HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Center Ice TV/Online - & Local Blackout, MSG

Old
09-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
NHL Center Ice TV/Online - & Local Blackout, MSG

Hey Guys, pumped for this year.

Anyway I am considering getting either/both of these NHL Center Ice packages.

Sometimes I am stuck in the recording studio with internet only (NYC, Brookyln Area) is there anyway to watch NYR hockey this way.

The rest I pretty much understand.

Thanks!

Anyone have favorable/unfavorable opinions of this service?

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 08:36 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I love center ice, and have had it since 02.

Nothing like coming home from work and watching the late games and falling asleep afterwards.

The only things that suck about it are the local blackouts, which in this area means that 3 teams are gone, and VS and NBC taking up games.

Getting to watch all the different perks is great too... WJC's, CBC pre-games and After Hours, Hockey Day, Heritage classic was great too. If a team is having a banner night, you'll get to watch the event as well.

It's well worth the $150-$170 that you pay for it.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Smashley

How much is center ice online?

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:23 PM
NYR Viper

last season it was 100$ for the early bird special.......for me, in buffalo the only games that get blacked out are the ones on versus but most of the time someone on here can hook you up with a link to watch the game online for free anyways so i wouldnt worry about it....however, if you live in NYC, i would imagine all the games are shwon on MSG therefore all the games would be blacked out

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2008, 10:35 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I know that the Center Ice package is blacked out on local broadcasts, I'm not sure about CI Online...

Well, I now know the answer -- this from the NHL.com website:

Can I watch local telecasts on NHL CENTER ICE Online?
No. Local blackout restrictions apply to NHL CENTER ICE Online. In many cases, these blackouts may be broader than the blackouts for the television package. NHL CENTER ICE Online is designed to provide you access to games not involving your local team. If you want to watch your local NHL team, watch national telecasts, or watch games that are blacked out/or not available on the televised version of NHL Center Ice, do not purchase NHL CENTER ICE Online. Check the NHL.com TV listings or your local listings for the local game telecast information in your area. All schedules are subject to change.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Anyway to change IP on a mac or to get MSG online ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
I know that the Center Ice package is blacked out on local broadcasts, I'm not sure about CI Online...

Well, I now know the answer -- this from the NHL.com website:

Can I watch local telecasts on NHL CENTER ICE Online?
No. Local blackout restrictions apply to NHL CENTER ICE Online. In many cases, these blackouts may be broader than the blackouts for the television package. NHL CENTER ICE Online is designed to provide you access to games not involving your local team. If you want to watch your local NHL team, watch national telecasts, or watch games that are blacked out/or not available on the televised version of NHL Center Ice, do not purchase NHL CENTER ICE Online. Check the NHL.com TV listings or your local listings for the local game telecast information in your area. All schedules are subject to change.

Old
09-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Loto68

Get a Slingbox and you can watch anything on your TV using your computer from anywhere in the world completely legally as long as you are connected to the internet.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
Get a Slingbox and you can watch anything on your TV using your computer from anywhere in the world completely legally as long as you are connected to the internet.
wow slingbox looks really cool.
Do you have to subscribe to a service? Monthly fees??
Seems too good to be true

Old
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
AK2794

OT MSG in New Jersey

I'm looking to move to either New Brunswick or Somerville, NJ areas. I was wondering what cable providers are available either of these areas. Basically I need to know if either (or both) of New Brunswick and Somerville areas carry MSG. Any help?

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
I'm looking to move to either New Brunswick or Somerville, NJ areas. I was wondering what cable providers are available either of these areas. Basically I need to know if either (or both) of New Brunswick and Somerville areas carry MSG. Any help?
New Brunswick def. does (optimum cable). I would assume Somerville does as well, but can't confirm.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 03:29 PM
ogie

my brother lives around Princeton which is like 7A on the turnpike and he has MSG on his cable... i think it is Optimum.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
rangermoe

I'm also not sure about Somerville, but I do know that Fios has it, (and it's in Somerville) I know Cablevision(which is Optimum) and Comcast carry it in my area (Essex County) so I would imagine that you can get it.

rangermoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
blue2noise

Shut that laptop off and work the board! Engineer's creed!

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 08:57 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
Somerville is now Comcast (they recently bought Patriot Media). Comcast carries both MSG (no MSG HD) and Versus (because they own the network).

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2008, 10:46 PM
AK2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Somerville is now Comcast (they recently bought Patriot Media). Comcast carries both MSG (no MSG HD) and Versus (because they own the network).
Wow thanks for the heads up, New Brunswick looks a lot more attractive all of a sudden

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 02:47 AM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
wow slingbox looks really cool.
Do you have to subscribe to a service? Monthly fees??
Seems too good to be true
Nope, all you do is hook the box up to your Cable box and your Router then sit there and go through the configuration steps. After the initial payment for the box you don't pay any additional service.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Nope, all you do is hook the box up to your Cable box and your Router then sit there and go through the configuration steps. After the initial payment for the box you don't pay any additional service.
But, you still have to subscribe to CI if you're going to sling it from your cable box.

I just got my automatic renewal letter, $159 early bird. Couldn't live without it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:11 AM
NYRangerfn09

I go to to school in Buffalo and have an apartment, if I buy center ice would I able to watch all of the Rangers games as long as they are not playing the sabres or on VS/NBC? I am just cautious because I know the sabres play on "MSG" up here and I don't want all the Ranger games to get blacked out. Anyone use center ice in Buffalo to confirm it would work? Also do they usually have pre-season games or any HD?

NYRangerfn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 02:29 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerfn09 View Post
I go to to school in Buffalo and have an apartment, if I buy center ice would I able to watch all of the Rangers games as long as they are not playing the sabres or on VS/NBC? I am just cautious because I know the sabres play on "MSG" up here and I don't want all the Ranger games to get blacked out. Anyone use center ice in Buffalo to confirm it would work? Also do they usually have pre-season games or any HD?
I would call someone at Center Ice to make sure you're not in the blackout range, since some games are carried locally there.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 03:53 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 85
I read that msg will be showing preseason games against mettalurg etc. has anyone heard if CI will be showing these games as well?

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:46 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
I'm moving down south for a few months and obviously have the issue of being able to watch games. I've heard things about slingbox being so great. I've heard that a) there is no fee to use it, just a one time fee when you buy it, and b) that you can control the on/off switch of your tv that you get the feed from. Can somebody confirm this?

Also, if slingbox doesn't work out or is more expensive, I would be wiling to order center ice online to be able to watch. I was wondering if anybody can discuss the quality of the feed...and because I will be working a lot of nights I may miss the live feed of some games...is there a way to watch archives games (hours later) like you can with MLB.tv? Thanks

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:05 AM
pavvento

If you have a cable box in your home that won't be touched by a roommate or something Slingbox is the way to go. I moved out to San Francisco last year and I don't have to pay a dime to watch the Rangers, Yankees, and Jets (I don't have to pay a dime after the initial $140).

IMHO this is better than Center Ice IF you are only interested in watching the Rangers. If you want to watch all of the teams I'd get Center Ice for the Cable and then just sling it. The image quality is far and away the best I've seen on a computer, and if you have a DVR you can control it fully.

It would cost me over $400 a year to subscribe to sports packages that I got for a one time payment of $140. Plus, if you have a Symbian or WinMo phone you can sling onto your phone.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
If you have a cable box in your home that won't be touched by a roommate or something Slingbox is the way to go. I moved out to San Francisco last year and I don't have to pay a dime to watch the Rangers, Yankees, and Jets (I don't have to pay a dime after the initial $140).

IMHO this is better than Center Ice IF you are only interested in watching the Rangers. If you want to watch all of the teams I'd get Center Ice for the Cable and then just sling it. The image quality is far and away the best I've seen on a computer, and if you have a DVR you can control it fully.

It would cost me over $400 a year to subscribe to sports packages that I got for a one time payment of $140. Plus, if you have a Symbian or WinMo phone you can sling onto your phone.
Thanks. What about turning the TV on and/or switching channels remotely? Obviously I'd want to watch MSG, FSNY, MSG2 for Rangers, Fox usually for Giants...It wouldn't be difficult to tell someone here to turn on the TV and switch the channels for me every couple days, but it would be easier to do it myself...

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 01:08 AM
pavvento

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
Thanks. What about turning the TV on and/or switching channels remotely? Obviously I'd want to watch MSG, FSNY, MSG2 for Rangers, Fox usually for Giants...It wouldn't be difficult to tell someone here to turn on the TV and switch the channels for me every couple days, but it would be easier to do it myself...
You tape two sensors onto your cable box (they're discreet) and connect them to the slingbox. Then when you set up the software you tell it what kind of Cable Box you have and it configures the 'remote control.' On your computer screen you'll see a remote control and you use that to control your cablebox. Absolutely anything you can do from sitting in front of your cable box you can do with the Sling Box.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Does Center Ice do what the baseball package does...with a channel that airs 2 games each night in HD?

I have Brighthouse Cable down here in Tampa

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote