HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

VIDEO: Naslund, Redden, Nedved interviewed at MSG training center

Old
09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Renney said that Jessiman had a great summer, oh god here come the elevated expectations

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Renney said that Jessiman had a great summer, oh god here come the elevated expectations
I was thinking the same, I wish he wouldve just kept that to himself

Great stuff, big Renney fan.

BTW, around the 4:55 mark of Renney's interview you can hear some guy yelling some explatives if you turn up the volume..?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
NYR Viper

i like all those....i feel bad for nedved...i dont think he has a spot on this team.....i like the naslund and redden signings and i like the fact that renney said that the rangers scouts really focused on these guys as guys who would play well in NYC

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I don't like that they've completely ignored Zherdev, despite him being one of the most exciting young forward acquisitions we've made in a while.
Zherdev has the reputation of being a moody intravert. I wouldnt be so quick to say MSG "ignored" him.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 07:09 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Zherdev has the reputation of being a moody intravert. I wouldnt be so quick to say MSG "ignored" him.
Or it could be that he's in his home country all summer and probably either just arrived here or is going to shortly.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
Or it could be that he's in his home country all summer and probably either just arrived here or is going to shortly.
plus those guys were signings, not trades, they didnt interview Fritsche either.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 01:44 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If you're looking to him to replace Jagr you're going to be disappointed.

I would be thrilled if he can replace Marty Straka. And I think he can.

I felt that Nas was Shanny 2.0, but I guess Straka is a fair assment too.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Kiefer

The thought that Nazzy isn't a player that could take over a game is IMO mostly a Swedish thought.

Most Swedes have honestly only seen him play on the national team. The games in Vancouver usually starts at about 4 AM here and not many stay up to watch those. I have, when my work has allowed me to.

I have seen several games where he has been the offensive pressure that is needed to win the game. Maybe he hasn't always scored the goal, but he has been there and has been a threat.

For those early sleepers here in Sweden, I really hope you get a view of Nazzy as he has deserved.

For other NYR fans, I'm pretty sure he will deliver. He is the kind of player IMO, that needs a fixed line. If it doesn't click at first, time could solve that.

Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Kiefer

BTW, looks at shots taken vs goals when comparing Jagr and Nazzy. Percentage isn't that bad.

Old
09-06-2008, 03:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
BTW, looks at shots taken vs goals when comparing Jagr and Nazzy. Percentage isn't that bad.
i think naslund's percentage is so bad because of the players he played with....i remember watching him on CBC and saying, "damn, what happened to naslund?".....and then i would watch the game and he would carry the puck up the ice, pass it to someone who would either lose the puck or stop any momentum going forward and naslund would have to carry the puck into the zone with no speed what-so-ever and try to beat 2-3 guys and then end up shooting from a bad angle because he had no room to maneuver and no speed to go around anyone.....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i think naslund's percentage is so bad because of the players he played with....i remember watching him on CBC and saying, "damn, what happened to naslund?".....and then i would watch the game and he would carry the puck up the ice, pass it to someone who would either lose the puck or stop any momentum going forward and naslund would have to carry the puck into the zone with no speed what-so-ever and try to beat 2-3 guys and then end up shooting from a bad angle because he had no room to maneuver and no speed to go around anyone.....
Passing to someone that looses the puck wouldn't effect that stat, but I know what you mean.

Thing is, he likes to shoot and it doesn't require a brain surgeon to see that he has shot less the last two years under AV's system.

Some try to explain that with Nazzy gettting older, personally I think it's the system. He shot less, which means less goals.

Old
09-06-2008, 04:22 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
Passing to someone that looses the puck wouldn't effect that stat, but I know what you mean.

Thing is, he likes to shoot and it doesn't require a brain surgeon to see that he has shot less the last two years under AV's system.

Some try to explain that with Nazzy gettting older, personally I think it's the system. He shot less, which means less goals.
I did notice last year that he seemed to have more shots blocked than what had been normal for the past few years.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 04:27 AM
AgentNaslund*

all the best to Naslund.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Kiefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
I did notice last year that he seemed to have more shots blocked than what had been normal for the past few years.
That what's bad with "perception". I'm not a big fan of stats but here goes....

02-03 --> 16.3%
03-04 --> 11.8%
----
05-06 --> 12.1%
06-07 --> 10.8%
07-08 --> 10.5%

Last season (07-08) he shot 15 shots more than previous season (06-07) and scored 1 goal more.

Getting blocked more is just a perception thing.

-- EDIT --

If someone wonders about the % it's goals vs shot taken.

Last edited by Kiefer: 09-06-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old
09-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Celestial Black

Saw them earlier yesterday and was happy to hear what Redden and Naslund had to say...makes me look forward into their production. Also, as usual...Renney is always very confident and believable...now we just have to see the chemistry on the ice.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktasticVoyage35 View Post
Does anyone else here NOT like John Giannone?
Not at all. He's a great guy. Try meeting him outside the Garden. He'll stay outside the Garden to talk with you for atleast 1/2 hour. He goes in through 8 Penn. These people wanted to take pics with him. They took their camera out but it had no battery. So he waited for them to go to the CVS across the street to get batteries, and it took them like 10 minutes to put them in. He's not hesitant to tell you what he knows behind the scenes. When I see him, he'll tell me who's starting tonight. The guy's the man.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 02:11 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
That what's bad with "perception". I'm not a big fan of stats but here goes....

02-03 --> 16.3%
03-04 --> 11.8%
----
05-06 --> 12.1%
06-07 --> 10.8%
07-08 --> 10.5%

Last season (07-08) he shot 15 shots more than previous season (06-07) and scored 1 goal more.

Getting blocked more is just a perception thing.
Well I wasn't really using it to explain anything, but I had noticed him getting his shots blocked a lot more.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Turambar

Is anyone else really not impressed at all with Redden's attitude? He doesn't seem to care about anything, doesn't seem at all excited to be joining the Rangers, and really just seems very "blah" about everything. Naslund, on the other hand, seems to be the polar opposite, at least at first glance.

As for Zherdev, there was a CBJ fan commenting on one of the Ranger blogs last week saying he heard Zherdev showed up for testing with Rangers with a "pot belly". He wouldn't give a source when asked, but was adamant in his claim that he was telling the truth. Here's the comment, take it for what it's worth:

"Regardless, enjoy Zherdev, he will pull some sick moves no doubt, the real challenge is whether or not he decides to play the full year. He played 82 games last year for the jackets but only actually showed up for about 55.

I have heard he is not off to a great start--apparently he showed up for testing the other day with a pot belly. Strenth and conditioning has never been his forte and if he doesn't have someone riding him, he just won't do it.

He is good enough that he will score between 20-25 on skill alone, but in the end, I am not sure Gomez and Drury are going to enjoy picking up his slack.

His linemates in Columbus found him hard to play with because he was so unpredictable and unreliable.

He will score some highlight reel goals for you, but in the end he hasn't developed into a guy you can really count on. Hitchcock had made some strides with him and Renney is similar in the sense that he won't tolerate much b.s., but if his conditioning has slipped that much this summer, the rangers have their work cut out for them."

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...17601756052992

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Is anyone else really not impressed at all with Redden's attitude? He doesn't seem to care about anything, doesn't seem at all excited to be joining the Rangers, and really just seems very "blah" about everything. Naslund, on the other hand, seems to be the polar opposite, at least at first glance.
I think he's just trying to remain cool about the whole thing rather than upping the expectations for himself way too high. I don't know about not caring. I would think he would at least pretend to care with that hefty contract he got

That isn't the greatest news regarding Zherdev though. As much as I don't want to believe it, I bet it's 100% accurate. If he gives us another one of his 30 point seasons this team will be in deep **** very fast.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Ola

If the report was that Zherdev showed up out of shape I would have belived it -- but "put belly"?

Like if he took the "Super size me" diet from the day the season ended in Columbus he might have built up somewhat of a "put belly" -- but at his age its just not beliveable that he could get that much out of shape in such short time...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 07:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktasticVoyage35 View Post
Does anyone else here NOT like John Giannone?
The man himself does not bother me. His homer and cliche questions do. I didn't learn a thing watching those interviews that I haven't heard or read before. What a waste of 15 minutes of my optimism.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 11:25 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post

As for Zherdev, there was a CBJ fan commenting on one of the Ranger blogs last week saying he heard Zherdev showed up for testing with Rangers with a "pot belly". He wouldn't give a source when asked, but was adamant in his claim that he was telling the truth. Here's the comment, take it for what it's worth:

"Regardless, enjoy Zherdev, he will pull some sick moves no doubt, the real challenge is whether or not he decides to play the full year. He played 82 games last year for the jackets but only actually showed up for about 55.

I have heard he is not off to a great start--apparently he showed up for testing the other day with a pot belly. Strenth and conditioning has never been his forte and if he doesn't have someone riding him, he just won't do it.

He is good enough that he will score between 20-25 on skill alone, but in the end, I am not sure Gomez and Drury are going to enjoy picking up his slack.

His linemates in Columbus found him hard to play with because he was so unpredictable and unreliable.

He will score some highlight reel goals for you, but in the end he hasn't developed into a guy you can really count on. Hitchcock had made some strides with him and Renney is similar in the sense that he won't tolerate much b.s., but if his conditioning has slipped that much this summer, the rangers have their work cut out for them."

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...17601756052992
I don't believe a word of that. It reeks of "you took our skill guy... I'm gonna do whatever it takes to make myself feel better about it."

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 11:43 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
I don't believe a word of that. It reeks of "you took our skill guy... I'm gonna do whatever it takes to make myself feel better about it."
I don't know, the guy seems pretty unbiased.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

I'm still holding out hope for Jessiman to be a serviceable 2nd liner or good 3rd liner that drops the mitts and parks himself in front of the net on the PP-- kind of our version of Ryan Malone.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I really think Naslund will surprise a lot of people. I mean everyone seems to forget that Naslund was a top 10 forward in the league pre-lockout and that he basically lost his line mates from his good seasons.

At the end of the playoffs I really was hoping for Montreal to sign Naslund and Sundin. I think those to would have been magical together with say Kovalev. I was pretty disappointed when I heard NYR got Naslund. But I sorta knew it was coming after Tanguay was acquired.

Anyways yeah, I think Naslund can definitely replace Straka and more.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote