HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I still find myself in awe...

Old
09-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
^I lmao everytime I see that video of him d-blocking that Sabre. Hope he does a lot of that, and his chip magnifies this year.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:39 AM
eco's bones

Marc is not overly flashy. Comparisons in the past to a Larry Robinson--Rod Langway style of game seems apt. The biggest difference between those two is Robinson had a bit more of an offensive game. Langway was tall and rangy and was the best shutdown d-man of his era. I think Staal is very much like Langway now and depending on how much better an offensive game he will eventually develop he may be much like a Robinson before he's done. Whatever the case and whether or not Redden and Roszival are making tons more money--he is IMO our best and most valuable blueliner and it's not even close. He is the guy we'll build our defense corps around.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Fletch

I'm hoping he takes his game to the next level. I was really impressed with his poise last season and had eagerly awaited his arrival and am still upset he didn't get a real shot when he was 18, having only been afforded one preseason game (he did have three penalties, which was more an adjustment to the new rules, but played quite well and was very aggressive). I'd like to see a bit more (actually a lot more) physical play from Staal. He has it in him and he can become a dominating defenseman with his toolset.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Put me in the man-crush column/ I'm really psyched to see all the kids who had their first full year break out this year.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Nothing that hasn't been said already, but he is a very subtle player. If you are not a fan of the sport you will not appreciate what he does.

Dan Girardi is the same way. Subtle and solid.

Staal has the ability to put up points too, its just a matter of time. Dan Girardi scored 10 goals last year. He is due for a break out season as well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:43 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Nothing that hasn't been said already, but he is a very subtle player. If you are not a fan of the sport you will not appreciate what he does.

Staal has the ability to put up points too, its just a matter of time. Dan Girardi scored 10 goals last year. He is due for a break out season as well.
Staal is the real deal. Girardi, on the other hand, regressed terribly last year from the year before. Hopefully he will bounce back.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Just wait until we trade him to LA for Marty McSorley...

I don't usually like to play "what might have been", but if the Rangers had not traded Mattias Norström so early (and considering Norström's long tenure with the Kings), there could have been a chance for the Rangers to have one great stay-at-home defenceman in Norström lead directly to another in Staal.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

as much as i love girardi, comparing him to staal is apples and oranges. staal has it in him to become a top dman in the league, while i'd say girardi isn't too far off his potential. i don't think girardi will get THAT much better than he is now. i think he's one of the better 2nd pairing dmen in the league, whereas staal is going to (hopefully) grow into a franchise player who is the core of our d for many years. girardi will never be much more than a great complimentary player who makes our second pairing strong and may be able to fill in on the top pairing someday if there's an injury.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Fletch

that's one trade I still can't stand remembering. A top stay-at-home defenseman and an agitating, young centerman for Mc, useless Churla and a way over the hill Kurri (I left off Ferraro and Lafayette as I didn't care much about either - was becoming a big fan of both norstrom and Lapperriere.

Old
09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
He stepped it up in the playoffs. He became an instant shut down dman and was able to transfer it to offense also, scoring a goal and getting a few assists with some chances as well. Phenomenal in the post season.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Don't believe i said Girardi is as good or has the same potential.

But to say Girardi regressed?

He scored 10 goals last year.

Getting double digits in goals from a 24 year old defenseman in his first full year is pretty damn good.

He plays all situations. And is very reliable in his own end.

Last year was his rookie season. Can't say he regressed. Why, because he had a neutral +/- rating? The whole defensive unit last year had their mishaps and finished up with close to neutral ratings. Rozsival 0, Girardi 0, Mara +1, Staal +2.

He also averaged 21:12 of ice time last year.

Girardi is primed to have a break out season.

Staal is just a freak of nature.

Old
09-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
This kid is underrated for, as Trottier would say, the simple fact he doesn't put up niiiiiiiiice amounts of points for the fantasy teams.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Staal is the real deal. Girardi, on the other hand, regressed terribly last year from the year before. Hopefully he will bounce back.
I agree 100%. Would like Girardi to stick to defense this year.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that's one trade I still can't stand remembering. A top stay-at-home defenseman and an agitating, young centerman for Mc, useless Churla and a way over the hill Kurri (I left off Ferraro and Lafayette as I didn't care much about either - was becoming a big fan of both norstrom and Lapperriere.
Yeah, I guess I was just taking another opportunity to vent.

Staal sticking with the Rangers will be a good example of how this franchise has matured.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:34 PM
chosen

Quote:
Don't believe i said Girardi is as good or has the same potential.

But to say Girardi regressed?

He scored 10 goals last year.

Getting double digits in goals from a 24 year old defenseman in his first full year is pretty damn good.

He plays all situations. And is very reliable in his own end.

Last year was his rookie season. Can't say he regressed. Why, because he had a neutral +/- rating? The whole defensive unit last year had their mishaps and finished up with close to neutral ratings. Rozsival 0, Girardi 0, Mara +1, Staal +2.

He also averaged 21:12 of ice time last year.

Girardi is primed to have a break out season.

Staal is just a freak of nature.
I don't care how many goals Girardi scored. He was a much better defenseman the year before. To me, this is indisputable but I guess you dispute it.

I'm going by what I saw. Perhaps it was because he drew tougher assignments the second time around so maybe his skills were no worse but the result was definitely worse. In any case, if we see last year's version as opposed to the previous year's version my guess is that he won't be all that valuable long term.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Fletch

Chosen...

I'm still trying to figure out Girardi, but I don't know how fair it is to compare the season before with last season. Last season he mostly went against top lines. The season before he mostly went against third and fourth lines. He had a much tougher workload and was going against much tougher competition, so are we really comparing apples to apples? Perhaps he's just not well-suited to go against top lines, which is fine and doesn't make him a bad second pair defenseman.

Old
09-08-2008, 04:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I guess i'm not ready to throw Girardi under the buss yet.

Last year was his first full season in the NHL.

He had a tougher work load. He had a lot of responsibility.

Going through some rough points comes with the territory of developing as an NHL defenseman.

I think he will be fine. He has a lot of hockey sense, he is a smart player, and he has the right skill set. Give him time.

Old
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
TomLaidlaw

I kept waiting for Staal to hit a rookie wall and it never happened. The fact that he actually raised his game in the playoffs as a rookie is what really impressed me the most.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote