HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Report: Camp upset

Old
09-06-2008, 06:59 AM
gaglinefan

vCash: 500
Ola, thanks; really nice scouting report with evaluation. It is hard for the average fan who attends MSG to see these things with little exposure to HFD or other resources. Bottom line, we have some players in the system to develop, hopefully we can build a pipeline like Wings etc and be contenders for a long time. While I don't expect to play for the cup this year, you never know. Sometimes teams have rough patches and then get hot later, which seems to be our pattern. It also seemed that Pitts skill set was at a higher level than us, just like Sabres looked like last year. Thanks again, if you are ever in NY let me know, I'll shake out a seat for you.

Last edited by gaglinefan: 09-06-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Typo
gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 07:52 AM
NorthlandPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
You don't find players with the ceiling of offense potential that Cherry has either.

AA is obviously the safer prospect, but how long as this organization waited to a true 1st line goal scorer? I wouldnt trade him before AA.

Cherry as 18 proved he can play with men and be put the puck in the net, even with limited icetime he was able to break Bure's old records.

AA didnt do that bad himself at 19 in the AHL (a step down from the RSL) but i'd rather have the offensive 1st liner then a two way center at this point.

That said...id would rather neither of them went anywhere...but if a choice had to be made...id give up AA. Risky, yes..but i'll take it.
Bottom line, players like Cherry, AA, Sangs, MDZ, Korpedo all have talent. You do not teach the kind of talent they have. Each will take time to mature and maxize their talent. Each have holes in their games, but not major holes. We have a fivesome that should be part of a strong nucleus for many years. Players like Potter, Byers are role players that every team needs. Potter is a classic example of why dmen take time. Potter has excellent balance on his skates, is mobile enough to play in the NHL. His game had to develop, mature. He will be in the NHL at some point this year. The NYRs in Renney, Schoeny & Gordie Clark have the right prescription, dominate at each level. Each one of the 5 players named in the bginning of my response slipped in the draft for a number of reasons. The NYRs on the other hand had each highly rated and were more than thrilled to have other organizations make a mistake and pass. This organization that was once the laughing stock has become one of the models of the NHL. For all of Sather's early miscalculations, he righted the ship and brought in one quality person after another. Once he had the organization restrucured from the bottom up, the quality picks started to populate our cupboard.

So why it is nice to debate when and where these young players will play and what their impact will be, let's remember that none of this was by accident. You have not heard one story line about the work and effort that it took to completely restructure this organization.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 12:09 PM
eco's bones

On Jessiman--at least from last year's exhibition games--his skating needed some real work. He has a nice stride--in close traffic areas he had problems battling for pucks. He was often out maneuvered nor did he seem strong enough on his skates. With all that it was his closest attempt so far making the team out of camp. He did have a pretty good season in Hartford--a much more regular contributor and maybe he has worked out at least some of his skating problems.

On Korpikoski--his numbers also improved. He seems to play in all situations. He strikes me as very well rounded. I was impressed with his debut in the playoffs. I think he is about as ready as can be.

Byers has a bit of the junkyard dog in him. He may not have the skating pace of Korpikoski but we also need guys who will go into the corners and to the net and he seems to have decent hands around the crease area and is a willing fighter. I like him a lot as well.

Anisimov may (should) turn out to be the best of the bunch. I'm not sure he's not going to spend at least most of this season in Hartford though. Again from last years training camp--he has size and a great stride and seemed very strong even though he is still probably a bit underweight for his size. I also would take him over Cherepanov--1) because of his all around play and 2) because as a 19 year old he came to North America because he wants to play here and then proved he could compete with older professional players for 80+ games.

As well I liked the comments Ola made about Potter comparing his lateral movement to Malakhov. Malakhov was a technically gifted player--size, speed, skill with the puck, tape to tape passing, a rocket shot. Could be tough when he felt like it. Malakhov's main problems were periods where he was either disinterested and/or inconsistent.

Moore as well could make a run at a job. He has good size (6'1" and stocky) and is well rounded player. He showed much improvement last year in the AHL. I know a lot of people weren't impressed with him in the NHL but I wonder if it was just that he needed to settle down or settle in.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Well from reading about him it seems he had a disapointing year last year? Maybe it was bad but not what he was hoping for? Sorry but I don't really understand the scoring system over there. I see guys with 1G 3A and people are saying they had a great year. Also is he just a RW or can he play the left side too? Like could a future

Cherapanov/Anisimov/Zherdev line happen?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that 1G and 3A was a great year, but you have to remember the season is shorter.

Cherepanov scoring 29 points in his rookie season is similar to him scoring 50 points in an 82 game season. That's quite good for a rookie season. Now, it's not Ovechkin or Crosby good, but it's very promising none-the-less. I think (hope) we'll see Cher hovering between 35-40g / 40A for most of his career.

Afaik, Cher is a natural RW, as is Zherdev so that line doesn't make much sense.

Ola: Great read. Thanks for putting in all that work.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
there are some other players who i think will seriously challenge for some spots as well and may surprise some people:

parenteau
jamtin
denisov
fahey

i know some of these guys are a bit older but they were all brought in for a reason....and im sure it wasnt just for the AHL.....these guys can play and should challenge for spots on the nhl team THIS year

my hope is to see parenteau out with the nhl team to start the season...he has nothing more to prove at the AHL....let the guy play and if he doesnt work out then get rid of him....hes at the age where if he makes it, great, but if he doesnt then cut him loose so he can go elsewhere

parenteau = career AHL'r

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Gott arbete Ola = nice work

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
As well I liked the comments Ola made about Potter comparing his lateral movement to Malakhov. Malakhov was a technically gifted player--size, speed, skill with the puck, tape to tape passing, a rocket shot. Could be tough when he felt like it. Malakhov's main problems were periods where he was either disinterested and/or inconsistent.
Yeah, the only ability Potter got that reminds of Malakhov is the lateral movement. Malakhov really had it all -- probably would have been a mega star in this league if he was born a decade later. Like now the European game have become more like the NHL game, and the NHL game have become more like the european game. And especially off ice -- its more simular.

Malakhov was of the generation who often had big problems with handling the pro lifestyle and NHL game.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Avy*

People, Anisimov never ever going to be offensive force. Forget about PPG nonsense. More upside than Cherepanov? Thats insanity, i watched both in RSL, in juniors even in the same line you can really see who is more talented player. Heck Grachev is better player already let alone Cherepanov. Anisimov is all about long hands, good skating and game smarts, there is nothing outstanding in his offensive game. Vasicek 2.0.

Last edited by Avy*: 09-06-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
People, Anisimov never ever going to be offensive force. Forget about PPG nonsense. More upside than Cherepanov? Thats insanity, i watched both in RSL, in juniors even in the same line you can really see who is more talented player. Heck Grachev is better player already let alone Cherepanov. Anisimov is all about long hands, good skating and game smarts, there is nothing outstanding in his offensive game. Vasicek 2.0.
Well that doesn't sound promising.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Well that doesn't sound promising.
Having an excellent young defensive center doesn't sound promising? I forget its Hfboards so every team has farm full of future PPG players.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Ola

Quote:
Yeah I agree with your assesment of him right now -- and your end result is defenitly not unlikely; like him becomming something like a Zubrus/Vasicek type of player.

But you also never know; all it takes it that he develops some kind of "niché" offensivly that he can resort too and then gets to play in the right development -- and you got 65-70 pt scorer on your hand.

Like if Anisimov develops a really heavy shot -- kind of like a Brian Roloston. Its not unusual that talented players expands their register like that. Like I defenitly don't ever remember seeing Malkin use his slapper when he was 16-17 y/o; and I never saw him play the point. I think thats something he developed later in his career. Sundin did the same thing and Jagr too. John LeClair is the eternal example... Mike Knuble.

There are many options, like when Dubinsky where younger he got all his offense basically from twisting and turning down low; he was defenitly not a threat on the rush. In the NHL D's down low are a bit too strong for him; but he developed his abilitys on the rush tremendously and it seemed like he got most his pts off the rush last season. Anisimov might add 30 lbs the comming 3-4 years and become extremely strong along the boards for example.

My point is that there is still room for development for Anisimov, and its not compleltey unlikely that he might get that "niché" offensivly. But I also agrees with you that he ain't on track to become a 75 pt player right now.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Having an excellent young defensive center doesn't sound promising? I forget its Hfboards so every team has farm full of future PPG players.
Sooooooo

I really think Korpikoski, Animisev , Cherapanov and Byers make the team NEXT yr

I mean Korps could be called up out of that bunch if a injury goes down and I bet he could be real good with Dubi but I just don't see the room on the team right now

I think Rissmiller and Voros will be hard workers and solid 4th line troopers even though everyone is bashing them now as alot of us wanted the guys and even Greg Moore, Parenteau, Jamtin,Jessiman to sneak in

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
You just described about 90% of the Rangers prospects. I am hoping Anisimov can produce offensively.

Oh and when you put the name Vasicek in as a career projection sorry but thats not that promising.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Chimp

Great post Ola, but could I ask that you break down the texts into smaller columns? They are a pain to read when you are in the middle of them.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 09:58 AM
pzilla3

Good read

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote