HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Grade Bob Gainey's 5 Year Plan

View Poll Results: Gainey's 5 Year GM Grade
A+ 41 12.50%
A 109 33.23%
A- 101 30.79%
B+ 53 16.16%
B 10 3.05%
B- 5 1.52%
C 3 0.91%
D 0 0%
F 1 0.30%
The Jury is Still Out 5 1.52%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

vCash: 500
B at best this team has underachieved during the playoffs, hopefully this year they can rectify that

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:39 AM
1UP

A+

From bottom dweller with no future to a team that looks like it will be contending for 5-6 years. Without tanking. While playing with the cap better than most GMs (only being equalled by Ken Holland), not falling into the huge contract trap most other GM end up into, so he has a possible 1st seed team with 6 millions to spare.

I cannot give him anything less than A+. Over 95%.

I see, as mistakes, only 2. Niinimaa, and Samsonov. But Niinimaa was a fantastic player when Gainey was in Dallas (he was in Edm), and Samsonov was supposed to bolster our offense greatly.

Both were epic fail, but when Gainey fails, he always gives himself a way out. Both didn't hurt our team much. And it seems that without Ribeiro, we have better chemistry in the room.

He did what was required of him. Whether or not the team wins the cup is in Carbo and the player's hands.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
B at best this team has underachieved during the playoffs, hopefully this year they can rectify that
How about Pittsburgh last year. Lost in the first round. Would you call them chokers?

If anything, Montreal overachieved in the playoffs. No mater what they say, it wasn't the year to go all-in. It was Pittsburgh time. This year is our year. The big ufa will ours. I can't wait to know it'll be.

A.

I'm sure Bob is a great chess player. Everything was planned so well. The team will peak for the 100th season.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

B+.
The rebuilding process has been awesome. Now, we need to be a real contender come play off time. Finding the missing pieces is always a tough job, but I'm sure Bob will.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 03:42 AM
snakeye

A.

He let Ribeiro go for nothing.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 04:55 AM
rocketlives

B+

He has built an interesting and very competitive team. This team however still hasn't delivered the goods when it counts. It has not won 2 rounds of playoffs any given year during BG's tenure. I hope it'll happen this centennial year. And, if we can win 2 rounds, why not 4?

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 05:03 AM
TCIH

D-

Koivu barely even speaks french.

Seriously though, voted A-.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 05:20 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
A.

Why? Because look at where we are today, in our 100th year centennial with a good fighting chance to win the cup. You don't thank McDonalds or Chucky Cheese for getting us this far, Bob Gainey is a master mind of his own, a major thinker and a great off-ice playmaker. Why did I give an A? Because We have a Solid Team Offensively, Defensive, and in Nets (especially in nets).

I'll venture into giving the A+ if and when the following happen:
We win The Stanley Cup
We come in first in the conference 2nd year in a row.
We acquire a Franchise forward or Defender (need more of a forward though), Price is a franchise goalie, but we would be the ultimate team if we had a Gaborik, Lecavalier, Spezza, Malkin etc.... So if Gainey can acqure someone like this through trade, or Draft then we are quite possibly the best team in the NHL.

That is my 2 cents.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 05:47 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

A-

He took a team with no farm, no identity, no direction, no soul, no nothing.

5 years later we are contenders, and while we're contenders we also have a bunch of kids (Kostystin brothers, Latendresse, Lapierre, Halak, Price, Gorges, O'Byrne) ready to play a big role in the Habs success for a VERY long time... on the side the McDonagh, Pacioretti, Wever, Maxwell, Subban, Valentenko are waiting to join that group...

whenever we say we're contenders or we have a very good team... it's finally true!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 05:51 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
If you count the lost year to the lockout, you're right. Since there was no hockey that year, this would be his 5th season.
You're right although with these semantics we might derail this thread into a similar 99 or 100 years debate. Since personnel moves (AHL level) and drafting and the like took place over the span of 5 years, for the purpose of this thread let's say he's been active on the job for 5 complete years.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Compare the roster he started with including propects. You will realize how far we have truly come as a franchise under his guidance. Savard and Timmins deserve alot of credit aswell but I would give Gainey an A.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 07:54 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
He was hired in May 2003 prior to the draft in Nashville where he was in attendance but Andre Savard and the newly hired Trevor Timmons conducted the draft because Gainey had come from the Dallas organization and was not allowed to sit at the Montreal table. So the 2008-09 season will be his 6th with 5 already in the books. Right?
Was Gainey really hired in May of 2003? How can we be sure? I'm going to use all my research skills to figure this out. We need to know the truth!!! I'm a huge fan of this team, and I'm not trying to ruin anybody's fun, I just love history and research and need to find the facts to prove that last season was Gainey's fifth season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
You're right although with these semantics we might derail this thread into a similar 99 or 100 years debate.
Oh, never mind.

I think that Gainey's patience and prudence, combined with help of guys like Savard (for a while) and Timmins has reshaped this team in a way I couldn't have anticipated. The whole goal of the "plan", was to build a team that can contend for the Stanley Cup in the centennial season. I think he's succeeded. I give the managerial staff an A for their success. A+ if Koivu's hoisting the cup in June.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Bullsmith

A. If he were to retire, almost any other GM in the league would feel like a step down. Not to say there aren't other great GMs, but I very very much like the one we've got.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:55 AM
THE HOFF

the samsonov signing, although I thought it was a good one too at first...

the ribeiro trade ; not about trading ribeiro, but the niinimaa return wasn't fantastic, to say the least.

the missed ''hossa'' trade, which resulted in price having to be in nets for the rest of the season. ( given that hedberg was supposed to come the other way).

but besides that, what a job he has been doing with us.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Trexim

A big part of GM is asset management. He's done a fabulous job on that part. Keeping good useful prospect is one thing, trading good but expendable prospects/players for future picks is wicked. Of course, it all started with drafting good players.

Trexim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Knuckles30

I voted that the jury is still out. While I think Bob has done an incredible job so far, the goal of his 5 year plan was to create a team that contends every year. If the Habs can follow up last year's effort with a similar result this year, then I would give an A+. If they squeek into the playoffs and get eliminated in the first round, then probably a D.

To me, winning the Cup would be icing on the cake, but I want a team that can win consistantly (i.e. Detroit) over a 1 year wonder (i.e. Tampa).

Knuckles30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:12 PM
brownman*

He dug us out of a hole that I never want to experience again so for that he gets an A+.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:21 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I'd like to hear what the user who chose C has to say...
He doesn't communicate in a conventional manner, his vocabulary is made up of chirping and whistling noises.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 12:55 PM
NewHabsEra*

In fact the 5 years plan was annonced by Boivin 7-8 years ago.. It tooks a bit longer than expected but now we are just in.. Boivin is the one that wanted to increase the quality and quantity of young players growing in the org, he hired the best persons at the right moment.. As for Gainey, he just kept managing inside that phylosophy that was to not touch our young core for immediate help.. I believed In that plan as soon as it came out from Boivin's mouth and thats why I was so passionated about the kids we were drafting since 2001, I couldnt stand the Perreault Savage Dykhuis Traverse Dackell Sundstrom.. of this world anymore.

Now, all I have to do is appreciate the team in place and watch the show Habs fans deserve.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Shaun_W_W

Honestly as a leaf fan I look at how Gainey and JFJ came in to similar teams at about the same time(at that time I think our team was slightly better but thats not important) and look how your team is so deep and skilled and Toronto still has such a long way to go makes me jelous. I give him an A.
ps. nobody can really blame him for Samsonov because 95% of people thought it was a great move at the time.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 02:02 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I think an A is about right. Go to the Finals and get the A+

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Dark4ng3l

He gats an A from me. If the Samsonov signing is his worst move then you can tell how good Bob has been for the club. He only signed him for 2 years and managed to get rid of him in the off season.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I'd like to hear what the user who chose C has to say...
Actually I voted C as well before reading the thread.

1) I love Bob Gainey, did as a player, and think he is in the top 3 among NHL GMs.
2) I don't believe in all this + / - BS, that's for schoolkids. Let the letters mean what they mean.

A = Stanley Cup <---- this is the only way to get an A !!!
B = Conference Finals <---- I dub this the "Senators standard"
C = Winning a playoff series <---- we're still here
D = Just making the dance. <----- we were pretty much on the border when he came

FAIL = 9th place or lower. <---- been there, done that. Happened a couple years ago in fact.

I don't for a second buy into the "look where we were before" argument, for 2 reasons. First because some of the prospects / youth he inherited from Savard have become strong players.... hard to credit BG for that.

But more importantly, 5 years is enough time to take the most garbage-filled, underperforming, no-talent squad and turn it around. That's my standard for an average NHL GM. If you can't do that - well, it's AHL or Director of Player Personal for you. Any qualified NHL GM can go from FAIL to B or C in 5 years.

For the record, I consider this coming year #5, so let's hope we can revisit this in June and award the A !!

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Roo

I selected B. I think that he could have made a few better decisions, but overall, he's been really good for you guys.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Dark4ng3l

He gats an A from me. If the Samsonov signing is his worst move then you can tell how good Bob has been for the club. He only signed him for 2 years and managed to get rid of him in the off season.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote