HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik To New York?

Old
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
alrite....i have a complicated one......

to OTT:
rozsival
to NYR:
SJ 1st in 09(from the mezsaros trade) + Neil

to MINN:
SJ 1st 09, NYR 1st 09, dawes, neil, prucha

to NYR:
gaborik

?.....fair?

minnesota gets another tough antagonizer in neil and the rangers clear about 7 million in cap space for gaborik

drury-gomez-gaborik
naslund-dubinsky-zherdev
fritsche-anisimov-callahan
sjostrom-betts-voros
rissmiller, orr

redden-girardi
staal-mara
kalinin-potter
pock

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
So Ottawa gets Rozsival... but gives up a first round pick and Chris Neil? I know they need defense... not sure how I feel about that. Not sure if Rozy warrants a first round pick... let alone a first rounder with Neil

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Would they even deal neil for rozsival straight up? leave alone add a first rounder?

Tough to suggest a fair trade honestly. Id rather just do Gomez, prucha, and a low draft pick/minor prospect

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 12:39 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Love Gaborik but hes a streaky kind of player, gets hurt from time to time, and though he would fit in well on this team i think theyll be too much going back to Minny, and another large contract to squeeze in.

If he does well and likes NY, then you'll potentially have to resign Zherdev, Gaborik, Fritsche, Dubinsky, Sjostrom, Dawes, Callahan and Cherepanov. Of course you wont sign all of them, you cant...

But thats crazy bucks for just Zherdev and Gaborik if they do well not to mention you already have Drury, Gomez, Lundqvist, Redden, Rozy's, and Naslunds contracts on board for 09-10.

Ok, say you get him without the idea of resigning him...

He hasnt exactly lit it up in the postseason... 29 games 22 points 12 goals. Just ok, but the last two postseasons his stats are a little different:

11 games, 3 goals, 2 assists. Thats terrible for a guy whos supposed to be your go-to sniper.

If you get a guy like him for one year don't you want some postseason experience to boot? Especially if you are essentially giving away youth, draft pick(s) or an impact player (or all 3) for a shot at the cup this year...

Unless they fleece Minny, which i highly doubt - PASS.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 12:39 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
so what do we do for defense this year? and next? we don't have dmen that we can trade b/c we don't have replacements. I'm not sure why this is so hard to comprehend for people.
what do you mean, what do we do for defense? Staal and Redden eat up major minutes. Girardi has also proven he can play 20 minutes a game. Mara and Kalinin aren't really clouches either. If it means gettign Gaborik, I'm ok with Pock or whoever makes the team as our #6.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
what do you mean, what do we do for defense? Staal and Redden eat up major minutes. Girardi has also proven he can play 20 minutes a game. Mara and Kalinin aren't really clouches either. If it means gettign Gaborik, I'm ok with Pock or whoever makes the team as our #6.
What if two or three of them get hurt?

Then you have a top heavy team and "going for it" doesnt seem like such a great idea anymore.

You have to be prepared for that.

Old
09-03-2008, 12:51 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
Redden needs to find his form again... we don't know what we are getting w/ Redden. Kalinen has alot of injuries in the past. If you get rid of Rosy and Sangs... if we have more than one injury on the team our next player to step in is Michael Freakin Busto. that trade leads us w/ absolutely no depth. And than next year we need to sign 3 more dmen and we don't have any replacements so that means we probably overpay for them w/ cap room we don't have by keeping Gomez, Drury, Gabby, Zherdev.

but it doesn't make too much of a difference b/c Minny DOESN'T need dmen.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:06 PM
NYReign

If we're gonna make a trade like this it has to be centered around Gomez (which is counter-productive since he would be the best fit with Gaborik), Drury (which we can't really do because of the NMC), or Rozsival (which is do-able but I'm sure it would be Rozsival + Dubinsky + more which is a scary proposition). I'd love to center something around Drury and I might give in to trading a Rozsy/Dubie package but it's all a lot to give up esp. for someone who is injury-prone and only signed for this year on a team in terrible cap trouble. It might be better off to wait it out a year and hope Zherdev gets the job done and think about signing Gaborik as a FA.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:11 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
If we're gonna make a trade like this it has to be centered around Gomez (which is counter-productive since he would be the best fit with Gaborik), Drury (which we can't really do because of the NMC), or Rozsival (which is do-able but I'm sure it would be Rozsival + Dubinsky + more which is a scary proposition). I'd love to center something around Drury and I might give in to trading a Rozsy/Dubie package but it's all a lot to give up esp. for someone who is injury-prone and only signed for this year on a team in terrible cap trouble. It might be better off to wait it out a year and hope Zherdev gets the job done and think about signing Gaborik as a FA.
id love gaborik but since we have some russians id rather wait to sign kovalchuk. yea gaborik is a more complete player but it would be nice to have:

kovalchuk gomez zherdev

that would be a nasty line.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:13 PM
DontStepanMe

what cap room do we have to sign Gabby or Kovy if we don't trade away a big contract such as Gomez or Drury (and no it would be a bigger contract than just Rosy)

Old
09-03-2008, 01:16 PM
ThirdEye

Now that I know his salary, forget about it

We have to pay him 7 million and give away some pretty good players... doesn't make any sense at all at this point, especially if we have to break up our defense as well

All that considered, I think there is zero chance he ends up with the Rangers.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
How about this for a trade?

Dubinsky, Dawes, Prucha, Kalinin, 1st round pick.

Minny gets 3 solid pieces (Duby, Dawes, pick).

Minny gets 4 players that can be plugged into there lineup. Prucha can thrive in Minny because he'd get a lot of ice time.

We can plug Fritsche into the 3rd C spot (future will have Anisimov there). Gaborik would take up Dawes spot, we don't get a significant loss in Prucha or Kalinin.

Duby 633k, Dawes 587k, Prucha 1.6M, Kalinin 2.1M = 4.92M
that actually doesn't clear nearly that much space, unless you're planning on carrying an 18 man roster

Quote:
Would they even deal neil for rozsival straight up? leave alone add a first rounder?

Tough to suggest a fair trade honestly. Id rather just do Gomez, prucha, and a low draft pick/minor prospect
considering Rozsival just signed a contract as a free agent, I would say no

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Turambar

You people are crazy. Gaborik is a good player, but he's streaky, he's injury-prone, and he isn't reliable.

Isn't this the same strategy that got the Rangers into trouble for so many years - trade a bunch of good young players and picks for a big name?

Huge pass.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
You people are crazy. Gaborik is a good player, but he's streaky, he's injury-prone, and he isn't reliable.

Isn't this the same strategy that got the Rangers into trouble for so many years - trade a bunch of good young players and picks for a big name?

Huge pass.

One word...

Amen

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 03:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Huge pass.
This sums it up without having to get into details.

Agree.

Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. Just because he is a big name, a good player and the type of guy the Rangers need with Gomez doesnt mean hes automatically a great option for the team.

Old
09-03-2008, 03:20 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

Huge pass.
Goborik when healthy is an elite player. not a good player. gomeaz and drury are good players. They are nowhere near Gabbys league when Gabby is healthy.

He is injury prone. Can't hide that fact.

The last 3 season's he has avgeraged over a pt per game. How is that a Streaky and unreliable player. Prucha is a streaky unreliable player. Gabby isn't. he had one 5 game streak w/o a pt and one 4 game streak. after that there was a couple two's but basically he got a point every game, or every other. that's not really streaky.

and the Rangers old philosophy was a trading away young players for OLD players. Not 26 yr old payers in their prime, and are among the elite. also using your thinking you must have hated the Zherdev trade also as we traded our young talent.

their old philosophy was also signing overpaid, and overrated free agents but many people here don't have problems w/ the gomez, drury, naslund, redden signings.

jeez. people want a youth movement, but don't want to get elite youth, just a bunch of 3rd liners who can maybe achieve 2nd line potential. Getting Gabo will help solidify the youth movement, NOT hurt it.

We already have way tooo many prospects for us to use them all on the ice. so use them in a trade. plus than we will be forced to shed one of our horrible contracts in Gomez or Drury ot get an ELITE player. notice how I say ELITE. not a good player, but an ELITE player.

Old
09-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Goborik when healthy is an elite player. not a good player. gomeaz and drury are good players. They are nowhere near Gabbys league when Gabby is healthy.

He is injury prone. Can't hide that fact.

The last 3 season's he has avgeraged over a pt per game. How is that a Streaky and unreliable player. Prucha is a streaky unreliable player. Gabby isn't. he had one 5 game streak w/o a pt and one 4 game streak. after that there was a couple two's but basically he got a point every game, or every other. that's not really streaky.

and the Rangers old philosophy was a trading away young players for OLD players. Not 26 yr old payers in their prime, and are among the elite. also using your thinking you must have hated the Zherdev trade also as we traded our young talent.

their old philosophy was also signing overpaid, and overrated free agents but many people here don't have problems w/ the gomez, drury, naslund, redden signings.

jeez. people want a youth movement, but don't want to get elite youth, just a bunch of 3rd liners who can maybe achieve 2nd line potential. Getting Gabo will help solidify the youth movement, NOT hurt it.

We already have way tooo many prospects for us to use them all on the ice. so use them in a trade. plus than we will be forced to shed one of our horrible contracts in Gomez or Drury ot get an ELITE player. notice how I say ELITE. not a good player, but an ELITE player.
what he said. were talking in his prime kind of a player. still, i dont think its going to happen, as much as i want it to.

Gaborik is the kind of guy you pay 7+ million dollars for.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
what he said. were talking in his prime kind of a player. still, i dont think its going to happen, as much as i want it to.

Gaborik is the kind of guy you pay 7+ million dollars for.
forgot to add that in. It ain't happening, but I would welcome it w/ open arms if it did.

Old
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Never going to happen....next.

Plus no way do I want to give up what he is worth.

The guy misses almost 20 games a season as a young player (cept last season he played 77)....wait till hes 30, he'll be the new peter forsberg.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 04:31 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

You do realize that he held out for a year, which caused him to miss all those games?

And when he missed a ton (48 games played...34 games lost) it was because he came back too soon, not because he was injured the whole time. He came back and re-injured his groin because he was impatient and wanted to get back out and play because the team wasn't doing well?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
D713B

I'm gonna start my own blog/website full of outlandish trade rumors. I'll supply no proof for any of my rumors and everyone will praise my word as the gospel. Most of these rumors defy logic and still cause a frenzy on these boards. I'll check back in later when this thread reaches 30 pages all based upon a blurb under the title "DON'T PRINT THAT".

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 04:44 PM
danroy33

At this point, the real question has to be whether Gaborik puts the Rangers over the top. I don't think he does. Not because of his skill, but because of what you would lose when you get him. Besides, why trade for him now when you can just sign him after the season? Or better yet, at the trade deadline when Minnesota is out of it and they know he won't re-sign. Give up a player, prospect, and a pick? I would do it. You will also have more cap maneuverability at the deadline as well.

danroy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Celestial Black

As great as it would be. I pass on tis deal and hope for something in the off season, if we can move Rozsival.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 04:52 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKariyana View Post
You do realize that he held out for a year, which caused him to miss all those games?

And when he missed a ton (48 games played...34 games lost) it was because he came back too soon, not because he was injured the whole time. He came back and re-injured his groin because he was impatient and wanted to get back out and play because the team wasn't doing well?
Ah, well thats sounds better then him being injured....

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 04:55 PM
TheHotRock

ok new question...

would you give up zherdev, sangs, rozy and a 1st for gabbo and 3-4 d-man?

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote