HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Question

Old
09-03-2008, 07:20 PM
NYRamonte10

vCash: 500
Interesting Question

This is a question that I've been debating with myself in light of some recent trade rumors etc.

There seems to be one basic question that this comes down to.

Is it better to tough these next two or three years out, and then watch the Rangers develop into a prime stanley cup contender, or to risk the amazing potential we have by going for a guy like gaborik or another big scorer?

I say tough it out, we've just made the playoffs 3 years in a row, I can live with perhaps not making them one of these years if things go south, as long as i know the future is bright. What do you guys think?

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

i just want them to play to the best of there abilities. i dont want them to tank it, but i dont want them to sell the farm for a player like Gabby, who can end up bolting after the year. so in retrospect i agree with you.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRamonte10 View Post
This is a question that I've been debating with myself in light of some recent trade rumors etc.

Is it better to tough these next two or three years out, and then watch the Rangers develop into a prime stanley cup contender, or to risk the amazing potential we have by going for a guy like gaborik or another big scorer?

I say tough it out, we've just made the playoffs 3 years in a row, I can live with perhaps not making them one of these years if things go south, as long as i know the future is bright. What do you guys think?
What potential are we risking though by bringing in Gaborik? We have so many extra assets that it would be well worth it.

Cherepanov? Were pretty much getting a current version of him, guarenteed. There is no... well he didnt work out. Sanguenetti or Del Zotto would prob. be included which does not matter since we have two similar players. Drury? That sheds 7 million in salary and allows us the potential to be able to keep both Gaborik and Zherdev after next year.

I dont think trading for Gaborik is risking it. Trading away players to make space for Sundin is risking it.

09-03-2008, 07:27 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
In all honestly, I think the Rangers can do both.

It all happens in the summer: draft and UFA season. If the NYR can get Kovalchuck, which is highly likely, it would really help in bringing in our highly praised Russian prospects. Can you imagine: Zherdev, Kovalchuck, Anisimov, Cherepanov, and Grachev, all on the same team, and the same time. Now that is a beastly line.

Of course, if we do get to keep our Russian army, some guys have to go. For example, if Callahan can't prove to be a consistent scorer or energy player this year, I think he can say goodbye to New York. As it was with Ortmeyer. To get a lot, you have to give a lot, and what they give is usually a homegrown player(AKA fan favorite).

In the end, it all depends on how the NYR develops their players. If they hope to have those Russians ready to make a scene in the NHL, they have to give them time. In that time, we have some really good players who are ready to play right now. Just give them time, and all will be good.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

To get Gaborik is a bad idea. We'll have to trade at least a decent farm player for him, and that's not what we need to do. I think it would be insane to trade away Gomez just to make room for Sundin...

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 08:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
To get Gaborik is a bad idea. We'll have to trade at least a decent farm player for him, and that's not what we need to do. I think it would be insane to trade away Gomez just to make room for Sundin...
Not saying its a deal I make. And capwise it would be hard. But, to take the opposing side for a second:

1) The Rangers have spent the last 4 years building up their farm team and stockpiling prospects. Not every prospect is going to pan out. Not every prospect is going to be a Ranger. Aren't prospects also there for the purpose of trades that can help the big club?

2) Gaborik is 26 years old. A year older than Sjostrom and Prucha.

3) You have to ask yourself, "would a top farm system player (Sanguinetti, Cherepanov, Anisimov, Del Zotto) produce like Gaborik does?"

BTW, welcome to the boards.

09-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRamonte10 View Post

You may find it an interesting question, but Glen Sather doesn't. His goal is to win a Stanley Cup as soon as possible and if he has to give up some prospects to get the team closer to that goal, he will absolutely do it. And he has absolutely no interest in missing the playoffs again.

We might be willing to wait and hope the prospects live up to their potential in 3-5 years, but Sather ain't getting any younger and his reputation is on the line.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 09:02 PM
NYRamonte10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
You may find it an interesting question, but Glen Sather doesn't. His goal is to win a Stanley Cup as soon as possible and if he has to give up some prospects to get the team closer to that goal, he will absolutely do it. And he has absolutely no interest in missing the playoffs again.

We might be willing to wait and hope the prospects live up to their potential in 3-5 years, but Sather ain't getting any younger and his reputation is on the line.
that's a good point... but I hope Sather doesn't think that way. If he holds out on anymore big deals, he could be seen as the guy who quietly built the Rangers up after the lockout into an every year stanley cup contender. While some people may think he has already made the Rangers a Stanley Cup Contender, they for sure have not had what it takes to win it all.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

NYRAmonte10

I wouldn't bet on that--it's been 18 years since Sather won a Stanley Cup and in all that time, only in the last two years has Sather's team made it out of the first round of the playoffs. He came to the Rangers boasting that it would be easy to build a winner and yet it took 5 years and a lockout (which forced him) to finally rebuild organization the way it should be done. And even now, the best prospects (besides Lundqvist, who developed outside the organization and Staal who's path to the NHL was not typical either) are not in the NHL yet and we have no idea whether they will even successfully make the jump into the NHL, much less fulfill their potential.

Sather would be more than happy to trade away some of the potential that's been built up in the organization for a proven player, as long he thinks it will get him closer to his final goal. And regardless of how many changes he's made this off season, I'm sure the expectation within the organization is to do at least as well as the last two years, if not better.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Selanne08*

If only Jagr was back. He was a beast in the playoffs.
But anyway, I don't think the Rangers should go after Gabby.

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 10:44 PM
NYR Viper

i would like a mix as well....i really think sather needs to start dealing some repetitive assets in order to get back some higher skill......i know people dont say that teams dont deal quantity for quality but someone elses quantity could be the rangers quality and vice versa.......players like moore, jessiman, byers, potter etc. should be dealt if the rangers dont plan on trying to give them shots at nhl spots.....with the following players most likely guarenteed a spot next season:
drury
gomez
dubinsky
dawes
fritsche
zherdev
sjostrom
voros
callahan
naslund

on offense.....and the following players pretty much guarenteed a spot for next season:
rozsival
redden
girardi
staal

on defense that doesnt leave much room for borderline 3rd liners when the rangers already have so many of them on their nhl roster and still need to make room for players with higher ceilings like cheraponov, anisimov, sauer, sanguinetti, and hillier it seems like they need to trade in order to keep the organization moving forward as those other older players are also taking up much needed ice time from younger more skilled players

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote