HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings deny Khabibulin interest (Boston Globe)

Old
09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Pukboy5kroner

vCash: 500
From the article, I got the impression that LA's GM was mentioning both situations independant of each other. I don't see any quote stating anything about a trade of Kopitar for Khabi. It seemed more like he was saying:

1. We are not trading Kopitar for anything.
2. We have no interest in Khabibulin.

If I were to say, I am going to the store to buy milk, then I'm going to change my oil. Who would jump to the conclusion that I needed to buy some milk, so that I can change my oil?

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
From the article, I got the impression that LA's GM was mentioning both situations independant of each other. I don't see any quote stating anything about a trade of Kopitar for Khabi. It seemed more like he was saying:

1. We are not trading Kopitar for anything.
2. We have no interest in Khabibulin.

If I were to say, I am going to the store to buy milk, then I'm going to change my oil. Who would jump to the conclusion that I needed to buy some milk, so that I can change my oil?
I have no idea.....the thing that I find humorous about this is that these are subjects that were brought up weeks ago and have already been debunked. I am surprised that this is even still being talked about.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginc View Post
Ottawa doesn't have the cap space for a straight up Gerber for Khabi deal.
Also, Khabi may be a "better" goalie, but he's more injury prone and his contract is much worse.

But hey, lets look at needs.
Chicago needs:
- a bottom 6 forward to complete the roster
- a goalie swap that will free up cap space

Ottawa needs:
- elite prospects
- improvement in one of the 3 following areas: goalie, top 6 forward, top 4 defenseman

Which leads to a deal of:
Khabi + 1st round pick (6.75M)
for
Gerber + McAmmond (4.55M)

Unfair to Chicago? Maybe, but they're the ones in cap trouble and Chicago needs to make a deal more than Ottawa does.
In all honesty, Chicago would be better off dealing with a different team because Ottawa is too close to the cap and won't take on a huge contract without added incentive (ie. the first rounder).
So, Chicago deletes their first rounder, gives up the better player asset, and saves about 2 million on the cap? Good luck on that one.

09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
Maybe I'm crazy, but I still maintain that LaBarbera can be a very good goalie in this league. And with LA rebuilding, there's no reason for them not to continue giving him a chance to prove himself. And if he can't get it done they've got a couple of guys in the wings that hold a lot of promise. There's no reason at present for LA to go out and grab a goalie for this season, or for the future.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

LaBarbara did a decent job last season.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Epatt001

it's all smoke and mirrors.

dean lombardi is trading bernier,and kopitar for khabibulin and 7th round pick, so we can trade him to ottawa at the deadline for gerber.

read between the lines people.

/sarcasm.

the kings have an internal cap, right at the league floor (at least for this season), so it becomes even less likely that we try to acquire assets by taking on salary.

as far as the kopitar rumors go, it just shows how little credit/attention is given to him.

Last edited by Epatt001: 09-08-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Epatt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

It's truly amazing how little other fans around the league know about the Los Angeles Kings, our players, our management, and our fanbase. It'd take an hour to comb through this nonsense and correct all of the assumptions, ignorance, and flat out bold faced lies.

This thread is embarassing.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
If I were Chicago, I would totally trade for Kopi....

just kidding.

I'm a little surprised by this. Is it looking like a Labarberra/Bernier tandem in net this year?

If I were the Kings, I think I would prefer a Khabibulin/Bernier tandem. Perhaps they're just waiting (and gambling) until Chicago just waives Khabibulin?
we have Ersberg
we are fine in nets
it was our D last year...can people stop it already

IT WAS OUR D LAST YEAR !
and probably this year too

ok...for people that never understand...will just never understand

but one last time....

WE HAVE A TERRIBLE DEFENSE
NOT GOALTENDING

got it?? most likely not

ok...hmmm...our defense really really sucks...our goaltending good, a bit above average even...a in prime Ersberg/Labarbera is superior to a past prime Khabibulin...or equal value...for cheaper though

get it ? no huh...

WE DONT NEED GOALTENDING

capiche?? ..trade Khabibulin for who again? oh ...wait..you didnt get it huh!?

ok...WE NEED D
WE NEED D
WE NEED D
WE NEED D
WE NEED D

understand?? ...i don't think so...wait let me explain...

we need D
we no need G
capiche?

me, me King...king need D...no G...no

get it ?

wait, i don't think you got it...

(...)
(...)
(...)

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
fullmetalninja

Maybe the Kings fans would be nice enough to enlighten us on what their expectations are for the upcoming season?

Contend for the Cup?

Contend for the playoffs?

Contend for the first pick in the draft?

I freely admit I don't know what the Kings fans believe. I do think most of them (heck most fans of every team on here) vastly overrate their prospects. I also think the odds of them holding it all together while their young Dmen work it out-- is less than probable.

Just looking here in the Central you have Nashville and Chicago who have built pretty good young bluelines (but the learning curve was about 2-3 years to get to average).

St Louis was also supposed to be rebuilt by now based on their young Blueline (which a few years ago was Jackman, Backmam, Brewer, Woywitka). I think St Louis has a nice blueline, but it certainly hasn't gone without ups and downs.

Btw, despite what most hawk fans say on here-- I really think when the NHLPA officially waives any right to reopen the CBA that the Hawks will hold on to Khabby. Anyone who takes him will be essentially paying for a decent prospect/pick/player come the trade deadline.

As a hawk fan, if we can fit everyone in under the CBA (and if that bonus cushion is reinstated the hawks can)-- I'd prefer they do it themselves. So long as they aren't forced to move him-- and they won't be-- there is no reason to give him away for nothing.

If LA isn't a good fit, so be it.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja View Post
Maybe the Kings fans would be nice enough to enlighten us on what their expectations are for the upcoming season?

Contend for the Cup?

Contend for the playoffs?

Contend for the first pick in the draft?
Our expectations are to see some of the younger players improve. Improve our goals against. There is no expectation that the Kings will make the playoffs much less contend for the Cup. While the first pick in the draft is certainly a possibility, I think most people would like to see the team finish better than they did last year. Finishing 25th or better in the league and 13th or better in conference will be a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja View Post
I freely admit I don't know what the Kings fans believe. I do think most of them (heck most fans of every team on here) vastly overrate their prospects. I also think the odds of them holding it all together while their young Dmen work it out-- is less than probable.
If you are referring to Kopitar here, I don't think he is considered a prospect. And I can't think of any logical reason why the Kings would even begin to consider moving him without a massive overpayment.

I'm not sure what you comment about the defense is about but Lombardi has had a wet dream of having defensive depth like Nashville for quite sometime. That is something that is just starting to take shape so there is definitely more time needed to allow some of the prospects to develop. I think he's on the right track, though. I just wish we had all of these young prospects 2 years ago when we started this process.

And as far as overvaluing prospects goes, we have been blessed with countless proposals of "let me offer you this piece of **** that you have no use for.. for one of your top players/prospects". Please search through the proposals here for Dustin Brown, Patrick O'Sullivan and plenty others. The one thing that Kings fans keep saying is give us *insert good player/prospects/1st round pick* to counter that crap because 1) Lombardi isn't looking to dump off young players 2) there isn't anyway he would without overpayment. He's made that clear. The only thing that was close to a young player that was traded is Cammalleri who had obvious contract issues and he decided to get something for him before he walked at the end of the year. It seems to be the consensus that would've happened had he stayed this season. So he traded an asset we have a strength in (offense) and improved a weakness (defense).

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:30 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I have no idea.....the thing that I find humorous about this is that these are subjects that were brought up weeks ago and have already been debunked. I am surprised that this is even still being talked about.
I too thought the Khabibulin to the Kings idea was debunked almost 2 months ago until Darren Dreger brought it up last week.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_...-darren_dreger

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Well we do know of several people who are not renewing their season tickets......that could be viewed as a dwindling fan base. Especially since ticket revenue is the basis for tracking fans.
The Kings also raised ticket prices when they have a team that is at the bottom of the league and the economy is horrible, making the decision to not renew easy for a lot of people. I also know people that did not renew their season tickets but it's because they could not afford to keep them, not because they are no longer Kings fans.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
The Kings also raised ticket prices when they have a team that is at the bottom of the league and the economy is horrible, making the decision to not renew easy for a lot of people. I also know people that did not renew their season tickets but it's because they could not afford to keep them, not because they are no longer Kings fans.
I can see that. But there is a thread in the business forum talking about how some teams have a 90+% retention rate on season tickets. And this is in the same economy.

Old
09-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
I can see that. But there is a thread in the business forum talking about how some teams have a 90+% retention rate on season tickets. And this is in the same economy.
Yeah but in some areas people can opt to take public transportation to save money to keep their seats, while in L.A. that's not really an option for a lot of people.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
GoKingsGo94

Kind of disappointing to hear this because honestly it would have made perfect sense to get a good veteran goalie for the 1 year. The only reason why maybe this is being denied is because Chicago maybe wants a lot more then the Kings will give up for a high salary 1 year contract goalie where it wouldn't make a difference for the Kings or not.

But the reason why I am disappointed is because it will give Bernier an extra year to develop and Khabibulin can win us a more games than LaBarbara will and it may actually build more confidence to our young defense. LaBarbara won't win us any games and lose us more than anything which then could hurt the confidence of the young D.

GoKingsGo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Kopistar

The Kings will take Bulin off Chicago's hands.....only it'll be for pennies on the dollar. Hawks fans are delusional if they think that Bulin is worth anything more than Armstrong, Mouson, and a pick.

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Oh, I didn't mean to imply it's only the economy as the reason as to why some people didn't renew. It was a pretty ballsy move for the team to raise prices while putting a crappy product on the ice in a bad economy though. I think the team being bad factored into a lot of people's decisions. If you've only got so much discretionary income to spend, it would be much easier to justify spending it on hockey tickets if the team was playing well.

If you've only got $2000 to spend, do you blow it all on season tickets to see a last place team? Or do you spend some of it on Center ice and single game seats/mini plan and use the rest of it for other needs? Center ice and cutting down on the number of games you go to would be an attractive option to a lot of people. One of my friends that didn't renew decided it was an expense they could cut, since they're trying to save up to have a baby. It's money that could go for a college fund. It doesn't mean she's not as much of a fan as before. A lot of other people I'm sure had to make decisions like that. I don't think it means the fan base is eroding exactly, but that other things are taking an economic priority and the Kings being bad is making it easy for people to make the decision to give up tickets.

I think it's easy to forget the cost of gas, parking, time spent in traffic etc as costs of attending the game. Because So Cal is so spread out I bet there are a large number of Kings fans that drive between 50-100 miles or more round trip to Staples Center. Personally, it's about 65 miles round trip. I haven't seen parking for less than $10 around Staples (I'm female and want to park relatively close to the arena for safety reasons). Do that 41 times a year and it's going to add a few hundred dollars to $1000 easily to the cost of season tickets. Not to mention if you're buying any food or alcohol at the arena or just eating out on your way to the game. If I had season tickets, between gas and parking and maybe some food or soda- not alcohol, say $25/game for other expenses it would be over $1000 spent on top of ticket prices. If I drank, it would be even more expensive.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
Oh, I didn't mean to imply it's only the economy as the reason as to why some people didn't renew. It was a pretty ballsy move for the team to raise prices while putting a crappy product on the ice in a bad economy though. I think the team being bad factored into a lot of people's decisions. If you've only got so much discretionary income to spend, it would be much easier to justify spending it on hockey tickets if the team was playing well.

If you've only got $2000 to spend, do you blow it all on season tickets to see a last place team? Or do you spend some of it on Center ice and single game seats/mini plan and use the rest of it for other needs? Center ice and cutting down on the number of games you go to would be an attractive option to a lot of people. One of my friends that didn't renew decided it was an expense they could cut, since they're trying to save up to have a baby. It's money that could go for a college fund. It doesn't mean she's not as much of a fan as before. A lot of other people I'm sure had to make decisions like that. I don't think it means the fan base is eroding exactly, but that other things are taking an economic priority and the Kings being bad is making it easy for people to make the decision to give up tickets.

I think it's easy to forget the cost of gas, parking, time spent in traffic etc as costs of attending the game. Because So Cal is so spread out I bet there are a large number of Kings fans that drive between 50-100 miles or more round trip to Staples Center. Personally, it's about 65 miles round trip. I haven't seen parking for less than $10 around Staples (I'm female and want to park relatively close to the arena for safety reasons). Do that 41 times a year and it's going to add a few hundred dollars to $1000 easily to the cost of season tickets. Not to mention if you're buying any food or alcohol at the arena or just eating out on your way to the game. If I had season tickets, between gas and parking and maybe some food or soda- not alcohol, say $25/game for other expenses it would be over $1000 spent on top of ticket prices. If I drank, it would be even more expensive.
I see what you are saying but if the die hard fans are willing to part with their season tickets (for whatever reason) then the casual fan is definitely going to find something better to do with his money and time than to go to a Kings game or even watch it on TV. It does not necessarily mean they are gone for good. But you know as well as I do that many LA sports fans are prone to showing up only when their team is winning. I predict the Kings attendance this year will be down dramatically. The press will translate that into a dwindling fan base. The Kings do not really care too much about the fans who don't spend the money to watch their product....they are not the ones who help pay the bills. So lower attendance = lower revenue = lower fan base in the minds of ownership and media.

Old
09-09-2008, 07:22 PM
TerminatorBlue

You ****ing idiots I was being SARCASTIC!....Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty are the only hope LA has.

Last edited by TerminatorBlue: 09-09-2008 at 09:40 PM.
TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 08:27 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo94 View Post
Kind of disappointing to hear this because honestly it would have made perfect sense to get a good veteran goalie for the 1 year. The only reason why maybe this is being denied is because Chicago maybe wants a lot more then the Kings will give up for a high salary 1 year contract goalie where it wouldn't make a difference for the Kings or not.

But the reason why I am disappointed is because it will give Bernier an extra year to develop and Khabibulin can win us a more games than LaBarbara will and it may actually build more confidence to our young defense. LaBarbara won't win us any games and lose us more than anything which then could hurt the confidence of the young D.
Khabibulin wont make a difference here. No reason in wasting picks or prospects on a guy who isnt going to make a difference when the big problem is defense.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Soundwave

The Kings missed out on Stamkos, I think they're aiming for Tavares this season, that's the goal.

Getting Khabibulin might screw up their draft positioning, I don't see them taking that route. Spending almost $7 million dollars of Lombardi's money just to finish say 13th overall instead of 15th is stupid.

If the team as is surprises and is in the hunt for the playoffs come trade deadline, then I would expect their management to shift gears and get more immediate help.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:42 AM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Khabibulin wont make a difference here. No reason in wasting picks or prospects on a guy who isnt going to make a difference when the big problem is defense.
We wouldn't be losing resources if it was Labarbara for Bulin striaght up. Bulin I think will help work with our young D a lot better than Labarbara will. Plus Bulin may actually keep us in some games to where he may make our young d better faster. And if a team needs a goalie near the end we will get more for him then what we spent to get him.

GoKingsGo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:44 AM
salty justice

Does anyone think a deal centering around Khabibulin and Calder could work? The Hawks would need to throw more in, but it seems like a situation where both teams benefit.

Calder has been one of the worst players in the league since leaving Chicago whilst being vastly overpaid and you can bet your ass Khabibulin will be standing on his head in his contract year.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Piffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Does anyone think a deal centering around Khabibulin and Calder could work? The Hawks would need to throw more in, but it seems like a situation where both teams benefit.

Calder has been one of the worst players in the league since leaving Chicago whilst being vastly overpaid and you can bet your ass Khabibulin will be standing on his head in his contract year.
No thanks on Calder. We have so many young guys at forward that need some ice time to get experience. Calder would take away ice time from them while not adding anything we really need.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 200
[.our goaltending good, a bit above average even.}

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote