HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Kostopoulos be re-signed?

Old
09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Not sure where the "Kosto or Begin" thing comes from. IMO Begin is on his last legs. I love the guy but his body just doesn't seem like it's going to hold up much longer.

As for Kosto, I would bring him back but the price would have to be right. The NHL is a cap world now and you can't be paying fourth liners too much. The Habs have a lot of big contract renewals coming up and I'd imagine Kosto would be low on the list if he doesn't take a small salary. Having young players on small contracts who can play at the NHL level is key to success in working the cap.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Type of decision that if we keep him, it will be fine and a good decision, if we don't, it won't matter and it will be a good decision.

Not against keeping in the same type of role, meaning 4th liner/healthy scratch. I think there are better out there, but there are worst as well. Wouldn't it be better to go for a rookie at one point? Would we like to add a faster player that plays that same type of role (like a Jarkko Ruuttu).

But again, keep or don't, I'm fine with it.

We do need to know his contribution in the dressing room though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Not sure where the "Kosto or Begin" thing comes from. IMO Begin is on his last legs. I love the guy but his body just doesn't seem like it's going to hold up much longer.

As for Kosto, I would bring him back but the price would have to be right. The NHL is a cap world now and you can't be paying fourth liners too much. The Habs have a lot of big contract renewals coming up and I'd imagine Kosto would be low on the list if he doesn't take a small salary. Having young players on small contracts who can play at the NHL level is key to success in working the cap.
Those small contracts should only be used on rookies, not 4th liners. Like i said twice in this thread, it's almost certian that next year the 4th line will be Laraque-Chipchura-Lappierre, there's no room for kosto after this year

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Those small contracts should only be used on rookies, not 4th liners. Like i said twice in this thread, it's almost certian that next year the 4th line will be Laraque-Chipchura-Lappierre, there's no room for kosto after this year
I can't wait to see that line. Weird to say about a 4th line group, but if we're in such a good position next year that Chipchura is the 4th centre on our depth chart, I gotta see that lineup.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
With the young guys here and on the way(Stewart possibly), Begin and Kosto are on their last season here...maybe even gone before that...Dandy also.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Dandes

I don't think so. With Laraque, Lapierre and Begin (if he stays healthy) the canadiens doesn't need Kosto. I was so happy when gainey grabs him but we have to face the true, his hockey's assets won't convince anyone when it will be the time for big decisions.

Dandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandes View Post
I don't think so. With Laraque, Lapierre and Begin (if he stays healthy) the canadiens doesn't need Kosto. I was so happy when gainey grabs him but we have to face the true, his hockey's assets won't convince anyone when it will be the time for big decisions.
I'd put Kosto ahead of Begin and Dandenault in terms of production. Kosto is bigger and faster than Begin, and has more hockey sense than Dandy.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

It all depends on how this year goes for him. You need guys like Kosto on the fourth line who gives it his all every shift. He was one of our better players in the playoffs and the kind of guy you go to war with. Begin used to be that guy but his body is breaking down and can't last a full season. If we have the caproom I would sign him.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

The Habs are past the rebuilding stage and they need some veterans. As the recent playoffs demonstrated, Kostopoulos and Smolinski performed better than youngsters such as Latendresse and Lapierre.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 03:06 PM
NewHabsEra*

I like him but he is a fourth liner and we already have Laraque under contract for the next 3 years, we have Lapierre, we have Greg Stewart who impressed me alot when called up.. I would be surprised if he resign but its not impossible, he is a quality grinder.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I like him but he is a fourth liner and we already have Laraque under contract for the next 3 years, we have Lapierre, we have Greg Stewart who impressed me alot when called up.. I would be surprised if he resign but its not impossible, he is a quality grinder.
His one game was great... but he's got far more to do.

I bet you thought Lapierre would be an offensive superstar when he scored 4 goals in his first 5 games when he first got called up.

We need a bigger sample. Quite frankly Stewart never looked as dominant in the AHL as he did in one NHL game.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
His one game was great... but he's got far more to do.

I bet you thought Lapierre would be an offensive superstar when he scored 4 goals in his first 5 games when he first got called up.

We need a bigger sample. Quite frankly Stewart never looked as dominant in the AHL as he did in one NHL game.
You loss your bet, I always described Lapierre as a future quality grinder since the first few games I saw him play in junior with I.P.E. and I remember that I was one of the few on this board suggesting the fans to calm down after scoring a bunch of goals when called up..

While I agree that its too soon to say without any doubt that Stewart will play on our fourth line in the near future, I still can say that the kid impressed me alot with his solid all around game when called up and that he looked like a futur quality grinder as well..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

No I want Stewart

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
You loss your bet, I always described Lapierre as a future quality grinder since the first few games I saw him play in junior with I.P.E. and I remember that I was one of the few on this board suggesting the fans to calm down after scoring a bunch of goals when called up..

While I agree that its too soon to say without any doubt that Stewart will play on our fourth line in the near future, I still can say that the kid impressed me alot with his solid all around game when called up and that he looked like a futur quality grinder as well..
I got to agree with you, I am anxious to see Stewart in Montreal. It's hard to judge with just one game but he was good throughout the game. I like the head on his shoulders and the choices he made and the playes he made. The kid showed heart and energy and a willingness to battle. Sure he needs some more time in Hamilton but IMO next year he will be ready.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Habs are past the rebuilding stage and they need some veterans. As the recent playoffs demonstrated, Kostopoulos and Smolinski performed better than youngsters such as Latendresse and Lapierre.
that's bull....

What about A.Kost, S.Kost, Geroges and Higgins who we're all at there 1st playoff experience too? Smolinski was ok the first 3 games againts the Bruins but slowly dissapeird asd the playoffs went on, Kosto i agree, was consistent, but our core needed that ''1st NHL playoff expericence'' in order to get better in the future. Now they know what it is and what it takes to perform. You should also mention the fact Latendresse was playing with grinders who played an even more defensive game, so he never really got the chance to prove himself, and that's another thing that will change next year cause it's 100% guaranted that the habs will bring 3 offensive lines, so there's no Dandenault or Lappierre to prevent from bering on the scoreboard

Old
09-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Turboflex*

Kostopolos and Begin will be re-signed as long as this current season is as good as their previous. They'll be signed for 1.25m or less, perfectly reasonable contracts for veteren forwards who bring it hard to the opposition and can be trusted to PK, the kind of sandpaper a team needs, especially in the playoffs. Even Detroit has it's Maltby's and Draper's. Stewart will be worked into lineup over next 2 years, getting games in when Begin is injured and/or BGL, Lapierre, Kosto get their pressbox nights off.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
that's bull....

What about A.Kost, S.Kost, Geroges and Higgins who we're all at there 1st playoff experience too? Smolinski was ok the first 3 games againts the Bruins but slowly dissapeird asd the playoffs went on, Kosto i agree, was consistent, but our core needed that ''1st NHL playoff expericence'' in order to get better in the future. Now they know what it is and what it takes to perform. You should also mention the fact Latendresse was playing with grinders who played an even more defensive game, so he never really got the chance to prove himself, and that's another thing that will change next year cause it's 100% guaranted that the habs will bring 3 offensive lines, so there's no Dandenault or Lappierre to prevent from bering on the scoreboard
After the Habs went ahead of Boston 3 games to 1, the youngsters, and that includes the brothers, faded away for the rest of the playoffs. Latendresse? Spare me the excuses for his lack of productivity. He wasn't even dressed for a couple of games, as I recall, which says something about how Carbonneau regarded his play.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:09 PM
guest1467

Quote:
that's bull....

You need experience in the lineup, it is as simple as that. And it is very worth while to have experience on your grinding or checking line. Look at the last winners:

Detriot: Drake, Maltby, Draper.
Anahiem: Marchant, May, R. Niedermayer.
Carolina: Cullen, Recchi, Wieght, Adams.
Tampa Bay: Andreychuk, Taylor, Clymer.

You need to have some grinders that you can count on to get the job done. Having Lapierre and Chipchura is not going to cut it. Players like these are often the unsung heroes on the team, they are the guys in the trenchs that grind it out and provide leadership. Yes, you have to have youth, but you need to have guys that have been around the block to help you out. One prime example is last playoffs with Kostopoulos and Smolinski.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
After the Habs went ahead of Boston 3 games to 1, the youngsters, and that includes the brothers, faded away for the rest of the playoffs. Latendresse? Spare me the excuses for his lack of productivity. He wasn't even dressed for a couple of games, as I recall, which says something about how Carbonneau regarded his play.
The bros with Koivu we're the only players who we're actually creating something againts Philly. Sometimes there is excuses of why a player can't perform to his full potential, would Koivu or Kovalev have done better playing with who Latendresse was playing in the playoffs? He was useless out there cause he's a finisher playing on a grinder line, it's not his role, i hope your short term memory is better then your long....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
You need experience in the lineup, it is as simple as that. And it is very worth while to have experience on your grinding or checking line. Look at the last winners:

Detriot: Drake, Maltby, Draper.
Anahiem: Marchant, May, R. Niedermayer.
Carolina: Cullen, Recchi, Wieght, Adams.
Tampa Bay: Andreychuk, Taylor, Clymer.

You need to have some grinders that you can count on to get the job done. Having Lapierre and Chipchura is not going to cut it. Players like these are often the unsung heroes on the team, they are the guys in the trenchs that grind it out and provide leadership. Yes, you have to have youth, but you need to have guys that have been around the block to help you out. One prime example is last playoffs with Kostopoulos and Smolinski.
Kovalev, Koivu, Kovalev, Hammer, Komisarek,Markov, Higgins, Tanguay, those are our leading vets, sorry to dissagree but i think that chipchura and Lappierre will get the job done, you have to remember that next year they will be better the last and the same applies in 09-10

Old
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Kovalev, Koivu, Kovalev, Hammer, Komisarek,Markov, Higgins, Tanguay, those are our leading vets, sorry to dissagree but i think that chipchura and Lappierre will get the job done, you have to remember that next year they will be better the last and the same applies in 09-10
Hockey players in reality do not always develop linearly and "level up" consistently like your EA sports team players each season.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2008, 07:44 PM
chitownhabsfan

Why is this question being asked?

Tom Kostopoulos signed a contract for two years through the 2008-2009 season.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=MON

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownhabsfan View Post
Why is this question being asked?

Tom Kostopoulos signed a contract for two years through the 2008-2009 season.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=MON
yeah we know... he's a UFA at the end of this year....

Will he be re-signed for the 2009-10 season? beyond??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 01:16 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

More chances of him being traded than re-signed IMHO.

Unlike Dandenault, some teams might actually be interested in acquiring his services.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 03:53 PM
bhuya71

tom the bomb...i love him especially compared to begin...

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote