HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal

Old
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Your avatar makes my skin crawl.

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginner's in T.O. View Post
The only two reasons Staal may be made available is that i don't see the Pens wanting to go the Philly route and have three 5 M + centers where there is a need for depth elsewhere on the team. I think he's tradable by this deadline and no sooner. I am not sure the Pens are really sure what they have with him yet and would need to fogure that out before assigning any kind of trade value to him. I see this guy as an ideal second line center that can compliment a playmaking first liner. He brings a different look. I'm not saying he is like the following prototype second line centers but they all have something in common with Staal: Marleau and Legwand (goal scoring over passing), Brind'amour, Primeau, Richards (Power and two way play).

From Vancouver.....Any package would focus on Kesler as an upgrade from Staal as a third line center (though a downgrade in potential as a second liner), a d-man and a prospect. if Luc had not passed away, I would have said Kesler, Bourdon and a pick.
I wouldn't bet on that.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I think that he has become devalued here at HF for several reasons. Mostly stemming from being a center behind Crosby and Malkin. That diminished his chance to produce on a top line of course. Not that he would ever put up Crosby/Malkin numbers but on virtually every other team he would be centering their first or second line and certainly have a higher number of points. Secondly there is a perception that he is superflous on the Pens so you can get him for basically spare parts and the Pens would jump at the chance to get rid of him. Third is the perception that the Pens are broke and could never afford to spend to the cap totally ignoring that is just what they did this year. Finally he had an off year offensively last year and yet is 19 years old leading some here I think to believe that he could be stolen for a bag of pucks, when deep down most know that he was picked number two for a reason and that it was no mistake. All are likely reasons why Staal is the flavor of the hour I think.

The value? What is a number two overall pick that lives up to the billing worth? He is no Malkin or Crosby, but if he were on any other team it would be like asking what Toews or Steven Stamkos are worth. More than Stamkos actually as he has done zero in the NHL, Staal has shut down the best the NHL has to offer and has proven his lofty draft status. He is worth that much. That he is behind Crosby and Malkin on the depth chart does not change that. Imagine what you would need to trade for players like that and there you go.
This may be the most well throughout and written post I've seen on HF. Great points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinVanBuren View Post
Well since he sucks, not a lot.
How does he suck? Referrer to the quote above and rethink your opinion of Staal. May I ask which team you fallow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsLove88 View Post
So at what point does Staal become to expensive for the Pens to keep as a 3rd line center? 4 mil... 4.5 mil.. 5 mil? (this is a serious question to Pens fans because I don't know all the contract situations).
The key to this quote is '3rd line center'. If the Pens keep him on the third line, playing third line mins then yes, I feel 4.5 - 5.5 M is too much, because he will be underutilized on the third line. However, MT has stated that Staal is going to replace Malone's lost mins. This means time on the 1st PP unit and playing wing for Sid or Malkin (prob Malkin). As a winger with one of those two there is no reason he can't score 25+ goals and 60+ points. If he can show that he can play wing, like he did his rookie year when he put up 29G, than 4.5 - 5.5 M is reasonable for him.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Your avatar makes my skin crawl.
put a balm on it.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote