HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Report: Camp upset

Old
09-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Report: Camp upset

Something that would be awsome is if any of the kids could take a big step this summer. We got 3 kids who got really good skillsets -- but who still might need some work -- in Korpi, Sangs and Anisimov. But we also got a couple of others who also are within range of making some noise -- like Jessiman, Potter, Moore and Byers. A hockeyplayer develop in stretches -- and ALLOT can happend in a summer. Take Greg Moore for example -- 2 seasons ago he was a bordeline AHLer, last season he was HFD's best player for the first 40 games and defenitly OK for the rest of the season. Dubinsky basically took his "AHL game" to the NHL in the same timefram. We got atleast 7 guys who are in range of the NHL if they develop like Dubinsky and Moore did in that period. Like if Jessiman developed as much as Moore did, hed defenitly be able to score the 18 goals he scored in the AHL last season, in the NHL the comming year. Sure its a big if, but with 7 of them it defenitly shouldn't be impossible. And I am not just talking about someone "winning a spot" -- thoose guys got a chance to make a impact.

Here are some thoughts on the kids that are within range; BOBBY SANGUINETTI -- Sangs won't be "ready" this season -- thats a safe bet. But by the same standards, neither where Chris Letang for Pitts nor M-E Vlasic for SJ really. I guess that in the end a year or probably 2 in the AHL probably is the best for Sangs. I would say that Sangs got 2 big questionmarks; for 1 he defenitly isn't strong defensivly in any way. He is like okey defensivly for like a WJC player, and of thoose 60 D prospects who participate in the WJC's like 5 make it to the NHL. No, Sangs need to get to the NHL by his offensive game. And he really got all the necessary tools without anydoubt. The big questionmark nr 2 is his offensive game. Like for Brampton Sangs have been more like a Kovalchuk type of player. He is not a player who takes calculated risks; he is not a player who is sneaky; he is not a player who outsmarts the opponents -- just like Kovalchuk for Atlanta in the NHL, Sangs for Brampton in the OHL gets his pts from just beeing "better" then the rest. He skates allot faster and shoots allot harder then everyone. He is pretty strong too. That will kind of be a problem early in his NHL career for Sangs. Like if your game is about taking chances, beeing sneaky and smart -- its often not that hard to have success that way early on in the NHL. Pro guys falls into a pattern pretty fast and when a young fearless kid comes in he is often able to do the unexpected and have success that way. After that some kids fall flat and others gets a jumpstart to their career. Sangs isn't that type. He'll need to get his overall game to a level where its dominant in the NHL too -- before he can start "cashing in". Bottomline: Sangs won't be ready, but in the right role he could still be useful -- especially if he can take another step. He is probably the 2nd most talented pointmen we got in the org. He got the lateralmovement pinned down, the mobility on the blueline. He can shoot the puck. He can handle it when pressured by PKers/forecheckers without any doubt. He can pass the puck. But he would have to be given a superb role inorder to get a use of thoose skills, he would need to be "lured" into using his register. If not, he would probably be very quite offensivly and below avg defensivly. Thats exactly what happend to Sangs in the WJC's. You could basically not tell him apart from a complete 1-way defensive D for 99% of the time -- it wasn't untill the bronze game for the US that Sangs took like his first gamble of the tournament. Del Zotto most def got a edge over Sangs in that aspect -- he is the opposite. In the end I think its very unlikely that Sanguinetti will make the team out of camp, because he won't be given the role he needs. Later in the year his chances will become allot better, there will always be injuries and if the PP struggles or Redden goes down there might also be a big need for him.

LAURI KORPIKOSKI – Korpi got a game that always will make him a threat no matter what level he plays at. He will (probably) never become a PPG type of player – he isn’t the type who got the ability to constantly seek and find solutions to beat a defence. Most players aren’t. There is very few who got that ability. But Korpikoski plays his game and no matter what level he is at his strengths will be “strengths”. There is and there will always be room in the NHL to produce from the areas Korpikoski most often produces from. That’s really the aspect most prospect falls on. Like a extremely fast skater in the AHL who is a expert on taking advantage of certain areas of ice; comes to the NHL only to find out that the ice he is used to taking advantage of in the AHL is long crowded in the NHL. Or a really skilled top end player – by both AHL and NHL standards – who gets 3 chances per period with the puck on his stick in the attacking zone in the AHL ends up playing like 3 games in the NHL without once getting that kind of open ice. But for Korpedo his combination of workethic, speed, hockeysense, mobility& balance along with serviceable hands will always, on a regular basis, give him offensive chances in the NHL. It would have last season, and the season before that too. He would have picked up lose pucks after D’s had made mistakes because he reads those situations really well and got the speed to take advantage of it. He would surprised a bigger D every now and then by taking a hit allot better then you expect and because he never stops moving his feets along the boards. That’s the big difference between a Robbie Schremp and Lauri Korpikoski. Schremp excels in situations where he got the puck on his stick, with time, in the attacking zone. He can’t create those chances for himself, but once he gets them he is great and would be in the NHL too. But how often do you get chances like that? Schremp wouldn’t nearly get enough of them in order to produce on a regular basis or keep his confidence up. Korpikoski excels in situations where a D is forced to handle a bouncing puck or when a D goes out to hit him along the boards – kind of. At what level won’t you “get” chances like that? The big problem for Lauri IMO is that he haven’t improved much the last couple of years; especially no in the areas that are his strengths. Instead he have improved in the “Robbie Schremp” areas – but he haven’t become any faster really, or stronger et c. He haven’t “worked to his strengths”. That’s something I definitely would have expected him to do. Because he is a late bloomer and he isn’t all that developed physically it was defenitly reasonable to expect him to become stronger and more explosive at the age of 19-22. That’s really what would put him over the edge in a hearbeat, what would push him into the NHL. Like when he was 18 he was one of the best skaters overall among his peers. When he came to the AHL at the age of 19 he was a “good” skater no doubt; but on many nights he wasn’t “the” fastest skater on the ice. And if moved up to the NHL now he would only be a “very solid skater” or something. In order to be really effective as a 2nd or 3rd lineer he needs to take another step in that aspect. And he definitely could do that, or could have already done it in past sense, this summer. BOTTOMLINE: If Korpi have taken that step I think he will make the Rangers out of camp right away. Maybe start a little slow, sit a game here and there, play some on a 2nd-3rd line, and some on a 4th line maybe – for the first 20 games before then really establish himself as a solid contributor. Maybe below a Dubinsky but above a Callahan. But the condition is that he have taken a big step this summer. If not he might as well stay in the AHL for another year and round out his game – and that won’t hurt him for sure, he is a late bloomer and still got some raw edges and some adjustment/putting it all together issues. At the same time, those issues won’t make or break his NHL career – because his NHL career won’t be about running a PP or being creative offensively every shift.

ARTEM ANISIMOV – AA is kind of in the Sanguinetti mold. Its all or nothing. Either they are good enough, like faster and stronger, then their opponent – and if they are that they will be able to be faster and stronger the opponents every time they step on the ice. Getting offense from those aspects aren’t rocket science. If they aren’t faster or stronger then their opponents; there won’t be many shifts per game where they will be able to outmuscle or outskate a opponent. And besides their raw skill packages – neither got any ability that would separate themselves from the opponenets at the NHL level. That sounds negative – but that’s not my intentions – because in the end AA and Sangs are both two really big talents. Anisimov is very well rounded, he got a great skillset for someone his size – and when we talk about size he defenitly got room to become stronger, he can definitely add some muscles without loosing in other areas. It’s a extremely safe bet that AA will reach a level where he without any hesitation can take a regular shift at the NHL level. The problem is that he really don’t got any abilitys that would make him a great checking line center – so offence got to be part of the equation; and the million dollar question is how is Anisimov going to best develop his offensive game so that he can implement it in the NHL? From what areas are Anisimovs offense going to come from? He don’t got Dubinsky’s “boldness”, nor Prucha’s/Dawes touch around the net; he don’t got the playmaking toolbox to be a pure playmaker. At this point, he isn’t fast and strong enough to use his biggest strength – his combination of reach and speed – as a constant weapon at the NHL level. Like he got offensive tools there are no doubt about that. His shot is really heavy, he sees the ice well – his playmaking skills are on par with Dubinsky’s for example. BOTTOMLINE – Somehow AA needs to get over the edge offensively at the NHL level. I think that can be done 2 ways. Either you leave him in the AHL and hopes that he will come up with something. That’s risky from one aspect, what works in the AHL probably more often then not won’t work in the NHL. Its easy that you learn to cut corners one way in the AHL and starts having success that way down there, and then finds out that whatever room you are taking advantage of in the AHL won’t work in the NHL. Or you bring him to the NHL and gives him a great supporting cast. Like playing with Straka and Jagr definitely could have been a great option for AA if we had that option this year. Giving a kid that kind of environment could really jump start a kids career. Because he gets to see first hand what works at a level – and more importantly by getting experience to play with the puck in the attacking zone he gets a opertunity to practise on what so hard in the NHL – the tempo. Something that’s really the big catch 22 for any offensive hockeyplayer – its extremely hard to get to practise on game situations; to get to practise to play a high octane offensive game in gamelike situations with gamelike tempo. When we see a man like Mario Lemieuxe come back and dominate so much while basically not being a standout in terms of speed or stickhandling ability or something – or Forsberg too on one leg is another example – those 2 can dominate or put up the pts they doo not because they are out of this world type of talents; but because they have had a opertunity to practise in those situations, by being so good early in their careers, that their ability to master the tempo and read the play is superior to what it is humanly possible to develop for a young kid. Anyway, bottomline p2, Anisimov first of all of course needs to have grown as a player somewhat from last season, so that he can be a option for Renney to use at the NHL level – with talented players. I have a hard time seeing him downright “winning a spot” a this point of his career; his option is that it turns out that he is the “last pice of the team puzzle” Renney is trying to build; and that AA takes that chance if it presents it self.

HUGH JESSIMAN – I talked above about how its essential to have qualities that either are transferable to the NHL level (think Staal’s defensive game and poise or Dubinsky’s fearlessness in combination with his skating as a example), or good enough in it self that you can live on them alone in the NHL (think Marc Savards playmaking skills), or how you can have a complete game that without having the edges – as ways to get into the NHL, and there are of course many many schemes like that that you can draw up. Anyway, Jessiman definitely got a quality that you can transfer directly, without substracting much at all – in his SIZE. For example, Jessiman is what 8 inches taller then a 5’10 D when he plays in the AHL, and he is 8 inches taller then a 5’10 D when he plays in the NHL. No matter what level you are at, you don’t want a Kimmo Timmonen on the wrong side of Jessiman close to the net. You don’t want a Kimmo Timmonen trying to outreach Jessiman to bat out a rebound in the crease. When/if Jessiman gets a chance in the NHL I think many people would be surprised of how much of a offensive threat he would be. I think he would score allot more goals just off his size then people might imagine. Whats it all about for Jessiman is getting his overall game to a level where isn’t a burden for his linemates in the NHL. Where they wouldn’t be forced to cover for him on the backcheck and carry him in the transition game. And Jessiman took a big big step towards that level last season. I actually don’t think he was far out at all. Hugh took some big steps last season. And was great to see how he often showed up with a big smile on his face. For a long time playing hockey have seemed to be a burden for him. He wasn’t what people expected and there was a ton of pressure on him. IMO it’s a great evidence of his character that he have been able to find that joy again in the game and have turned it all around BOTTOMLINE: Jessiman needs to keep developing, and at this point I am sure he will. But the big test for him is not to become a player who can get it done in the NHL. I think he will reach that level now. The big test for him will be to not only reach that level; but after that to win a spot. To beat out a Korpikoski or Callahan. Or Voros or Rissmiller. Hugh got that potential. And once he got a chance he got loads of possibility to grow even more once in the NHL. He could start as a 4th lineer; but he would also be a option for a 2nd PP unit for sure. Playing infront of the net of course. And he would be a tremendous fit in terms of style with a smaller skilled guy like Gomez or Cherepanov – so while he normally wouldn’t be nearly good enough to win a spot that high up in the lineup he might get a chance just by being rare commodity in the organization.

COREY POTTER – Potter needs to have a extreme will and attitude to make the NHL. He got some really solid tools. His agility and lateral movement is very very solid and he got a very unusual combination of those abilitys and size and toughness for a US college player really. He is a defensive stay at home D really in my book, with a heavy shot, but he also moves more like a Russian then 99% of the NA’s prospects. His lateral movement is flawless really and reminds more of Malakhov then most Russian kids do… But he isn’t a stand out defensivly really. I see Potter as a D who most likely, if he makes it, will have like a Aaron Miller type of career. Miller was drafted by us in 89’, then got a his first real chance in the NHL in 97’, before finally becoming a pretty solid NHL D for the Kings in 01’. And then being a very solid shutdown D for them from around 01’ to 07’. BOTTOMLINE: I don’t see Potter developing like Girardi. But if we loose a D or 2 Potter stands high on the depth chart. Though I can’t really see him hanging on the that “shot” if he got it – but you never know. I wouldn’t atleast bet on it, but he is so close already that I defenitly could be wrong about him.

DANE BYERS – Byers got that real “punk” attitude on the ice that can be very valuable in the game of hockey. He is ok with the puck and got decent hands. He hits alright. His skating isn’t good enough though. BOTTOMLINE: Its very simple for Dane. He needs to add a element of heavy constant hitting and forchecking to his game. Kind of like Hollweg, buy maybe not that extreme. He isn’t good enough to make it to the NHL as a scoring PF. Whats holding him back in the forechecking and hitting department is defenitly his speed. He needs to get allot faster.

I am getting tired but when it comes to Greg Moore he needs to take another step like the one he took last season. From my point of view it seems hard for him to do that, last season he lost weight and improved his speed. And that was the rgiht thing to do. But now he needs to get back that PF aspect of his game, without loosing speed. That could be tough for him. But at the same time, he have improved allot on a year by year basis for a long time now, looking at his college stats and then his work in the AHL. So that definitely indicates that you shouldn't count him out. By gooing from what I see off him on the ice I got a problem to see it in him though.

Last edited by Ola: 09-06-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 07:38 PM
ThirdEye

Wow man, that's a ton of info right there.

Seems like you follow the the Rangers prospects very closely and pretty much know what to expect.

I really appreciate the write-up as I'm sure others will, thanks

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
NYR Viper

wow ola.....that was a great read!

if i can just comment:

I am SUPER excited for most of these players....especially jessiman, sanguinetti, anisimov and korpikoski as i feel those are the players who have the greatest room for improvment.....

jessiman:
i am hoping this guy gets a shot this year as he had probably the best year of his career last season in the AHL while taking on a new role as team enforcer....he seems to do everything asked of him and has a great attitude....his size is a skill that can not be taught and i agree with you Ola, that he will be more of a threat than some think he will be just due to his pure size....the one thing for me that he needs to work on is his lower-body strength and balance. he got much better at both last season as he was quicker and more balanced on his skates but he needs to keep improving....a lot of this can be translated to core strength.....his core has to be that much stronger because he is a lot bigger than most guys he plays with. if he can continue to improve i expect to see Hugh get a chance with the rangers at some point this season......and i expect to see him succeed.

Anisimov:
IMO he is the best overall forward in the system right now. He works hard, is great defensively, has great size and reach and is gaining offensive skills game-in and game-out....for a 20 y/o he is progressing nicely and the only thing holding him back right now is his weight....if he could gain 15 lbs of muscle while keeping his speed and agility he would be playing in the NHL.....wiht the way he plays the game by using his body he needs that extra strength to battle at the nhl level....

Korpikoski:
I agree with everything you said here Ola. He needs to work on his speed and skating but the one thing he can always fall back on is his very very good defensive game....he is a very responsible player for his age and that is one thing that should spark renney's interest as that was what was holding dawes back last season from sticking....he scores goals around the goal and forechecks hard but the one thing i want to see him improve on is his offensive ability....he needs to gain confidence and grow to where he can find open ice with his speed....he has to learn how to harnass it.....there is a huge difference at the NHL level between a fast player, and a fast player who can find ice.....the one who can find open ice will be the one on the highlight reels for breakways....the ones who are only fast end up on the 3rd or 4th lines as checking line players

sanguinetti:
sanguinetti needs to continue to add strength and speed....his game will never be physical, but he needs to be able to take the punishment and make good plays....IMO, as an offensive defenseman he will NEED at least 1 season in the AHL just to see what its like to play against real men who are bigger and stronger than him....he needs to find out what its like to take a hit and make a play.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
holy crap in 3 posts that's a lot to read... i'll have to come back to it later when i'm not drafting a football team, watching the Met game, and drinking a beer....

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
holy crap in 3 posts that's a lot to read... i'll have to come back to it later when i'm not drafting a football team, watching the Met game, and drinking a beer....
lol, if you just want to read one just read ola's...its a great summary of the way, im sure, a lot of us feel

Old
09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
JerseyRangers

Great stuff, Ola. There are alot of posters on this board who really know their stuff. However, when it comes down to breaking down a players game, his strenghts, weaknesses and future potential no one does it better than you.

Alot of really good info on our prospects -- especially exited about what you have to say about Jessiman. Seems like alot of fans have really given up on the guy. For a guy his size he's got great hands. He's always reminded me a little of Tim Kerr. Most of you probably don't remember Tim Kerr. He was a huge guy with great hands who came out of nowhere and put together a really solid career just parking himself infront of the net and scoring garbage goals. Injuries really cut short his career but he spent a season or part of a season with the Rangers in the 80's.

If he maintains the desire, continues to play fiesty, becomes adequate in the defensive zone and keeps working he can have a hell of a career in todays NHL parking his butt infront of the net and scoring garbage goals! No way that he is less talented then Dave (don't call me Kelly) Clarkson.

Once again a thanks for the great job Ola. You never fail to impress!!!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm of the ilk who would trade Cherepanov far before Anisimov.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm of the ilk who would trade Cherepanov far before Anisimov.
i second that...maybe

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
i second that...maybe
I actually think that not only is he a safer prospect but that he has more upside... You don't find two-way players like him very often. Of that caliber, anyway.

Old
09-05-2008, 09:19 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
I actually think that not only is he a safer prospect but that he has more upside... You don't find two-way players like him very often. Of that caliber, anyway.
He doesn't have more upside than Cherepanov, but I think the chances of him reaching his upside are definitely higher.

Anyway, it's really hard for me to care about Cherepanov right now because there is a big chance he'll never come over here. For some reason, to me he just doesn't seem like the kind that will leave it all behind to prove himself on a higher level. Sadly, that's the kind of impression I've gotten of him so far based on his interviews and such.

I really hope that's not the case though

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
He doesn't have more upside than Cherepanov, but I think the chances of him reaching his upside are definitely higher.

Anyway, it's really hard for me to care about Cherepanov right now because there is a big chance he'll never come over here. For some reason, to me he just doesn't seem like the kind that will leave it all behind to prove himself on a higher level. Sadly, that's the kind of impression I've gotten of him so far based on his interviews and such.

I really hope that's not the case though
How did you get that from his interviews? I got the exact opposite. He stated he wants to play in the NHL. He stated he wants to show the other teams who passed him up what a mistake they made. He said he will finish his contract to his russian club then come to NA. I don't see any grey area in what he said. To me the Rangers are doing everything right with this kid and hopefully they get rewarded with thier patience next season.

Let me ask this, lets say Chery has almost the same exact season he had last year in Russia, where do you guys think he starts in NA? NHL or AHL? Again based on another season just like last year. Also does he play both wings or just RW.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:

You don't find players with the ceiling of offense potential that Cherry has either.

AA is obviously the safer prospect, but how long as this organization waited to a true 1st line goal scorer? I wouldnt trade him before AA.

Cherry as 18 proved he can play with men and be put the puck in the net, even with limited icetime he was able to break Bure's old records.

AA didnt do that bad himself at 19 in the AHL (a step down from the RSL) but i'd rather have the offensive 1st liner then a two way center at this point.

That said...id would rather neither of them went anywhere...but if a choice had to be made...id give up AA. Risky, yes..but i'll take it.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
You don't find players with the ceiling of offense potential that Cherry has either.

AA is obviously the safer prospect, but how long as this organization waited to a true 1st line goal scorer? I wouldnt trade him before AA.

Cherry as 18 proved he can play with men and be put the puck in the net, even with limited icetime he was able to break Bure's old records.

AA didnt do that bad himself at 19 in the AHL (a step down from the RSL) but i'd rather have the offensive 1st liner then a two way center at this point.

That said...id would rather neither of them went anywhere...but if a choice had to be made...id give up AA. Risky, yes..but i'll take it.
I think that both players have PPG potential, or near it.

But one will have that potential and the ELITE two-way play to go with it.

The other will play little to no real defense.

I don't think it's a hard choice, to be honest.

Old
09-05-2008, 10:18 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
I think that both players have PPG potential, or near it.

But one will have that potential and the ELITE two-way play to go with it.

The other will play little to no real defense.

I don't think it's a hard choice, to be honest.
Eh, I guess you see AA with more potential then I do.

I see a good 2 way man (not GREAT, but good)...that could put up 25G/25A.

But I do see Cherry in his prime, if he comes to NA, putting up 45G, 35A.....I may see more potential in Cherry in your opinion as well.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 10:21 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
How did you get that from his interviews? I got the exact opposite. He stated he wants to play in the NHL. He stated he wants to show the other teams who passed him up what a mistake they made. He said he will finish his contract to his russian club then come to NA. I don't see any grey area in what he said. To me the Rangers are doing everything right with this kid and hopefully they get rewarded with thier patience next season.

Let me ask this, lets say Chery has almost the same exact season he had last year in Russia, where do you guys think he starts in NA? NHL or AHL? Again based on another season just like last year. Also does he play both wings or just RW.
he will be in the nhl next season...if he had come over this season he might have been in the AHL but if he repeats his numbers and doesnt have any serious injuries, expect to see him on the second line next season

Old
09-05-2008, 10:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Eh, I guess you see AA with more potential then I do.

I see a good 2 way man (not GREAT, but good)...that could put up 25G/25A.

But I do see Cherry in his prime, if he comes to NA, putting up 45G, 35A.....I may see more potential in Cherry in your opinion as well.
hmm.....i see cheraponov as the opposite....35-45.....

and i see anisimov as 20-40

both very good, but it all depends on what the team needs...and in 4 years the team will need both badly...i hope cheraponov and zherdev play well together because it seems like they are very alike in the way they play the game

Old
09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
he will be in the nhl next season...if he had come over this season he might have been in the AHL but if he repeats his numbers and doesnt have any serious injuries, expect to see him on the second line next season
Well from reading about him it seems he had a disapointing year last year? Maybe it was bad but not what he was hoping for? Sorry but I don't really understand the scoring system over there. I see guys with 1G 3A and people are saying they had a great year. Also is he just a RW or can he play the left side too? Like could a future

Cherapanov/Anisimov/Zherdev line happen?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:02 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
OK... just read the overviews and now I'm excited about all of them. LOL. And now I'm thinking I need to get to Hartford to watch a game in person this year and see these "kids" for myself. Hopefully I can do that. Let's Go Rangers!!!!

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 11:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Well from reading about him it seems he had a disapointing year last year? Maybe it was bad but not what he was hoping for? Sorry but I don't really understand the scoring system over there. I see guys with 1G 3A and people are saying they had a great year. Also is he just a RW or can he play the left side too? Like could a future

Cherapanov/Anisimov/Zherdev line happen?
i thin khe mainly plays RW, but as most players do, they can play elsewhere...

i believe he had a poor season by his stanbdards but he had a very odd season....he missed some time with a concussion which he suffered in the international tournament with canada so he wasnt 100% until a ways into the season. his linemates were terrible. he went back to the WJC and i believe scored at a ppg(which is still very good). im sure he would have loved to up his numbers from the year before but it wasnt in the cards last season as he also had a touch og the flu(? i think) during the WJC which took away all of his strength and "ruined" his tournament.

from what i have seen and read of him is that he is a great goal scorer but he is also a great playmaker....i would imagine on a team like the rangers, who dont have a ton of playmakers, he would have more assists than goals, but he has a very deceptively quick release and good accuracy. as with all the prospects though he is a little thin and needs to gain some muscle but lets hope jagr helps him in that area

Old
09-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I think it's obvious by now that Jessiman will never reach his "potential," but I agree with the OP. I saw a couple of his games last year, and honestly I don't think it would be a reach for him to have a legit shot at the team this year if he has a good camp.

To me, he seems like one of those right time right place players, a la Jan Halavc. I think at this point it's safe to say he won't be a Iginla-esque 1st line PPG PWF, but if he found the right combo of players on a line I think he could have 2-3 pretty good years.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 12:31 AM
The Thomas J.*

I think at this point Jessimen is a career AHLer/Emergancy last resort call up.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 12:46 AM
NYReign

Great post Ola! I don't think any of them are going to make the roster this year (though I hope Korpikoski does and I think he deserves it, there isn't a lot of cap room to go around) but Korp, Anisimov and Sanguinetti should be in the NHL full-time next season hopefully.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Unk

It's great reading your material Ola. You're like the professor of hockey.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 02:21 AM
NYR Viper

there are some other players who i think will seriously challenge for some spots as well and may surprise some people:

parenteau
jamtin
denisov
fahey

i know some of these guys are a bit older but they were all brought in for a reason....and im sure it wasnt just for the AHL.....these guys can play and should challenge for spots on the nhl team THIS year

my hope is to see parenteau out with the nhl team to start the season...he has nothing more to prove at the AHL....let the guy play and if he doesnt work out then get rid of him....hes at the age where if he makes it, great, but if he doesnt then cut him loose so he can go elsewhere

Old
09-06-2008, 05:39 AM
Ola

First of all, thanks for the nice comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Great post Ola! I don't think any of them are going to make the roster this year (though I hope Korpikoski does and I think he deserves it, there isn't a lot of cap room to go around) but Korp, Anisimov and Sanguinetti should be in the NHL full-time next season hopefully.
I actually didn't, or don't, either. But when I came to think about the kids we got -- I did become allot more optimistic. There is not one kid who defenitly is on track to make the team, like a Staal or Dawes -- but there is atleast 6-7 of them who are very close. Who basically is within the same range as Callahan and Dubinsky where the year before taking the big step. And thats especially the case if we look past the camp and into january-febuary.

Hockeyplayers do develop in stretches -- and its defenitly probable that one of them have taken a big step this summer.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote