HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryan O'Byrne

Old
09-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
I'm not saying he can be Bobby Orr, but I think he has the potential to be.
hahaha, I listened to that again the other day.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Toro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I will respond to mature posts. Not this type.
what was wrong with my post? was i right? i wasn't trying to offend you, i was trying to understand how you came to your conclusions?

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
what was wrong with my post? was i right? i wasn't trying to offend you, i was trying to understand how you came to your conclusions?
Just for your information, I've been watching hockey for over 4 decades. I've seen our Habs win 10 Stanley Cups. I've played a competitive level of hockey as a forward and made a successful switch to goaltending. I've coached for years and I'm now starting a girls' program in the town that I live in. So if you want to be snotty with your remarks, you go ahead. I will ignore you.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Just for your information, I've been watching hockey for over 4 decades. I've seen our Habs win 10 Stanley Cups. I've played a competitive level of hockey as a forward and made a successful switch to goaltending. I've coached for years and I'm now starting a girls' program in the town that I live in. So if you want to be snotty with your remarks, you go ahead. I will ignore you.
(But O'Byrne is still more mobile than every D you mentioned)

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old
09-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Toro

Quote:
Thats all nice and good, again sorry to upset you but your hockey analysis is a bit off here just wondering how you came to your conclusions. Still you have not told us.

And if you want to ignore me go ahead, i care not. Your loss.

Old
09-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
It's just my opinion, I'm entitled to it. I think you're selling him short - so what if I compare him to a player who's had a relatively successfull career?
You are definitely entitled to your opinion but IMO, to say that O'Byrne has the "Potential" to be Bobby Orr, is like saying I have the "Potential" to grow wings and fly. Orr is probably the 3rd best hockey player ever. There's only a handful of players in the history of hockey that have that kind of "Potential"

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 02:52 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
You are definitely entitled to your opinion but IMO, to say that O'Byrne has the "Potential" to be Bobby Orr, is like saying I have the "Potential" to grow wings and fly. Orr is probably the 3rd best hockey player ever. There's only a handful of players in the history of hockey that have that kind of "Potential"
I'm pretty sure he was yanking everybody's chain about that

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post

Listen to this. It's Kareem calling in to CKAC a few months back.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Count of DannyKristo

There's a word called sarcasm, many of you in this thread should learn it.

Count of DannyKristo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
There's a word called sarcasm, many of you in this thread should learn it.
Like anybody could really believe that Ryan is the next Orr

Don't get me wrong, i like O'Byrne but Orr'esk he is not. For that matter there is no one currently in the league like Orr. Unless you use the sarcasm smily there are a lot of confused posters here LOL.

Old
09-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

Listen to this. It's Kareem calling in to CKAC a few months back.
I just can't belive this Kareem guy!

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 06:27 PM
1970 Habs

Anyone who watched Komisarek break into the NHL should admit that it took him sometime to develop into the player he is. A number of fans were disgruntled with his play in his early years.

O'Byrne started off much stronger than Komisarek. There are similarities in their styles. Seeing how Komisarek has turned out, I do not know how people can judge the limit of O"Byrne's potential after having only seen him play 37 NHL games.

1970 Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
He doesn't even have the potential to be Chris Pronger.

Hell, the closest thing to Orr in the NHL right now is Niklas Lidstrom or Scott Neidermayer, and O'Byrne doesn't even have the potential to be them.

Stop overrating Hab players. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. It's like when Higgins said he thinks he could score 40, so everyone believed he would, and when he didn't, they now want him gone. Aim low, be happy when they surpass it.
you have got to be kidding me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I just can't belive this Kareem guy!
if you don't see that he's kidding then you have no reason answering back

Quote:
I'm not saying he can be Bobby Orr, but I think he has the potential to be.
you we're the one who called! man that's fantastic

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-07-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Ryan to me has an upside like Komisarek, not very offensive but deadly defensively and physically with great skating. I think with the Don the team he will get to develop at his pace and should draw from his fellow Defencemen all he needs to become a dominant Defensive defenceman for a long time.
He was a good draft pick but he won't reach Komisarek's level and he won't be dominant.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:09 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
What is his offensive potential? And on what pairing will he likely be playing this upcoming season?
I don't know what pairing he'll be on, either the 2nd or 3rd. If he does well I could see him on the 2nd pairing with Hammer who should be a good partner for him since he's very steady in his own end. If not he'll be with Bouillon.

His offensive upside is something I doubt he'll ever be known for but he does have a cannon of a shot and once he gets more comfortable out there hopefully he'll use it more.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
His offensive upside is something I doubt he'll ever be known for but he does have a cannon of a shot and once he gets more comfortable out there hopefully he'll use it more.
My thought, excactly.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1380
Well i've been watching hockey for close to five decades now and O'Byrne is a LOT faster than Souray. Period.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Well i've been watching hockey for close to five decades now and O'Byrne is a LOT faster than Souray. Period.
Well thats why i couldn't believe the opinion of Asterix that O'byrne was slow. Ryan is huge and I admit that maybe he needs some work on his agility a bit, but wow he is really fast and agile for his size. He is way more mobile than most guys his size.

Old
09-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
The mobility you cite isn't sufficient to make a great Dman. O'Byrne would have to improve in other areas. The brain dictates where the skates should point, when to get them moving, and what to do when they get to their destination. Good eye-hand coordination is necessary, not to mention body checking technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 Habs View Post
Anyone who watched Komisarek break into the NHL should admit that it took him sometime to develop into the player he is. A number of fans were disgruntled with his play in his early years.

O'Byrne started off much stronger than Komisarek. There are similarities in their styles. Seeing how Komisarek has turned out, I do not know how people can judge the limit of O"Byrne's potential after having only seen him play 37 NHL games.

On the other hand, that's not enough input to extrapolate him into an excellent Dman.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-08-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:35 PM
ReVeuF

I want Obyrne to be a Komisarek clone.... that is it

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Offense from the defense seems to be almost exclusively reserved to guys who are mobile at the back end. Even Souray, Chara and Pronger are a lot more mobile than O'Byrne.

The best hope for O'Byrne is to become a solid, stay-at-home type defensemen who gives good bodychecks, ala Komisarek. I don't think he can get to Komi's level though because he's not as quick.

My two cents.
What? HAHAHAHA!

O'Byrne is an amazing skater for his size and is definitely faster than Souray, Chara and Pronger. He has quicker feets and he moves, pivots and reacts a lot faster than those guys. He's on par with Komisarek right now skating-wise IMO and is only getting better.

He will never be a huge point getter but remember he had 2 assists in his first NHL game. He will be involved in the play and he as a good slapper from the point, so as he grow into a legit top-4 D and gets the icetime he will get some goals and a couple of assists as well on even strenght, because he'll never get PP time.

Expect 3-6 goals and 13-18 assists per year for most of his career.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 04:57 PM
MedStud76

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
What? HAHAHAHA!

O'Byrne is an amazing skater for his size and is definitely faster than Souray, Chara and Pronger. He has quicker feets and he moves, pivots and reacts a lot faster than those guys. He's on par with Komisarek right now skating-wise IMO and is only getting better.

He will never be a huge point getter but remember he had 2 assists in his first NHL game. He will be involved in the play and he as a good slapper from the point, so as he grow into a legit top-4 D and gets the icetime he will get some goals and a couple of assists as well on even strenght, because he'll never get PP time.

Expect 3-6 goals and 13-18 assists per year for most of his career.

How can you say I'll never see time on the PP, as you mention he as a good slapper and he his very mobile. I could see him on the PP starting this year, in fact I would not mind see him get a try on the 1 PP to replace Streit during pre-season.

And dont tell me his hockey sense is not good enough, how much hockey sense do you need to wind up and let fly every time you get a pass from Markov (the Souray, then Streit method of playing the point). As a bonus his defense is better then both.

MedStud76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:30 PM
1970 Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
On the other hand, that's not enough input to extrapolate him into an excellent Dman.
I did not say it was. However the opposite is not true either. It is next impossible to judge a player's potential in 37 games. One just needs to look at Plekanec who some thought after in his first couple of NHL seasons that he was a 3rd line centre at best.

O'Byrne had a good start to his NHL career last year and was one of the most consistent defencemen going down the stretch. I am sure playing under Hamrlik's tutelage made a big difference. I was disappointed that he did not play more in the playoffs; though I suspect it was because he was a rookie.

I hope this season he picks up where he left off last year.

1970 Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Do we ever have a tendency of over evaluating our players in Montreal...