HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mats Sundin-Part XII-The Chapter After the Last

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Mad Habber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Anyone else think we should just go forward and maybe acquire Lang or someone similar to round out the team for training camp.
What for?

As of right now, we have one spot left for someone to try and hook on. Chipchura, D'Agostini, Paccioretti, even Dandenault, Kostopoulos, Begin, Lapierre and others need to earn that one spot. If Sundin comes in early to mis December, then Gainey can make a decision then. Besides, it'll cost less since his salary will probably be pro rated

Old
09-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Move forward with the current line-up, hopefully a 3rd line center emerges, if not trade for one at the deadline. Basically same thing as previous poster said. The good thing about the current line-up is that it stands on its own, and Gainey can be as patient as he wants. He'll have to no problems heading into the season with the current roster and just wait for an opportunity to present itself.

When it comes to Sundin, you gotta know when to fold'em.

Last edited by Nashy: 09-04-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old
09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Judge Sauer*

As far as I'm concerned, it's Sundin or someone better. I don't feel like Gainey should get Lang, just because he's an easy target.

Old
09-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Round Pick View Post
As far as I'm concerned, it's Sundin or someone better. I don't feel like Gainey should get Lang, just because he's an easy target.
And I feel that the organization do think we're so close for being a real contender, that they won't risk losing important pieces of their actual team. Then it leaves you with interesting prospects for roster players and my opinion is that the org. is not willing to part with the most important prospects that could fetch a great return like MaxPac or McDo. I just don't believe that the others might have that kind of power. if Ryan White. Weber, Emelin or Carle would, I wouldn't hesitate one second but I just don't believe they could be that attractive, at least to get something really significant.

I believe we'll concentrate in getting an interesting 3rd line centerman if we don't feel Lapierre or Chipchura can do the job.

Old
09-05-2008, 12:07 AM
LastRide

Its time to forget about Sundin and move on. It looks like he won't be making a decision well into the season if he plays at all. Gainey needs to find someone to fill the hole for Sundin and stop looking at only one player and find an alternative.

Old
09-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And I feel that the organization do think we're so close for being a real contender, that they won't risk losing important pieces of their actual team. Then it leaves you with interesting prospects for roster players and my opinion is that the org. is not willing to part with the most important prospects that could fetch a great return like MaxPac or McDo. I just don't believe that the others might have that kind of power. if Ryan White. Weber, Emelin or Carle would, I wouldn't hesitate one second but I just don't believe they could be that attractive, at least to get something really significant.

I believe we'll concentrate in getting an interesting 3rd line centerman if we don't feel Lapierre or Chipchura can do the job.
The great thing is they will be in the AHL now. Their value will increase a lot, just in time to get this year's Hossa.

I know we all love Pacioretty, but he might be the deal breaker. I wonder if Gainey will trade Iginla once again...

Old
09-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
The great thing is they will be in the AHL now. Their value will increase a lot, just in time to get this year's Hossa.

I know we all love Pacioretty, but he might be the deal breaker. I wonder if Gainey will trade Iginla once again...
Don't get me wrong, Iginla rocks but how many Cups have Calgary won since that trade?

If Pac is the cost of getting a Cup this year I'm all for it.

Old
09-05-2008, 07:44 AM
ThePriceisRight

Sundin a poor leader per Wilson?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...69891-sun.html

Old
09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post

I know I keep saying it's not who you trade, it's who you get in return but right now.....MaxPac is pretty much an untouchable as far as I'm concerned 'cause his potential is pretty rare in this league, rare as far as the ability to be a good power forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceisRight View Post
Just wow.....I mean Sundin and Toskala were the sole reasons why the Leafs were in this race towards the end.....Sundin took this less than average team on his shoulders and gave a good show on his own. But there's a limit to what a player can do...

I guess Wilson didn't watch too much of those Toronto games....I call this BS...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-05-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old
09-05-2008, 08:57 AM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceisRight View Post
that will set the tone in the leaf love land

Old
09-05-2008, 09:00 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd be pissed if I was a Leaf fan. Aside from the obvious.

Sundin said he wanted to win the cup from October onwards, if he doesn't decide by that and comes mid-season. He's a hypocrite and cost the Leafs valuable rebuilding assets.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Sundin said he wanted to win the cup from October onwards, if he doesn't decide by that and comes mid-season. He's a hypocrite and cost the Leafs valuable rebuilding assets.
A lot of Leaf fans in my area are saying the same thing. They've lost a lot of respect for him.

Atleast that's what I think they're saying. It's hard to tell because I'm usually laughing and pointing at them once I find out they are Leaf fans.

09-05-2008, 09:22 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
A lot of Leaf fans in my area are saying the same thing. They've lost a lot of respect for him.

Atleast that's what I think they're saying. It's hard to tell because I'm usually laughing and pointing at them once I find out they are Leaf fans.
And then they switch hats and are like OMGZ I WAS A PITTSBURGH FAN 4EVA.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:

If Leafs fans want to be pissed at someone, it should be their GM...Sundin had a NTC, it was his right to refuse to get traded.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Round Pick View Post
Someone better than Sundin will suddenly appear on the trading radar? I took this for a hockey forum, not the Disney Channel.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:26 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
If Leafs fans want to be pissed at someone, it should be their GM...Sundin had a NTC, it was his right to refuse to get traded.
Yes, it was his right. But he chose to say why and now he's becoming a hypocrite. If he hadn't have said anything at all people would have more respect for him than they do now since he's gone back on his word.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And then they switch hats and are like OMGZ I WAS A PITTSBURGH FAN 4EVA.
I've actually seen a lot of people wearing Pittsburgh stuff this year. So that's a pretty good assumption on your part.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was his right. But he chose to say why and now he's becoming a hypocrite. If he hadn't have said anything at all people would have more respect for him than they do now since he's gone back on his word.
He had to give a reason why because someone with the Leafs leaked out to the media that he refused to waive his NTC...Sundin was hung out to dry by the Leafs, so he had to come up with a 'honourable' reason as to why he didn't waive it.

I NEVER believed it when he said that he didn't want to be traded because he wanted to be part of a team from training camp through the playoffs, it was so easy to see i'm surprised most people actually believed that, it didn't make any sense.

Someone who has a NTC, shouldn't have to give a reason as to why he refused to waive it.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He had to give a reason why because someone with the Leafs leaked out to the media that he refused to waive his NTC...Sundin was hung out to dry by the Leafs, so he had to come up with a 'honourable' reason as to why he didn't waive it.

I NEVER believed it when he said that he didn't want to be traded because he wanted to be part of a team from training camp through the playoffs, it was so easy to see i'm surprised most people actually believed that, it didn't make any sense.

Someone who has a NTC, shouldn't have to give a reason as to why he refused to waive it.
Well neither did Sundin, but since he did. I can definitely see why people are coming out now and calling him a hypocrite.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:35 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
I've actually seen a lot of people wearing Pittsburgh stuff this year. So that's a pretty good assumption on your part.
Yeah, I see it here too. ****ing disgusting.

Quote:

No, he shouldn't. But he did. He obviously brain farted when he thought of his excuse then, because it was going to get exposed sooner or later. If he didn't want to tarnish his legacy in Toronto, he certainly has done so and he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

Quote:
Well neither did Sundin, but since he did. I can definitely see why people are coming out now and calling him a hypocrite.
H10H coming out to bat for his little bro!

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old
09-05-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah I agree...but come on man, looking back now. Was his 'reason' really that believable?

What player who has played in the NHL for 17 years, has never won a Cup, has never even come close, hasn't been to the playoffs in 4 years, would refuse a chance to win a Cup because he wanted to feel like he contributed to the team from the beginning of training camp until the end of their season?

Forget the Cup for a second...I mean, Sundin hasn't seen the playoffs since 2004 and he had a chance to do at least that. He didn't waive his NTC probably because he just didn't feel like playing, if you all remember, Sundin shut it down 4 or 5 games before the end of the season and is still undecided about playing...

Quote:
Yes, I agree...he is a hypocrite. I just don't get why people are calling him a hypocrite now when it was obvious he was one waaaayyy back in February.

When this whole Sundin saga started I remember getting in a few heated arguments with some posters here because I questionned Sundin's will to win and I questionned whether or not I even wanted him on the Habs.

While I won't lie, I think he'd make a wonderful addition to the Habs, I've always said that Sundin was grossly overrated as a player...he's a guy who has gotten used to losing and just generally doesn't seem that interested in playing hockey much less winning anything of significance in the NHL.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-05-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah I agree...but come on man, looking back now. Was his 'reason' really that believable?

What player who has played in the NHL for 17 years, has never won a Cup, has never even come close, hasn't been to the playoffs in 4 years, would refuse a chance to win a Cup because he wanted to feel like he contributed to the team from the beginning of training camp until the end of their season?

Forget the Cup for a second...I mean, Sundin hasn't seen the playoffs since 2004 and he had a chance to do at least that. He didn't waive his NTC probably because he just didn't feel like playing, if you all remember, Sundin shut it down 4 or 5 games before the end of the season and is still undecided about playing...
I'm not disagreeing with you. But there are other ways that he could have answered. Or as you mentioned, he shouldn't have to say anything.

Sundin's mistake was coming out and making that statement, then a few months later stating the exact opposite was possible.

Sundin is known for being an honest player. If he states something in the media, I can't blame people for taking what he says as his word.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Sundin's real reason for not waiving his NTC, as I've said before, was that he already had plans for the summer, that didn't involve playing hockey....poker maybe, but not hockey.

Going to get a ton of mileage out of that one....

Old
09-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Mad Habber

I don't care what anybody thinks, whether he's a hyppocrite, a traiter, a lazy so-and-so, whatever.

If he decides on November 30th to play with the Habs, and Bob still has the cap room. BG, Carbo, the players, except maybe for the one that lose their spot, will welcome him with open arms. And a lot of fans who are calling him a hyppocrite now will be ready to defend Mats' decision to take this long to show up and will welcome him also with open arms.

I'll take himNovember 30th, I'll take him December 31st, whatever. I just want a cup. I want that cup back where it's supposed to be, in a parade in Montreal, guys wearing the bleu, blanc, rouge holding it up above their heads skating around the rink.

How we get there doesn't matter, it's the end result that count. And if Sundin is part of the equation to accomplish our goal, so be it. If he only shows up half way through, so be it. If he only shows up on the final day of the season, so be it. As long as he shows up when needed, and when needed is during the playoffs. We would all have forgiven Ryder for his lackluster season had he had a good playoff last year. But he's never had a good playoff.

I don't care who's on the team, I want my cup. It's been TOO long.

Old
09-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
H10H coming out to bat for his little bro!
lol...please, you're definitely one person I wouldn't have to come to bat for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
I don't care what anybody thinks, whether he's a hyppocrite, a traiter, a lazy so-and-so, whatever.

If he decides on November 30th to play with the Habs, and Bob still has the cap room. BG, Carbo, the players, except maybe for the one that lose their spot, will welcome him with open arms. And a lot of fans who are calling him a hyppocrite now will be ready to defend Mats' decision to take this long to show up and will welcome him also with open arms.

I'll take himNovember 30th, I'll take him December 31st, whatever. I just want a cup. I want that cup back where it's supposed to be, in a parade in Montreal, guys wearing the bleu, blanc, rouge holding it up above their heads skating around the rink.

How we get there doesn't matter, it's the end result that count. And if Sundin is part of the equation to accomplish our goal, so be it. If he only shows up half way through, so be it. If he only shows up on the final day of the season, so be it. As long as he shows up when needed, and when needed is during the playoffs. We would all have forgiven Ryder for his lackluster season had he had a good playoff last year. But he's never had a good playoff.

I don't care who's on the team, I want my cup. It's been TOO long.
I don't think it's Hab fans that are calling him a hypocrite. But I have heard him called that by a lot of Leaf fans.

Personally I could care less what he says in the media. If he would happen to sign with us later in the year. I'll be the first one to go out and buy a Sundin jersey.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-05-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Closed Thread