HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do you have a legitimate chance to make the NHL?

Old
09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
AHF

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AHF
If there's a team looking for an out-of-shape 25-year old that has a no slap shot to speak of, I'm their man!

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I played NCAA for a full 4 years and went undrafted mainly due to size. I'm in the ECHL and played a few call up games for the Lowell devils in the AHL but chances are I never see the bigs. I just turned 23 and last season i had close to 50 points in 70 games as a defenseman so I'm hoping for a full time spot on Lowell this season but who knows, gotta work my butt off. I dont really want to say my name since i dont know who is on here and i'm an obvious fan of a rival of my program.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I played NCAA for a full 4 years and went undrafted mainly due to size. I'm in the ECHL and played a few call up games for the Lowell devils in the AHL but chances are I never see the bigs. I just turned 23 and last season i had close to 50 points in 70 games as a defenseman so I'm hoping for a full time spot on Lowell this season but who knows, gotta work my butt off. I dont really want to say my name since i dont know who is on here and i'm an obvious fan of a rival of my program.
I won't say your name but it took me about 3 minutes on google and I'm pretty sure I figured out who you are. Hope you have a good season this year.

Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:07 PM
HybridStylez*

If you are post on HF... then obviously not... hahaha but who knows..

HybridStylez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Sportacus
:)

I was too far behind when I started playing hockey at age 7.

09-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
I won't say your name but it took me about 3 minutes on google and I'm pretty sure I figured out who you are. Hope you have a good season this year.
I also figured it out pretty quickly...that was a lot of specifics to stay anonymous with

Either way, sincerely, all the best this year!

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:37 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Ive been offered tryouts for a couple minor league teams, namely the PeeDee Cyclones, and sort of (through a friend once on the team) the greenville growl . . but that was a few years ago, im still only 22 and in school playing club roller hockey . . so NHL no . . but if I really want to I could play for money . . . or pennies

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:42 PM
deanosaur

I think we all did the research on that guy Good luck, I expect a few sticks in the mail!

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:47 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Well, at age 27 I just started playing ice hockey this winter. So far in the beginners division my career stats are:
07-08 winter: 8-5-3-8 (we joined in on a training program in February)
08 Summer: 14-8-12-20
08-09 Winter: 1-1-0-1

Considering my rate of progression I think I can make it in another 5 years . If only I had started when I was younger though, I would be in my rightful place beside the Sedin Twins!
What being a sissy and cowering and crying in the corner of the bench after Phaenuef lines you up???

Gonna be a tough year for ya nucker especially in cow town... Will you at least cheer on the flames in finals when the nucks are playing golf??

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:00 AM
SpokaneChiefs

Yea, that took all of about 2 minutes to figure out!

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:11 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus View Post
I was too far behind when I started playing hockey at age 7.
That's not so bad... I hadn't worn a pair of skates until I was 12, and didn't play my first ice hockey game until I was 14.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Sony Eriksson*

The best i ever did was played for the Ft. Worth Fire in the Central Hockey League years and years ago but sat on the bench most of the season. Injuries really hit me hard.. I had 2 reconstructive shoulder surgeries and a rod inserted into my femur and that pretty much summed up my career. I still play in pick up games but stick to mostly coaching these days.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
If I wasn't such an idiot I was told I had the skills to make it.

Now that I can barely skate because of my knees, I'd love to get into coaching. If I can't play, I might as well help others do it.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Randall Graves*

I can fire a wrist shot..but there's no ice out here on the central coast of california. I like to hit people, but these weiners out here don't know how to take a hit.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:13 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

At this point, with my 20th birthday just around the corner, I'd have to say no. Had you asked me this during the first two years of high school, then yes, there was a decent/good chance before an awful junior year (see: missing half of season due to a broken arm, falling out with the coach leading to my stupidly leaving the team). I could/should(?) have been playing juniors by that time but I opted to stay in school for at least my junior year and wasn't against the idea of staying for my senior year as well and going the college route rather than playing juniors.

But yeah, at this point, no. My hands aren't what they used to be, mainly due to MMA taking up a lot of my time, and on top of that I'm in an awesome relationship and wouldn't want to be away from her (and future kiddies).

CannonGoBoom, just a question, and not one that's going to change my opinion of you or anything stupid like that. When the Flyers play the Devils, does a little part of you cry inside?

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Allen Degenerate
Rookie User

vCash: 50
Half the people on HF would have made it to the NHL, if not for injuries.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Congo

Well, if anyone wants a smaller, non-skilled Eric Lindros, my door is always open.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo View Post
Well, if anyone wants a smaller, non-skilled Eric Lindros, my door is always open.
Don't forget, door open...and head up.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:53 AM
octopi

It depends...are we going to have a resurgence of some incurable type of polio and I'm one of the .0001% of people who will have a natural immunity? Then yes.

Otherwise, I'm more likely to be selected for the next space shuttle mission.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
If there's a team looking for an out-of-shape 25-year old that has a no slap shot to speak of, I'm their man!
Hi, this is the GM of the New York Islanders calling...

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
What being a sissy and cowering and crying in the corner of the bench after Phaenuef lines you up???

Gonna be a tough year for ya nucker especially in cow town... Will you at least cheer on the flames in finals when the nucks are playing golf??
Hah, some of them try, but with my calm demeanor and my superior intellectual capacity and hockey knowledge it quickle becomes apparent that any effort in trashtalking to me is futile.

Though I do have to admit, for my own hockey aspirations, I shoot Left handed and am settling into the LW position, so I don't think I could ever truly be the Sedins RW. I may have to settle for playing LW with Langkow and Iginla

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:38 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Hi, this is the GM of the New York Islanders calling...
Yeah, I'd like a lifelong contract please.

...and performance bonuses* too, dammit!

-----------------

*$25,000 for every shot that misses the net.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Stealthmode16

I've been playing in the NHL for the last couple years. I am easily one of the best players out there too. The noon hockey league just wouldn't be the same without me.

Stealthmode16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
buffalowing88

college hockey but by no means a prestigious or talented team. ACHA division 3.
I was offered a tryout for an ECHL team, charlotte checkers, but almost certainly would not have made it had I chosen to attend. All dangling and passing, absolutely not a good contact or fundamentals player.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I also figured it out pretty quickly...that was a lot of specifics to stay anonymous with

Either way, sincerely, all the best this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I think we all did the research on that guy Good luck, I expect a few sticks in the mail!
I didnt do a great job hiding it because i really dont mind if people know who i am on here. A bunch of people already know i just ask not to name drop in convos. I dont want someone doing a search of my name on here and see its me saying hey guys my name is....... and I'm a flyers fan! You never know whos on here and you never know who may stumble upon that, there are players from the east coast league i played with that i know are on here and choose to stay out of convos like this or any questions about their own playing. you would be surprised how many guys on are here but because of where they play and contract situations they want to stay on the safe side. thank you guys for the luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
CannonGoBoom, just a question, and not one that's going to change my opinion of you or anything stupid like that. When the Flyers play the Devils, does a little part of you cry inside?
I get asked questions like that all the time. Pretty much everyone knows im a diehard flyers fan and so honestly when the flyers play the devils i want the flyers to win. Nothing has changed at all like that. The way i see it, i do not play for the devils and never have so i really dont have an emotional ties to the NHL squad. I know a few guys, younger players and have skated with most of them at one time or another but until I'm at least a fringe NHL player I will be a flyers fan. I get asked a lot if i would still be a flyers fan if i made the NHL and to that i say...hell no, once i'm in the league thats my competition, my rival and those are the guys trying to take our spot in the standings.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote