HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor - Shanny Back?

Old
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
^^^

i totally disagree

its time to move on....sather has done a TON of retooling and gotten this team young and fast.....he got rid of jagr, straka, malik, backman, tyutin etc. because they didnt fit the style....and now he should bring back one of them?....why?....IMO straka would be the better choice

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:34 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

^^^

i totally agree

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
GarretJoseph*

I expected this on this board. A prospects board. Older players don't get the respect they deserve on these boards. Perhaps prospects don't get the the respect they deserve on other boards. Gotta find one in the middle. I wonder where Sather posts. :-)

Seriously though, Shanny will be a nice signing if its for one season only. Lets see how he gels in pre-season, earlier part of the year. If he tanks it, then we can release him or deal him. If we tank it and Shanny is doing alright, we can get a 2nd for him at the deadline.

He gives it his all, thats all I can ask of a player. Oh and to score..ha.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:43 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
^^^

i totally disagree

its time to move on....sather has done a TON of retooling and gotten this team young and fast.....he got rid of jagr, straka, malik, backman, tyutin etc. because they didnt fit the style....and now he should bring back one of them?....why?....IMO straka would be the better choice
Move onto, what exactly? Naslund being the influential force on the team? I still don't get how a shoe in, first ballot hall of famer that still has some in the tank and still can show the youngsters more than almost anyone in the entire league is let to walk. Please, show me the argument. Not only that, but would you please show me the top goal scorers on this team from last season, I'm sure a geezer like Shanny couldn't compete, right?

BTW: To put anyone outside of Jagr on Shanny's level shows your incompetence to appreciate the game and who plays it at so many levels.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Move onto, what exactly? Naslund being the influential force on the team? I still don't get how a shoe in, first ballot hall of famer that still has some in the tank and still can show the youngsters more than almost anyone in the entire league is let to walk. Please, show me the argument. Not only that, but would you please show me the top goal scorers on this team from last season, I'm sure a geezer like Shanny couldn't compete, right?

BTW: To put anyone outside of Jagr on Shanny's level shows your incompetence to appreciate the game and who plays it at so many levels.
Whoa whoa.... i dont think its about appreciation or the recognition of a great... its not about that.

Ive always loved Shanny, but i think the way this team is tooled and where Shanny would fit in doesnt work.

How many years has Shanahan played 3rd or 4th line minutes? Will Renney even give him 4th line minutes?

Besides all that... i think its more about the overturn in personnel and the new system Renney plans on implementing than Shanahan's legacy as a player or leadership. To me a veteran leader like a Shanahan's presence could be just as detrimental to a team as it could be a positive one. Its easy to say his effect in the lockerroom is underrated and his effect on the kids is all for good, but do we really know that? Is his presence stopping a younger player from gaining necessary experience?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
BklyNYR4Life

I loved watching shanny in rangers blue, but him being back goes against basically everything done this offseason. beyond the fact that it takes a roster spot, and potentially valuable ice time from any of many kids who are ready to step up this year, it philisophically doesn't bode well when this team is not willing to truly move forward

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:29 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I was truly against this before when it came down to it, but now that it's almost inevitable that he's going to sign, I ask at least three things:

1) Get rid of Prucha. Trade him for something valuable while he's still worth SOMETHING. Decent roster player. 2nd round pick. 6th/7th d-man. something.

2) Do NOT make him captain. While he's certainly a great leader and is always making me happy by his constant appeal of questionable calls out on the ice, I really don't want to see it handed out as if it's some complimentary gift. If he wasn't 40, fine, but he's 40, so give it to Drury or Gomer.

3) Get rid of either Rissmiller and/or Voros, and let Shanahan play third line while bumping Dubinsky to the top six.

HONESTLY, I don't see how he affects the PP that much. For crying out loud the guy scored double digit goals on the PP. He doesn't hurt it. He's especially not hurting time for a kid to do much on it because what kid has done much on it or really will? Dubinsky had 1 PP goal last year. You can still throw kids and Shanny into it.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Anyone who wants to let Shanny walk is crazy. Where was he last season in goals for this team? When has he EVER been a force with his skating? Please, this team need not only his leadership/presence, but his shot is still elite in this league as anyone. I'd take him back on almost any terms ASAP.
And when crunch time came--say mid January on--how many goals did he score?***

And how many goals will Shanahan score if he's not getting as much ice time as last year? And not playing with a player like Gomez?

Shanahan is not the missing piece to this organization winning the Stanley Cup. It's time to move on.

***8 goals and 7 assists, less than 1/3 of his total points came after Jan 5th.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:53 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post

Shanahan is not the missing piece to this organization winning the Stanley Cup.
Unfortunately neither his his replacement, whomever that may be. So let him play on the third line with Dubinsky. There's not much pie left. If he'll take the little piece thats left he's low risk, high reward.

If a kid from Hartford wants his spot let him beat him out for it. If he cant beat Shanny out, than he's not the missing piece either.

09-10-2008, 12:16 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:

And how many goals will Shanahan score if he's not getting as much ice time as last year? And not playing with a player like Gomez?

Shanahan is not the missing piece to this organization winning the Stanley Cup. It's time to move on.

in all due fairness to the guy, it's not like we were scoring by the ton last season

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:20 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

I think that has a lot to do with the makeup of the team last year. Shanahan was injured and forced to return in the midst of a playoff run because this team never hasn't had a legitimately easy shot at making the playoffs post-lockout, yet.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
I think that has a lot to do with the makeup of the team last year. Shanahan was injured and forced to return in the midst of a playoff run because this team never hasn't had a legitimately easy shot at making the playoffs post-lockout, yet.
But, what was the point of having him play hurt? It was clear that he had a problem that made him much less effective and unable to contribute. However, no one was willing or able to get him to sit long enough and actually heal. And maybe if someone had been able to get him out of the lineup long enough, he would have been more effective in the playoffs. We keep hearing about all the depth there is in the organizaion, but when the time has come to use it, the organization keeps refusing to use them. If every single game is so important that a rookie can't be trusted there is something wrong with the game plan.

As I've been saying all along, it's time to move on. If signing Shanahan isn't the missing piece to a Stanley Cup, I think it's time to see what the organzation's depth looks like. Players like Dawes, Callahan and Dubinsky (and Prucha and Sjostrom) all need to be able to grow and that means giving them more responsibility and more ice time when it matters. We need to know if they are part of the core that will hopefully make this organization a contender year after year. And we need to leave just a little bit of room for a player to earn their way onto the roster. It's time to move on.

Old
09-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Unfortunately neither his his replacement, whomever that may be. So let him play on the third line with Dubinsky. There's not much pie left. If he'll take the little piece thats left he's low risk, high reward.

If a kid from Hartford wants his spot let him beat him out for it. If he cant beat Shanny out, than he's not the missing piece either.
Obviously, I disagree. Shanahan will only be around for one more season, tops. His replacement may prove to be a keeper and he a useful player for the organization for years to come. And if nothing else he'll gain valuable experience and learn what it takes to play in the NHL. You're hoping against hope that a soon to be 40 year old will have enough left in the tank to surprise everyone and turn back the clock, just one more time. But, experience shows that something like that rarely happens. I'm willing to take the chance.

Old
09-10-2008, 01:46 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

so you want the team to score as many goals as they did last year this year?.....

you obviously didnt fully read what i wrote, i said i dont want shanny back because he is, at this point in his career, a 3rd line player.....how many goals would you expect from him on the third line without top pp minutes and not playing with a player like gomez?......honestly answer the question....most players would have worse years if their minutes went down, they lost their pp time and went from playing with the teams best playmaker to the third line....but hey, maybe shanny could do it.

i have no problem with his mentoring skills, but at some point you have to say think you and move on.....honestly, you would rather play shanahan on the back-end of his career than give some playing time to callahan or fritsche?....two young players with promise...

and dont tell me i am overvaluing them because i have stated it many times....i like players who force the issue, get in the other teams face and cause things to happen instead of reacting.....if you watched shanny last season he doesnt go into the dirty areas and battle for the puck....he dumps the puck in or shoots from the outside because he doesnt have the speed or the power to do so anymore.......

but hey, maybe im totally incompetent and cant appreciate anyone who plays this game at any level.......or maybe i just see players for what they are NOW and not what they used to be over their entire career

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:47 AM
mti79

Why don't we keep Shanny in the wings for a few weeks... let him participate in camp and see how he fits in, have him in as a "tryout" or "invite" or whatever... see if Dawes, Prucha, Cally or Sjo can possibly fill the spot. If they prove they can't, then bring Shanny in later. His legs will be fresher and that can't hurt. If someone proves they can fill the second line role, then so be it and let Shanny move on.
Oh, and I know Prucha has never been a proven scorer before his rookie year, but, some people develop later. His stats decreased once Shanny joined this team. There's always the chance that he finds his form once again if given a real chance on this team.
No matter what happens, I will root for the New York Rangers. I cheer for the jersey. I may be upset with some of the decisions but I will root with everything I have for anyone wearing the jersey.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:48 AM
mucker*

I don't see why bringing Shanny is a problem.
I thought you'd be excited and call it a good thing.

The Rangers have very little PROVEN depth at wing right now.
Scoring was a problem last season.
If they suffer an injury or Prucha or others perform sub-par, which can very well happen, they'll have a lot of problems.

Why not sign Shanny to be a 3rd liner and help out for depth plus the power play?

What's the big deal?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 05:46 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:

do you understand what severe knee injury means? ok than you should know a guy who has 1 good leg isint going to put up hat tricks nightly ,he played his heart out and thats all i expect of him.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucked View Post
I thought you'd be excited and call it a good thing.

The Rangers have very little PROVEN depth at wing right now.
Scoring was a problem last season.
If they suffer an injury or Prucha or others perform sub-par, which can very well happen, they'll have a lot of problems.

Why not sign Shanny to be a 3rd liner and help out for depth plus the power play?

What's the big deal?
That's because you're new here.... You'll learn

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
That's because you're new here.... You'll learn
This one is truly a touh call

I am one of those that thinks just let the young players like Prucha play more and see what they can do

On the other hand how do you say that when Shanny still popped over 20 goals and is a hall of fame leader

If he does come in I think Prucha has to be moved as their is just no room

And where would Shanny play?

I mean he is slower so should be a 3rd line player now in my books..............ahhhhhh well let's see what the heck happens before camp starts

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:42 AM
shoothepuck

He brings intangibles that others just don't have. If Glen signs him, you hope it's for a minimal price. The problem is that Tom will not use him effectively, as he has shown in the past. While he can score 20 goals, on the 3/4th line he won't get those numbers. He only had 1 goal on the playoffs, so you have to question the risk/reward ratio .

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

With the amount of hardball that appears to have been going on, and that fact that Shanny is dying to play again in New York, I think the Rangers have the upperhand.

That said, if the management signs Shanny with the explicit understanding that his a 4th line guy, for a cheap price, who will get some PP time on the second unit... getting 8-10 min TOPS per game, and he can still be used in the shootouts... then I say you have to go for it.

What other veteran presence do you have out there? Hall of fame presence?

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
With the amount of hardball that appears to have been going on, and that fact that Shanny is dying to play again in New York, I think the Rangers have the upperhand.

That said, if the management signs Shanny with the explicit understanding that his a 4th line guy, for a cheap price, who will get some PP time on the second unit... getting 8-10 min TOPS per game, and he can still be used in the shootouts... then I say you have to go for it.

What other veteran presence do you have out there? Hall of fame presence?
Billy, what you fail to see is that - regardless of what might be said at the time of signing - when the games actually start, Shanny will immediately move into the role of 2nd line winger the moment the team hits its first rough patch.

You see it time and time again. It's a crutch for the coach. He feels heat, he has to do something, so he puts in the guy who has done it before - even if that guy doesn't have it anymore. That way he can say "hey, I put in the sure fire hall of famer. It's not my fault he didn't perform." (And conversely, if he puts the kid in OVER the sure fire HOF and it doesn't work out... he leaves himself open to second guessing and job worries.)

As Rangers fans who lived through Mark Messier part II, we are intimately familiar with this phenomenon. If you want to transition the team, you cannot have Shanny on the roster.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucked View Post
This is the only answer that needs to be given...

Quote:
...we need to leave just a little bit of room for a player to earn their way onto the roster.
mti, I agree with you that this is nothing more than an audition. I say there's no chance that Shanny is signed until the team can see what he's got left and gauges it against their other options. Could be at the end of camp, could be after the season starts, could be never. Sather just isn't going to sign this guy for a walk down memory lane. He's only coming aboard if the team thinks they need him.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Interesting comment from Shanny in today's Post:

Quote:
"I appreciate compliments about my role as a leader or mentor, but I'm not playing in the NHL this year to be a, 'Good locker room guy,' " said Shanahan, who was third on the team last year with 23 goals. "I'm coming to play hard on both sides of the puck, to attack and defend, and to help my team win games.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:44 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
mti, I agree with you that this is nothing more than an audition. I say there's no chance that Shanny is signed until the team can see what he's got left and gauges it against their other options. Could be at the end of camp, could be after the season starts, could be never. Sather just isn't going to sign this guy for a walk down memory lane. He's only coming aboard if the team thinks they need him.
This I would actually have no problem with - not because I want him beating out any of the other players (and people in favor of signing him should remember that we have 14-15 forwards ready to play on the big club WITHOUT taking into account any kids who may pull a Dubinsky this year and force their way onto the roster), but because I think it's a classy thing to do. It gives him the opportunity get ready for the season and show his stuff so that he can catch on with another club that is better positioned to use his talents. (Same reason I don't mind the Nedved try-out.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote