to get 3 mil again? Sorry but the guy was a healthy scratch and has he really ever lived up to the billing since being drafted? No. To me the situation seems that the Rangers were the only team to give him a contract offer.
Um, that's kind of my point. I don't think he was given any better offers.

09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Mara wanted to stay with Rangers.
Quote:
“There was interest from other teams but I wanted to win in New York. So there was stuff left on the table, but it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t win,” Mara said by phone just now. “After all the signings and trades, people are excited and ready for it. Everything we have brought in is the pieces of the puzzle to win a Stanley Cup.”
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/0...-for-one-year/

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Fletch

Interesting tidbit...of course he's not going to say the materiality of the differences in the offers and the cost and hassles of moving may not be worth the extra $100k he would've earned.

On Sanguinetti - we should let the kid develop in HFD before determining if he's ready for the NHL. From what I've heard and seen, his defense isn't up to NHL standards (and isn't better than other AHL defensemen on the Rangers). Heck, I'm not even sure his offense was up to AHL standards for an offenseman. We should let him learn the system, get acclimated to the AHL on a long-term basis, and then make a decision. My guess is that in case of injury, Potter may be the next in line for a call-up.

Old
09-03-2008, 02:27 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You don't have to tell me how much. It's already known. He made 3M last year. He signed for 1.95M. That's a pay cut of over 1M.
but there are no guarantees that another team offered him THAT much for whatever new contract.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Whats all this with his nice shot? Malakhov had a nice shot too but what good did it do when it banged off the backboards everytime he let it go.
Because Sangs actually hits the net

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 03:33 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
Mara wanted to stay with Rangers.

Quote:
“There was interest from other teams but I wanted to win in New York. So there was stuff left on the table, but it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t win,” Mara said by phone just now. “After all the signings and trades, people are excited and ready for it. Everything we have brought in is the pieces of the puzzle to win a Stanley Cup.”

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/0...-for-one-year/
What did you think he was going to say? No one else wanted me so I took a big pay cut and a smaller role to stay with a team I played for last year?

I'm sure it helps that the NYR were in the PO's and could be again this year....

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Fletch

You gotta like Mara's attitude - stating that they brought in the pieces of the puzzle for the Stanley Cup. Typically with overhauls like that you'd classify it as scrambling. I'm hoping he's used properly, stays healthy, and shows us he can be a top four defenseman and a competent point guy on the PP.