HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Byrne

Old
09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't know what pairing he'll be on, either the 2nd or 3rd. If he does well I could see him on the 2nd pairing with Hammer who should be a good partner for him since he's very steady in his own end. If not he'll be with Bouillon.

His offensive upside is something I doubt he'll ever be known for but he does have a cannon of a shot and once he gets more comfortable out there hopefully he'll use it more.
As well as comfortable enough to line someone up once or twice a game for a thundering introduction to the boards. Used to be a fan-favorite moment at Bulldogs games, and might make a few opposing NHL forwards reconsider their approach.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 10:40 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
As well as comfortable enough to line someone up once or twice a game for a thundering introduction to the boards. Used to be a fan-favorite moment at Bulldogs games, and might make a few opposing NHL forwards reconsider their approach.
I can't wait for that.
Next playoffs I really think he and Komisarek will have a huge impact on each series, as the two of them will really be able to lean on opposition forwards.
I also hope OB has 10-12 fights this year.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Sthabs

Quote:

With Komo Hammer and Obyrne , add also laraque and they will be forced to ,more than a few, and we ll have a fun time watching them realising this.

Last edited by Sthabs: 09-08-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 07:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Do we ever have a tendency of over evaluating our players in Montreal...
I think some people are just having fun in this thread. Personally I think very highly of O'Byrne and think he's going to be a very solid NHLer for us. I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a great defensemen or even on the same level as Komisarek.

Quote:
Yea I expect more of that, I still remember the hit he put on the Nucks prospect Elder, oh man was that a massive hit.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Bullsmith

O'Byrne is a bigger hitter than we've seen so far in the NHL. He's been smart enough to play safe as he finds his role.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a great defensemen or even on the same level as Komisarek.
That's certainly not the feeling I got from reading this thread though.

I like Eric Engels' take on O'Byrne when he describes him as a pretty good skater for his size but he needs to improve on his coordination. He looks pretty awkward at times out there. He's still young though and I think that he can have a pretty good career.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Toro

Quote:
That's certainly not the feeling I got from reading this thread though.

I like Eric Engels' take on O'Byrne when he describes him as a pretty good skater for his size but he needs to improve on his coordination. He looks pretty awkward at times out there. He's still young though and I think that he can have a pretty good career.
You like it??? cause its the only one supporting your accusations?

and who the hell is this guy anyway? I bet i have watched more of O'byrne than he. Cause there is no reason to say that he needs help in coordination cause everyone does at that size.No one his size will have the coordination of a 5 foot 11 guy..

If I was to discuss things that Ryan needed to work on it would not be anything to do with skating. I would say to work on choosing when to hit, making good passes and reading the play offensively so as to chip in there more as he gets more comfortable.
the fact remains that the guy is very fast and mobile for as big a guy as him.

Seriously im not sure where your hate for O'byrne comes from other than you need one guy to dump on so you can say that you don't over evaluate habs players.

sorry to rant but you get under my skin in this thread..

Last edited by Toro: 09-09-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Tusk

I think O'Byrne reads better comics than Asterix.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 02:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
I think O'Byrne reads better comics than Asterix.
link?

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Megaforce

My friends neighbours cousin knows O'Byrne and says he's coming to camp with a new attitude, he's determined to only steal murses this year.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
You like it??? cause its the only one supporting your accusations?
I like his take on things because in general, it's well thought out and makes sense. He's not wearing the pink glasses that we see on this forum.

Quote:
and who the hell is this guy anyway? I bet i have watched more of O'byrne than he.
I know who Eric Engels is and I can tell you that he is very well connected to the Montreal Canadiens. Your statement here is a gross mistake and exaggeration, I can tell you that much.

Quote:
Seriously im not sure where your hate for O'byrne comes from other than you need one guy to dump on so you can say that you don't over evaluate habs players.
I don't hate or even dislike O'Byrne. I actually quite like him. I'm sorry you're reading this as hater but whatever rocks your boat. I simply think that he's extremely awkward back there... it's the coordination thing that Eric was referring to. When I read his blurb, I recognized that it wasn't his foot speed as much as his awkwardness that hurts Rhino.

Quote:
link?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:41 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
O'Byrne is a bigger hitter than we've seen so far in the NHL. He's been smart enough to play safe as he finds his role.
true.

When he ot drafted he was a hitting machine. He was always going for the big hit He was then asked to tone it down and concentrate on learning to play the game. Once he feels he really belongs he will be a monster hitter.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
true.

When he ot drafted he was a hitting machine. He was always going for the big hit He was then asked to tone it down and concentrate on learning to play the game. Once he feels he really belongs he will be a monster hitter.
Hitting everybody in Jr.A and doing the same in the pros is a different ballgame. In the pros you pick your spots more because some guys can make you look bad if you take 3 strides to hit them and they make a cut turn it into a 2 on 1.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Hitting everybody in Jr.A and doing the same in the pros is a different ballgame. In the pros you pick your spots more because some guys can make you look bad if you take 3 strides to hit them and they make a cut turn it into a 2 on 1.
Very true, the one thing that's similar is that getting plastered by a guy who 6'6" and weighs 230 or 240 pounds (and can skate) is much, much worse than getting hit by a little guy. No substitute for size, as we long-suffering Montreal fans know all too well.

Old
09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Very true, the one thing that's similar is that getting plastered by a guy who 6'6" and weighs 230 or 240 pounds (and can skate) is much, much worse than getting hit by a little guy. No substitute for size, as we long-suffering Montreal fans know all too well.
It would help if you understood something about physics. Acceleration plays a bigger role than mass. A hit by Bégin or Bouillon, for example, can hurt more than a hit by Komisarek or O'Byrne if they come in at a slower velocity.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
It would help if you understood something about physics. Acceleration plays a bigger role than mass. A hit by Bégin or Bouillon, for example, can hurt more than a hit by Komisarek or O'Byrne if they come in at a slower velocity.
Um, if you're going to lecture me on physics, how about being less snide and more accurate. The formula is very straightforward Force= Mass times Acceleration. Which makes them equally important, (reduce either to zero and there is no force, reverse them and the result is the same, really) Anyway the acceleration factor is why I mentioned that the big guy has to be able to skate.

And if Komi or O'Byrne are coming it at the same velocity as, say Boullion, then force is considerably stronger.

Old
09-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Do we ever have a tendency of over evaluating our players in Montreal...
As much as overevaluating players on other teams.

As much as underrating our players too.

I hope you remember what people thought of Plekanec when he was in the AHL, and that even persisted after his first season, and look where he is now.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Toro

Quote:
Um, if you're going to lecture me on physics, how about being less snide and more accurate. The formula is very straightforward Force= Mass times Acceleration. Which makes them equally important, (reduce either to zero and there is no force, reverse them and the result is the same, really) Anyway the acceleration factor is why I mentioned that the big guy has to be able to skate.

And if Komi or O'Byrne are coming it at the same velocity as, say Boullion, then force is considerably stronger.
watch out for asterix, he says that O'byrne needs help with his skating. He is not very, what did he say again? something about not agile enough or not a good skater. anyway are you sure that o'byrne has the ability to track down an NHL player? i mean after all he needs so much help with his skating and all....that is his weakness aparently.

Old
09-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
watch out for asterix, he says that O'byrne needs help with his skating. He is not very, what did he say again? something about not agile enough or not a good skater. anyway are you sure that o'byrne has the ability to track down an NHL player? i mean after all he needs so much help with his skating and all....that is his weakness aparently.

He'll make up for it with his world-class puckhandling skills.

Old
09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Comparing Ryan O'Byrne with Bobby Orr is like comparing Guillaume Latendresse to Mario Lemieux.

****in' ridiculous. Whoever came up with that should have his internets karma point revoked.

He's a lot closer to Craig Ludwig than of Bobby Orr.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Comparing Ryan O'Byrne with Bobby Orr is like comparing Guillaume Latendresse to Mario Lemieux.

****in' ridiculous. Whoever came up with that should have his internets karma point revoked.

He's a lot closer to Craig Ludwig than of Bobby Orr.
read the who thread.....he was joking. All his posts are jokes

Old
09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I remember a talk with Yvon Pednault last year when I asked him exactly that : What do you make of Ryan O'byrne his answer made me lol allot :

A Rich man's Karl Dykhuis

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:05 PM
1UP

That's bad. O'Byrne is miles above Dykhuis.

I don't agree with the fact he has troubles with his speed. Of what I have seen in Hamilton and Montréal, he's fast, but lacks good positionning.

Nothing a year with our friend Hamrlik can't fix

Really, he is faster than Komisarek, and better than he was at the same age. Depending on if he has the heart and drive of the Komisaurus, he can be better than him.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:10 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
correction: O'Byrne does not need to carry a purse, every purse can be his purse if he wants it
Correction, If he brings his purse, Chuck Norris usually carries it for him.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Corey

Quote:

I haven't seen players crumple when O'Byrne hits them, so apparently he doesn't come in as forcefully as he might. He doesn't always commit himself.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote