HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Kostopoulos be re-signed?

Old
09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Burty34

vCash: 500
Kostopolous is a perfect team player. Sticks up for his players, won't back down from anyone, no ego, hard work every shift, and reliable defensively. The only draw back will be the money he will chew up. A player like Stewart though, could come up and fill that role on a cheap contract. I think he would do a great job too. All-in-all though, TK is a perfect fit for the team and I would like to keep him.

Burty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 07:27 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

We might have some youngens we want to replace him with. But I like Kostopoulos. He really adds something to our 3rd/4th line. He stood out as one of our top performers in the play-offs.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I would be very surprised if O.Latendresse ever made the NHL.
i dunno it wouldnt suprise me if he did . He was darn close already

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 07:50 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
He's a good 4th liner, I'd keep him.
with lapierre , laraque, chip, begin .... there on the 4rth... i dunno

I could see a rookie starting in mtl on the 4th with laps and laraque... next year.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Toro

like many have said, there are many young forwards pushing for a spot and will need a spot soon. Kosto and begin's days are numbered IMO.

Kosto will prob get another year but one will need to go so i say begin gets the boot.

Stewart, max pac, white will prob start out on the 4th line when they are ready and one by one will replace guys like begin and kosto, although kosto has a chance to improve as he is still young.

Last edited by Toro: 09-09-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Maxpac

Do people here realised that Kosto is signed for atleast next season? Our best 4th line would be Laraque-Chipchura-Lappierre, after players like Stewart, Maxpac and White will be ready, i'm sorry to dissapoint but there's no way Kosto is resigned after next season that's if he even finishes the year with the Habs

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I'd wayyyyy rather Begin then Kostopoulos. Neither has an offensive came to speak of, but Begin is a far better checker and is fearless on the pk blocking shots. A true warrior and an asset to any team that wants to contend for the cup.
...yeah he's not the type of guy to take a dumbass penalty in a crucial moment. I hope I don't see Bégin in a Habs uniform again.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:33 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Habs need to make room for Stewart and D'Agostini sooner than later . You also have Aubin , O.Latendresse and probably Maxpac , that could be ready next year .

It was said that there aren't really much room to add a prospect this season ( maybe one of D'Agostini or Stewart ) . I suppose that the Habs will need to add 2-3 players the next season , or they will loose them to the waive .
Aubin, O. Latendresse will probably never play for the habs, they are barely AHLers. D'Agostini, his window of opportunity will close soon, he got probably the next 2 years, then hes gonna have to compete with 2008's picks.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Rayne*

Kosto >>>> Begin.

I'd keep him.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:43 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
...yeah he's not the type of guy to take a dumbass penalty in a crucial moment. I hope I don't see Bégin in a Habs uniform again.
Yet you are probably one of these "Jesus Price" guys who make up 101 bs excuses as to why Price coulnd't save a beach ball in the playoffs. He choked. Begin's dumb penalty would never have matter if our goalie was doing his job and our forwards could hit an empty net!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Yet you are probably one of these "Jesus Price" guys who make up 101 bs excuses as to why Price coulnd't save a beach ball in the playoffs. He choked. Begin's dumb penalty would never have matter if our goalie was doing his job and our forwards could hit an empty net!
Good lord he was 20 years old, he didnt choke. Not to mention that Komisarek and Markov sucked through the whole playoffs..or well atleast the Philly series.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Good lord he was 20 years old, he didnt choke. Not to mention that Komisarek and Markov sucked through the whole playoffs..or well atleast the Philly series.
I think he choked. I don't care how old you are, that was just a complete mental breakdown. I hope he will one day live up to his hype but he MUST get more mentally tough. Last year he would get on a roll, but then just 1 bad goal and it totally gets the better of him and he gets steam rolled.

Old
09-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Uhhhh, no.

But I've seen Bégin taking absolutelty dumb penalties more than once over the years.

Old
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Uhhhh, no.

But I've seen Bégin taking absolutelty dumb penalties more than once over the years.
So has Koivu and Kovalev and many top tier players in the league.

Begin can hit a block shots on a level with Komisarek. We need him.

Old
09-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Sthabs

Well obviously it s way too early to tell but...
I d prefer resigning Kosto before begin or dandeneault. I love Stevie, he s a real spark plug, I remember myself saying last year that we actually missed begins energy in the game. We actually still do miss some reckless,scareless hockey. Some guys that wont think twice before going into the corners.
However with the cap space, with begins penalty and being injury prone, with the emergence of the youngsters, I can t see us resingning Begin.
But even Tommy K, IF we gowith 3 off lines then there s only room for 4 counting the extra player.
With Laraque Lapierre and Chip, we ll need a spot for maybe a guy like Stewart or D ago the next year. I just dont think it would be a wise option of resigning any of Begin Dandeneault Tko and Bouillon. That s a lot of cap space.
Or Maybe as a 14th forward or if we go with one checking and one energy line. Or maybe if Bob makes a trade and gets rids of a few prospects , but then again..everything and nothing could happen.
For next year he should do fine...(TK) but UFAs wants some long contracts, anything more than 1 year after this year will probably be too long for us and he ll probably want to cash out, so he ll realise that we re just unfortunately not a good option for him and he probably isnt for us.
But he s an amazing guy tho. All heart.

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
So has Koivu and Kovalev and many top tier players in the league.

Begin can hit a block shots on a level with Komisarek. We need him.
I guess you're right. Bégin is great. How did the Red Wings win the cup without Bégin?

Old
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
I guess you're right. Bégin is great. How did the Red Wings win the cup without Bégin?
they won 2 cups with Dandeneault . We should keep him instead of Kostopoulos or Bégin ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Habs need to make room for Stewart and D'Agostini sooner than later . You also have Aubin , O.Latendresse and probably Maxpac , that could be ready next year .

Dude yeah that might be ready next year...for the AHL

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Do people here realised that Kosto is signed for atleast next season? Our best 4th line would be Laraque-Chipchura-Lappierre, after players like Stewart, Maxpac and White will be ready, i'm sorry to dissapoint but there's no way Kosto is resigned after next season that's if he even finishes the year with the Habs
I would rather have experienced journeymen playing on the fourth line than Chipchura or Lapierre. Remember what happened in the playoffs? Kostopoulos and Smolinski formed our best line for stretches and consistantly our second best line. Having experience and grit on the fourth line trumps just giving it to young players. You have no idea that Chipchura and Lapierre have any presidence over Kostopoulos. You also have no idea if White, Stewart or Pacioretty will even crack the lineup. Just because they are younger doesn't mean they bring more to the table. Kostopoulos is a great player to have on the fourth line. He brings leadership, grit, and he has averaged 20 points a season. To say that he has no chance of being in the future of this team is ridiculous. He has just as more merit IMO as players like Laraque, Chipchura, Lapierre, Begin and Dandenault.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
i dunno it wouldnt suprise me if he did . He was darn close already
He isn't even a lock for the AHL this year.... He's not darn close.

Quote:
Two years in a row your season ends on a Begin penalty.... Thats a problem.

Don't worry buddy... there are some hot guys on the other team who actually have room. I didn't tell them about you being either, so you should be okay to shower with them.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-09-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Corey

If Kostopoulos isn't re-signed, it won't be because Gainey and Carbonneau are displeased with him. It'll be because they have to make difficult personnel decisions and there won't be enough room for him, although his chances ought to be better than those of Bégin or Dandenault. I think he'd get a job somewhere else if the Habs don't pick him up.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:18 AM
peperebougon*

He'll end up a bruin....I'd keep him though. I looooooooved him in the playoffs! I'd offer him to take a paycut to stay...750 000$ is the maximum I'd give a 4th liner.Begin too. 750 000...take it or leave it.

BTW I can't wait to see Dandy go... He should be the one out...let's keep both Bégin and Kosto on the team with one year contracts. In the playoffs, you need guys like these. Their contribution is underrated. To me they deserve their spot and they bring something special. Maybe Stewart could step in though and replace one of the 2. They earned their spots and it's up to the young guys to take it away from them. Let them work for it. No free passes anymore!

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

As long as he remains cheap, of course he gets resigned. I think he deserves a contract after the last season he put in, and if he puts in another of equal or greater impact then it's a no brainer, I think.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
JrHockeyFan

I think that the Habs find a way to keep him.

Character players who work hard all the time are not as common a commodity as one would think. I think he proved his worth last yr

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:28 AM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Kosto >>>> Begin.

I'd keep him.
agree.

anyone that doesn't like the greek god isn't a real Habs fan.

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote