HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vancouver's dilemma

Old
09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
timorousme
luongod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
im going by what there team is right now. And right now they did not gain anything and lost leadership. thats a big thing too. I really cant see Vancouver going out to get anyone other than Sundin still.. They should be saving the money to sign the Sedin twins and Luongo and get a high draft pick next year.
the sedin raise will be small and probably covered by the cap increase. they really strike me as the least likely to chase money. luongo is still a couple of years away from his contract expiring, so wouldn't it smarter to build a successful contender to convince him to stay over throwing gobs of money to keep him on a sinking ship?

yeah we lost linden's leadership, but we also lost naslund's too, so it evens out.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
You're kidding right?

Did you honestly just say goal differential has no bearing on determining the quality of a team? I always hear people on HF say "that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard" but in this instance it's actually legit. Think about your reply and get back to me. Too funny.
Agreed. Without the shootout points, edmonton would have been no where near the canucks last season. Edmonton might have been one of the best shootout teams last year, but they don't use shootouts in the playoffs. As a team, vancouver was better than edmonton and will be better than them again this year.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
huntison

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I agree to a point. Would I prefer Selanne and Sundin to Demitra and Sundin? Absolutely! However, the idea of having a Selanne and Demitra combo holds little interest for me. Yes, Demitra can play center but I really think we need to have a big presence up the middle (or on the wing) and Demitra himself said he plays better with a big a body on his line.

I just think the Canucks have never filled the void left by Bertuzzi. We need a big, skilled top six guy but that's just my opinion.
Who do you suggest we trade for? and what do we give up to get them?

huntison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 06:33 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I agree to a point. Would I prefer Selanne and Sundin to Demitra and Sundin? Absolutely! However, the idea of having a Selanne and Demitra combo holds little interest for me. Yes, Demitra can play center but I really think we need to have a big presence up the middle (or on the wing) and Demitra himself said he plays better with a big a body on his line.
I think the problem is that Demitra is a playmaking winger, which is why a playmaking center is less likely to pan out. By the same token, if our second line had Demitra (before going to Minnesota he had something like 436 points in 419 games) and Selanne (back to back 40/90 point seasons before last year) on the wings... It doesn't really matter who the center is. It's not ideal; I would also prefer a biggish center who can score like Sundin, but a Demitra/Selanne combo ain't a bad plan B.

Doesn't really matter, because Selanne isn't coming here - this is all just theoretical.

Quote:
I just think the Canucks have never filled the void left by Bertuzzi. We need a big, skilled top six guy but that's just my opinion.
I don't think size is so much the problem as grit. Size gives you the ability to crash around, and be strong on the puck. The Sedins are unbelievably strong on the puck, they're just finesse players and not crash and bang. If you watch their positioning when they have the puck, very infrequently is there a defender with any sort of angle to get at the puck - they're always using themselves to block them. They play larger than they are without being gritty.

That being said, the amount of legit top-6 players with grit and heart that are available? Zero. Every team wants them. Regardless of what we need, we have to play with the cards we're dealt, and if Bernier is the only player we have filling that role, that's not so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Agreed. Without the shootout points, edmonton would have been no where near the canucks last season. Edmonton might have been one of the best shootout teams last year, but they don't use shootouts in the playoffs. As a team, vancouver was better than edmonton and will be better than them again this year.
Without shootout points, Edmonton would have been 3rd last in the league, 2 points behind LA and Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
There's a lot of players that we COULD trade for that would fill that need, but the cost would be so steep that I probably wouldn't do it myself. Two years down the road we won't have that need, because Hank/Kes will be around and we'll have Hodgson/White ready.. and a bottom 6 center is easy to find, relative to 1 through 3.

If we have ZERO prospects for Center, I would do what I could to trade for Jeff Carter (Edler+mid to late 1st?) or a player of similar size/style, but with two good center prospects a few years away? The need is for a 2 year window, not for long term, and overpaying to get someone who might not fit into the 2-3 year plan doesn't make sense.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 06:40 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
seriously.

I have only like 200 posts but I think I only have half of a brain.
Keep posting

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntison View Post
I suggest we trade for a player that best suits our needs and give up a player from a position of depth and strength.

How's that?

There are lots of players that would suit the role and lots of assets that we could give up. I'm not a GM or an insider though, so I don't know who is available and what the price is for them.

That's why Gillis gets payed the big bucks.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
I can't understand why anyone thinks intelligence level is based on post count.

My personal feeling is that anybody who has more than a few thousand posts on this board needs to go outside for a change, and get a life.

09-04-2008, 08:10 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
My personal feeling is that anybody who has more than a few thousand posts on this board needs to go outside for a change, and get a life.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
That's funny. Hey, what can we expect from Rob Davison?

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

Quote:
says the dude with 27 thousand some odd posts

no seriously though, not to sidebar to bad but i just find it ludicrous when people think "oh well he has a ton of posts so he must know what he is talking about." There is a lot of posters on here who have lots of posts but nothing of significant value to say and there is a lot of posters who don't have many posts but most of them are thoughtful and insightful as well as carefully thought out. Thats not to say those two examples are the standard though.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Your brand of humor ain't a welcome around these parts pardner.... or so it would seem

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Vancouver is easily the worst team in the Northwest, they were last year and they didn't get any better in the offseason.
I'm going to say that not having to play the 15th d-man on the teams depth chart (due to injuries) will likely help them make the playoffs. Also, we were in 8th place before Luongo's wife started having major issues in her pregnancy.

Call it excuses if you want, missing 8 d-men in your depth chart in one stretch will make it hard to win.

And I hope you realize that having your wife being hospitalized with a difficult pregnancy will affect your game.

Finally, I haven't seen one team in the NW get significantly better. Peharps the Oilers; Minny and Calgary both lost their 2nd best forwards and Colorado lost its starting goalie.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Jovanovski.

Not that I disagree with your overall point.
Jovo wanted to stay. He bled Canuck colours. That guy had the biggest heart on the entire team. He'd always stand up for everyone and try his best.

It just made more sense to sign Willie Mitchell to build the team around Luongo, whose contract also pushed Jovanovski off the team. I really wish we had made room for him, though...there just wasn't any space. We'd have an even bigger log jam on defense, and Edler probably wouldn't have gotten a chance with us.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnonis View Post
That's funny. Hey, what can we expect from Rob Davison?

I liked him. I think he is perfectly solid third pairing guy. Doesn't have a lot of talent but willing to get involved. Should be a nice asset, particularly in the playoffs.

I would have liked to see the Isles resign him.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
says the dude with 27 thousand some odd posts

no seriously though, not to sidebar to bad but i just find it ludicrous when people think "oh well he has a ton of posts so he must know what he is talking about." There is a lot of posters on here who have lots of posts but nothing of significant value to say and there is a lot of posters who don't have many posts but most of them are thoughtful and insightful as well as carefully thought out. Thats not to say those two examples are the standard though.
What those of us with a lots of posts know that the newbies don't is just some of the rules of interacting here. Some of us have been posting with each other for five or six years, so we know when to back off etc.

But, as far as knowing more about hockey, of course not. In fact, I probably know less than I used to. I can be on this board all day long because I write for a living and it is just a background thing. But, honestly, I have little time to sit in front of a TV and watch games.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

Quote:
What those of us with a lots of posts know that the newbies don't is just some of the rules of interacting here. Some of us have been posting with each other for five or six years, so we know when to back off etc.

But, as far as knowing more about hockey, of course not. In fact, I probably know less than I used to. I can be on this board all day long because I write for a living and it is just a background thing. But, honestly, I have little time to sit in front of a TV and watch games.
I would hope knowing when to back off etc and what not should be common sense but it doesnt seem like it sometimes, most people on here don't really have much respect for the majority of other fan bases.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:11 AM
voxel

Vancouver had an extremely lucky 06-07 season (too many OT/SO wins like the Oilers in 07-08) and an extremely unlucky 07-08 season... so they are a borderline playoff team at best with a slew of UFAs coming up. All moves they made during this offseason were lateral.

Short-term, they could try to load up, trade their picks, and make a run... Sundin + Murray + etc.. or sell at the trade deadline and rebuild.

With their contract situation, I think they should trade picks + prospects and try to make a decent run. But right now, they aren't good enough.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Attica

Send a message via MSN to Attica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
... The Vancouver Canucks are not going to be tanking the season. I would actually expect them to be in the playoffs before Edmonton/Chicago and all the other new fad teams out this year.

The Sedins are expected to ask for around 5.5 each, which is only about 3.5 combined over their current salary.
Ohlund took a hometown discount last time, I assume he will do so again.
Luongo, actually all goalies, will not be making 7-8 Million dollars.

The only player on that team who should be moved, because they are overpaid and not very good, is Kevin "HFBoards most overrated player" Bieksa.
Luongo already makes 6.75 per year, and you think a 250,000 raise is completely out of the question?

Give your head a shake, if Luongo has a good year next year, I can easily see a team throwing a 10 million dollar offer at him.

Attica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:07 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
I'm going to say that not having to play the 15th d-man on the teams depth chart (due to injuries) will likely help them make the playoffs. Also, we were in 8th place before Luongo's wife started having major issues in her pregnancy.

Call it excuses if you want, missing 8 d-men in your depth chart in one stretch will make it hard to win.

And I hope you realize that having your wife being hospitalized with a difficult pregnancy will affect your game.

Finally, I haven't seen one team in the NW get significantly better. Peharps the Oilers; Minny and Calgary both lost their 2nd best forwards and Colorado lost its starting goalie.
I could not agree more to wen it come to Luango. What a tallented goalie. You guys robed the bank on this one.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
I liked him. I think he is perfectly solid third pairing guy. Doesn't have a lot of talent but willing to get involved. Should be a nice asset, particularly in the playoffs.

I would have liked to see the Isles resign him.
thanks

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:32 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Vancouver had an extremely lucky 06-07 season (too many OT/SO wins like the Oilers in 07-08) and an extremely unlucky 07-08 season... so they are a borderline playoff team at best with a slew of UFAs coming up. All moves they made during this offseason were lateral.

Short-term, they could try to load up, trade their picks, and make a run... Sundin + Murray + etc.. or sell at the trade deadline and rebuild.

With their contract situation, I think they should trade picks + prospects and try to make a decent run. But right now, they aren't good enough.

first of all, it's not a "slew" of players hitting UFA status, it's *some* of the players are hitting UFA status (the complete list is: Daniel and Henrik, Ohlund, Cowan, Burrows, Pyatt, Pettinger, Davison and Sanford). Most teams have that many players hitting UFA status every year - and for most teams, most of those guys sign before hitting UFA status.

The only actual key players there are the Sedins and Ohlund - and all 3 of them have stated plenty of times that they want to remain in Vancouver - the Sedins have even gone on record saying they will take less to stay in Vancouver, and Barry (their agent) has already suggested $5.5mill each would get it done.

Pyatt and Pettinger can be replaced... they are 3rd/4th liners now and may be replaced from within (particularly Hansen who should be ready to step up this season)... Burrows could be re-signed as well, but again can be replaced... Cowan and Sanford are afterthoughts.

I think what a lot of fans look at is the standings and conclude the canucks must be a bad team... they couldn't make it to the playoffs with Luongo and the Sedins, so why not rebuild everything?? This logic though doesn't make sense when you consider the roster and the injuries last year which was the key reason why they missed the playoffs... break down their roster though - and this team isn't one that needs to be rebuilt, but to fill the missing pieces... if *any* team in the league though losses the man-games on defense that the canucks did, they'd miss the playoffs too... but overall roster right now?

Goaltending - check... no change needed to be a top competitor.

Defense - check - a defense of Ohlund, Salo, Mitchell, Bieksa, Edler and Krajicek is as good a 1 through 6 as there is in the league.

Offense:
1st line - check - the Sedins are proven 70-80 pt guys, and have proven that without anyone as good as Bernier on their wings before... is 90 points such a huge stretch?? they were at over 80 pts with Pyatt as their full time winger 2 seasons ago. They are legitimate 1st line producers in the NHL.

2nd line - big weakness - Demitra and Raymond are there, but they are missing a key piece on that line (and Wellwood isn't it!)... this is the one (and only) roster spot that is holding them back right now.

3rd line - solid - Kesler was top 10 in Selke voting last year, and along with Burrows had a solid season at both ends of the ice last year. Throw in Pyatt (or even Hansen) on their wings, and that's a solid 3rd line capable of being one of the better shutdown lines in the league, and one of the more productive 3rd lines at the same time!

4th line - solid - Johnson was top 20 in Selke voting last year, and is one of the better players in the league in faceoffs and on the PK. Also with Pettinger, and whoever on the other wing (Hordichuk, Hansen, Cowan, etc), it's as solid a 4th line as there is in the league.

Looking over their roster, where's the weaknesses?? The 2nd line (center spot, as Demitra is better on the wing) is the one big hole on this team... if Sundin did sign in Vancouver, how are they not a legitimate contender with the rest of the pieces in that lineup?

A team with one hole - even a big glaring one like the canucks have - isn't in a situation that needs to be rebuilt - they need to find the right piece to fill that hole. It's not like they need to add defenders, or other top 6 players, or rebuild their bottom 6. Or find that franchise goalie!

The canucks are a lot closer than many fans think... and seeing 3 key players hit UFA status after this year - while all 3 of them have stated *many, many* times that they don't want to play anywhere else - is not a reason to change over this roster.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica View Post
Luongo already makes 6.75 per year, and you think a 250,000 raise is completely out of the question?

Give your head a shake, if Luongo has a good year next year, I can easily see a team throwing a 10 million dollar offer at him.
Luongo isn't going to get 10 million a year... Not when Brodeur is making roughly half that and Lundqvist JUST signed for 6.875. Seven and a half maybe.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:44 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Luongo isn't going to get 10 million a year... Not when Brodeur is making roughly half that and Lundqvist JUST signed for 6.875. Seven and a half maybe.
you're ignoring the impact that the salary cap has on offers.

The salary cap has greatly increased since Luongo signed his deal... at the time of the deal he became the highest paid goalie in the league (along with Khabibulin)... when Luongo is able to field offers for his next contract, the cap could be in a different situation, and comparing what he could make to what Brodeur signed for ($5.2mill cap hit in 06/07) makes no sense.

Everyone knows that Brodeur is the best goalie in the game... but since he signed that contract, Luongo, Khabibulin, Lundqvist, Huet, Nabakov, Gigeure, Vokoun and Turco have all signed contracts which has exceeded that $5.2mill number (in some cases significantly!).

Just because Brodeur signed in 06 for $5.2mill didn't seem to have any effect on Huet signed for more than that this offseason - and he's no where near the goalie that Brodeur is, and everyone knows it!

In 2 seasons, would it really be surprising seeing a team throw $10mill at Luongo? This season the canucks threw $10mill at Sundin, and if the cap goes up again, it makes it even more possible for Luongo to get that kind of an offer...

my guess is that if Luongo makes it to UFA status, he'll get a $9mill offer easily... he's considered a franchise player, in a position that many teams would love to upgrade on - such as Colorado (who'll have tons of cap space, and always seem to go after big players).

I'm hoping that the canucks lock him up before that though - rather see the canucks lock up $9mill of their salary cap towards Luongo, then see him go to the Avs or any other team for that matter!

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post

I would say this is a fair assesment from an outside fan, but it's a little too pessimistic. During our 'extremely unlucky' season, we tied for 9th and missed the playoffs by 4 points. That was a borderline playoff team. During our 'extremely lucky' season we had a 10 point cushion on our playoff spot. So the half way inbetween Canucks should fall comfortably into a playoff spot. As for UFA's, Ohlund should be a sure fire re-sign, he's always been loyal to the franchise. Most Canuck fans would think the same with the Sedins but we don't have the history to back it up.

As for rebuild vs stock up though, Nonis was just fired because with the owner saying missing the plyoffs 2 out of 3 season is unacceptable. While I don't agree with it, considering the presedence the new guy is going to try and make the playoffs.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Street Hawk

Goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica View Post

$10 million? Look around the league at the recent goalie signings and their cap hits.

Lundqvist got a shade under 7 million per year.
Giguere got 6 million per year
Miller got 6 million per year
Kipper got a shade under 6 million per year
Huet got 5.4 million per year (not in the same league of course)

I can't see a team going higher than 8 million to land Luongo. If you sign him for 10, is he really 40% better than Lundqvist in New York?

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote